Leicester - the title is still theirs to lose.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
I did want Leicester to win the title but I think i'd prefer Spurs or if not them then Arsenal.
Yeah they have played great and deserve to be where they are but when you look at their team it is full of average players, if Man Utd aren't winners then I want it to be a team full of good players so it doesn't look too bad. Still fancy City to nick it though.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The collapse has started imo. In a couple of weeks they will no longer be top of the league, and I'm afraid things will go downhill from there.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
All the talk about Leicester having an easy run in forgets that there have been plenty of strange results between teams higher up the table and those near the bottom. I think this is going all the way to the last game and I have no idea which of the top 4 sides will win it.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I did want Leicester to win the title but I think i'd prefer Spurs or if not them then Arsenal.
Yeah they have played great and deserve to be where they are but when you look at their team it is full of average players, if Man Utd aren't winners then I want it to be a team full of good players so it doesn't look too bad. Still fancy City to nick it though.
If we leave Anfield with anything I'd be more amazed than when we signed Robinho. We're not winning the title.

LInkash

Has one of these threads ever not turned out to be a jinx thread?

Ventura

I don't care who wins as long as it isn't Arsenal. Or City. Oh, or Pool. Or Spurs, because that would make Glaston (more) intolerable.

So uh .. go Leicester? Even if I saw Vardy as a cnutish thug and a diver, and I'm sure he'll be back to mediocrity soon enough. Because it's mostly about denying all the usual rivals who love United's current troubles.

RedDevil@84

I hope they do it. Would feel a lot better than to see Arsenal or City or Spurs win it.
They don't play till 27th too. And they are almost done with most of the big teams.

RedDevil@84

City have the toughest run in I guess and least probable to win it. But it ll all come down to squeaky bum time

Norris

I'd like to see them win it, but... We've seen time and time again how the inexperienced teams buckle under the pressure when the going gets hot. I have my doubts, but I do hope they take it.
Inexperienced ? Where exactly Are Arsenal or Spurs experienced ? Gunners always go into a meltdown from Jan and Spurs have never been in this position. Even an Experienced team like Us lost it a few years ago to that damn Argentinian. Experience seems a little overrated in this context imo.
Better run of fixtures, clean bill of health and then it is truly Leicester's to lose for me.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The collapse has started imo. In a couple of weeks they will no longer be top of the league, and I'm afraid things will go downhill from there.
With one defeat? Funny how Arsenal and City can lose several games in a few weeks and still be amazing but Leicester lose one in unlucky manner and it's a collapse.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Their fixtures are decent so I still have them favourites.

The overreaction to yesterday within the media is nauseating. Can't wait for the wankfest to be over and the media to notice Arsenal face a trip to United while Leicester have one of the easiest games possible at home and the 3 points from yesterday are reversed.

If ever there was a time for this United side to get their finger out and properly pummel somebody please be now.
Indeed, the "this is the win of Champions" comment the commentator made at the final whistle almost had me running full pelt towards the toilet bowl. They scored a last minute winner against a team they really should be beating comfortably and only after they couldn't cope with playing them 11 vs 11.

The team that put on the championship performance was Leicester.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
If they continue to play like they did against Arsenal they will be very much competing for the title.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'd like them to win it but I just don't know if they have what it takes. The thing is, they don't need what it would take for a regular non-batshit season, so maybe they will.

I really don't want Spurs/Arsenal/City to win. I'd say Arsenal is the lesser evil. Couldn't handle Spurs fans if they win it and City are City.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Still think they will do it. Arsenal will make sure they drop enough points not to win it and I think Spurs won't overtake them. 2 home wins in their next 2 and I would strongly believe in them.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Christ. A last minute away loss at Arsenal playing most of the second half with 10 men constitutes a collapse now? At least wait until they've lost a couple on the bounce.

They've got home games against Norwich and West Brom next.

Arsenal have us at Old Trafford and Spurs have their next premier league game 3 days after a Europa League second leg.

