PL L FA Premier League

Leicester City 5:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 September 2014

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This was such a weird game. Very exciting beginning, some brilliant offensive play and then an utter catastrophe defensively. I have never seen a team play so well up front and so ridiculously bad in defence.

We could beat Chelsea 4-1 at Stamford and lose to Hull 5-0 at Old Trafford the way we are playing now.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
How was Evans shocking? The only thing he did questionable was not mark Ulloa for their first goal but that's between him and Rafael letting him go free so not solely his fault.

Blackett was at fault for 2 of the goals. Their 4th he was in no man's land. Should have tracked Vardy instead of what he did or try to push up and play him offside. Then giving away the penalty.
The game has become a bit of a blur now but in the short time he was on I remember 3 or so mistakes where he was lucky it didn't cost us. He's totally lost his confidence and as a consequence seems to be making a lot of school boy errors. So many goals I don't recollect Blackett being out of position for the 4th. I'll rewatch if I feel up to it.

roykeane19

I dont understand how they were given the first penalty, first obviously he blatantly fouls Rafael, the secondly he dived at the slightest touch, the guy should have been booked not awarded a penalty

Clatterberg should not be in the PL, hes a ref who thinks hes a celebrity, and loves the attention of being in the papers

Nice to see the MEN are keeping an eye on us here. We're providing plenty of entertainment for everyone at the moment. Yet another barely believable result for us.

Red Cafe

Ole's bodyguard: That capitulation is very similar to last season and is so unlike United sides of old. When the going got tough, we collapsed. People can spin that performance anyway they want, it was a complete disgrace how we reacted to them getting a second goal.

wyoManU: At least we have our attack clicking again. Unfortunately, if we don't learn how to defend better, or in reality go buy a proper defence, we are going to linger around 7th, just like last season. Hard to imagine us breaking into top 4 with a defense like ours. If Leicester can put 5 past us, and even MK Dons 4....what will happen against top 10 opposition?

Needham: The quality of this side's fluidity is undeniable. The strength of its character will remain a very open question until new faces appear at the back. We are and have been a calamity waiting too happen in defence in pretty much every game this season. Irrespective of that appalling decision, we looked vulnerable at the back all game and well and truly capitulated following that penalty, which is just unacceptable.

Glanville95: We will improve in defence with Shaw and Jones to return, but we are seriously lacking leadership and organisation at the back. Appalling.

Raven Blade: The more things change, the more they stay the same these days. We just can't seem to put any momentum together. We absolutely threw this game away due to several factors. It showed up a fragile mentality that still exists in the squad. There's no reaction to adversity here yet, just a sharp decline in concentration and confidence when we get hits. Need to start building up the team from the back. We haven't focused enough on our defence and it's costing us big time. No point in having a strong attack built on weak foundations. If Shaw's ready then get him in the side and drill them the rest of them + De Gea into a unit.

DEVILRED The result is hard to take but I like the fact that we were 3 -1 (and 2-0) up at various stages of the match. As long as we can keep doing this then I can only see us getting better with time. Surely we cant stay this shambolic in defence...right?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...otball-news/leicester-5-united-3-what-7807674

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Now that the frustration has worn off, this felt perfectly like the 4-3 we pulled out at Norwich in 2012-13. We played a 4-4-2 with midfield diamond in that game too, kept scoring and kept conceding. Fergie at least gave them a proper bollocking at half time and we came out and defended better in the 2nd half. Ofcourse the referee in that game wasn't Clatternburg.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
This was Rafael's second game in months, Smalling just coming back from injury, Tyler is still an apprentice, and Rojo was playing his second game. It's the first time they have all played as a group, and it showed.
We should've still brought in a solid centre back that can command the back line.

revel911

By reacting petulantly to a decision against him and chargingr back at Vardy in the box. If he wants to get back in position, why not do that by running around him rather than trying to run through him? When have you ever been able to do that? And in the box too? I just don't get it. He's been booked and sent off for numerous and similar moments of petulance. At what point do you learn? Yes Vardy exaggerated but he made the most of a dumb challenge. Yes clattenburg called the penalty decision wrong - it happens - but only because he had a decision to make in the first place. Wouldn't be so annoying and would be forgiven if I hadn't seen it over and over and over again in incidents involving Rafael.
You have heard before that the quickest way between two points is a straight line, correct?

