L'Equipe : Zidane wants United job / all spaculation no updates

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I hope this isn't against the rules, stole the below from Reddit as it offers some material for discussion. If it's against the rules, I'll delete it.

Any thoughts? I haven't really watched Madrid under Zidane and so can't say whether this is accurate or not.
The author contradicts itself several time per sentences. Just think about this, fullbacks are high and wide but aren't responsible for stretching the play? Then you have the lunacy of "fluid play" equating to little instructions? And finally, this post talk about clear patterns that the author seem to have issue with but at the same he claims that Zidane's tenure is defined by a lack of/bad positioning and little to no structure, which would mean that everything written above is nonsense.

Pyro19

After watching the tripe we serve year after year I thought United fans would be the first people to recognize that good players does not automatically mean good football.

He's won the Champions League THREE times in a fecking row. He may not be a tactical genius but he deserves a lot of credit for that Madrid side and the way they play and their mental strength.

I just saw someone call him tactically clueless on the last page. Absolutely laughable some of the posters on here :lol:. The frustration and negativity is surely turning into delusion for some here.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
What would you say was SAF's style/principles as man utd manager?
Frankly I only started following the club really closely after SAF's era so I can't really comment. As a general principle though I would argue that SAF dominated during a different era and what worked so well for him back then may not necessarily be as effective today. Do you feel that SAF had no clearly defined coaching principles and therefore it shouldn't be an issue for Zidane?

The author contradicts itself several time per sentences. Just think about this, fullbacks are high and wide but aren't responsible for stretching the play? Then you have the lunacy of "fluid play" equating to little instructions? And finally, this post talk about clear patterns that the author seem to have issue with but at the same he claims that Zidane's tenure is defined by a lack of/bad positioning and little to no structure, which would mean that everything written above is nonsense.
Hmm fair point about the fullbacks. As for your last point though, I think the poster was saying Zidane had positioning and structure problems in his third season, not that his entire tenure was defined by that.

JPRouve

Scout
Hmm fair point about the fullbacks. As for your last point though, I think the poster was saying Zidane had positioning and structure problems in his third season, not that his entire tenure was defined by that.
And the last part is nonsense because there was the exact same patterns than the one mentioned in the previous part of the post, same framework. One big difference is that they didn't replace a big league contributor in Morata and they were slightly less intense which created an inconsistency in terms of results.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
And the last part is nonsense because there was the exact same patterns than the one mentioned in the previous part of the post, same framework. One big difference is that they didn't replace a big league contributor in Morata and they were slightly less intense which created an inconsistency in terms of results.
Thanks. Will take your word for it as I don't really watch Madrid.

Mcking

Frankly I only started following the club really closely after SAF's era so I can't really comment. As a general principle though I would argue that SAF dominated during a different era and what worked so well for him back then may not necessarily be as effective today. Do you feel that SAF had no clearly defined coaching principles and therefore it shouldn't be an issue for Zidane?
Yes. Although SAF was renowed for his well structured teams and love of wing-play, he never had a well defined philosophy in the form of Pep', Sarri', Klopp', Cruyff'. He was more of a manager who adapted and coached his teams to their full strengths rather than sign players to fit a specific philosophy.
It was never a problem for him and I think Zidane is the same type of manager.
He didn't really sign a lot of players at Madrid, but the ones he had, he got them playing. He adapted and worked wonders using a diamond formation to fit in Isco when Bale couldn't stay fit.
Some term him a 'crossing' manager but looking closely, the games his team played a lot of crosses where the ones they lined up in a 442 in the sense he had two of the best headers of the ball and pretty good wingers in Asensio and Lucas.
What I'm trying to say is that Zidane is more of a coach that recognizes and maximises his players strengths, rather than one that sticks to a specific philosophy. So it'd be hard to really understand his managing 'style' because it's not really well-defined.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
RW, 2 FB, CB - I think 4 possibly

We have a good team, that are not playing to their full potential.
Even playing to full potential I don’t think many of our lot have that much to offer. I’m completely done with the vast majority. I would keep DDG and possibly Lukaku and I would get rid of the remainder. Then hire Zizou (or somebody good) to rebuild.

Cait Sith

He replaced the "tactical genius" Benitez who couldn't achieve anything with the same squad. Is it because Zidane could "motivate" them to unprecedented level (in terms of European cup) that no other team in the history of football could achieve? with what? woman, money, honey words, frog cuisine? Team could get "lucky" win it once. But then thrice in a row lucky?
Benitez was not wanted, the players hated him from the start. Ronaldo played under Sir Alex when United were feuding with Benitez and Liverpool. Then comes Benitez and tries to teach an ex United guy and narcissist like Ronaldo how to improve his freekicks. Benitez lost the dressing room by simply being Benitez.

