Let’s sign Gareth Bale

RedStarUnited

Rather have Willian. Has some United fan not learn anything from the Sanchez signing? We need a player who doesn’t play mainly for money but for love and passion for the game.
Bales on very very good money at Madrid. If he leaves there, its because he actually wants to play week in week out, not just because of money.

I honestly think Zidane/Madrid want to sell him and today was the first time Bale himself thought yeah maybe I should go. He can leave on a high and with his head up.

extincti fugax hominum

Rather have Willian. Has some United fan not learn anything from the Sanchez signing? We need a player who doesn’t play mainly for money but for love and passion for the game.
Ohh come on now. How Bale plays mainly for money when the guy won them Champions League trophy with his goals in his first season (2014 against Atletico) and this season against Liverpool. I know it's not very much realistic at this point in time but just imagine a front 4 like this :drool: :

--------------------------Lukaku-----------------------

Martial------------------Sanchez------------------Bale
Everyone is happy and use Rashford and Lingard (and Mata if he stays) in rotation. No need to sell anyone and a fit & firing on all cylinders front 4 like this would put a lot of teams to sword imo. Great talent, physicality, power, pace, skill, match-winning quality etc. Just don't fight the feeling :drool: You know you want that too.

maniwin

His quality was never in doubt , it's his fitness level which is the issue.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
My thoughts from a couple weeks ago.

Today’s performance only reinforces these thoughts but I suspect it’ll come at a higher cost too now with the price naturally spiking up. Guessing the £60m range now give or take.

I’ve changed my stance on this. From a very strong no to yes if he’s available.

...I’ve said for over a year how I wouldn’t at all want him at United but things change. Seeing how United are in a must win mode now needing to compete/win the league and how atrocious our RW is + how little options there are to sign out there at RW, I’d take Bale IF he costs no more than £50m.

Most of my stance against him was due to there being DDG speculation going the other way in a swap for Bale and we know that won’t be happening this summer as De Gea is staying another year for sure. Also because RM would jack the price up like they always do for us and seeing how another year has gone by with Bale not really integrated/phased out at Madrid, his price tag has dropped with teams clearly knowing Madrid can’t keep him and thus aren’t in a position of power in negotiations.

Before I was against it at the assumption he’d cost £80m. Now that a year’s gone by, at £50m I’d definitely give it a go. Much more sensible not giving in to Madrid’s demands and honestly speaking, Bale not having to play so often must have been a positive for him health wise knowing that he’s been able to take care of his body having played less after the toll he’s taken over the years playing at full speed the way he did. He’s still a game breaking talent and there’s not many in the world. The way I see it, the way this season went for him being able to sit back and get his health settled out and the options out there at RW, Bale @ £50m > a Mahrez or a Willian @ £40m. No questions asked. The difference in quality is night and day and yes I’m aware of his injury history but believe this year not playing nearly as much will do wonders for him long term. It’s also why we’d get him for so cheap because there’s that risk-reward factor to it which I’m open to taking.

...seeing how passionless some of our players played throughout the year, you just know Bale would set the tone. When he’s on he’s on and he doesn’t let down one bit. He has more passion than what Lukaku showed this season and having a few guys like that including De Gea who the rest of the guys can look up to would only build that never quit, never die attitude. This is another huge reason why I’m for him. Not just his talents and the price tag going down but him being able to change the culture for the better in the locker room. That’s an intangible you just can’t teach. And it’s very different if it’s a starting player with it instead of a bench player like Herrera (with all due respect). You’d generally like to be able to look up to that leader alongside you on the pitch to give you the motivation to keep going when things are down. Bale brings that and everything else.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Do people even remember the going rate of a 29 yr old Alexis Sanchez with 6 month left contract was 50M just back in January? 60M for bale? Take it or leave it? Seriously? 40M for Mahrez? Really?

Bwuk

Willian is half the player Bale is and anyone saying otherwise is wrong.

If we could get Bale and Keep him fit he’s either the best or one of the best in the league.

snk123

Imagine the Liverpool fans seeing him in a Utd shirt next season :lol:

Woziak

If he's fit and physically he looks a beast again, 21 goals this season easily worth 75M, simply because at his best and when on the pitch he's a top 5 player in World Football as he proved in yesterday's champions league final.