Jagga7

I thought we looked really good until the penalty decision. The goal just energized the entire Leicester team. We would have definitely won if it wasn't for the shambolic refereeing.

Marcus

I think the brilliant start made the players believe they were going to destroy Leicester. I know I did. They then attacked with no defensive discipline. We will learn from this. There must be periods of consolidation, not all out attack the whole game.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
By reacting petulantly to a decision against him and chargingr back at Vardy in the box. If he wants to get back in position, why not do that by running around him rather than trying to run through him? When have you ever been able to do that? And in the box too? I just don't get it. He's been booked and sent off for numerous and similar moments of petulance. At what point do you learn? Yes Vardy exaggerated but he made the most of a dumb challenge. Yes clattenburg called the penalty decision wrong - it happens - but only because he had a decision to make in the first place. Wouldn't be so annoying and would be forgiven if I hadn't seen it over and over and over again in incidents involving Rafael.
Maybe Rafael should've shoved Vardy similarly instead, as those aren't fouls anymore (See: Ashley Young vs Burnley). How is he to know that making slight contact with vardy would rather result in a pen? This kind of double standard decision making from refs cannot be legislated for. As far as I'm concerned Vardy dived and no one's calling him up on it because he's not Ashley Young!
Likewise, the notion that a player "shouldn't have the ref in that position", is a nonsense excuse often spouted whenever a ref makes a shite decision!

YzWayne

As much as I hate what has happened. I am rather glad that the inevitable happen sooner rather than later.

We all know our defense is not a fortress and we all know that this team just recover from a disastrous season. The mentality that was instill by SAF over the years has vanished as soon as he left.

Through this game, LVG knows the weakness of our defense and the mentality of the players throughout the team.

I'm furious with the ref decision but I was also disappointed at Rooney and LVG.

Rooney, being the captain put in a sub par performance, and still have the cheek to rant at his teammates for letting goals in.

It is good that LVG is arrogant and such. But I find him too stubborn at times. Mata exclusion from the lineup is a wrong decision. Removing Di Maria and Falcao is appalling too.

SalfordRed1960

As much as I hate what has happened. I am rather glad that the inevitable happen sooner rather than later.

We all know our defense is not a fortress and we all know that this team just recover from a disastrous season. The mentality that was instill by SAF over the years has vanished as soon as he left.

Through this game, LVG knows the weakness of our defense and the mentality of the players throughout the team.

I'm furious with the ref decision but I was also disappointed at Rooney and LVG.

Rooney, being the captain put in a sub par performance, and still have the cheek to rant at his teammates for letting goals in.

It is good that LVG is arrogant and such. But I find him too stubborn at times. Mata exclusion from the lineup is a wrong decision. Removing Di Maria and Falcao is appalling too.
In fairness to LVG, Leicester were too physical for Mata and his scouting probably said exactly the same. As for Di Maria, he tired and became less involved around the hour mark.
I do, however, agree I thought Rooney needs to have a look at his own performance before giving grief to others, though he was OK until we got the third, he then slacked off considerably. RVP was also not doing a great deal.
I found it strange that he brought on Adnan and Mata, I would have thought Shaw's physic would have been better suited to this game.

carlosp

I am watching Levante - Barca but can't really concentrate.

(And in this moment Barca's big players Messi and Neymar deliver, but horrible pen by Messi :lol:)

We had such an easy start and all we have is 5 points. At this rate we won't get anything against a half decent team.

Now let's have a look at our rivals:

Chelsea and City will probably finish way above us anyway. Still, both had mid week games, with City's being even harder away at Bayern. Still 4 days later both look so fresh and much better against the strongest team in the league, even more impressive with City with 10 men.

Arsenal playing a difficult away game at Dortmund, but still winning their PL game 4 days later.

Liverpool have been as bad as us, but at least they have the excuse of a midweek game and an average squad

Everton and Spurs both lost, but they have a really good excuse with the EL games on Thursday

But what about us? Yeah new manager, new players, but again, we couldn't have have had an easier start even if we wanted.

