L'Equipe : Zidane wants United job / all spaculation no updates

It's fairly simple, managers are rarely definitively defined after the first 2 and half seasons of their careers. Also Zidane has bought the grand total of zero players for the starting eleven, I have no idea about what he would do with a different group of players and I have no idea about the type of players that he would try to sign.

I'm simply acknowledging the fact that we are talking about an extremely young manager.
I am for Zidane managing us for the simple fact that every player in our squad grew up idolising him, he was the one they all grew up watching. We would likely need some oversight of what players we bring in but I'm convinced the squad we have now would run through brick walls to impress him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What are your thoughts about Eddie Howe?
I don't have thoughts about Eddie Howe, outside of games against United I barely see Bournemouth. But in relation to the post that you quoted, he is a good example, Howe is a full time manager since 2008 while Zidane is a full time manager since 2015. Now if you look around you will see people suggest that Howe isn't the finish product.

Bournemouth seems to be well coached though.

Siddharth

Well then we are truly doomed, if not already.
I think you are greatly underestimating the value of man-management. A man like him has great reputation in world of football. We can attract good players. And, his man-management could really bring the best out of Pogba & co. Lets see what happens.

Shark

@NotShark
I think you are greatly underestimating the value of man-management. A man like him has great reputation in world of football. We can attract good players. And, his man-management could really bring the best out of Pogba & co. Lets see what happens.
I think you are greatly underestimating the job at United in comparison to the job at Madrid/City/PSG. We have brought in a manager in Mourinho who although is past his best, has vast experience, league titles and CL’s. Thus, he has a huge reputation. What we need is an actual manager/coach who is going to grab the bull by its horns and sort out the mess of three managerial disasters. Zidane isn’t that man, for me.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

I wouldnt mind him but he did leave Real allegedly because he wanted nothing to do with the rebuild. Utd is a club that needs a rebuild every 2 years. Hard to see him taking such a difficult job and tarnishing his CV.
Potentially true, but there was a report that him and Perez clashed over transfers.

Zidane wanted Hazard(and to sell Bale), while Perez was keen to keep Bale and try and get De Gea.

Zidane had enough and stepped down afterwards.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Potentially true, but there was a report that him and Perez clashed over transfers.

Zidane wanted Hazard(and to sell Bale), while Perez was keen to keep Bale and try and get De Gea.

Zidane had enough and stepped down afterwards.
He'll love working with Woody then :rolleyes:

red thru&thru

Marco Rose is more suited to do the job. Has proven track record with youngsters, what our club is built on and plays the attacking football we crave. Also, I'm sure, someone like him will get less pressure on him, from the media, than someone like ZZ.

dove

Surely we wouldn't hire a caretaker manager for 6 months if we already had deal agreed with Zidane...

el3mel

If someone gets exclusive thing about Zidane, surely it'll be French media ?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

hobbers

If we had a deal with Zidane he'd be taking over now not in the Summer and this caretaker businesses wouldn't be needed.

el3mel

If we had a deal with Zidane he'd be taking over now not in the Summer and this caretaker businesses wouldn't be needed.
Zidane is past the point of being appointed midway in the season. He's supposedly a big manager now and no big managers get a job mid season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Zidane is the obvious choice, to the point that it's the choice that someone with no clue about football would make.

Not that I'm saying it's the wrong choice mind, especially with a good DOF. Sometimes things are obvious for good reason. I don't think it's for nothing that a lot of us who watch football so much still have reservations about him despite his trophy haul at Madrid though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yep. Man management/motivation is exactly the element we’ve been totally missing the entire time since Fergie.
It’s what gets Liverpool and City ticking.

We need a quality system implementing too, and I’ve got no idea what Zidane would be like at that, and neither does anyone else as far as I know.

SharpshooterTom

I'd prefer Zidane to Poch.

Poch has done a great job at Spurs but he's way overhyped, not won a damn thing there. Couldn't even beat Leicester to a league title. Zidane's has proven he's won the big trophies and installs a winners mentality. Poch has installed nearly men's mentality at Spurs, I know that sounds harsh given what he's up against but I'd fear the same would happen here.

I think the board will go for Poch, but personally not sure its going be as successful as people think.

izec

Poch has done a great job at Spurs but he's way overhyped, not won a damn thing there. Couldn't even beat Leicester to a league title. Zidane's has proven he's won the big trophies and installs a winners mentality. Poch has installed nearly men's mentality at Spurs, I know that sounds harsh given what he's up against but I'd fear the same would happen here.

I think the board will go for Poch, but personally not sure its going be as successful as people think.
I agree. Poch could turn out to be the manager to keep us steady in the top 4, but i am not sure how many trophies we will win

Castia

But Spurs have no right challenging for a title and finishing top 4 is arguably over achieving considering their budget, they haven’t had a home game for the best part of 2 seasons either.

The job he’s doing at Spurs is incredible. He’s signed good youth prospects for peanuts that’s built the core of the team, he’s competing with clubs who are outspending him by hundreds of millions.

JMack1234

Poch is my first choice but I'd be very happy with Zidane.

You do not win 3 CLs by being a fraud or by only being a good man-manager. Anyway it doesn't make any sense 'Zidane is only a man-manager and that enabled Real to go and beat all the best teams in Europe but when he comes up against Brighton, Huddersfield and Burnley he'll crash and burn'