We have lacked any penetration or creativity from the right flank for half a decade, Bale solves that problem overnight. Does Bailey, D Costa, Willian, Dembele or T Le Mar all options have 4 Champions League Winners medals, scoring 3 goals in those 4 finals ?

Cheekiey

I'd be down to swap him for Martial, If Madrid insisted on a player. We value Martial at what? £60m-£70m, Real would want £80m for bale.
Martial plus £20m for Bale? thats if they are even interested in Martial.

I feel like im flogging Martial just so Bale would get Giggsys 11 shirt, no way in hell is Martial allowing us to swap his shirt no. again

AP88

Supports
Man City
buy him - his finishing is exceptional, his pace and power still destructive; his treatment this year suggests he’s overstayed his welcome there, and he’s been punished as a result, often benched for Isco, Lucas or Asensio.

He’s got the attributes to play as a 9 as he ages too - signing him and Alderweireld elevates this team to another level, once upon which the club can get a lot closer to City next season.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Words can't describe the absolute dross on this forum sometimes. Maybe after a long day, OP, you should take a rest..

No offense, but,.....

Ekeke

So you think we can spend whatever Chelsea ask for to sign Willian, because he'll sign for 10k a year?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I'd fear the club signing Bale and he ends up the next Hargreaves glass guinea pig experiment.

But he did manage to make 39 total appearances this season, up from 21 the prior year and 31 the year before that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Bale is on £350k a year after tax. He would have to renegotiate if he wants to come here.

Patrick08

Let's not fall for that again shall we. Just like Di maria situation he was in shop window playing in that final as clearly they want to get rid of him and recoup all the money they can. His statements after the final prove that. It's a trap as per my view.

He is no Robben who depends on his dribbling skills, Bale is a speed merchant and without full fitness I doubt he can prolong his career on top level like Robben, and we should not be looking to pour ridiculous sums of money in Madrid's and Bale's pockets with his injury records as it won't improve much , its a very high risk high reward situation but if his injury records don't improve which I personally don't think will, we will be having another Rooney type situation with his massive wages , consistent injury problems and deteriorating fitness levels. We have already spunked big wages on Sanchez who we expect to get the best out of next season and have some very talented youngsters who needs more regular game time to develop and his addition will further reduce the chances for our talented young players to play. It's wise to use the money on longer future prospects like Sennegnesson or players like Dybala if we are to spend big bucks on attacking players.

I saw a lot of posters comparing him to Willian situation , and there is no doubts that Bale on full fitness is twice the player Willian is, but let's not get ahead of ourselves on both the players just yet. Bale will cost massive fee and wages as dealing with Perez is not very ideal specially after De gea and Morata situation, and Willian deal is also not yet confirmed as I am doubtful that there won't be any resistance from Chelsea to sell him again to us after Matic's sale which raised many questions from all Chelsea fanbase, so who knows it could be a different player altogether.

Though it would be wise to play a waiting game on Bale, just like James Rodriguez situation, if he fails to find any suitors matching his ambition and Madrid come up with a Loan deal with an option to buy on the cheap than there will be very less risk in that type of deal which could benefit all parties then its sane to get interested in such a Deal for Bale although still only on reduced wages.

Last edited:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Ohh come on now. How Bale plays mainly for money when the guy won them Champions League trophy with his goals in his first season (2014 against Atletico) and this season against Liverpool. I know it's not very much realistic at this point in time but just imagine a front 4 like this :drool: :

--------------------------Lukaku-----------------------

Martial------------------Sanchez------------------Bale
Everyone is happy and use Rashford and Lingard (and Mata if he stays) in rotation. No need to sell anyone and a fit & firing on all cylinders front 4 like this would put a lot of teams to sword imo. Great talent, physicality, power, pace, skill, match-winning quality etc. Just don't fight the feeling :drool: You know you want that too.
So you think we can spend whatever Chelsea ask for to sign Willian, because he'll sign for 10k a year?
Bales on very very good money at Madrid. If he leaves there, its because he actually wants to play week in week out, not just because of money.