We will improve as we hardly can get any worse, but no excuse will be tolerated by the board if we don't manage top 4 with all that money spent. And to be honest, I wouldn't even be comfortable with playing a play-off game due to getting 4th as with our squad you just don't know what you'll get. So we actually need to get 3rd.

All in all it's really annoying that we couldn't take advantage in a week when our rivals played CL/EL games AND we faced a promoted team.
I find it laughable that you list that the other teams have excuses to play bad but not our team because we don't play CL or EL.

You seem to forget that this is only the second game that the current defence have played together. Second game Rojo has played, second game Rafael has played since coming back from injury and Evans went off injured too.

I haven't watched the game yet due to being on the road still after a great wedding party, not mine, and will most probably only see the full game tomorrow sometime or later today.

People should also flipping chill down. We aren't even six games into the season yet and some of this clubs fans(or a bunch of wums who knows) are starting to be pathetic already.

If and when we can start getting our best defence on the field playing regularly and without injury, we should start competing against the other title challengers. This is still all a learning process for the team. As much training as they can have doesn't equate to what happens on the pitch.

LVG said this team will take three months before coming right and you can see it. They are all still a work in progress, new and experienced players.

Sure there shouldn't have been a collapse yesterday by our defence but it doesn't help if the referee is also making incorrect decisions escalating an already fragile defence.

From what I have read, our attacking play is very good and up there maybe with Chelsea and City. Once our defence come good, we will be doing very well.

Also, no doubt we will be going looking for some defence in January. I can wait until then.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really dissapointted in how this game went. at 3-1 up, I thought we were going to comfortably close out the game. Unlike many others, I'm not going to blame the Rafael penalty. That was never a penalty and he should have had a free anyway in the lead up. At that point we were still a goal up. However it seems we short of just crumbled at that point and stopped doing what was actually working and started to panic somewhat. It really is a shame as it highlights our lack of leader in the defensive areas of the pitch. All our real experienced players are attacking ones, and I feel that lack of calming influence at the back is what cost us in the end. I felt after not signing an experienced CB last season, that we would drop points at times due to being weak there, and so far this season sadly that has been the case. Really hope someone can step up, or we buy someone in january to plug that hole.

AKDevil

Maybe Rafael should've shoved Vardy similarly instead, as those aren't fouls anymore (See: Ashley Young vs Burnley). How is he to know that making slight contact with vardy would rather result in a pen? This kind of double standard decision making from refs cannot be legislated for. As far as I'm concerned Vardy dived and no one's calling him up on it because he's not Ashley Young!
Likewise, the notion that a player "shouldn't have the ref in that position", is a nonsense excuse often spouted whenever a ref makes a shite decision!
When young dives, why does he? Because a stupid defender makes a stupid challenge. Give a player a chance they will go over. I'm with LVG on this. Have vardy a chance to tumble and ref a decision to make. If it hadn't happened so often, I might accept it but rafael been here long enough to know.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Clattenberg is obviously a twat but our reaction the decision was worrying. We completely lost our heads in way it shouldn't be happening. Pretty much the same happened against Madrid in the CL. For 10 minutes after Nani was sent off we forgot to play football. Very worrying.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Clattenberg is obviously a twat but our reaction the decision was worrying. We completely lost our heads in way it shouldn't be happening. Pretty much the same happened against Madrid in the CL. For 10 minutes after Nani was sent off we forgot to play football. Very worrying.
Lack of leaders in key positions.

Dunk

Body language expert
You know what fecks me off?

The tossers playing for us will go back to their mansions, count their millions and fornicate with their ridiculous wives / girlfriends.

Less collective backbone than a jellyfish. It honestly feels like United get worse and worse with each passing week. I'm amazed some people have managed to put a positive spin on things, saying we looked good in attack.

We lost a 3-1 lead and conceded five goals against a promoted team - it's nothing short of a disgrace.
It was a dark day for Man. Utd. We all felt it.

