g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

L'Equipe : Zidane wants United job / all spaculation no updates

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He said “I may not be the best tactician, but I have other qualities,” Zidane told reporters on Tuesday, as cited by Marca.

“Motivation and passion are values that I have, and that is worth a lot more.”
That's my point, he didn't say that he wasn't good. He was also referring to what the press was saying about him.

el3mel

That's my point, he didn't say that he wasn't good. He was also referring to what the press was saying about him.
Just admit it, no point to argue imo. Zidane isn't delusional about himself. He knows his limitation as much as his strengths. He knew he's not up for a rebuilding job, so he left Madrid to let them do it under another one, and he knew tactics isn't his best point, but his man management skills.

It's refreshing to see a manager who isn't delusional about himself in the current era. Don't understand the point of argument if he himself knows himself better than anyone.

Foxbatt

Favre is mint. Trouble is that he would never leave Dortmund so soon and Ed wouldn't have the brains to scout him.
He may if the price is right for both Dortmund and for him. Whether Ed has the brains is a different story.

JPRouve

Scout
Just admit it, no point to argue imo. Zidane isn't delusional about himself. He knows his limitation as much as his strengths. He knew he's not up for a rebuilding job, so he left Madrid to let them do it under another one, and he knew tactics isn't his best point, but his man management skills.

It's refreshing to see a manager who isn't delusional about himself in the current era. Don't understand the point of argument if he himself knows himself better than anyone.
There is nothing to admit, I never said that his tactics was the best or his best attributes in fact I said that I don't have a clue. But there is a big difference between not being the best attribute and not being good which is my point. It's also not the point that you made, you said that he can't develop players which is also something that neither of us know.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Zidane himself admitted he isn’t good at tactics only motivation
You guys need to stop playing fifa and fm.
You actually think someone who's paid severals millions euros to be a coach and has won 9 trophies in 2 years and a half did nothing more than give motivation speeches to his players?
Lol?

Xixak17

You actually think someone who's paid severals millions euros to be a coach and has won 9 trophies in 2 years and a half did nothing more than give motivation speeches to his players?
Lol?
Seriously. This is as daft as the people who say Fergie wasn't that good tactically. Tiki-taka and gegenpressing aren't the only tactics that exist. Zidane is an excellent tactician and he is the best manager out there at in-game adjustments (he is leagues ahead of even Guardiola in this regard).

He completely altered Real Madrid's style of play also. Yes they continued to be counter attacking but they played a new formation without wingers, taking advantage of their excellent fullbacks and Ronaldo's goal scoring prowess at striker.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Lol?
I think you’re taking what he said a bit too literally there. Zidane said he was successful because of his man management rather than his tactical skillset. That doesn’t mean he is complete novice tactically, it just means that the attribute that set him apart and made the difference was how he galvanised his players.

el3mel

There is nothing to admit, I never said that his tactics was the best or his best attributes in fact I said that I don't have a clue. But there is a big difference between not being the best attribute and not being good which is my point. It's also not the point that you made, you said that he can't develop players which is also something that neither of us know.
We have a clue. We watched him for 3 years.

JPRouve

Scout
We have a clue. We watched him for 3 years.
I watched him 2 and half season in a club where he wasn't in a position to develop players but in a position to maximize their performances which he did, I also saw several games where tactical in game changes turned the game. I personally won't make any conclusion after such a short time.

CA1

Zidane's not coming here.

The Caf's delusion really has reached new heights in thinking he will.

el3mel

I watched him 2 and half season in a club where he wasn't in a position to develop players but in a position to maximize their performances which he did, I also saw several games where tactical in game changes turned the game. I personally won't make any conclusion after such a short time.
No one questioned his in game management, it's very good. You need to differentiate between in game management and having a definitive style or extracting 200% from average players. 3 years is enough to say if he has a definitive style of play or not.

JPRouve

Scout
No one questioned his in game management, it's very good. You need to differentiate between in game management and having a definitive style or extracting 200% from average players. 3 years is enough to say if he has a definitive style of play or not.
I don't need anything, I didn't argue whether he had a style or not. And the in game management was in relation to the claim that he wasn't a good tactician. I told you many times that I don't know what he is but I see plenty of contradictions.

