Leicester City 2020-21

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
If you don't this year then its only twice..............Please note I do include you as part of the new 6 btw
I don't, obviously it's a long term aim but could take decades. Doing it naturally and without investment from the owners means you can't get away with too many mistakes. You look at say Man City and how they just chuck £50m at defenders constantly because they bought loads of duds, clubs like Leicester can't do that. You have to be almost perfect in everything you do to stand a chance.

That's why I keep saying this is far more than about Rodgers, just as the title win was more than about Ranieri. A good manager though he is and doing a cracking job. The club have got so much right, recruitment obviously being the major factor. It was clear whoever came in after Puel was going to have a brilliant set up to achieve, we'd all seen glimpses of how good the players could be. They were just wildly inconsistent, and much of that was job to how many young players we had in the squad and how many players we had player their first seasons in the league, plus Puel is just a bang average manager.

I don't know how many more times we need to challenge at the top of the league under different managers, before people look at the bigger picture and not just the manager. I still have to listen to Arsenal fans telling me their squad is so much better than ours, seemingly based on the fact they are arsenal and they've spent loads of money, rather than performances.

gajender

I don't, obviously it's a long term aim but could take decades. Doing it naturally and without investment from the owners means you can't get away with too many mistakes. You look at say Man City and how they just chuck £50m at defenders constantly because they bought loads of duds, clubs like Leicester can't do that. You have to be almost perfect in everything you do to stand a chance.

That's why I keep saying this is far more than about Rodgers, just as the title win was more than about Ranieri. A good manager though he is and doing a cracking job. The club have got so much right, recruitment obviously being the major factor. It was clear whoever came in after Puel was going to have a brilliant set up to achieve, we'd all seen glimpses of how good the players could be. They were just wildly inconsistent, and much of that was job to how many young players we had in the squad and how many players we had player their first seasons in the league, plus Puel is just a bang average manager.

I don't know how many more times we need to challenge at the top of the league under different managers, before people look at the bigger picture and not just the manager. I still have to listen to Arsenal fans telling me their squad is so much better than ours, seemingly based on the fact they are arsenal and they've spent loads of money, rather than performances.
You do realise and remember you broke FFP rules the year you won the promotion to Pl and had sponsorship deals with you Owners companies just like City so it's quite hypocritical to bring them up .
Just to make myself clear I am absolutely against FFP it's just the tool devised to protect the interests of the select few and make it harder for Other clubs to join the big table.

Robbie Boy

You said the squad had no right to be top 4, I disagree because I know how good many of the players are. What squads do you consider good enough exactly? Would you have said the same if it was Spurs there, I wouldn't have more than two or three of their players in our first choice 11.
Can you tell me who predicted Leicester to finish top four this season? There's no point in me listing out sides who I believe have a better squad as it's highly subjective. But you can reference the top four predictions thread on here and what pundits predicted at the start of the season. Did a large percentage/anyone have Leicester for a top four finish?

You seemed very upset over what I feel was a fair observation. You would swear I slated the squad, and I didn't appreciate your overly defensive post to my original post, which praised Rodgers and also said you have a 'good squad'. Defensive posts should be saved for when someone attacks your team/manager.

For what it's worth, I enjoy watching Leicester. I also happen to highly rate Rodgers and I can see he is elevating this squad to be better than it is. You can surely also appreciate that Rodgers has the players playing to a higher level than other coaches would be capable of.

If Klopp walks away from Liverpool tomorrow, the likes of Robertson, TAA, Salah and Wijnaldum won't look anywhere near as good as he has made them look. Look at United as a prime example: People thought when Fergie retired that we would pick up where we left off. Despite the fact that Moyes was left with a title winning team, he had us looking appalling and finishing 7th. He also won titles with the likes of Cleverley, Anderson and Welbeck regularly looking quite good and useful players. Do you think another manager would have done as well as Fergie with that squad? Well we know the answer. United fans also never had an issue acknowledging it was simply the Fergie factor that won us titles with some of our weaker squads, and acknowledged that we probably hadn't got the best squad in the league.

