Let’s sign Gareth Bale

tjb

Worst transfer we can make at the moment, a 29 year old on massive wages, who feels he has already achieved in football, with a horrible injury record. There is no worse transfer in football at the moment, particularly for us, a team rebuilding. Only teams like PSG should be willing to absorb that as they crave star power, we are already a global brand, so we do not need this at all

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Injured beyond repair at top level
Garbage attitude
Turning 30
Severely underperforming
Huge ego
Massive wages
Disrupts the squad
Will be shoehorned into the team like Sanchez taking away our younger talents

He literally encompasses ALL the problems we have with our players and ALL the mistakes Ed has made with previous transfers.

Who the feck wants him anywhere near a top team?

Ed can not possibly be THAT incompetent can he?

Look-a-Hill

The muppet in me would still take him.

And I think the Sanchez comparisons are a bit unfair because I reckon Bale would actually do something in the three matches he plays each season.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Garbage attitude
Turning 30
Severely underperforming
Huge ego
Massive wages
Disrupts the squad

He literally encompasses ALL the problems we have with our players and ALL the mistakes Ed has made with previous transfers.

Huge ego? Rubbish, he’s got a great attitude and is very down to earth considering who he is

Gandalf

Garbage attitude
Turning 30
Severely underperforming
Huge ego
Massive wages
Disrupts the squad

Garbage attitude - nope just sick of being the whipping boy for everything wrong at Real
Turning 30 - yes
Severely Underperforming - Scored 102 goals in 231 appearances for Real and frequently in the biggest games, see last seasons CL final
Huge ego - no evidence of this at all, Redknapp and Giggs would say he is as humble as they come
Massive wages - yes
Disrupts the squad - nope, no evidence of this
Will be shoehorned..... - He is a winger, we have no wingers, shoehorned my arse

Again, I don't think we should be signing him and I doubt we are top of his list of destinations either, but there is a whole lot of crap being talked about a player who is better than anyone we have had since Ronaldo left. Got to also point out that he played 39 games last year and 42 games this year and was available on numerous occasions that he did not play such as the last 3 league games this year so the terminally injured stuff is way off the mark too.

I’d still take his talent, but his heart wouldn’t be in it one bit. He’s never had any interest in coming here and all he ever talks about is wanting to stay in Madrid. For that reason I think he’d be a shocking signing.
I’d change my mind regarding a loan move if Bale changed his tune, but he won’t.

Name Changed

weso26
I would not consider him for one single second. We have enough players on massive wages who have a terrible attitude. We certainly don't need another and one that would be on even more.

crossy1686

career ending
Garbage attitude
Turning 30
Severely underperforming
Huge ego
Massive wages
Disrupts the squad

All these things. He's been shocking and clearly on the decline, I'm worried because that's our MO.

hardgour

I'm not 100% against it. He is obviously talented and if we get him on a 2yr deal (MAX), he would be a great stop gap for our younger players to mature while maintaining our competitiveness. He would also need to take a pay cut.

I am curious if he does have a chip on his shoulder or not. He has won everything you can just about, but he has been talked down a lot by the media and supporters. If he did have a chip on his shoulder, I'd be more interested in getting him as he would come out on fire. I dont feel like Sanchez had that chip/fire. He was happy just receiving a wage

koop

The only way I would probably take him is in the same situation as Sanchez.

Free or very low price, and wages...meh who am I kidding, he would probably demand 300k.

StrettyEnder07

Rashford had better numbers in terms of goals and assists this season. 8 goals and three assists for bale in la Liga.
I think you can forgive Bale a poor 6 months when he has been frozen out, I think the last 6 years give him a bit of leeway don't you?

In terms of footballing ability alone they are on different planets.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
We're going to fall for it and cry after he scores 6 goals in one season. Woodward will not resist the urge.

StrettyEnder07

Rashford had better numbers in terms of goals and assists this season. 8 goals and three assists for bale in la Liga.
Maybe in La Liga but overall games in all competitions this season, Rashford 57 games 15 goals 7 assists. Bale 46 games 17 games 6 assists.

So maybe not.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think you can forgive Bale a poor 6 months when he has been frozen out, I think the last 6 years give him a bit of leeway don't you?
He was frozen out the last 3 games, not 6 months. This was supposed to be his season, finally as the star of the team, and he mailed in the worst season of his career...

