Leo Messi

Mithun

Holds even more bizarre beliefs than Kemo
Messi has every chance of weaving his magic in the world cup and landing Argentina the cup.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Mithun said:
Messi has every chance of weaving his magic in the world cup and landing Argentina the cup.
Is he better than Kanoute?

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Stamford Bridge said:
Overrated and overhyped.

Would last six minutes in the Premiership. Likes too much time with the ball and a bit of a fairy. In fact, even in La Liga he gets too much time to do whatever he likes because the other teams defence are too busy watching Ronaldinho.

In my personal opinion if he ever moves to the Prem, he'll be found out like Reyes.
hehe, I just had to dig this thread up ;)

JazzG

Resident Arse.
If you look more carefully you can find more quotes from Stamford in past threads about Messi which are quite amusing ;)

ThomasM said:
has to be a nightmare to play against him.
His ball control is absoultely unbelievable, he doesn't need tricks to beat players he just glides past them. Chelsea's fullbacks are very good at dealing with tricky wingers but they had no answers to Messi, they couldn't get near him. I knew this kid was class but I didn't expect a performance like that at Stamford Bridge.

Dubai_Devil

JazzG said:
If you look more carefully you can find more quotes from Stamford in past threads about Messi which are quite amusing ;)

His ball control is absoultely unbelievable, he doesn't need tricks to beat players he just glides past them. Chelsea's fullbacks are very good at dealing with tricky wingers but they had no answers to Messi, they couldn't get near him. I knew this kid was class but I didn't expect a performance like that at Stamford Bridge.
Ronaldinho got all the headlines, and rightfully so I might add, after the Madrid match earlier in the season, but Messi was outstanding in that match as well.

For once the hype is deserved.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1560939856169568251&q=messi

we get good coverage of spanish matches, so i try to watch when barcelona play. he`s not very poofy, tries to stay on his feet. his ball control is fantastic, right about how he doesnt need to use a bag full of tricks to get past his opponents, but what really impresses me the most is his understanding of the game. 18 years old and he has already commanded a first team spot at perhaps the best team in europe.

messis finishing is cack though,

Slabber

Ricard0 had a point about Messi.

Unfortunately, he got himself banned by calling Ledley King a black bastard.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Dubai_Devil said:
Ronaldinho got all the headlines, and rightfully so I might add, after the Madrid match earlier in the season, but Messi was outstanding in that match as well.

For once the hype is deserved.
Thing is with Ronaldinho's reputation even a decent game is made out to be great. For example against Chelsea upto when they went 1-1 he was quiet but he still got great reviews. Both of them tore R.Madrid apart though.

A lot of kids get hyped up at a young age but this kid is the real deal. I haven't been able to watch as much la liga this season as I usually do but whenever I've seen Messi he has looked class.

Him and Rooney are two players who over the next 10 years will be the main superstars of football. There maybe others but I think it is safe to say those two will definitely be up there. Too many young players these days get hyped up but when you see them they aren't all that but these two have justified the hype around them

*xan*

I'm both a tool and a fool, banned from the transf
Look out for flying Posts: 170,001 + the other
I have been watching Messi for months unlike you blind cnuts that only saw him the other night. There was a big hoo haa at the start of the season relating to the fact that he did not have a spanish passport, so because of his age Barca could not sign him. At that point there was interest from every "big" club in Europe Milan, Inter, Juve, Bayern, Chelsea, United, Liverpool the lot were interested.

I can honestly say that having seen the kid play about 20 times he is the best young player I have seen. He gets kicked about every week gets up and gets on with it and has unbelievable skill.

The other night against chelsea theres no doubt Mourinho knew what everyone else whose seen the kid play, that he can be the difference in any match no matter who the opposition. I believe that the number of Dirty "Rent Boys" tackles that went in on the lad, that Jose sent the players out to kick the shit out of him.

There is no doubt in my mind he will be the best player in the world and is, at the moment, probably as good as Rooney.

Red#7

Gosh.....some of you have saying he can't hold against some of the best in the world and still need to be more mature. Of course he needs grow in his game!! FFS he's still in his teens!!!! Watching wat he did against Chelski a few days back, playing for one of the biggest club in the world....in a CL away game...he was unbelievable!!! No show pony here...

Along with Rooney....he's one for the future of football.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
JazzG said:
Thing is with Ronaldinho's reputation even a decent game is made out to be great. For example against Chelsea upto when they went 1-1 he was quiet but he still got great reviews. Both of them tore R.Madrid apart though.
I disagree with the Ronaldinho bit. Hes in a different league. Even when he isnt at his best(like against Chelsea), hes usually better than almost everyone else. He was quiet uptil Chelsea's goal.. but then almost everyone was. After that he just turned it on.. played a huge part in both goals. Messi might have been good, but the brazillian made his contribution count. Messi does his bit in the final third, and rightfully has been getting rave reviews. But it makes it easier when you have people like Ronaldhinio and Etto' dragging defenders away. Plus the fact that Ronaldhinio plays a lot deeper, and constantly is there carrying the team forward. Its like a zidane, where he not only gets involved when the ball is knocked forwards, he plays passes, gets people involved, gets goals, assists etc.
I do wonder how someone like Rooney would do in that Barca team. That makes a big difference as well.