You don't seem to understand, or are being deliberately obtuce when it comes to the direct correlation between top managers and teams punching above their weight. If Rodgers leaves tomorrow - unless a Rose or Nagelsmann type come in - Leicester won't look as good as they do. It's only my opinion of course, but I firmly believe it. Now don't misconstrue that for saying you'll slip into abject mediocrity, as I am not stating that and never have. I'm simply saying, another less talented manager will struggle to get as much out of that squad.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
You do realise and remember you broke FFP rules the year you won the promotion to Pl and had sponsorship deals with you Owners companies just like City so it's quite hypocritical to bring them up .
Just to make myself clear I am absolutely against FFP it's just the tool devised to protect the interests of the select few and make it harder for Other clubs to join the big table.
What's FFP got to do with it, the owners stopped putting money in about 7 years ago. The rules said if you spend over x amount, then you get fined and that's what happened. You seem to be missing out the fact that FFP didn't exist when our owners arrived, they spent money to get in players on long contracts and then the league decide they decide they are going to introduce FFP, with a time frame that came in before the contracts of all our players even ended. So they can f*** their FFP. Plus, most of the teams down there have failed FFP at one point or another.

Whether it's City, or You or any of the other bigger clubs. The point was, you and they can spend sums of money far beyond what anyone else can. (I'm not criticising it, I'm just stating a fact) And that means you can recover from poor signings far easier.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Can you tell me who predicted Leicester to finish top four this season? There's no point in me listing out sides who I believe have a better squad as it's highly subjective. But you can reference the top four predictions thread on here and what pundits predicted at the start of the season. Did a large percentage/anyone have Leicester for a top four finish?

You seemed very upset over what I feel was a fair observation. You would swear I slated the squad, and I didn't appreciate your overly defensive post to my original post, which praised Rodgers and also said you have a 'good squad'. Defensive posts should be saved for when someone attacks your team/manager.

For what it's worth, I enjoy watching Leicester. I also happen to highly rate Rodgers and I can see he is elevating this squad to be better than it is. You can surely also appreciate that Rodgers has the players playing to a higher level than other coaches would be capable of.

If Klopp walks away from Liverpool tomorrow, the likes of Robertson, TAA, Salah and Wijnaldum won't look anywhere near as good as he has made them look. Look at United as a prime example: People thought when Fergie retired that we would pick up where we left off. Despite the fact that Moyes was left with a title winning team, he had us looking appalling and finishing 7th. He also won titles with the likes of Cleverley, Anderson and Welbeck regularly looking quite good and useful players. Do you think another manager would have done as well as Fergie with that squad? Well we know the answer. United fans also never had an issue acknowledging it was simply the Fergie factor that won us titles with some of our weaker squads, and acknowledged that we probably hadn't got the best squad in the league.

You don't seem to understand, or are being deliberately obtuce when it comes to the direct correlation between top managers and teams punching above their weight. If Rodgers leaves tomorrow - unless a Rose or Nagelsmann type come in - Leicester won't look as good as they do. It's only my opinion of course, but I firmly believe it. Now don't misconstrue that for saying you'll slip into abject mediocrity, as I am not stating that and never have. I'm simply saying, another less talented manager will struggle to get as much out of that squad.
First off, lets start again. I apologise for coming across overly defensive. It's just that once you've heard your team written off as a freak one off, a fluke, worst champions ever or a million other things from people who don't know your team, you tend to be on the defensive a lot. Apologies.

Back to the point, I don't care what pundits or other fans predict before a ball is kicked. They don't watch every second of every Leicester game, understand where our weaknesses were, reasons we might have been underperforming etc.