Sarni

People talk about experience as if Arsenal and Tottenham have any in title races, they simply don't. The only history they have is of bottling title races (Arsenal) and top 4 races (Tottenham), neither of them have really proven that they're capable of sustaining pressure and if anything, pressure will be on Arsenal and Spurs to deliver, not Leicester. For Leicester at this point everything is a bonus, they were expected to fight for survival and are now virtually certain of Champions League football next year which is a huge deal. If they win the title, great, if they don't and end up 3rd or 4th - it's still going down as the best season in their history.

Thing with those smaller teams on great runs is that they usually want it more. Arsenal or Spurs may think there's still another year for them to make a run, at Leicester everyone know it's now or never. They're not likely to be in another title race for decades. They will be sure to take one game at the time and treat them all as cup finals, with 12 games to go and other teams bound to drop points they probably know that winning 8 of them will give them the title. The next 4 games are absolutely crucial - Norwich and West Brom at home first, then Watford away and home to Newcastle. In the meantime Arsenal travel to Man Utd and Spurs, Spurs travel to West Ham and host Arsenal, both will drop some points. If after the next 4 games, with 8 games to go, Leicester are 3-5 points ahead of 2nd placed team, they will have a great chance. It's key that they win their next two games and don't look over their shoulders too much.

The final 3 games will be absolutely essential but I'm pretty sure that if they go to Chelsea needing a win they'll get it, especially if they're in the race with Spurs or Arsenal as Chelsea players will relax a bit and won't want to do their local rivals a favor that much. It's still the 9 games that precede that run that will have the biggest impact on the title race and they're home for 5 of them and the away trips they have are usually not the toughest sort. I can realistically see them getting 20-22 points from these 9 games.

Sarni

Christ. A last minute away loss at Arsenal playing most of the second half with 10 men constitutes a collapse now? At least wait until they've lost a couple on the bounce.

Arsenal have us at Old Trafford and Spurs have their next premier league game 3 days after a Europa League second leg.
That's the thing with Leicester. They make one slight mistake and it's over for them, the collapse has started, they're not in the title race anymore, drama beckons. For Arsenal, Spurs and City even numerous poor performances do not have that impact because they're big teams and extremely experienced at winning.

Spurs are the only top side that has the consistency this season. Actually if I were to put title contenders in order I'd say it's Leicester 40%, Spurs 30%, Arsenal 20% and City 10%.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
That's the thing with Leicester. They make one slight mistake and it's over for them, the collapse has started, they're not in the title race anymore, drama beckons. For Arsenal, Spurs and City even numerous poor performances do not have that impact because they're big teams and extremely experienced at winning.

Spurs are the only top side that has the consistency this season. Actually if I were to put title contenders in order I'd say it's Leicester 40%, Spurs 30%, Arsenal 20% and City 10%.
I think I'd agree with that.

Bottom line is that they're still in the driving seat and they don't have any European fixtures coming up. The other title contenders do. Will be interesting to see if Spurs sack off the Europa league to focus on the Premiership.

mufcwarm92

They'll really struggle against teams that park the bus because their entire game revolves around attacking the space on the counter. The crucial part of their season will be trying to negotiate the likes of Norwich and West Brom, where they'll have much more posession and much less space to counter than in recent games.

Personally, I'm in the boat that they needed something from the Arsenal game to win the league.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I think they'll still be in the mix come the final 3 games and will probably need a couple more heroic performances against Everton, us and Chelsea. What might be in their favour is likely they'll be playing 3 teams with nothing to play for.

NoLogo

This season will be decided on the very last day and I think it will remain a close race between the three current top teams. Impossible to predict who will come out on top at the end but I hope it's going to Leicester mainly because I just love a good underdog story with a happy end and tbh because we aren't in the race. :smirk:

Sarni

I think I'd agree with that.

Bottom line is that they're still in the driving seat and they don't have any European fixtures coming up. The other title contenders do. Will be interesting to see if Spurs sack off the Europa league to focus on the Premiership.
Exactly. 12 games, all of them cup finals. Win 8 and you might win the league. Win 9 and you will definitely win the league. Win 6-7 and you might still have a good chance.

Arsenal will not get past Barcelona but these are still two extra games plus FA Cup. Tottenham might actually knock Fiorentina out and play further in Europa League which could impact them. Also FA Cup to worry about.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's all a bit dodgy from here. Wins against the likes of Norwich are definitely not guaranteed, they need to treat every single game now as a final. These smaller teams might end up being a real pain in the ass.

