Let’s sign Gareth Bale

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
No. We don't need another moody and isolated player in this dressing room. We've bought wrong for years - he'd be another wrong one.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He would be the classic Ed Woodward older player signing. No fee, high wages, good for shirt sales.

StrettyEnder07

The only way I would consider this is if it is a one year loan deal where we pay half his wages and a small loan fee.

It would potentially solve the RW without spending much money allowing for it to be spent elsewhere and potentially could mean that we can get Sancho next summer after sending Bale back to Madrid.

That is the only way I would consider it, if they are talking permanent, absolutely no chance.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Van Persie looked 'done at the high level' the two years prior to him joining United?
Maybe not done but elevated himself to undoubtedly world class level the first season with us.

Ok let’s use a Fergie example - Jaap Stam
SAF must have been smoking something in hindsight

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Honest question, if anybody has examples...

Has there ever been one of those player who seems done at a high level club... which goes to another one at 30 and BOOM he's playing like when he was at his physical peak 4 or 5 years ago...?
Zidane was 29 when he joined Real Madrid though that was more his choice.

Michael Laudrup was 30 when he transferred from barca to real Madrid.

Beckham and inzaghi were 28 when they were chucked out and had to find another club.

Edgar Davids was 31 when he joined barca on loan and turned their season around.

Makelele was 30 when he was chucked from real Madrid.

Henry was 30 when he joined Barcelona.

Anelka was 29 when he joined Chelsea.

Roberto Baggio was 30 when he left Milan after a failed stay.

Luis Figo was 32 going on 33 when he joined inter Milan.

Sing you a song

To me Gareth Bale has always come across as a decent guy not like some of the ego maniacs we currently have .
In terms of signing for us it’s now or never a major risk because of injury record but even if we are looking for younger , hungrier players I still think we need a talismanic player for them to look up to someone like Eric or Zlatan in his first season.
Pogba is too much about himself rather than the team to be that man and Sanchez is shot but Bale could be the answer and let’s face facts it may be the only way we are able to get rid of one of them.
If it meant a way out for Pogba or Sanchez I would take the risk

Frank Grimes

I wouldn't be completely averse to a James Rodriguez type deal. His injury record is a concern but he is a really good player. If we can get Sanchez out in the summer and Bale came in it could work out really well.

DeGea

He is not the right age, and he should only be bought if his heart is in it. If his attitude is "meh" and is indifferent as to whether he plays for us or not, I say don't.

We are lacking passion at the moment, and need to find hungry players ready to fight for the shirt. Not sure if Bale will be motivated enough - he is at the wrong end of his career.

scoi

If Madrid don't want him and Utd are the only team who are interested, that puts Utd in a very strong negotiating position especially for a loan move. Not an ideal choice but it would mean that focus can be put on other positions that need to be focussed on.

This is where strong strategic leadership needs to be put in place to make the right decisions. Bale would be a fall back plan in my book if buying the likes of Sandro and Ziyech fall through.

mad1max954

Honest question, if anybody has examples...

Has there ever been one of those player who seems done at a high level club... which goes to another one at 30 and BOOM he's playing like when he was at his physical peak 4 or 5 years ago...?
Oh Robin Van Persie. Think he was 29 when we got him but what a season!

redshaw

Beckham and inzaghi were 28 when they were chucked out and had to find another club.

Edgar Davids was 31 when he joined barca on loan and turned their season around.

The person did say 30 and also the footballer had to appear to be done. I don't remember Zidane being done at Juve.

Not only that, he went for a world record fee and was the best player in the world. Total opposite of Bale or player who appears done.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Maybe not done but elevated himself to undoubtedly world class level the first season with us.

Ok let’s use a Fergie example - Jaap Stam
SAF must have been smoking something in hindsight
Van Persie’s last Arsenal season was probably even better than the next one with us. The only difference was, Arsenal were shit and failed to capitalize on his incredible performance level.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Strangely enough, I still think that it could work. Those kind of deals are not always bad, and we’ve been terribly unlucky with them lately.