Rolaholic

Allegri's squads are very organized and tactically sound but boy is it a chore to watch them. After LvG and Jose,I'd much prefer having a manager more known for expansiveness and fluidity in attack than a stout defense tbh

Nowadays a good attack seems to be the best defense anyway

el3mel

I don't need anything, I didn't argue whether he had a style or not. And the in game management was in relation to the claim that he wasn't a good tactician. I told you many times that I don't know what he is but I see plenty of contradictions.
I don't understand how you don't how he's when he has been in management for 3 years. I mean that's pretty good enough time to start judging managers' style, tactics, man management, etc.

He showed has great man management skills, controlling the egos and his in game management and subs are usually pretty good, but his team lacked identity or definitive style unlike Pep's Barca. Our problem is not that we lack motivation. It's that we're disjointed as hell and players look like they meet each other only half an hour before the game, so I'm not sure a manager without a definitive style is what we need. That doesn't mean he's a bad manager. There's difference. I don't think some one like Carlo will be good for us now and he's a great manager, for the same reasons.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No club can get Ramos or Neymar on a whim though. Especially us in that state. LvG was dealing with fantasies. He did get di Maria, Depay, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Darmian and Blind. If they were flops, it's on him.

Maybe Barca have a good scouting system but here we play Follow the Manager. LvG scouted and signed bad players, he was backed and he failed.
Ah right, we have underperformed because of the managers. I'm wondering why every other top club can transition through managers relatively smoothly while we are stuck in a rut. It's almost as if giving the manager so much power leads to continuity issues. Also that issue of players looking great for other teams and their countries and turning to shite for us. That's all on the manager as well that stays here for 2-3 years, it happens with every manager who also seems to turn to shite when they come manage us, its all a coincidence.

Tell a manager to do things he is not qualified to do, and then when he does badly in those aspects he gets all the blame. What an easy ride for those controlling the club's direction.

Water Melon

Lads and lasses, can someone please let us know if there are any solid rumours/reports/any flipping evidence that Zizou is interested in managing us or we have at least approached him?

sherrinford

Ah right, we have underperformed because of the managers. I'm wondering why every other top club can transition through managers relatively smoothly while we are stuck in a rut. It's almost as if giving the manager so much power leads to continuity issues. Also that issue of players looking great for other teams and their countries and turning to shite for us. That's all on the manager as well that stays here for 2-3 years, it happens with every manager who also seems to turn to shite when they come manage us, its all a coincidence.

Tell a manager to do things he is not qualified to do, and then when he does badly in those aspects he gets all the blame. What an easy ride for those controlling the club's direction.
What exactly is it you are saying a manager is not qualified to do?

JPRouve

Scout
I don't understand how you don't how he's when he has been in management for 3 years. I mean that's pretty good enough time to start judging managers' style, tactics, man management, etc.

He showed has great man management skills, controlling the egos and his in game management and subs are usually pretty good, but his team lacked identity or definitive style unlike Pep's Barca. Our problem is not that we lack motivation. It's that we're disjointed as hell and players look like they meet each other only half an hour before the game, so I'm not sure a manager without a definitive style is what we need. That doesn't mean he's a bad manager. There's difference. I don't think some one like Carlo will be good for us now and he's a great manager, for the same reasons.
It's fairly simple, managers are rarely definitively defined after the first 2 and half seasons of their careers. Also Zidane has bought the grand total of zero players for the starting eleven, I have no idea about what he would do with a different group of players and I have no idea about the type of players that he would try to sign.

I'm simply acknowledging the fact that we are talking about an extremely young manager.

Crustanoid

If we can get him in now it could really galvanise us. His first season was a mid season appointment if I remember correctly-he won the CL. Not saying he would do that here but at least we’d stand a chance of improving quicker

el3mel

It's fairly simple, managers are rarely definitively defined after the first 2 and half seasons of their careers. Also Zidane has bought the grand total of zero players for the starting eleven, I have no idea about what he would do with a different group of players and I have no idea about the type of players that he would try to sign.

I'm simply acknowledging the fact that we are talking about an extremely young manager.
3 years is enough to know how a manager thinks of football, how he wants his team to play and how he manages his players.

