Let’s sign Gareth Bale

SapperBRed75

We can afford him (I don't believe money will be a massive motivator now, he's loaded) and a return to the EPL is possibly on. But what is the impact on our squad and why would he want to play in a Mourinho system which hasn't created conditions for creativity and attacking play from wingers and attacking midfielders to this point? He'd want to play every week for SAF, but for JM? Sad to say it, but I could see other clubs that currently would accommodate his talent better...

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
Kane going other direction?
No chance re Kane.

There's rumours Bale might be coming back to Spurs.

I can't see it. It would mean spurs blowing a huge part of their summer budget on one player when we need a CB, CM too etc

That said, Bale is a match winner and putting him in the current Spurs side would make us title challengers no doubt. Is he the marquee signing Levy wants for the new stadium opening?

We have first refusal and the right to match any bid Madrid accept. Bale has always left the door open to come back to Spurs.

And he has just bought a house in Chigwell. Why would he do that if he wasn't coming back? Strange.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
If you didn't want him before the final and have changed your mind because of a bicycle kick that's rather silly.

Remazic

Naah, the "i need to play more" is more like message for mr 3 times in a row manager...still only 28 so would not mind but he is injury prone.

Mercurial

But its not true, the shirt sales myth still being a thing in 2018 is frankly bizarre.
Not so much shirts per se as much as marketability appeal, popularity and such. No denying it he would strengthen the 'brand'. Can't say I have exact knowledge of our income % pie charts but I bet a substantial amount of it is from that segment.

Josep Dowling

Injury prone maybe but he said in his interview he’s been fit all season except the start.

Sometimes you have to take a chance and he’s worth taking the risk on. Exactly the player we need right now. City are after a RW by the looks of it. I can see him going there if he did leave Real Madrid.

Dan

Repeats the comments in the post match press conference.

Mercurial

Injury prone maybe but he said in his interview he’s been fit all season except the start.

Sometimes you have to take a chance and he’s worth taking the risk on. Exactly the player we need right now. City are after a RW by the looks of it. I can see him going there if he did leave Real Madrid.
He would be dead to me if he did that forever.

Of all the players of seasons past like Falcao, Injured Zlatan, etc i'd think taking a chance on Bale makes sense. If he stays fit the ROI will be astronomical and can spark a new great era.

Marcelinho87

Bale has averaged 2227 minutes per season over the last 3 seasons after averaging 3752 minutes per season for the previous 3 seasons. He's on 600k/week wages until June 2022. That's roughly 125m in wages plus an 80m transfer fee for his services until June 2022.

For the same wages and double the transfer fee, United could add four 21-26 year old players on 150k/week wages to the first team until June 2022. Buying declining players and their 600k/week contracts that run until June 2022 is not squad building, imo.
But I don't want four 21-26 year olds who may or may not be class.

Bale WILL be class.

Bwuk

No chance re Kane.

There's rumours Bale might be coming back to Spurs.

I can't see it. It would mean spurs blowing a huge part of their summer budget on one player when we need a CB, CM too etc

That said, Bale is a match winner and putting him in the current Spurs side would make us title challengers no doubt. Is he the marquee signing Levy wants for the new stadium opening?

We have first refusal and the right to match any bid Madrid accept. Bale has always left the door open to come back to Spurs.

And he has just bought a house in Chigwell. Why would he do that if he wasn't coming back? Strange.
Bale is meant to be on 350k a week after tax. So, say 700k pre tax.

Harry Kanes rumoured to be getting offered 200k. Do you think Spurs would really come anywhere near paying what Bale would want.

Hamadovich86

Brilliant player who is injured a lot of the time and has a contract until 2022. Madrid have no reason to sell unless he really pushes hard to leave and if he does he'll cost more than what they paid for originally. If he wasnt an injury risk I would've been fine with it but hes a glass man whos turning 29 in a few weeks so I dont think he would be a good investment at this stage.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Ok, I've had my doubts, but that performance against Liverpool was basically the ultimate United audition.

Issued a 'come get me' plea in his post match interview.

Give him what he wants and lets bring this fine lad home to the PL.