StrettyEnder07

He was frozen out the last 3 games, not 6 months. This was supposed to be his season, finally as the star of the team, and he mailed in the worst season of his career...
3 games? He has hardly been injured so if he has only been frozen out for 3 games how come he has only played 21 games in La Liga, surely that should have been higher?

The fact you're slagging him/his footballing ability off because he has had one bad season is actually laughable.

Money on it you were bowing down to him last season when he destroyed the scousers in Kiev?

I personally don't want him as 30 in July but to saying he is no longer a top class player whose form over the past 4/5 years doesn't merit the wages he is on, comes across as being pretty clueless.

231 games 102 goals and 64 assists for Madrid, shocking that.

Camilo

Real are desperate to get rid, so all the power would be with us. Madrid still owe him 50 odd million in wages, so basically that has to come off any transfer fee.. And seeing as no right minded person would value him at much more than that, he would basically have to be free..

So would we take him on a (say) two year loan, with us paying ten million a year? For that money I'd say absolutely. He always strikes me as a total professional, and just because Sanchez has been a joke doesn't mean Bale would be.. We just need a safe get-out and an clear and obvious "Madrid are subsidising this" wage deal.

Then, what's there to lose? We're shite and are young players are shite too.

StrettyEnder07

What cracks me up is that fact that our fans are like NO NO NO NO NO don't want him, he has had a crap season, he is shite bla bla bla.

Everyone knows for a fact if he came, he would be our best attacker by an absolute country mile.

I don't want Bale because we have Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Mata, Lukaku and Sanchez, do me a favour!

Pavl3n

We should be exploring all sorts of possibilities to loan him.
If he's on €600k I'm sure we can offer him £250k a month for a season loan + option for another season and say a €5m fee.

I'm sure if Mourinho ends up at Juve, Bale could end up there after some great negotiating work from Juve.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Bringing Bale would benefit our young forwards as they will be playing with a world-class talent up front. Lukaku is not world class by any means and cannot be trusted to lead the line, A loan deal would be a good option to get Bale if we end up offloading Lukaku and Sanchez (frontline/wage). This will also reflect on players like Lingard and co who will become to understand their role will be just a squad player, like they should have been all this time. The lack of class in our forward line is pathetic so if we do end up getting someone like Bale just to elevate the level of play up front and to push young players (Rashford, Martial, possibly Greenwood) to do better then why not?

We had Henrik Larsson join us on hardly a season and he did well, why shouldn't a world-class player like Bale join us on loan? He's premiership proven, he was tearing teams apart with Tottenham, he went to Real Madrid and did well given the opportunities and the fact that RM was built around Cristiano. We just need to manage him properly (fitness mainly). We need an experienced player up front and this guy won more champions league trophies than our club so why not push for a loan deal?

redgozza

I don't think we should sign him if there is a big transfer fee attached to it but its so clear that Real want him out simply to loose his wage bill (just as we want rid of Sanchez) that he could be snapped up for practically nothing or even a free. He's had a nightmare season but he's a class player who would undoubtedly improve us. Yes he's not the age profile Ole is looking at but we need some experienced players who have been there and done it (because you won't win anything with kids - right?). If there is a bargain to be had or as part of a deal for Pogba I'd call that good business. The commercial guys would like having him too - lets just go easy on the instagram videos if he comes and maybe let's not give the 7 shirt to anyone until they have proved they have the right stuff to really fill it.

Steven-UK

He'll run his contract down I think. He is getting to retirement age (ish), has won enough in the game, and his £51 million (net) wages over three years will be just too tempting to jeopardise. I wouldn't blame him either.

I'd love to see him here though, on a loan.

Mainoldo

He’s mugging off Madrid can you imagine Alexis trying this stunt. His careers over there but like above you can’t blame him for sitting on the money.

Well run club Madrid :houllier:

redgozza

He'll run his contract down I think. He is getting to retirement age (ish), has won enough in the game, and his £51 million (net) wages over three years will be just too tempting to jeopardise. I wouldn't blame him either.
Do you really think that he wouldn't rather be playing football in a team that wants him. He already has enough money for life and its not like he would be on peanuts at United. The one thin he won't be able to do in retirement is play football to the best of his ability. If he wants to protect his income then he need to do what he is going now and wait for Real to push him rather than make it easy for them by jumping. That way he'll go for practically no fee and the club that takes him can spend the transfer money on his wages. I just can' see him being at Real next season.