JPRouve

Scout
3 years is enough to know how a manager thinks of football, how he wants his team to play and how he manages his players.
Which again makes no sense, you can't say that he doesn't have a definitive style and at the same time claim that you know how he wants his team to play and what he thinks about football.

el3mel

Which again makes no sense, you can't say that he doesn't have a definitive style and at the same time claim that you know how he wants his team to play and what he thinks about football.
There's no contradiction. Tactics are several things together not just one thing like you think it's. Having a definitive style is one of them, reading the opponent is another one, making good subs in game is another, etc. Some managers excel in one and lacks others. Some managers may have a system but their subs aren't much tactical, others lack style but can read the game and changes players to suit new circumstances based on it..etc. Tactics are group of things.

JPRouve

Scout
There's no contradiction. Tactics are several things together not just one thing like you think it's. Having a definitive style is one of them, reading the opponent is another one, making good subs in game is another, etc. Some managers excel in one and lacks others. Some managers may have a system but their subs aren't much tactical, others lack style but can read the game and changes players to suit new circumstances based on it..etc. Tactics are group of things.
Don't talk for me, you are the one making claims. You wrote that:

2-He doesn't have a definitive style of play. He's not going to coach our players how to move in space or how to attack. He's one of these manager that depends on the quality of players and just give them instructions on the plan of the game. He didn't need to go to Ronaldo or Modric to tell them where to move and how to score. His lack of definitive style will hurt our current set of players even more. We don't simply need a manager. We need a coach who takes players to ground and coach them some attacking movement. With Zidane, it will be 2 seasons in charge and we'll start complain about us looking devoid of ideas.
If Zidane only give his players instructions on the game plan and if he relies on their qualities then he relies on the type of players that he will bring and their characteristics. In that case since he hasn't bought players up until this point, which tactics and which players is he going to bring?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Why would he want to join this mess ? If it was about a different challenge, Juve will provide him that. If he wanted a rebuilding challenge , Real would have given it . He has never played for us either which basically rule out the "fan" option as well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
feck it, I'll take that.
They like to play through the wings but barely cross it, pretty much perfect for our wingers who can't cross to save their lives :lol:

JMack1234

I can close my eyes and picture the Man Utd marketing machine getting behind the idea of Zidane at United. Personally I think Zidane would be much better off going to Bayern where keeping the dressing room happy is enough to win the league.

el3mel

Don't talk for me, you are the one making claims. You wrote that:

If Zidane only give his players instructions on the game plan and if he relies on their qualities then he relies on the type of players that he will bring and their characteristics. In that case since he hasn't bought players up until this point, which tactics and which players is he going to bring?
Again these are 2 complete different points. I have never talked about his strategy in the market and which players he's going to buy or not. I'm talking about his style on the pitch and how his team played for 3 years. It's your problem if you need +3 years to start reaching a conclusion about how a manager plays, not us. 3 years are more than enough for anyone to know several qualities of the manager, maybe not all of them but certainly good bunch of them and that includes his play style. If you can't, then it's your problem at this point.

Kapardin

We hired Moyes, a 2000 year old LvG and Jose post nuclear meltdown. I'd say the managers are at fault. Other top clubs are cleverer in their managerial choices - look at Arsenal and Emery. Conversely, look how Real hired the wrong man (Lopetegui) and struggled.

By your logic, it's only Woodward or the manager who can take blame. The answer is that both are at fault, and one's failings does not excuse the other.

Water Melon

Lads and lasses, can someone please let us know if there are any solid rumours/reports/any flipping evidence that Zizou is interested in managing us or we have at least approached him?
Any links to contacts between Utd and Zidane or are we floating in the ocean of hopelessness looking for a tiny bit of land named "Zizou, Jardim, Carrick or anyone bar the toxic cnut Jose".

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Any links to contacts between Utd and Zidane or are we floating in the ocean of hopelessness looking for a tiny bit of land named "Zizou, Jardim, Carrick or anyone bar the toxic cnut Jose".
Think rumours have more or less dried up after the Newcastle fiasco. Only other rumour I remember was some Andy Mitten article claiming Mourinho is safe because the club can't find a successor for him. Sickening really.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

True but that sort of apply for most managers these days as signings are usually made by DOFs. Which is why even the special ones are struggling in SAFs role

Suv666

I wouldnt mind him but he did leave Real allegedly because he wanted nothing to do with the rebuild. Utd is a club that needs a rebuild every 2 years. Hard to see him taking such a difficult job and tarnishing his CV.