Leicester City 2020-21

Stacks

Yeh and I said at the time that Spurs team is bang average and I’ve been incredibly consistent in that view. They have two world class players, but the rest of their team is really boring special at all. Leicester have a better defensive, midfield and Vardy is himself excellent. They have a very good team.
fair enough

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Sorry, but no. Our squad is very very decent, suggesting it's all down to him misses the point massively. Just as it did when people put the title win down to Ranieri. Just because you don't know a player or didn't spend £60m on a player, doesn't mean he's not a very good player.

The people at the top of this club are sensational, this isn't getting lucky with a manager. It's having a plan and sticking to it, with as faultless execution as you could possibly expect. Of course you need a decent manager, but he's a cog in a machine.
I agree. It's the players and the manager... Not just down to one.

Robbie Boy

I agree. It's the players and the manager... Not just down to one.
Thing is, no one suggested it's 'just' Rodgers. The post I responded to was about Rodgers and I was merely praising his work while also acknowledging that there is a good team there. It's like Liverpool, the players of course have played a massive part in their recent success but Klopp has clearly elevated them. That poster is enraged over nothing whatsoever.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Thing is, no one suggested it's 'just' Rodgers. The post I responded to was about Rodgers and I was merely praising his work while also acknowledging that there is a good team there. It's like Liverpool, the players of course have played a massive part in their recent success but Klopp has clearly elevated them. That poster is enraged over nothing whatsoever.
Exactly. The other guy also said "its not just Ranieri", easy to play down managers role.

There are managers who hold the team back and then there are managers who get more than sum of the parts.

If Klopp resigns today, Liverpool won't be title favorites.

Cornish

Leicester are a perfect example of a club where building a culture from the very top has bred success. The current team is so likeable- Maddison, Evans, Schmeichel, Justin, Fofana etc. are all players you would just 'like' if they played for your club.
Again when they won the league- It was a group of players who were likeable. They all had the right mentality.
The club recruitment team clearly look at and take into account the personality of potential targets as well as raw talent.

If you compare this to other clubs that have been underachieving in the last few years. For example, Newcastle, West Ham, Us
You don't look at those sort of teams starting XI's in recent years and think "I like that team, I know they'll go out and try their best week in week out" do you? Even though they may have slightly more talented players technically.

Shows there's a lot more to recruiting the right players for your club rather than looking at raw talent alone in order to build a successful team.

Reactions: Invictus

Robbie Boy

Exactly. The other guy also said "its not just Ranieri", easy to play down managers role.

There are managers who hold the team back and then there are managers who get more than sum of the parts.

If Klopp resigns today, Liverpool won't be title favorites.
Exactly. Clearly praising a manager or acknowledging that top coaches elevate teams is wrong according to that poster. I would understand if I insinuated Leicester were rubbish but I literally said in my first post that they have a good side.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Leicester are a perfect example of a club where building a culture from the very top has bred success. The current team is so likeable- Maddison, Evans, Schmeichel, Justin, Fofana etc. are all players you would just 'like' if they played for your club.
Again when they won the league- It was a group of players who were likeable. They all had the right mentality.
The club recruitment team clearly look at and take into account the personality of potential targets as well as raw talent.

If you compare this to other clubs that have been underachieving in the last few years. For example, Newcastle, West Ham, Us
You don't look at those sort of teams starting XI's in recent years and think "I like that team, I know they'll go out and try their best week in week out" do you? Even though they may have slightly more talented players technically.

Shows there's a lot more to recruiting the right players for your club rather than looking at raw talent alone in order to build a successful team.
United have changed the procedure for recruiting players - they have based it more on personality and personal traits rather than purely on talent alone.

Having a winning culture only happens when everyone is onboard with the design, look at Cruyff at Barca, look at Fergie at United. Leicester have tapped into this right from the owners, little things such as buying the fans beers, giving away free merch on game days, having the owners discuss openly the clubs ideas with the fans, all brings every element together in the club.

United are getting there now - we've seen elements of this come together under Ole, and Ole has alluded previously to the searching of players with the right mental attributes. Leicester are a few years ahead of us in this building process, hence the relative success they have got - winning the league and now being classed as a big 6 team.

Obviously it cannot be left out that leicester have spent serious amounts of money too in the last three/four years so that always helps if the recruitment is done right.

