L'Equipe : Zidane wants United job / all spaculation no updates

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yes, because thats the only reason we'd want Zidane to be our manager. Yep. Heard we're being renamed to Pogba FC too.
Hilarious sarcasm aside it's certainly a major factor that the club will be looking at when recruiting a new manager.
Unless you think they're going to go for a fresh attack minded manager which based on the last three men we've brought in isn't likely.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't have anything against Zidane, but the idea of sacking our current manager and bringing him in to appease Pogba makes me feel physically ill.
if that was the case then we would have brought Conte, the man who took the best out of Pogba.

Dec9003

Where that idea comes from though. If Mourinho is sacked is because he is having a mare and Zidane is currently the most successful manager available.
It's simply that if you believe the stories, the major push back Mourinho is getting is from Pogba, I don't think any other player has even looked like speaking out against him, though I might be wrong.
If Pogba pushes hard enough Woody will likely sack Jose to protect Pogba, he brings far too much in marketing which is the sole focus of the club at the moment.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I don't have anything against Zidane, but the idea of sacking our current manager and bringing him in to appease Pogba makes me feel physically ill.
Don't think like that. Jose has made some think Pogba is a big issue, when he is the one that's at fault for most of our issues. He's doing a terrible job. The Pogba narrative was started by him to detract from that. He'll be sacked not because of Pogba, but because he's doing a shit job.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hilarious sarcasm aside it's certainly a major factor that the club will be looking at when recruiting a new manager.
Unless you think they're going to go for a fresh attack minded manager which based on the last three men we've brought in isn't likely.
Based on what exactly?

Jazz

It's simply that if you believe the stories, the major push back Mourinho is getting is from Pogba, I don't think any other player has even looked like speaking out against him, though I might be wrong.
If Pogba pushes hard enough Woody will likely sack Jose to protect Pogba, he brings far too much in marketing which is the sole focus of the club at the moment.
Or maybe Pogba is the only one with a spine to speak up?

Dec9003

if that was the case then we would have brought Conte, the man who took the best out of Pogba.
I suppose, although Zidane is way more marketable, they'll probably be selling shirts with his bald head printed on at the mega store.

Dec9003

Or maybe Pogba is the only one with a spine to speak up?
Alternatively maybe the rest of the players just simply respect their manager? A great man once said something along the lines of speaking against your manager is a great way to get booted out of the club.

Dec9003

Based on what exactly?
Both based on the way Pogba has acted and simply the investment the club has made in Pogba.
Once most expensive player, at the forefront of all the marketing etc.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Both based on the way Pogba has acted and simply the investment the club has made in Pogba.
Once most expensive player, at the forefront of all the marketing etc.
I think Woodward wants to win more than people seem to think, otherwise why hire Jose even after Adidas made a point about our boring non attacking football whlst LVG was manager.

Jose was hired to win, I think the next manager would be selected based on whats best not to appease one player

Jazz

Alternatively maybe the rest of the players just simply respect their manager? A great man once said something along the lines of speaking against your manager is a great way to get booted out of the club.
Sir Alex earned the respect he got. You cannot command respect when you behave like Jose. You're thinking too much in black and white terms. Should you just follow like sheep when the leader is taking you down, or make a stand? It has nothing to do with being disrespectful when you look at our current situation.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I suppose, although Zidane is way more marketable, they'll probably be selling shirts with his bald head printed on at the mega store.
True but if Pogba had a meaningful say to this then he'll probably choose Conte or Allegri not Zidane. Its basically like asking Scholes who would prefer to be managed by. Surely he'll be the manager who gave him a chance and who developed him into a WC player. He wont choose lets say Keegan (an English football legend) over Sir Alex.

Jazz

I think Woodward wants to win more than people seem to think, otherwise why hire Jose even after Adidas made a point about our boring non attacking football whlst LVG was manager.

Jose was hired to win, I think the next manager would be selected based on whats best not to appease one player
I believe this as well. He just hasn't gone about putting the proper structure in place. Needs a DOF stat to deal with football matters.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The issue is that you need to ask yourself why Pogba wouldn't follow Mourinho, also it has been reported that there is a group of players with Pogba. An other important thing, if Pogba was alone he would have been easily isolated, I wouldn't be surprised if Sanchez is with Pogba.