That said, if we sign or loan for him, we should force Madrid to a very favorable arrangement — they’re in an incredibly shitty position with his salary and open conflict with Zidane. 2-year loan deal with a possibility of buying out his contract sounds good.

LiquidSnake

Roben left madrid after not setting the world alight

Granted he wasn't 30 though
I thought more about Shevchenko, Henry, Ballack...

Good answers for some... But I feel like you didn't get my first idea.

Clearly my idea isn't about "Are you done at 30 years old at top level football ?".

My question would rather be "Is there any top player at roughly 30 years old underperforming/injured for a whole season (or two), that changed club and then found his level prior to this underperforming time".

The last time I saw this trick pulled was Andrea Pirlo at Juventus. And for offensive player, I genuinely can't think of anyone.

IMHO, those kind of transfers are the worst and just a disaster to happens. Especially with marquee signings, huge wages, high expectations...

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Huge, unnecessary risk. When he’s fit sure he’s world class but he’s injury prone / not reliable and about to turn 30. Don’t forget about the contract he’d want, probably be another long term commitment in the 3-4 year range.

Maybe if this was 2014 but it’s not...and for those saying he’d be an upgrade on our current attackers, that’s exactly what was said about Di Maria and Alexis too...

Zlatattack

All these players weren't sicknotes.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We never learn. No wonder why top players turn us down only to line up in joining us once they are finished

Bale chose his bed. Now he better enjoy sleeping in it. Hospital/retiring home Carrington has closed shop

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Struggling to think of goalscorers.
Only one that comes to mind is Falcao. Was a laughing stock at United, just as bad at Chelsea, then went back to being prolific in that great Monaco team. Not exactly the highest level, but I don’t think too many saw it coming.

matt10000

The only way I would consider this is if it is a one year loan deal where we pay half his wages and a small loan fee.

It would potentially solve the RW without spending much money allowing for it to be spent elsewhere and potentially could mean that we can get Sancho next summer after sending Bale back to Madrid.

That is the only way I would consider it, if they are talking permanent, absolutely no chance.
I agree with StrettyEnder07. This makes perfect sense to me. We need a strategy of the best of British young players with something to prove who won't get itchy feet after ten minutes. If players like Bale come along who don't fit the strategy but add something extra then we take them on loan rather than spending a fortune

StrettyEnder07

I agree with StrettyEnder07. This makes perfect sense to me. We need a strategy of the best of British young players with something to prove who won't get itchy feet after ten minutes. If players like Bale come along who don't fit the strategy but add something extra then we take them on loan rather than spending a fortune
Would make sense for me, has something to prove, come do it at us in a league you know well, smash it up and maybe go back to Madrid with a chance of getting back in the side.

Us on the other hand can (fingers crossed) get back in the top 4, another year for Sancho to development and he could be our main signing next year.

If for argument sake we have 250m this year to spend (before a potential Pogba sale, lets assume he stays), if you can get Bale for what maybe 10m loan fee (give or take) and half his wages, you then have 240m for a CF, CMx2, DC, RB.

All seems so simple haha, no doubt we will spend 120m on Bale and put him on 600k a week haha

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
To me Gareth Bale has always come across as a decent guy not like some of the ego maniacs we currently have .
In terms of signing for us it’s now or never a major risk because of injury record but even if we are looking for younger , hungrier players I still think we need a talismanic player for them to look up to someone like Eric or Zlatan in his first season.
Pogba is too much about himself rather than the team to be that man and Sanchez is shot but Bale could be the answer and let’s face facts it may be the only way we are able to get rid of one of them.
If it meant a way out for Pogba or Sanchez I would take the risk
I'd bet you loads of money that Bale has a huge ego. Have you seen his attitude when he's played for Madrid?
And don't blame Zidane - Bale's been like that for ages. He's got zero motivation and believes he's owed a starting spot no matter how shit he is.
He would be a big mistake.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
All these people wanting Bale, I don't want to hear one word said about Woodward if he does this stupidity.

Can't believe we're having problems with an unmotivated team and people want to add Bale to the lot. Moreover, his injury record is appalling. Move on from the 'big' names.