To simplify that, no united fan or pundit knew Harvery Barnes was any good, they'd probably never even heard of him. But those of us who followed the club and followed him, could see that he was smashing it at every level he went to. We had a very high degree of confidence that he was capable of being a top player. So in terms of the team, am I shocked to see us here again... no. I think we've got a brilliantly balanced team with some cracking players.

Under Puel we had glimpses of great stuff, but so many players were very very raw and obviously needed time. We also needed a creative midfielder, it was obvious having to play two DM's stunted our creativity. The second Tielemans arrived, the potential sky rocketed even further and it was obvious he was the key. He's the player that can elevate a team a 6th / 7th / 8th team to something potentially greater.

That was obvious when he arrived and it was obvious after Puel got sacked and before Rodgers even had his feet under the desk. We hit good form before Rodgers had a chance to make much impact at all, the Puel shackles were off** and the major problem was fixed.

Of course manager make a difference, I'm not arguing that. My argument is that I DO think this squad has top 4 ability, what Rodgers can do is elevate that even further to a team capable of a bit more. We're arguing about a place or two in reality here, I'm just saying don't underestimate the squad or the other elements that make us what we are at the moment.

** He'd dumped most of the title winners and clearly made himself hated in the process.

Patchbeard

First off, lets start again. I apologise for coming across overly defensive. It's just that once you've heard your team written off as a freak one off, a fluke, worst champions ever or a million other things from people who don't know your team, you tend to be on the defensive a lot. Apologies.

Back to the point, I don't care what pundits or other fans predict before a ball is kicked. They don't watch every second of every Leicester game, understand where our weaknesses were, reasons we might have been underperforming etc.

To simplify that, no united fan or pundit knew Harvery Barnes was any good, they'd probably never even heard of him. But those of us who followed the club and followed him, could see that he was smashing it at every level he went to. We had a very high degree of confidence that he was capable of being a top player. So in terms of the team, am I shocked to see us here again... no. I think we've got a brilliantly balanced team with some cracking players.

Under Puel we had glimpses of great stuff, but so many players were very very raw and obviously needed time. We also needed a creative midfielder, it was obvious having to play two DM's stunted our creativity. The second Tielemans arrived, the potential sky rocketed even further and it was obvious he was the key. He's the player that can elevate a team a 6th / 7th / 8th team to something potentially greater.

That was obvious when he arrived and it was obvious after Puel got sacked and before Rodgers even had his feet under the desk. We hit good form before Rodgers had a chance to make much impact at all, the Puel shackles were off** and the major problem was fixed.

Of course manager make a difference, I'm not arguing that. My argument is that I DO think this squad has top 4 ability, what Rodgers can do is elevate that even further to a team capable of a bit more. We're arguing about a place or two in reality here, I'm just saying don't underestimate the squad or the other elements that make us what we are at the moment.

** He'd dumped most of the title winners and clearly made himself hated in the process.
Anyone who follows the Championship would've known the potential Barnes had. He then struggled a bit in the first half of the season for you when he came back from the West Brom loan as he seemed to be rushing things and snatching at chances too much, but it would've been a smart move from any of the big sides to make a move for him at that time rather than wait for him to inevitably perform at the top level. Ah well, he's another 50m+ player you have on your hands now!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They are a good side, but they won’t get near the title. 4th would be an unbelievable season for them & would show great mental strength considering their collapse last season.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Anyone who follows the Championship would've known the potential Barnes had. He then struggled a bit in the first half of the season for you when he came back from the West Brom loan as he seemed to be rushing things and snatching at chances too much, but it would've been a smart move from any of the big sides to make a move for him at that time rather than wait for him to inevitably perform at the top level. Ah well, he's another 50m+ player you have on your hands now!
Yeah absolutely, he was getting in the positions, he was getting the chances and just snatching at stuff. Home town club and all that, you could tell he just needed a few goals to settle him down.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
In a year such as this one they are Mahrez away from winning the title.
Quite possibly yes, we do feel perhaps that one player short at the moment.