Dec9003

I agree Woodward will have wanted to win trophies, he was happy as a pig in shit when Jose signed I remember the pictures.
But I still think one of the major things the new manager will be expected to do is keep Pogba at the club, and I think it's more for the marketing than the football.

Sir Alex earned the respect he got. You cannot command respect when you behave like Jose. You're thinking too much in black and white terms. Should you just follow like sheep when the leader is taking you down, or make a stand? It has nothing to do with being disrespectful when you look at our current situation.
Of course Jose can command respect, he's one of the most successful managers ever.
If he does go before winning the league, this side will be the only one he's ever done it with, it will be more the anomaly than the norm, and I think a lot of the reason for it is the fact that the club look at everything from a profit point of view.
Players, managers, everything.
Not to mention Pogba has no right to make a stand, he's frankly been hit and miss since he's come back and Jose has shielded him constantly, it was only after he dropped him against Sevilla that Pogba decided he'd had enough.
We can talk about Jose not earning respect but Pogba certainly fecking hasn't.

Judas

Open to offers
I agree Woodward will have wanted to win trophies, he was happy as a pig in shit when Jose signed I remember the pictures.
But I still think one of the major things the new manager will be expected to do is keep Pogba at the club, and I think it's more for the marketing than the football.
Nonsense. Pogba is quality and playing within himself he's still comfortably better than the majority of our team. Not saying the marketing isn't a great bonus, it is, he's got it all.

Dec9003

True but if Pogba had a meaningful say to this then he'll probably choose Conte or Allegri not Zidane. Its basically like asking Scholes who would prefer to be managed by. Surely he'll be the manager who gave him a chance and who developed him into a WC player. He wont choose lets say Keegan (an English football legend) over Sir Alex.
Of course he would but that isn't what I'm saying.
What I'm saying is that the club will be in part looking to keep Pogba on side for the marketing aspect, I'm sure they'd still go for Zidane over conte because he ticks more boxes and is likely the better manager based on the past few years.

Dec9003

Nonsense. Pogba is quality and playing within himself he's still comfortably better than the majority of our team. Not saying the marketing isn't a great bonus, it is, he's got it all.
Pogba has been playing within himself for three years now, when does it simply become his level? The fact that when he's not happy there isn't a noticeable drop off says it all.
He's a marketing King, but a problematic footballer, a few games at the World Cup don't change that for me.

JPRouve

Scout
Of course Jose can command respect, he's one of the most successful managers ever.
If he does go before winning the league, this side will be the only one he's ever done it with, it will be more the anomaly than the norm, and I think a lot of the reason for it is the fact that the club look at everything from a profit point of view.
Players, managers, everything.
Not to mention Pogba has no right to make a stand, he's frankly been hit and miss since he's come back and Jose has shielded him constantly, it was only after he dropped him against Sevilla that Pogba decided he'd had enough.
We can talk about Jose not earning respect but Pogba certainly fecking hasn't.
This part is naive, a manager's past only buys him the benefits of doubts during the first months maybe the first year but players will put a lot more weight in their personal experience with the manager, that's what they will use when it comes to estimating their chances for future success with that manager.

CA1

Where that idea comes from though. If Mourinho is sacked is because he is having a mare and Zidane is currently the most successful manager available.
If you think it's not relevant in Woodward's thinking you're deluded.

Pogba sells shirts, so does Martial. Those two haven't been in Mourinho's good books for a while and its clear they've basically played a part in getting the manager sacked.

Zidane would appease them and Woodward knows it.

It's a sorry, sorry state of affairs when two players like them two can dictate the direction of the club. They're nothing players by United terms. Pogba is talented but not enough for this, no player is never mind an inconsistent, flawed player like him. Martial is just average.