CaptainAvengers

Signing Gareth Bale would be the same mistake we have been making for the last 10 years.. signing a player on reputation who is over-the-hill. Yes will get Woodward and co some extra sponsorship deals but not the right move ON the football pitch.

Where is the clubs priorities..

Signing Bale is the easiest thing in the World it doesn't require any genius.. he's available for a cheapo price, has a reputation etc.. sometimes you shouldn't always take the easiest option.

I just wish we take a different approach for once and take the long, difficult route of Manchester United building a "project" to be a force in 5-10 years instead of constantly attempting a quick fix every summer.. there is NO quick fix. We have to accept a few years in the doldrums.. boo hoo! we have been dominating for years.. not the end of the World!

Hawks2008

What cracks me up is that fact that our fans are like NO NO NO NO NO don't want him, he has had a crap season, he is shite bla bla bla.

Everyone knows for a fact if he came, he would be our best attacker by an absolute country mile.

I don't want Bale because we have Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Mata, Lukaku and Sanchez, do me a favour!
You mean like how Sanchez was supposed to be?

Or like how Schweinsteiger was the midfielder we were missing?

fallengt

Never understood why some people have a hard for Bale.
At least we have rumors of Sanchez leaving. Bale just happily sit on his mega contract.

Lexxxzi

Never understood why some people have a hard for Bale.
Bale is not the guy from Real that Utd ought to go for... There is a big chance Bale is already over the top. Odegaard, on the other hand, could very well become the new Messi and has already proven himself to be way ahead of the players in his own generation. He is 20 years old and Real don't seem to have Odegaard in their plans for next season.

Utd need hungry players. Not players like Bale or Dybala...

StrettyEnder07

You mean like how Sanchez was supposed to be?

Or like how Schweinsteiger was the midfielder we were missing?
Schweinsteiger was well past it, anyone who had a club at all new that bar Woodward and maybe you?

Sanchez yeah, don't think there was a United or Arsenal fan on the planet who could have predicted his fall from grace.

You are right though, he might have trouble matching Sanchez's 2 goals in 35+ games, Rashford's one goal in his last what 13/14 games, Lukaku and his massive goal drought, Mata and his 1 goal every 6 months, Martial and his 1 or 2 performances every six months.

Bale does have massive standards to beat, you are correct. In fact I'm quite surprised that were after an attacker at all with all those goals and assists we have flowing through the side.

The fact that a CM is our top scorer, says it all.....

redshaw

I can only see a loan deal with Real paying about half his wages. He won't want to lose out on his 54 million for his remaining 3 years.

Reported he's on 600k and clears 350k after tax. To pay half we'd have to pay 300k which seems a lot for a player we don't own.

Problem with Madrid just releasing him for free is Bale will want his 54 million one way or another and no club is going to pick up the tab of making sure he clears 350k after tax for the next 3 years.

Think he would be a top plan b sub for two years though. Similar to Teddy.

Hawks2008

Schweinsteiger was well past it, anyone who had a club at all new that bar Woodward and maybe you?

Sanchez yeah, don't think there was a United or Arsenal fan on the planet who could have predicted his fall from grace.

You are right though, he might have trouble matching Sanchez's 2 goals in 35+ games, Rashford's one goal in his last what 13/14 games, Lukaku and his massive goal drought, Mata and his 1 goal every 6 months, Martial and his 1 or 2 performances every six months.

Bale does have massive standards to beat, you are correct. In fact I'm quite surprised that were after an attacker at all with all those goals and assists we have flowing through the side.

The fact that a CM is our top scorer, says it all.....
Never said we don't need forwards but Bale is washed up.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is a risk but he would be huge huge upgrade. I think that we should first explore situation with his attitude. Is he done with football or not? If he still has desire and hunger then we can try to do some low risk deal. Real is in awful situation with him( coach doesn't want him and he is on huge wage) .
So they will accept nearly anything and Bale also will surely take smaller wage and play rather than be out of squad. 10 mil fee to Real and 2+1 year contract with 200k per week to Bale. Plus bonuses.
Or some kind of loan option.

Revaulx

On paper. He wouldn't stop our attack looking collectively clueless, unless he's got untapped coaching potential.

Straw man. Who is saying this? Everyone knows our attack is shite. People merely question whether adding Bale at £600k a week is the best way to improve it.