To that what I'd say is that I think we're a more rounded team now compared to back then. We added more quality in other areas, Ricardo > Simpson, Tielemans > Drinkwater, Maddison > Okazaki and Barnes numbers could be close to matching Mahrez.

So what we lost in sheer individual brilliance, we added some individual brilliance in other areas, albeit not quite to his level.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
or a vardy injury away from mid table - its a strange year
Vardy has what, 5 goals in open play? He's not been in the best form either the last few weeks and we're on a good run. An outstanding player no doubt, at the moment I think we'd miss his presence more than what he's doing on the pitch.

I think he's struggling with the niggling hip injury a bit.

RooneyLegend

Quite possibly yes, we do feel perhaps that one player short at the moment.

To that what I'd say is that I think we're a more rounded team now compared to back then. We added more quality in other areas, Ricardo > Simpson, Tielemans > Drinkwater, Maddison > Okazaki and Barnes numbers could be close to matching Mahrez.

So what we lost in sheer individual brilliance, we added some individual brilliance in other areas, albeit not quite to his level.
You guys get zero productivity from where he used to play. His type of play would elevate that attack. Everything else seems pretty set. This team is a better side than the title winning side outside of Mahrez.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Vardy has what, 5 goals in open play? He's not been in the best form either the last few weeks and we're on a good run. An outstanding player no doubt, at the moment I think we'd miss his presence more than what he's doing on the pitch.

I think he's struggling with the niggling hip injury a bit.
Yes I think his presence would be a big blow - but also the fact that hes so different in style to his probable replacement (Iheanacho I guess) that the team would have to play / set up differently and in a way that probably wouldnt suit several of them as well... vardy stretches teams and makes space for others... Iheanacho does not have that kind of movement (seems a long time ago people were saying he was better than rashford)

I'm hoping Vardy stays fit - leicester get in the CL and somehow southgate persuades Vardy to go to the Euros (if it happens... perhaps tell him he will throw him a big party)

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
You guys get zero productivity from where he used to play. His type of play would elevate that attack. Everything else seems pretty set. This team is a better side than the title winning side outside of Mahrez.
Yes and no, don't forget Albrighton was on the left in the title winning team. He's on the right now and Barnes is on the left. So it feels fairly similar to then. But we are definitely in the market for a winger, Under looked good. But like at Roma he's struggling with injuries. Noises are someone like Thauvin.

Robbie Boy

No problem at all, apologies accepted. I suppose the thing is, I've always spoken positively about Leicester on here and I found it a peculiar post to become defensive about.

To be fair, regarding predictions and pundits; the same can be said about their predictions regarding any team, not just Leicester. So by your assertion, all predictions are moot. This simply isn't true as a-lot of statistical work actually goes into certain predictions especially when it comes to betting odds etc. Given the diverse range of people who make predictions around these types of things; if you average it out, you'll generally get a good gauge. I posted a link down the bottom of the page regarding top 6 predictions for this season. Not one mention of Leicester in the top four from over 300 posts. Now bear in mind, the responses are from a diverse range of posters and not just United fans.

Now, you may think predictions are a load of hogwash and you're fully entitled to your opinion. But for me, it's a fair reflection of where I see this Leicester squad to be. It's a good squad, that I would have predicted to finish around 5th to 7th. You're saying there's not much between 4th and 5th, but that's not necessarily true. How many sides have broken the top four monopoly over the years? Now compare that to 5th place; there's been plenty of random sides that finished 5th and no one cares nor remembers them. There's a certain mentality required to finish in the top four with an unfancied side and a top class manager is required to do so. Even with a very good squad, it's still a very tough ask for an unfancied side to finish there. It's why so many have come relatively close over the years but ultimately failed. For me, a good squad needs a really good manager to actually achieve it.