What say you lot?
The day he becomes available we should be front of the queue. What he did last night doesn't matter. Dude is proven

ZupZup

If there is any possibility, we should try and sign him. Although I’ve always thought that.

He’s genuinely world class and we need a player in that position. He could turn us into title challengers.

Zoo

It’s all down to Bale really. Zidane and Real would take the money and go for Hazard.

Robertd0803

Of course. I'd have said that before last night as well.

Bale is a game changer, capable of the something magic that we lack. And again held that opinion before last night as well.

DRM

Brilliant player who is injured a lot of the time and has a contract until 2022. Madrid have no reason to sell unless he really pushes hard to leave and if he does he'll cost more than what they paid for originally. If he wasnt an injury risk I would've been fine with it but hes a glass man whos turning 29 in a few weeks so I dont think he would be a good investment at this stage.
29 you say? Fits the Jose profile :lol:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I’d take him but he’d have to drop the wage to come here.

We’re the only club, maybe Chelsea that’d he’d realistically sign for. City don’t need him, Klopp couldn’t afford him. He won’t go to a club with no UCL next season.

PSG?

SAFMUTD

Bale has averaged 2227 minutes per season over the last 3 seasons after averaging 3752 minutes per season for the previous 3 seasons. He's on 600k/week wages until June 2022. That's roughly 125m in wages plus an 80m transfer fee for his services until June 2022.

For the same wages and double the transfer fee, United could add four 21-26 year old players on 150k/week wages to the first team until June 2022. Buying declining players and their 600k/week contracts that run until June 2022 is not squad building, imo.
Totally agree, its funny how the opinion of some changes easily just because one goal, Bale is capable of doing great stuff? Sure, is he world class? Sure when he is playing. But if Madrid thinks he can be world class all year they would not sell him. I hope we dont fall in the trap, Bale is just to injury prone and is on massive wages having him on the squad injured would limit our spending on other players and we will be dealing with more egos. We should focus on getting players that have great potential and can become world class here, not youngsters but consolidated players that are ready to take the next step. That’s the madrid model, they signed Kross, Modric, Ronaldo, Ramos all while they were young and spent their prime years with them.

OfficialUnitedDogWalker

I hope that he either signs for us, or he stays at Madrid. But here's my thoughts on where he will be playing next season.

Real Madrid - He clearly loves playing for Real, he loves the city and the weather, he makes bucket loads of money and wins trophies every year. Ideally he would probably rather stay, but I can't see them giving him any assurances so I think this is the summer that he actually leaves.

Bayern - I can't imagine him moving to Germany. He struggled with Spanish and German is a much harder language. Plus they would not pay the wages he would want or the transfer fee.

Spurs - His former club, I think he would likely feel the most comfortable going back 'home' as he is already familiar with the club, the area etc. However, I can't imagine them paying him much more than $200k/week before tax. Tottenham have a stadium to pay off so would they be able to pay 80 mil for him plus wages? I don't think so.

Chelsea - Could be part of a swap deal with Hazard. However, I can't imagine Bale happily playing in the Europa League next season. So I think Chelsea are not an option.

Liverpool - Play exciting football which could be tempting, but Liverpool won't pay his wages and it's Liverpool. Plus I can't imagine him contributing enough off the ball for Klopp.

City - This one would annoy/scare me the most. They are looking for a right-sided player. They have the players already so they would not miss him when he does get injured, and they would keep him wrapped in cotton wool for the champions league matches where he really would increase their chances. They can afford him and they can pay his wages. I think he would enjoy playing for Pep and in a team that plays the way City do, I just hope that he wouldn't want to play for a plastic oil club.

United - I have always had this feeling he was destined to one day play for us and wear the 11. We can afford him, we can pay him decent wages, and we need him. I know he has snubbed us twice in the past. However, I don't believe this means he doesn't want to ever play for us. The first time he said he chose Tottenham because he knew he would play in the first team, however, he feared he wouldn't get this at United (and Sir Alex said he wasn't given the chance to talk to him by Southampton). The second time he snubbed us for Real Madrid, as a United fan, I would never make that choice but it is hard to blame him, he didn't have to hurt Spurs by going to a Premier League club and we had just replaced Sir Alex with David Moyes! United is the only club in terms of history and stature that isn't a huge step down (apart from Bayern, Barca, and Juve). I would think us the favorites atm.