LonelyFire

Clattenburg changed the game completely. Penalty is one thing but the foul on blackett for the 4th as well. Game changing decisions

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don't really understand how anyone can blame Rafael for 'giving the ref a reason' to give the penalty. He did nothing wrong. He got back into position and chased Vardy down. It's not as if he made some rash, knee jerk challenge. Imagine the meltdown if he had rolled around on the floor and allowed Vardy a free run on goal? But he gets criticism for picking himself up and getting back? Their second goal was the result of two consecutive poor refereeing decisions and nothing else. Of course the collapse afterwards is a different discussion.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Clattenburg changed the game completely. Penalty is one thing but the foul on blackett for the 4th as well. Game changing decisions
Not to mention the lack of sending of for De Laet.

That is getting no media attention at all and that was possibly the worst thing he did.

vidal7

Vardy is being lauded everywhere, if that was young/rooney/januzaj everyone would be talking of a dive. Now its a soft penalty. ABU cnuts

Getsme

Vardy is being lauded everywhere, if that was young/rooney/januzaj everyone would be talking of a dive. Now its a soft penalty. ABU cnuts
He played very well and our defenders probably had nightmares about him last night, yes he dived, and thats not on but he was clearly the best player on the pitch.

Godfather

He played very well and our defenders probably had nightmares about him last night, yes he dived, and thats not on but he was clearly the best player on the pitch.
He was not even close to beeing the best player on the pitch tbh

stevoc

Let him know he owes us one for next time maybe? Sir Alex always took that attitude with officials so maybe that's where I've developed this opinion from. At the end of the day the man in black is extremely lowly paid and poorly trained compared to the 22 other men on the pitch yet he may have more influence on the result than any of them. They can be and are susceptible to pressure, at the end of the day Clattenburg was a man who was employed as an electrician before he was doing this, he's hardly the most intelligent person.
:lol: fecking hell what a ridiculous statement. So all electricians are a bit stupid are they?

Should the FA only train Ex University Professors as referees or something.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
A prime example of how a ref can change a game.

I hope the Ref's Performance Review board fecking demotes him down to the League 2 level as punishment. Plus his cock drops off today for good measure.

On the other hand, I am glad LVG didn't take the low road and crap all over Clattenburg. Focused on what he can control... the players' poor performance in the last 28 minutes.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Motherfecker! WTF happened??

I was at a wedding yesterday, at a lodge in the middle of the Somerset countryside. No signal or WiFi. I briefly managed to get one bar of signal for a few minutes where I got on to the BBC and saw we were up 3-1, and the feed was saying how mint Di Maria was. I've only just returned to civilisation to see we shipped a further 4 goals?

Wasn't expecting that. What a shitter.

Sad Chris

I've slept over it and have overcome my disappointment. A couple of things stand out for me:

1. We lost
2. We didn't need to lose
3. Clattenburg was bad, but we were still in the lead and we need to stay focused, because things like this happen. It's no good sulking and losing focus.
4. Not just our defense, but in general our defensive behaviour was rubbish
5. I'd still rather see us play like this and lose than put up with a couple of 0:1 or 1:2 defeats like last season
6. We have a great attacking force out there and if we can get our defensive stuff together I'm very optimistic
7. Mario Balotelli is just feeding the scouse fans. No matter how shit he plays they'll love him after his tweet. Good move from him.

That's about it. Bad start to a long season, but I think we'll still be improving along the way.

vidal7

No
Not in a million years he was the best player on the pitch.The cnut kept on fouling our players. I hoped LVG would tear clatentberg apart but he refuses to say anything at all which for me is completely wrong. He could have used this as an opportunity to build a siege mentality. Like fergie, it was always us against the world. He would completely fry them in the dressing room, but he would completely tear apart the referee in public. making a siege mentality and a common enemy for the players. Making them a team, atleast on the pitch.

Refs might think, hey if i give a 50/50 decision against united, it wont be a problem, LVG wont create a shit storm and it will cost us in a big game. He needs to be a lot more vocal and influence the referee.