Of course you can get lucky thrice in a row. When was the last time a team of Bayern's caliber did unforced mistakes at CL semi-final level? In BOTH legs. And of course the 2 players who wouldn't have played if the starters were actually fit (Alaba and Neuer) comitted those mistakes. But no, it doesn't stop there - in the final the player of the season across Europe gets injured and another goalkeeper howler gifts Madrid a goal. When was this seen before? 3 games in a row in the last 3 CL knockout rounds a team receives gifted goals by amateur mistakes, not even forced ones.

I'm not religious but if there is a man touched by divine powers it is without a doubt Zidane. In his playing career he had maybe 2 consistently great seasons and about 4 memorable highlight moments and he often gets mentioned as top 10 player of all time. Then he wins as many CLs in 3 years as United in its entire history.

If you want to turn an atheist man a believer - show him Zidane.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Even playing to full potential I don’t think many of our lot have that much to offer. I’m completely done with the vast majority. I would keep DDG and possibly Lukaku and I would get rid of the remainder. Then hire Zizou (or somebody good) to rebuild.
Zizou has never rebuilt a team.

Murray3007

its hard to argue about any manager who has won the CL 3 years on a trot, but just cant see him working here. Madrid had a lot of big ego's and when you are is good as Zidane was as a player its a lot easier to put them in there place, I don't think we have enough quality in the squad and think really we need a complete rebuild again. would he get a reaction out the current squad yes I think he would but wouldn't see it lasting if I am honest.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
What Zidane did was just amazing. 3 CL wins in 3 seasons, won everything there is to win (except domestic cup) in just 1.5 seasons is just unbelievable, deserves even more credit as he took over in mid season and barely made any signings in next 2 seasons.
ZZ did a fantastic job at Madrid. I am not sure how anybody could argue with that.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
A new CB, RW and maybe a false 9/no.10 and we have ourselves a team. Zidane would deliver.
I am not sure if we are just 3 players short of a title challenging team, but the question you really need to ask is, "Is Woodward prepared to spend the money to buy these players?"
I hate to keep bringing Woodward into this, but we are run as a business, in place, to make money, as the primary goal. Trophies are a secondary objective. From a footballing perspective, top 4 is what the board demand. Nothing else.

Pyro19

Benitez was not wanted, the players hated him from the start. Ronaldo played under Sir Alex when United were feuding with Benitez and Liverpool. Then comes Benitez and tries to teach an ex United guy and narcissist like Ronaldo how to improve his freekicks. Benitez lost the dressing room by simply being Benitez.

Of course you can get lucky thrice in a row. When was the last time a team of Bayern's caliber did unforced mistakes at CL semi-final level? In BOTH legs. And of course the 2 players who wouldn't have played if the starters were actually fit (Alaba and Neuer) comitted those mistakes. But no, it doesn't stop there - in the final the player of the season across Europe gets injured and another goalkeeper howler gifts Madrid a goal. When was this seen before? 3 games in a row in the last 3 CL knockout rounds a team receives gifted goals by amateur mistakes, not even forced ones.

I'm not religious but if there is a man touched by divine powers it is without a doubt Zidane. In his playing career he had maybe 2 consistently great seasons and about 4 memorable highlight moments and he often gets mentioned as top 10 player of all time. Then he wins as many CLs in 3 years as United in its entire history.

This has to be a WUM. There is no fecking way a sane person is behind a keyboard typing all this.:lol:

Rolaholic

Jesus Christ :lol::houllier:

RoyH1

People forget that Zizou inherited an absolutely loaded team. Pepe,Ramos, Marcelo, Kroos, Bale, Carvajal, Modric and Ronaldo. And the bench had James, Isco, Kovacic, Nacho, Danilo, Asensio and Varane.
In his time as manager, he brought almost nobody in. In fact, as far as I remember only 3 players were bought in all that time (Morata on a buyback, Theo and Ceballos). All 3 were subs and only Morata had any impact.

Zidane inherited a monster team from Ancelotti, Benitez and yes, Mourinho who insisted on the purchases of Modric and Varane

Of course he’s a great manager. No doubt. The luck argument doesn’t hold. You make your own luck and his accomplishments stand for themselves .He’s got more as many CL’s as a manager in 3 years as United have in all their history. But we’re looking at a major rebuild and I don’t know if he’s the right man for that.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
People forget that Zizou inherited an absolutely loaded team. Pepe,Ramos, Marcelo, Kroos, Bale, Carvajal, Modric and Ronaldo. And the bench had James, Isco, Kovacic, Nacho, Danilo, Asensio and Varane.
In his time as manager, he brought almost nobody in. In fact, as far as I remember only 3 players were bought in all that time (Morata on a buyback, Theo and Ceballos). All 3 were subs and only Morata had any impact.