The unfortunate thing with a club like Leicester is whilst they are a rich club, if they don't get Champions league football consistently then they will find themselves in the best of the rest pile and never make the step up.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Brenton is a shite manager so they'll go nowhere with him realistically. Thankfully.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Obviously it cannot be left out that leicester have spent serious amounts of money too in the last three/four years so that always helps if the recruitment is done right.
we have but, I'd have to check, but I'd imagine our net spend would be quite low, in the last 4 years we sold Drinkwater for £35m, Mahrez for £60m, Maguire for £80m and Chilwell for £50m.

In fact our more expensive players tended to be the biggest flops, Maddison (£25-30m), Tielemans (£40m) and Fofana (£30m) being the big exceptions

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Fair play. I didn't read all the backstory. I just hope that Leicester forget that they loaned KDH to Luton...

Stacks

Areet Gary Neville. No one liked Evans when he was here. Its more so that our players constantly have media scrutinising every breath they take and overcriticizes them on every performance and action. Even last season when Leicester crumbled no one cared. When we missed top 4 we had ex pros all up on Sky Sports saying I don't like any of them and want the entire team sold. Its easy to appear "likeable" when you go under the radar with no pressure. Weren't Maddison a gambler?
Why are their players likeable? because they are over achieving? People disliked Arsenal players when they became shit and called them, weak, soft etc when the reality is they weren't good enough. When they were a champion winning team there was none of that. its just down to results.

Man Utd have a player who has just guaranteed meals to every British child in Rashford. Is that not Likeable? Fred tries his best, as does McTominay, Matic, Maguire. are they "likeable?"

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Fair play. I didn't read all the backstory. I just hope that Leicester forget that they loaned KDH to Luton...
Dewsbury-Hall will be in our first team squad next season but I would expect we would be more that willing to loan Luton players again, working well for everyone.

We don't have a real back up to Tielemans, KDH will fill that spot nicely and will likely take Choudhury's place in the squad

hubbuh

It's shrewd business as opposed to fleecing. They work on a 'supply and demand' model and are well positioned to charge what they want. If clubs are willing to overpay for the likes of Maguire and Chilwell then why not set their prices high. Ndidi would indeede cost a fortune and they're well within their rights to charge what they want.
Yeah, hence the more the power to them part. Fleecing is just an informal colloquialism for 'overpricing in the hopes of scaring off'. Teams have transfer policies that can be effectively reduced to 'fleecing', though, depending on one's interpretation of what a fleecing constitutes, and clubs are well within their rights to do so - the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Bucket loads of people accused Dortmund of attempting to fleece us for Sancho, for example.

hubbuh

Areet Gary Neville. No one liked Evans when he was here. Its more so that our players constantly have media scrutinising every breath they take and overcriticizes them on every performance and action. Even last season when Leicester crumbled no one cared. When we missed top 4 we had ex pros all up on Sky Sports saying I don't like any of them and want the entire team sold. Its easy to appear "likeable" when you go under the radar with no pressure. Weren't Maddison a gambler?
Why are their players likeable? because they are over achieving? People disliked Arsenal players when they became shit and called them, weak, soft etc when the reality is they weren't good enough. When they were a champion winning team there was none of that. its just down to results.

Man Utd have a player who has just guaranteed meals to every British child in Rashford. Is that not Likeable? Fred tries his best, as does McTominay, Matic, Maguire. are they "likeable?"
Also, is Maddison likeable?! All reports have him down as a proper arrogant cnut.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Dewsbury-Hall will be in our first team squad next season but I would expect we would be more that willing to loan Luton players again, working well for everyone.

We don't have a real back up to Tielemans, KDH will fill that spot nicely and will likely take Choudhury's place in the squad
Yeah I hope this loan and the deal with JJ has created a nice bond between the clubs.

Unlike Sheffield United, who recalled Norrington-Davies only to loan him to Stoke. Glad they're struggling :lol:

Cave wait to see KDH in the PL. Hopefully tears it up!

On a side note, Choudhury is a very distant relative of mine so hope he keeps his place :lol:

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Yeah, hence the more the power to them part. Fleecing is just an informal colloquialism for 'overpricing in the hopes of scaring off'. Teams have transfer policies that can be effectively reduced to 'fleecing', though, depending on one's interpretation of what a fleecing constitutes, and are well within their rights to do so - the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Bucket loads of people accused Dortmund of attempting to fleece us for Sancho, for example.
Yeah, it was more just how I would phrase it that's all. I would use fleecing as a term with more negative connotations attached.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
we have but, I'd have to check, but I'd imagine our net spend would be quite low, in the last 4 years we sold Drinkwater for £35m, Mahrez for £60m, Maguire for £80m and Chilwell for £50m.