FujiVice

Here's a question - would you take a straight swap (wage for wage, no transfer fee, just a player for a player) for Bale and Sanchez?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I thought more about Shevchenko, Henry, Ballack...

Good answers for some... But I feel like you didn't get my first idea.

Clearly my idea isn't about "Are you done at 30 years old at top level football ?".

My question would rather be "Is there any top player at roughly 30 years old underperforming/injured for a whole season (or two), that changed club and then found his level prior to this underperforming time".

The last time I saw this trick pulled was Andrea Pirlo at Juventus. And for offensive player, I genuinely can't think of anyone.

IMHO, those kind of transfers are the worst and just a disaster to happens. Especially with marquee signings, huge wages, high expectations...
Baggio and Figo both looked likely their were over the hill when they made the move and still had plenty of great years left in them.

redshaw

I would hope Bale stays there, collects his money and we get better options in. I doubt Ole wants Bale but if we do have a terrible window I can see the club trying to talk Ole into accepting Bale with the tour coming.

Also if Bale agrees to go on loan I'd bet he would choose a London club or another Spanish club before us.

Gandalf

I'd bet you loads of money that Bale has a huge ego. Have you seen his attitude when he's played for Madrid?
And don't blame Zidane - Bale's been like that for ages. He's got zero motivation and believes he's owed a starting spot no matter how shit he is.
He would be a big mistake.
Sorry but this is just wrong on so many levels. The Madrid fans can be pretty poisonous at the best of times but in the case of Bale they have essentially treated him like crap for years and Zidane has compounded that. Bale had no issues with being on the bench in the 2017 CL final because he was only just back from injury and others deserved their spot even though it was heartbreaking for him with the final being in his home town. He was rightly furious at being dropped for the 2018 final when he had scored 5 goals in the previous 4 games and was in red hot form which he proved by coming on and winning the game for which Zidane and the fans gave him zero credit.

Bale is highly motivated and is better than any current United player and it is not even close. I am not advocating signing him because I don't believe buying 30 year olds is how you rebuild but to pretend he is in any way not good enough or not professional enough comparted to what we currently have is a joke. If by some twist he does sign here I guarantee you he would be our top scorer next season and would instantly make us a hell of a lot more competitive against the likes of City and Liverpool.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Sorry but this is just wrong on so many levels. The Madrid fans can be pretty poisonous at the best of times but in the case of Bale they have essentially treated him like crap for years and Zidane has compounded that. Bale had no issues with being on the bench in the 2017 CL final because he was only just back from injury and others deserved their spot even though it was heartbreaking for him with the final being in his home town. He was rightly furious at being dropped for the 2018 final when he had scored 5 goals in the previous 4 games and was in red hot form which he proved by coming on and winning the game for which Zidane and the fans gave him zero credit.

Bale is highly motivated and is better than any current United player and it is not even close. I am not advocating signing him because I don't believe buying 30 year olds is how you rebuild but to pretend he is in any way not good enough or not professional enough comparted to what we currently have is a joke. If by some twist he does sign here I guarantee you he would be our top scorer next season and would instantly make us a hell of a lot more competitive against the likes of City and Liverpool.
I actually think if we're to undergo a 'british' rebuild of the spine, perhaps having one of the most successful and arguably currently best British player around in the dressing room might help, in terms of inspiration, expertise and even to help lure young british talent.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Would take him on a loan arrangement like we did with Falcao, if he's shite/injured all the time we can easily discard him.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's probably different posters, not the same.

Any rational person knows that there's only mercenaries now. It's just a matter of getting the ones that want to perform.
I know, but still. It just seems weird to me that everyone wants to sign players that actually want to be here, yet some would happily dismiss that to sign a player who turned us down before we were shit.

ravi2

And I can guarantee you that if he does sign he may have a few good games then get injured for most of the season like he's been doing in madrid for years. Have you seen his injury record there?

Scholsey2004

What like everyone else at OT, were thinking about giving Rashford 300k ffs, at least Bale has the talent and pedigree to justify his, Rashford getting his for simply being a Manc.
Rashford had better numbers in terms of goals and assists this season. 8 goals and three assists for bale in la Liga.