Zidane's best qualities are building a good squad harmony and that his name would attract top players. Apart from that, I just don't see it at all. We'd still have no direction going forward. I don't know who this mythical DOF is either everyone keeps banging on about. I don't think there's people like that around, you need one tailored for your own club.

Speedicut75

When did TALKSPORT become a reliable source ?
:lol:
Talksport is dire, I totally agree, but Cascarino is decent on stuff coming out of France, and would appear to have some insight given the contacts he made when playing for Marseille & Nancy.

I don't know whether I want this to be true or not, but my past allegiances to managers have been misguided at best and have led me to massively endorse both LVG and Mourinho, and nothing but abject disappointment has resulted from each appointment.

Bojan11

Woodward would never hire Conte, thankfully. He's too stubborn and outspoken himself, causing his own problems at Chelsea. He'll want somebody that doesn't give him too much of a hard time.
That makes no sense considering his two choices were LVG and Mourinho. Not exactly two easy going coaches.

JPRouve

Scout
If you think it's not relevant in Woodward's thinking you're deluded.

Pogba sells shirts, so does Martial. Those two haven't been in Mourinho's good books for a while and its clear they've basically played a part in getting the manager sacked.

Zidane would appease them and Woodward knows it.

It's a sorry, sorry state of affairs when two players like them two can dictate the direction of the club. They're nothing players by United terms. Pogba is talented but not enough for this, no player is never mind an inconsistent, flawed player like him. Martial is just average.

Zidane's best qualities are building a good squad harmony and that his name would attract top players. Apart from that, I just don't see it at all. We'd still have no direction going forward. I don't know who this mythical DOF is either everyone keeps banging on about. I don't think there's people like that around, you need one tailored for your own club.
I didn't say that it wasn't relevant but being relevant doesn't equate to be the main reason which is what some have insinuated. It's also not limited to Pogba players like De Gea and Sanchez will be in the equation too.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
It would be criminal if we haven't sounded out Zidane or have a plan in place when Mourinho is sacked.

CA1

I didn't say that it wasn't relevant but being relevant doesn't equate to be the main reason which is what some have insinuated.
You overestimate Woodward.

Zidane's best qualities are harmony and the attraction of top players. Woodward's plan is a Galatico plan and always has been. Because that has been proven to make money and fanfare, the results on the pitch of that plan have been mixed-poor but that doesn't interest Woodward.

He sees Zidane as someone who will appease our two big shirt sellers and feels he'll be able to attract superstar names who'll want to play for him. It's a flawed plan in lots of senses.

It will be Zidane if he wants it, I'm convinced of it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Do you seriously think the club would side with a player if the manager was actually working out?

If the manager is having all sorts of problems, proving completely unable to get the team playing properly, playing poor quality football, putting out line-ups which don't make any sense and smack of just trying to make a point, quite regularly making poor comments to the press targeted at our players, and on top of that is not getting the results that the club want...if all of that is happening do you seriously think it'll be the club siding with a player if they end up sacking the manager? At absolute worse Pogba speaking up might speed the decision up a bit, but it certainly won't be the reason.

JPRouve

Scout
You overestimate Woodward.

Zidane's best qualities are harmony and the attraction of top players. Woodward's plan is a Galatico plan and always has been. Because that has been proven to make money and fanfare, the results on the pitch of that plan have been mixed-poor but that doesn't interest Woodward.

He sees Zidane as someone who will appease our two big shirt sellers and feels he'll be able to attract superstar names who'll want to play for him. It's a flawed plan in lots of senses.

It will be Zidane if he wants it, I'm convinced of it.
I'm not overestimating anyone. Your entire post is based on things that you have no idea about we don't even know if Zidane is actually the club's first option and you are here writing about what Woodward specifically has in mind regarding Zidane. You are mixing your convictions, your feelings with someone else's.

CA1

I'm not overestimating anyone. Your entire post is based on things that you have no idea about we don't even know if Zidane is actually the club's first option and you are here writing about what Woodward specifically has in mind regarding Zidane. You are mixing your convictions, your feelings with someone else's.
I'm lisiting the reasons as to why I think it will be Zidane.

On the Zidane to United discussion thread.