In fact our more expensive players tended to be the biggest flops, Maddison (£25-30m), Tielemans (£40m) and Fofana (£30m) being the big exceptions
Don't get me started about net spend - I hate this constant low net spend issue amongst football fans.

Clubs always have to sell players in order to make room for new ones - it just so happens that leicester players shine in a collective team and so inherently cost more both due to leicester not needing the money so much and not needing to sell, and the players looking above their suggested level due to the collective team ethic present at leicester.

The fact then remains that Leicester have spent close to £100m in the past three seasons bar the window just gone. Nothing wrong with that at all by the way - just seems to slide on by when people discuss Leicester. Lets not forget they had to settle their FFP penalty, had been paying ridiculous wages and had numerous dodgy sponsorship deals before joining the Premiership!

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
I was strictly talking about on here mate. Check any of the threads on here around the time of his transfer and you'll see the nauseating arguments and agendas from salty Leicester fans. They were also consistently called out on it. There were probably more balanced opinions on Leicester fan forums alright.

And believe me, I wasn't for signing him at all. I was highly critcical of the OTT praise for him during the 2018 WC. I think he's just above average but he has improved our poor defence and at least he manages to stay fit.
Fair enough, I'll take your word for it!

And for what it's worth, I think he's a great defender. Would have been upset to lose him had it not involved a ridiculous amount of money.

Jezpeza

Its a two pronged approach at Leicester for me.

They are a likeable run club. Good fanbase. Sell players at the right time like maguire and chilwell as to not corrupt the dressing room. Haven't missed either in my opinion. They Scout players that fit their system so get better bang for buck, and strike Intelligent deals like praet and evans. Have a Good manager/coach as rodgers obviously improves players. Good financial model, good football. Good youth system. Just got a belter of a new training ground.
They have some belting players too, Ndidi for example can play for any team in the world.

The other side is theres no expectation on them - anywhere north of 8th is probably okay for them. If they lose 5 draw 2 win 3 of their next 10 there wont be a media inquest, the fans wont tear each other apart for rodgers to be sacked, or for half the team to be replaced.

i guess the questions going forward are how they replace vardy at some point (though any good mobile forward could potentially slot into his role), and if they can accept finishing 5th one season and 10th the next. Without huge investment i dont see them having the squad depth to get huge success on european and domestic fronts. Do they Just stick as annual dark horses and over achievers or go for more? But then if they do splash cash that brings the pressure of winning something or trying to be established top 4 and potentially you get the wrong people in the dressing room or the manager is sacked and it all unravels.

Cornish

Yes this is exactly what I'm getting at. By likeable I mean players that always look like they give their all, try their best and you appreciate are fully committed to your club- even if they may not necessarily be the best technically.
I'd say we have a much more likeable team now than we did say 2,3,4 years ago. Players like the ones you've listed are exactly the type you need in a successful team, which by no coincidence we're now doing a lot better.

Maddison comes across as a decent guy in my opinion, don't know his background but I'd classify him as likeable. Thought he came across really well in his post match interview. I'd say the same with Vardy, even though he loves winding up the opposition players & fans.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He's such a beast. I think we'll be back fighting relegation one he's taken back :(
I'm looking forward to seeing him play for Leicester next season. Going to be tough for him with Tielemans, Maddison & Praet ahead of him though.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Tbf, a-lot of Leicester fans on here maintained Chilwell was good but not amazing, and this was long before he left.

The salt over Maguire was bloody hilarious, though. The opinions on him greatly changed when he left and apparently Evans was always better.

50 Million. :)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don't rate him tbh. I think he's very average and getting 50m for him was great business.
Couldn't agree more. I think Shaw is a far better player, I don't understand how he isn't walking into the England team.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Controversial but I don't really like Leicester as a club. I've never felt any real buzz at the King Power having been a few times. Sometimes I wonder if the shift to crowd-less stadiums has affected them less because they've never been reliant on having a 12th man, so to speak. Maybe in 15/16.

The fans are good posters on here though so I hope this doesn't insult anyone. I can only really compare the experience to going to OT.

Edit - They're also good at work. Often they just seem surprised they're doing so well.