I also don't agree really about not knowing the Leicester players etc. In this day and age, a decent football fan has a pretty good idea about most of the sides in the league. The amount of football broadcast on tv along with the internet etc makes that fairly easy. For example, I remember some on here talking about Barnes long before he broke into the Leicester side. There's also some on here talking about KDH and I myself, have taken an interest in him due to the hype. Many fans, including myself will have teams we take an interest in. For me, Leicester are one of those as I find Rodgers a fascinateing manager and I enjoy his style of play. I also enjoyed his Celtic team and look what happened to them after he left. Now I wouldn't tune into a Celtic game if it was the only ball on tv.

To label non-Leicester fans as not fit to make judgements on your team is disingenuous and not factually accutare. I mean, there's mostly United fans on here, but it doesn't mean that I don't find some of their opinions utterly nonsical and often the oppo fans can be more objective.

So it's really down to subjective opinions at the end of the day. You think Leicester were going to challenge for top four whereas the overwhelming majority would have predicted a 5th to 7th place finish. I find that totally fair, thus I think Rodgers is performing better than the sum of his parts. Maybe Leicester will end up finishing between 5th and 7th, which would be par for the course. But maybe it would be seen as slightly disappointing given their positon and form just now.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/predict-the-top-6-20-21-in-order.456505/

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

Yes and no, don't forget Albrighton was on the left in the title winning team. He's on the right now and Barnes is on the left. So it feels fairly similar to then. But we are definitely in the market for a winger, Under looked good. But like at Roma he's struggling with injuries. Noises are someone like Thauvin.
It's a pretty easy equation if you ask me. The team structure has changed somewhat so it's not exactly apples vs apples. That team had a second striker(Okazaki) and thus one has a playmaker(Maddison). Barnes, even tactically isn't to this team what Mahrez was to that team. So comparing them is a moot point. Someone like Fekir would be great for you guys. That in just hasnt convinced so far in his career.

hubbuh

How the feck do they replace Vardy?! Mad that he's 34, it'll be a shame when he retires.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
How the feck do they replace Vardy?! Mad that he's 34, it'll be a shame when he retires.
General thought process amongst the fans is that you spread that workload around. As was pointed out a minute ago, we need more from the right wing. So you aim to upgrade the right wing spo

hubbuh

General thought process amongst the fans is that you spread that workload around. As was pointed out a minute ago, we need more from the right wing. So you aim to upgrade the right wing spo
Yeah, players invariably come and go of course. He just seems so iconic to the current Leicester team. He'd be soon forgotten if properly replaced (in the nicest possible way). Signing forward players isn't easy, I reckon you'll need a couple if you want to keep competing.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Yeah, players invariably come and go of course. He just seems so iconic to the current Leicester team. He'd be soon forgotten if properly replaced (in the nicest possible way). Signing forward players isn't easy, I reckon you'll need a couple if you want to keep competing.
Yeah definitely, it'll be one in this summer (Iheanacho Out) and a right winger, then another Striker the summer after.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Vardy having a hernia op, clearly not been fit and they were trying to get to this point, wouldn't have played at Brentford anyway and will likely miss 1 league game, of course this has lead to SSN linking it to the KDB injury for Man City and acting like the sky has fallen, Perez in his games as the lead striker has played very well, Firminho like in application

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
In a year such as this one they are Mahrez away from winning the title.
Sadly we still haven't managed to replace him.

It is a tough one as the money from him allowed us to invest in the team, but he was probably the hardest player to ever replace.

We have Under now on loan, he is no Mahrez but has potential. However I think he doesn't suit Rodgers system as isn't often picked in the league.

Personally I do not think we title contenders, the year we won it all the normal contenders had an off season at the same time, I think we have a chance of top 4 though.

Supports
England
Not that anyone cares, but being a Leicester fan is pretty good, we love a massive drama.
I can imagine it is, mate! The rollercoaster of the last decade is one of the all-time great football tales. Leicester's league win was great for the league as a whole too (which as a neutral is more important to me than any one team winning it).

Good luck for this season.