RedDevil@84

It's all a bit dodgy from here. Wins against the likes of Norwich are definitely not guaranteed, they need to treat every single game now as a final. These smaller teams might end up being a real pain in the ass.
They ll succumb to pressure if that happens. Most of the underdog stories in the league have suffered due to this.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How things change. This place hated Leicester after the 5-3. Vardy was the cnut of all cnuts, and most cheered on their impending relegation, which they somehow smashed their way out of with aplomb. Now we want them to win the league.

I preferred football when we were winning all the time. I don't know what's going on anymore.
Someone on the podcast made a very good point I thought, that Sir Alex retiring basically ushered in a year zero of English football. Everything was reset.

Sarni

They ll succumb to pressure if that happens. Most of the underdog stories in the league have suffered due to this.
Due to what? Being focused on the target and playing at 100%? Atletico's title challenge succeeded due to that. There aren't really many cases of teams like Leicester having a shot at the title and competing with two other inexperienced teams so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Arsenal and Spurs have history of buckling under pressure, Leicester don't - actually they have history of doing absolutely great under biggest pressure, see April-May 2015. Survival was at stake back then, much bigger deal than finishing 1st or 3rd for a team which had been expected to fight for survival.

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
On paper, Leicester have the easiest run in unhampered by participation in any cup competition.

They should be strong favourites. On the down side, it's unusual for any team not to experience a blip during a season. Spurs, Arsenal and City all have (though it might be argued that insofar as the latter is concerned, their run of poor form might be considered less of a blip and more down to them actually not being that good) and if Leicester are to win the title they have to retain that consistency showed so far this season.

Also, playing relegation threatened sides at this stage of the season is not necessarily that easy.

Will Leicester run out of steam? Their style of conceding possession, defending deep and intense energy to press is bloody knackering. They show no signs of fatigue just yet, but one or two poor performances and you begin to wonder.

I suspect it will be between the North London rivals and we all know who tends to come out on top of those.

I'm not counting City out but they are drinking in the Last Chance Saloon.

An exciting run in for the neutral.

WhoDaGOAT

On paper, Leicester have the easiest run in unhampered by participation in any cup competition.

They should be strong favourites. On the down side, it's unusual for any team not to experience a blip during a season. Spurs, Arsenal and City all have (though it might be argued that insofar as the latter is concerned, their run of poor form might be considered less of a blip and more down to them actually not being that good) and if Leicester are to win the title they have to retain that consistency showed so far this season.

Also, playing relegation threatened sides at this stage of the season is not necessarily that easy.

Will Leicester run out of steam? Their style of conceding possession, defending deep and intense energy to press is bloody knackering. They show no signs of fatigue just yet, but one or two poor performances and you begin to wonder.

I suspect it will be between the North London rivals and we all know who tends to come out on top of those.

I'm not counting City out but they are drinking in the Last Chance Saloon.

An exciting run in for the neutral.
Leicester's two best players had their dip though and have come out of it for the better.

Vardy went 6 games in a row without scoring and Mahrez went 5 games in a row without scoring or assisting, which included a missed penalty against Villa in what should have been a comfortable win.

Yet Leicester still remained competitive throughout this period. They found The Christmas period tough but still managed to only suffer one defeat.

It's a matter of putting the Arsenal result behind them now and treating each remaining fixture as a cup final.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
With one defeat? Funny how Arsenal and City can lose several games in a few weeks and still be amazing but Leicester lose one in unlucky manner and it's a collapse.

I think some here need to calm down a bit. First, I have no influence on the future, so what I say doesn't matter. Second, I want Leicester to win as much as you do, but there is a difference between a prediction and a wish. You're convinced Leicester will go on to win it? Fine, I hope you turn out to be right.

I have a different opinion though, and I still predict them to falter under pressure, and a painful defeat like this could be very deflating and will test some of their resilience. If they pass the test then kudos to them, but I don't think they will. It's not like they're winning the title every year. They're very inexperienced, and not accustomed to the pressure of "having to win!". The last few games in the league are always the toughest (regardless of whom you're playing), and my feeling is if they drop off the first place now they'll collapse mentally. It has happened to bigger teams (remember Arsenal's 2-2 draw in the last moment against Birmingham?).