Robbie Boy

Couldn't agree more. I think Shaw is a far better player, I don't understand how he isn't walking into the England team.
For another thread but aye. Seems no matter what Shaw does, people refuse to rate him. He's been excellent for a good 18 months now. Maybe his reputation was tarnished because of Jose, I really don't know.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
the fact Shaw seems to be made of Chocolate and constantly seems to get injured doesn't help his cause, Chilwell got in for England in the first place because Shaw was injured, if a manager feels he can't rely on your availability then he won't select you

TrustInJanuzaj

For another thread but aye. Seems no matter what Shaw does, people refuse to rate him. He's been excellent for a good 18 months now. Maybe his reputation was tarnished because of Jose, I really don't know.
Yeh, it's very strange. I know amongst my friends all they really say/joke about is his weight and him not looking fit which I think has gone some way to impacting peoples perception on him. Fortunately, most of them were watching against Liverpool and he was exceptional. Anyway, apologies for taking the thread off-topic.

TrustInJanuzaj

the fact Shaw seems to be made of Chocolate and constantly seems to get injured doesn't help his cause, Chilwell got in for England in the first place because Shaw was injured, if a manager feels he can't rely on your availability then he won't select you
Sure but he's mainly been available for Utd over the last 18 months. I do seem to recall one call up where he was in the squad and dropped out through injury though.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Sure but he's mainly been available for Utd over the last 18 months. I do seem to recall one call up where he was in the squad and dropped out through injury though.
there have been a few squads where he was suddenly injured after playing for United, then fit again shortly after

TrustInJanuzaj

there have been a few squads where he was suddenly injured after playing for United, then fit again shortly after
Yeah, that could certainly be his issue. I do think he goes slightly under the radar as a player though too. To be honest, it's probably best for Utd as it minimises the chance of him getting injured.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Cave wait to see KDH in the PL. Hopefully tears it up!

On a side note, Choudhury is a very distant relative of mine so hope he keeps his place :lol:
Brendan has stated that Hamza Choudhury is for sale as he cannot get playing time at Leicester. KDH will probably take his spot next season.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I don’t think being likeable comes into it. Good attitude and professional yes but likeable? Not having that. United sides have always had cnuts. Look at schmeichel, Neville, keane, ince, McClair, Hughes, cantona, scholes. All players who could be dirty and hated by the opposition. Being likeable belongs to arsenal

RooneyLegend

It's a stupid train of thought. What is Rodgers doing that is beyond the grasp of the two best managers in the league? Is it man management? Is it tactics? Coaching? Media relations?

I'm sure if Pep or Klopp were available and Rodgers left Leicester would be happy to bring either coach aboard. It's only on the internet that stupid debates like these exist.
It's ludicrous. They acting as though Leicester is on pace to get 100 points like those two have proven they can get a team to.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
It's ludicrous. They acting as though Leicester is on pace to get 100 points like those two have proven they can get a team to.
Klopp would succeed with us no doubt, Pep has never had to work with less though, he's always been at the richest club in the league so its harder to tell how he would do on a tighter budget where he can't spend £40-50m on players in the same position year after year, I'd like to see him do it to be fair as I think he'd do well and it would shut down that argument but there is a slight bit of merit to it

RooneyLegend

Klopp would succeed with us no doubt, Pep has never had to work with less though, he's always been at the richest club in the league so its harder to tell how he would do on a tighter budget where he can't spend £40-50m on players in the same position year after year, I'd like to see him do it to be fair as I think he'd do well and it would shut down that argument but there is a slight bit of merit to it
He didn't spend much at Barca to have them playing some of the best football we've ever seen. It goes beyond the prices of players and more into the qualities players have. If you can recruit really technical players at a decent price, then your team would be successful even under Pep.

No matter how you paint it, Rodgers isn't on Pep or Klopps level. You can give him a huge club and he ain't producing what they produce. We've seen his work at a big club. He's done nothing special at Leicester. There's a lot of mediocrity in the league at the moment due to a plethora of reasons.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Exactly. Clearly praising a manager or acknowledging that top coaches elevate teams is wrong according to that poster. I would understand if I insinuated Leicester were rubbish but I literally said in my first post that they have a good side.
You said the squad had no right to be top 4, I disagree because I know how good many of the players are. What squads do you consider good enough exactly? Would you have said the same if it was Spurs there, I wouldn't have more than two or three of their players in our first choice 11.