Getsme

No

Not in a million years he was the best player on the pitch.The cnut kept on fouling our players. I hoped LVG would tear clatentberg apart but he refuses to say anything at all which for me is completely wrong. He could have used this as an opportunity to build a siege mentality. Like fergie, it was always us against the world. He would completely fry them in the dressing room, but he would completely tear apart the referee in public. making a siege mentality and a common enemy for the players. Making them a team, atleast on the pitch.

Refs might think, hey if i give a 50/50 decision against united, it wont be a problem, LVG wont create a shit storm and it will cost us in a big game. He needs to be a lot more vocal and influence the referee.
You don’t have to be the best player on the pitch to have the biggest impact, you do realise that don’t you?
He won the game for Leicester, we should be able to handle players like him every day of we week, but he got to our players and for that he has to be applauded. As for LVG. How do you now he didn’t tear into the ref when the cameras were off? He had nothing to gain by having a rant live on air, nothing. IMO he was 100% correct to blame the players for the defeat, it was them that let the Leicester players intimidate them, we were bullied into defeat

vidal7

You don’t have to be the best player on the pitch to have the biggest impact, you do realise that don’t you?
He won the game for Leicester, we should be able to handle players like him every day of we week, but he got to our players and for that he has to be applauded. As for LVG. How do you now he didn’t tear into the ref when the cameras were off? He had nothing to gain by having a rant live on air, nothing. IMO he was 100% correct to blame the players for the defeat, it was them that let the Leicester players intimidate them, we were bullied into defeat
If young dived and won a penalty and constantly fouled chelsea players BUt we win the game does it make him the best player on the pitch?
Say Suarez saved a goal with his hands against ghana and won the match for his team against ghana, was he the best player on the pitch? NO! All vardy did was chased down foul and bully our players. Yes our players were a bit soft, but if that penalty was not given, we would be talking about how lvg the genius beat a tough leicester side 3-1 or more and how we were always in control.You would not mention vardy, he is getting plaudits for diving which is shocking to say the least.
Shameful ABU's in the media that have neglected all of this, just to make story look good. Its pathetic really. Carragher called the penalty as shocking and the wrong decision and he is ex Liverpool . I am not saying our defenders arent at fault, i am saying is that if that was not given, leicester would never be in that position or they would not get the crowd behind them. The number of decisions that went against us were freaky, it was really one of the worst refereeing performances i have seen. No harm done if you see how our competitors fared as pool,city,tottenham,chelsea,everton all dropped points. If we would have won though, it would have been a huge lift. That is what is disappointing for all.

Getsme

If young dived and won a penalty and constantly fouled chelsea players BUt we win the game does it make him the best player on the pitch?
Say Suarez saved a goal with his hands against ghana and won the match for his team against ghana, was he the best player on the pitch? NO! All vardy did was chased down foul and bully our players. Yes our players were a bit soft, but if that penalty was not given, we would be talking about how lvg the genius beat a tough leicester side 3-1 or more and how we were always in control.You would not mention vardy, he is getting plaudits for diving which is shocking to say the least.
Shameful ABU's in the media that have neglected all of this, just to make story look good. Its pathetic really. Carragher called the penalty as shocking and the wrong decision and he is ex Liverpool . I am not saying our defenders arent at fault, i am saying is that if that was not given, leicester would never be in that position or they would not get the crowd behind them. The number of decisions that went against us were freaky, it was really one of the worst refereeing performances i have seen. No harm done if you see how our competitors fared as pool,city,tottenham,chelsea,everton all dropped points. If we would have won though, it would have been a huge lift. That is what is disappointing for all.
You’re acting like all Vardy done the entire game was win a penalty, which is absolute rubbish, not only did he win the man of the match award but he deserved it to. He got into the faces of our players, intimidated and bullied them into making mistakes, he put so much panic amongst our back four that he changed in the game in Leicesters favour.

It’s not ABU in the media, as I said in another thread the media don’t support United, they are going to say what the majority of people want to hear, and that is Uniteds £multimillion squad getting well and truly beaten by a newly promoted team. We folded under the pressure, it’s that simple. However some fans are refusing to believe that and are instead focusing all their anger on the referee and the player that caused us to collapse.

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 506 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Leicester 1:3 Man Utd
  • 18% Leicester 0:3 Man Utd