Mithun

No doubt Rooney would do better as the team has good balance and has great attacking potential. But i don't think it would suit Rooney--as Barca play a fast, tempo and direct game. Rooney likes time on the ball and i doubt he would be as effective as say Messi!

Etoo is the main goalscorer and Rooney would not dislodge him from the side.

Messi and Ronaldinho and the hole players --this is where Rooney would have to play. As Rooney will not replace Dinho the question is would Rooney do a better job than Messi or the right? Possibly. It all depends on who can fit into the system.

Deco is a play-maker and its unlikely Rooney will get play-making duties ahead of Deco.
This leaves the likes of Xavi and Van Bommel --both are hardworking and excellent ball passing midfielders and Rooney is no central midfielder!

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Mithun said:
No doubt Rooney would do better as the team has good balance and has great attacking potential. But i don't think it would suit Rooney--as Barca play a fast, tempo and direct game. Rooney likes time on the ball and i doubt he would be as effective as say Messi!

Etoo is the main goalscorer and Rooney would not dislodge him from the side.

Messi and Ronaldinho and the hole players --this is where Rooney would have to play. As Rooney will not replace Dinho the question is would Rooney do a better job than Messi or the right? Possibly. It all depends on who can fit into the system.

Deco is a play-maker and its unlikely Rooney will get play-making duties ahead of Deco.
This leaves the likes of Xavi and Van Bommel --both are hardworking and excellent ball passing midfielders and Rooney is no central midfielder!
Rooney plays in the most direct and qucikest league in the world, who the feck have you been watching? Rooney would play in the middle, where Deco is currently, he'd be tremendous in that position.

Mithun

Mozza said:
Rooney plays in the most direct and qucikest league in the world, who the feck have you been watching? Rooney would play in the middle, where Deco is currently, he'd be tremendous in that position.

hoofing the ball by both teams with little football played on the ground like the Man Utd and Liverpool game?????

Is that your idea of direct and quick football??

Mithun

the belief is that Rooney can replace Deco or at least do a better job. I disagree as Deco is a excellent and intelligent player who has greater experience to play in his deeper role for Barca over Rooney.

Also Barca may not be the club for Rooney as he will players like Ronaldinho and Messi all dictating the play.

Chelsea may be a better club as with a strong midfield they dominate midfield and create chances for thier strikers!

Namliam

Useless WUM
Fantasy League Champion & King of Weboggle
Mithun said:
the belief is that Rooney can replace Deco or at least do a better job. I disagree as Deco is a excellent and intelligent player who has greater experience to play in his deeper role for Barca over Rooney.

Also Barca may not be the club for Rooney as he will players like Ronaldinho and Messi all dictating the play.

Chelsea may be a better club as with a strong midfield they dominate midfield and create chances for thier strikers!
:confused:

Kanoute!

Suedesi

Stamford Bridge said:
Overrated and overhyped.

Would last six minutes in the Premiership. Likes too much time with the ball and a bit of a fairy. In fact, even in La Liga he gets too much time to do whatever he likes because the other teams defence are too busy watching Ronaldinho.

In my personal opinion if he ever moves to the Prem, he'll be found out like Reyes.

You are right...

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Fantastic player.
You have to be something special to break into Barca's first 11 at that age.
Great speed, top technique, great shot.
Had our left flank for breakfast on Wednesday and hardly broke a sweat in the process.
He is so good and he's only 18, it's scary.

AhmedDimwitson

The Expert
Stamford Bridge said:
Overrated and overhyped.

:lol:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
antihenry said:
Fantastic player.
You have to be something special to break into Barca's first 11 at that age.
Great speed, top technique, great shot.
Had our left flank for breakfast on Wednesday and hardly broke a sweat in the process.
He is so good and he's only 18, it's scary.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Namliam said:
Stamford Bridge is obviously exaggerating, but his point is valid.

As great as he may look, he may not fare very well in the English league.

Reyes was a tremendous prospect in Spain and look whats happened to him here.
Messi proved his talent against a full strength Chelsea. Apparently the best the prem has to offer. At such a young age if he came over here he'd pick up the english game no probs I reckon... besides Reyes is a fairy

kanchelskis14

I've been wondering for a while now. With all the media hype with them having decided months ago that Rooney was going to win England the World Cup, and then everyone on here having a validated reason to call him the best this and that because he scored 4 goals in Euro 2004, what would happen if Rooney had a crap World Cup?

Nobody has seemed to consider that.

Slabber

kanchelskis14 said:
I've been wondering for a while now. With all the media hype with them having decided months ago that Rooney was going to win England the World Cup, and then everyone on here having a validated reason to call him the best this and that because he scored 4 goals in Euro 2004, what would happen if Rooney had a crap World Cup?

Great post

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
kanchelskis14 said:

That'll be Svens fault for wasting Englands greatest talent

Wan

kanchelskis14 said:

kanchelskis14

Wan said:
Why is it funny? Nobody has seemed to cater for the possibility that he may not set the world alight. With all the pressure on him, i'd hate to be in his position if he has a dissapointing tournament. Besides. Will people no longer call him the best young player on here, considering that he didn't do it at a World Cup? After all, his euros performances are often used to validate his ratings as more than just hype.