Reactions: Penna

Mercurial

Shirt sales have not, and will never, funded any transfer. It's an utterly ridiculous myth peddled by Madrid and makes zero sense on any scale.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...s-record-revenue-of-685-million/#4ab97b617102

the segment that includes retail, merchandising, apparel and product licensing generated $129 million, an increase of 208% from the prior year.
Granted most of it is Adidas money it's no small part of our revenue stream.
ROI and brand strengthening is not something to be scoffed at with the kind of wages we pay.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

The Real Treble 99

Even before the Final i said in the Bale thread that we should sign him, Only if the fee wasn’t a astronomical amount. The bad thing now is every man & his dog will want Bale at their club. A clear come & get me plea if your going to play me every week from his press conference. I love players like him who just run with the ball & he would be the perfect fit in our static midfield.
Fantastic player.

Diabhal

Bale is a top player and would bring much-needed power, pace, and goals down our right wing. If the transfer fee is not too high and the club feel they can afford the wages, he would be a good signing.

He doesn't have many options outside of Madrid. Between United, Chelsea, City & PSG.

I like that he still has the drive to play games every week. He has a nice cushy contract at Madrid until 2022. After winning 4 Champions leagues, he could effectively take it easy and enjoy his life in Spain.

In six season at Madrid, Bale has played an average of 30 games per season with an avg of 15 goals.

Pros
  • He has scored 16 goals in 20(6) Games this season in La Liga
  • Knows the premier league
  • Still athletic - fast pace, strong and a good eye for crosses/goals
  • The club will make money from marketing him
  • Shows up in big games

Cons
  • He'll be 29 next season
  • The transfer fee will be high
  • He earns £350,000 a week after tax
  • Injury Prone
  • Misses half the season

Reactions: Penna

slir32

Does the club make the money from the player name printing? Club would make a bit of money but no where near paying the players transfer fee.

Mercurial

None of that has anything to do with the nonsense idea of shirt sales recouping transfer fees, which has never happened and never will.
Adidas seem to think so and pay us big money to feature their clothing on top stars in top competitions. The two Spanish Giants are on to this important side of revenue and are gaining fast every year copying the big American clubs business model. I'm pretty sure pro athletes feature Nivea face lotion because of the the nice smell and lush texture and the altruism in their blessed hearts.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Adidas seem to think so and pay us big money to feature their clothing on top stars in top competitions. The two Spanish Giants are on to this important side of revenue and are gaining fast every year copying the big American clubs business model. I'm pretty sure pro athletes feature Nivea face lotion because of the the nice smell and lush texture and the altruism in their blessed hearts.
What on earth are you on about?

Go look at numbers of shirts sold year to year and come back when you realise that big signings don't cause much, if any, fluctuation in those numbers.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Does the club make the money from the player name printing? Club would make a bit of money but no where near paying the players transfer fee.
The clubs make a lot of money from shirt deals. These shirt deals take into account what players are at the club.

Mercurial

We get a huge bulk payment from the manufacturer based on a few parameters main being how well we do and a big portion of the deal was to qualify for the CL.

Mercurial

What on earth are you on about?

Go look at numbers of shirts sold year to year and come back when you realise that big signings don't cause much, if any, fluctuation in those numbers.
Drop the tough guy act and conjure up numbers.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
————-De Gea (c)
Sidibe-Bailly-Alderweireld-Sandro
—————-Matic
——-Fred————SMS
Bale———————Sánchez
—————Lukaku

Sessegnon
Mandzukic

Sell Pogba and martial

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Drop the tough guy act and conjure up numbers.
They are the same, basically there is a pool of shirts that are sold every year and new signings take numbers from players that are already within the club or that have left the club. The only way to recoup money from a signing is by being good on the field, earn prize money and increase the visibility of the club, the last point is very minor for United or Real Madrid because they are already extremely visible.