Sarni

I think some here need to calm down a bit. First, I have no influence on the future, so what I say doesn't matter. Second, I want Leicester to win as much as you do, but there is a difference between a prediction and a wish. You're convinced Leicester will go on to win it? Fine, I hope you turn out to be right.

I have a different opinion though, and I still predict them to falter under pressure, and a painful defeat like this could be very deflating and will test some of their resilience. If they pass the test then kudos to them, but I don't think they will. It's not like they're winning the title every year. They're very inexperienced, and not accustomed to the pressure of "having to win!". The last few games in the league are always the toughest (regardless of whom you're playing), and my feeling is if they drop off the first place now they'll collapse mentally. It has happened to bigger teams (remember Arsenal's 2-2 draw in the last moment against Birmingham?).
It's not like Arsenal or Spurs are experienced either though, is it? Why will Leicester collapse but they won't?

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
It's not like Arsenal or Spurs are experienced either though, is it? Why will Leicester collapse but they won't?
That's actually the reason I'm still not counting Manchester City out. But Arsenal collapsed when they were in a race with Fergie's United. Tottenham collapsed, when they were in a race with Arsenal. Arsenal have always beaten (very) good teams to the fourth place. They never bottled a fourth place race. They only collapsed when facing great teams. There are no great teams this year. The title race looks more like a 4th place race this year, which I'm not sure Arsenal will bottle. And if they're still capable of fecking it up, then there is no reason not to think that Leicester are actually even more likely to feck it up themselves.

DrunkenBeaver

I think the pressure will get to them. So far we've been at a relative stress-free stage of the season and every game, for them, has been a bonus to enjoy and to their credit they've enjoyed it. But that's all a completely different kettle of fish to being in the tight and tense run-in where every goal in every match has enormous permutations. I'm not sure a side that has no experience in these things will have the ability to cope.

Rafateria

I think the pressure will get to them. So far we've been at a relative stress-free stage of the season and every game, for them, has been a bonus to enjoy and to their credit they've enjoyed it. But that's all a completely different kettle of fish to being in the tight and tense run-in where every goal in every match has enormous permutations. I'm not sure a side that has no experience in these things will have the ability to cope.
Yeah. There was no pressure at all on them at City .. or Arsenal (where 11 vs 11 it could have gone either way).

Hostekule

I think now that they are legit title contenders they'll struggle in some of the games they're expected to win where the other team sits deep and is happy with a draw. It doesn't suit their game.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Yeah. There was no pressure at all on them at City .. or Arsenal (where 11 vs 11 it could have gone either way).
Against both they played against a team that had to win as well. Trying to crack a team happy with a draw when they have to force the matter (while being under the pressure of having to win) is another story. Remember, against both City and Arsenal they would have been happy with a draw.

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
You are Norwich. Goal difference is all that separates you from the bottom 3.

Playing top of the league Leicester next. Your mission is to at any cost do whatever it takes to secure a point. You are not going to try to win. Leicester unusually will likely enjoy most possession trying to break a stubborn deep lying defence. No fast counter attacks.

Now you can see why when the pressure is on, teams may struggle against teams who are fighting for survival.

Leicester may spank them. The point still holds. Ask Leeds or Newcastle when they were on top at this stage of the season. It was the little teams what done them.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Ranieri and Leicester should hire SAF as a consultant to help them with the mental aspect of the final stages of a title race.

I'm sure there are loads of tricks and techniques SAF knows of that Leicester management won't know about. And I'm sure SAF would be delighted to stop Arsenal or City from winning the league!

RedDevil@84

Ranieri and Leicester should hire SAF as a consultant to help them with the mental aspect of the final stages of a title race.

I'm sure there are loads of tricks and techniques SAF knows of that Leicester management won't know about. And I'm sure SAF would be delighted to stop Arsenal or City from winning the league!
Poor SAF. Let him enjoy his retirement :)
He had been there done that too many times.