Zidane inherited a monster team from Ancelotti, Benitez and yes, Mourinho who insisted on the purchases of Modric and Varane

Of course he’s a great manager. He’s got more as many CL’s as a manager in 3 years as United have in all their history. But we’re looking at a major rebuild and I don’t know if he’s the right man for that.
Varane was Zidane's idea and he is the one that landed him, also Zidane was a technical director for Real Madrid during that period of rebuilding, before that he was the president's "special advisor".

el3mel

I have doubts on him but this is one of the worst posts I have read here, by a top mile.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
RW, 2 FB, CB - I think 4 possibly

We have a good team, that are not playing to their full potential.
I agree with this.
I'll never understand why we didn't buy a RW and new fullbacks this summer.

RoyH1

You’ve got to be a Barsa fan.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
People forget that Zizou inherited an absolutely loaded team.
To the contrary actually, people won't stop reminding us of this.

Of course he’s a great manager. He’s got more as many CL’s as a manager in 3 years as United have in all their history. But we’re looking at a major rebuild and I don’t know if he’s the right man for that.
He's the biggest name available and could attract the very best players. He could help us secure the signatures of a few more great players to add to the likes Pogba, Martial, Lukaku, De Gea etc which would give us a very strong starting 11. (As @FootyGirl88 said, CB LB RB RW... make top quality additions in these areas and we have a very strong team)

The big question is whether the board would be willing to bankroll more big, expensive signings or whether or not they want to go the Pochettino route instead...

I expect one of Zidane or Pochettino will be our next manager, can't see anyone else being seriously considered.

Canagel

:lol:

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

:lol:

PvsNP

You deserve a tagline for this post.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I like Zidane, but getting him in after Mourinho looks more like throwing the fans a bone rather than having a clue what we're doing. How long will it be until we're saying Zidane should go because Pogba, Martial and co weren't feeling it on any particular day?
The club has deep rooted issues which no flavour of the month manager can fix.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I think you have already had enough rebuilding. You can not be eternally with the same thing.
At this point I think that the coach who comes has to manage the players available. Tactically he is influenced by Italian football. In Madrid he has always sought an offensive football, being able to adapt to the situation, both playing counter or possession. He is not Helenio Herrera but not simply a motivator either.
In any case, after two such rigid coaches as Van Gaal and Mourinho I think the players would appreciate another profile, in which Zidane enters (although personally I can hardly imagine him in English football)

dmode

Ok this is getting really freaky, are you guys really supporting Manchester United? Do you know anything about class and principles?

Maureen is the way to go, even if he fecks up this season too.

Razwy

Changing ONLY the manager won't solve our issues...A change at the board level ( a very good DOF) is needed first and then we can look at the manager.

Last edited:

reddaz71

Imagine if you will bringing in a manager who couldn't get the best out of the likes of Varane and Isco and Kroos in La Liga for a team which is riddled with mediocrity in Smalling, Jones, Fellaini,Young etc...would be a disastrous appointment bringing in Zidane, but hey it would be nothing less than the men in suits deserve!

JPRouve

Scout
Imagine if you will bringing in a manager who couldn't get the best out of the likes of Varane and Isco and Kroos in La Liga for a team which is riddled with mediocrity in Smalling, Jones, Fellaini,Young etc...would be a disastrous appointment bringing in Zidane, but hey it would be nothing less than the men in suits deserve!
You do realize that Real Madrid won La Liga and had the best record during the second part of the 2015/2016 season when they finished one point behind Barcelona?

jmaggio

>United post Match press conference
>4-2 loss to Cardiff City
>Mourinho glum, bags under his eyes
“Of course I am disappointed with the result,eh...”
>Zidane appears at the back of the room, silently watching with folded arms
>Mourinho visibly sweating
“But you know... don’t forget... Wales is strong... Gareth Bale, he is from wales too, don’t forget”
>Zidane walks up to the table
>Mourinho extends his hand out of shock and out of fear
>Buckets of Portuguese salt, buckets of sweat
>Zidane smiles
>Headbutts Mourinho into the wall and into irrelevancy
>The press cheers
>Pogba dabs
>Crime in Manchester drops by 20%
>Roy Keane mutters “Ludicrous”
>Souness having to be held back from pogba

Rolaholic

You do realize that Real Madrid won La Liga and had the best record during the second part of the 2015/2016 season when they finished one point behind Barcelona?
Why would you let an annoying things like facts get in the way of someone's opinion?