RashyForPM

It is a tough one as the money from him allowed us to invest in the team, but he was probably the hardest player to ever replace.

We have Under now on loan, he is no Mahrez but has potential. However I think he doesn't suit Rodgers system as isn't often picked in the league.

Personally I do not think we title contenders, the year we won it all the normal contenders had an off season at the same time, I think we have a chance of top 4 though.
Considering Albrighton still starts and Barnes has generally eclipsed Maheez performances over the last two seasons, I’d argue that he is the replacement.

Supports
England
It's tiring to see an innocuous comment being picked on and turned into a senseless argument. Sometimes opposition fan need to stop being so defensive and learn to see both sides of the coin. After Leicester won the league and they dropped off massively the following season with Claudio Ranieri fired, they were in freefall and just became a mid-table team yoyoing around the league. Their league position in the next 2 seasons after they won the league were 12th and 9th. One need to take into consideration of them in irrelevancy before Brendan Rodgers joined, it wasn't until he came and they actually became a top team again. They finished 5th and almost finished 4th if it wasn't for their drop in form after the league restarted. Let's not forget our last game of last season was against them and they would have pipped us to 4th if we had lost to them which was honestly a possibility. There was a thread saying when they would break the top 6 monopoly. For me, they've already broken it. They are ahead of Arsenal now.
Agree. On most club forums, neutrals and fans of other teams are barely tolerated, if they are tolerated at all. On Spurs' TFC, I'm the only semi-respected neutral member that I'm aware of. People should always remember that they're taking advantage of a courtesy being extended to them when they post opposing viewpoints.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Considering Albrighton still starts and Barnes has generally eclipsed Maheez performances over the last two seasons, I’d argue that he is the replacement.
in terms of creativity its Maddison and Tielemans that have replaced him

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

This guy will do the trick and also he can cover Maddison spot. Brooks, Maddison, Tielemans together are pretty more than enough to replace Mahrez creativity.

Pep's Suit

Is Ünder that bad? €3m loan fee + €24m obligation has to make him one of the worst signings this season.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Is Ünder that bad? €3m loan fee + €24m obligation has to make him one of the worst signings this season.
its an option not an obligation, he's had a few injuries and club have concerns about overall fitness and ability to cope with the physicality of the league, he'll get his chance though

Pep's Suit

its an option not an obligation, he's had a few injuries and club have concerns about overall fitness and ability to cope with the physicality of the league, he'll get his chance though
Romano said it's an obligation so was wrong, I guess.

Bojan11

Looking at that Liverpool defence and no Fabinho, this is a big chance for them in their hopes for top four.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
big win today to recover from a horrible first half, Evans and Perez back next match and crucially a full week off between games for the first time in months.

Dennis Praet isn't far off returning either, Vardy getting sharper by the match and he and Iheanacho linking up well

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
They are a good side, but they won’t get near the title. 4th would be an unbelievable season for them & would show great mental strength considering their collapse last season.
I wonder if their fans will be celebrating 2 5th place finishes on the bounce if they happen to end up there.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I wonder if their fans will be celebrating 2 5th place finishes on the bounce if they happen to end up there.
While I am hoping for a top four finish I wouldn't be devastated to finish 5th two seasons in a row. We have come a long way to be even considered top six regulars but also know that our owners will not be satisfied with that.
The difference between the the elite & the also rans is always going to be squad depth. The big boys can make it through a rash of injuries but Leicester don't have the same level of coverage & are fighting for results.
But if you offered me back to back 5th place finishes in the premier league six years ago I would have ripped your hand off.

Reactions: Cheimoon

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Agree. On most club forums, neutrals and fans of other teams are barely tolerated, if they are tolerated at all. On Spurs' TFC, I'm the only semi-respected neutral member that I'm aware of. People should always remember that they're taking advantage of a courtesy being extended to them when they post opposing viewpoints.
I read a lot of forums. This is by far the best, almost like a football magazine. A big credit to you.