I honestly think Zidane/Madrid want to sell him and today was the first time Bale himself thought yeah maybe I should go. He can leave on a high and with his head up.
I was being metaphorical about the money part. From what I analyzed based on last season performance, United need more hard workers and technical gifted footballer that helps balance out the team rather than a luxury signings whose wages matches a developing country GDP and will not be bothered if things are not going well for the team.

I was right towards the Fred signing and I m quite sure Mourinho will look at a player similar to Willian who is creative, agile, and a team player. I am not sure that a team with Bale, Sanchez and Pogba in it together will gel because there egos might clash on the pitch.

Ekeke

I was being metaphorical about the money part. From what I analyzed based on last season performance, United need more hard workers and technical gifted footballer that helps balance out the team rather than a luxury signings whose wages matches a developing country GDP and will not be bothered if things are not going well for the team.

I was right towards the Fred signing and I m quite sure Mourinho will look at a player similar to Willian who is creative, agile, and a team player. I am not sure that a team with Bale, Sanchez and Pogba in it together will gel because there egos might clash on the pitch.
How do you know about the egos of Sanchez and Bale? Have you even met them?

Pogba okay, he can come across that way perhaps.

You can say what you like but we lacked goals this season and Willian isnt a man to change that. Even if he's playing for free.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Let's buy him, Real gets more cash to buy a new shiny toy (Salah), and free up some money for wages.
Liverpool gets weaker, we get stronger. Win-Win for United :D

RedDington9

I see a Universe and Future where Manchester United sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale this summer, Mourinho promising them both undoubted presence in the Starting XI, with a plan for a return to the summit of European football.

Importantly, they are of the few clubs that can afford it, whilst offering benefits others (the few that that can afford it) may not.

For Cristiano, he can return to cement his Legend status at the club he undoubtedly ENJOYED playing at the most.
Ronaldo was never booed by Manchester United fans. Ronaldo was never investigated for tax issues in England.
He's been open about these sentiments and there is real no other club aside from Manchester United that can afford it, while offering actual high-level competitive football week in and week out aka Not PSG. I can't see Ronaldo ever considering Ligue 1 as an option. He values level of competition, as seen in his loving relationship with the Champions League, the highest level of difficulty in football. He mentioned it today, 'the best competition'.

And Manchester United is playing in the Champions League next season, and seem relatively safe as far as guaranteeing Top 4 presence, aka CL Football, on a consistent basis. That is key, as this is the competition he (and everyone else) care about the most. EPL Champions and defeating Man City isn't priority, it's being in the CL.

Plus, Mourinho. Him and Ronaldo have patched things up and this idea must be on the mind of Jorge Mendes.
Mourinho has previously stated, through experience but also because it is obvious, the importance of having a superstar in your team.
A superstar that make teammates better. Those are rare, and Ronaldo, even at 33, is as rare as they come.

And for a Manchester United that currently lacks a real superstar, an aging Ronaldo is a good initial signaling point, IMO, for a 'new era' that marks Manchester United's return to where they should rightfully be given their historical and (especially) financial pedigree, competing with the Best to be Champions of Europe.

For Bale, he seems to definitely be on the move given what he said and Zidane's response to it today. Zizou basically responded to both Bale and Ronaldo's comments today with, "Do what you gotta do man. Do you bro" and "Plz don't go :/", respectively.

He's not guaranteed what he wants, weekly starting football, so he's leaving. Only place he'd go is back to the EPL. It's where he's obviously comfortable, and where he can get what he wants and make more money, in again, and most importantly, weekly competitive league football of the highest level.

An attack consisting of Alex Sanchez, Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale would compete for next year's Champions League as the ONLY real dominant force in the competition, Real Madrid, would no longer exist.

Closest second is Bayern, they could have won the competition this year but they'll be rebuilding as well moving forward. Lewandowski wants out and the Ribery/Robben show is closing its curtains.

Barcelona have been too poor in recent seasons in the competition, I don't see that really changing to a really significant degree given the reasons for these early exits.

I've seen crazier things in football. Would be interesting :D

yo@Kirk

Bale has averaged 2227 minutes per season over the last 3 seasons after averaging 3752 minutes per season for the previous 3 seasons. He's on 600k/week wages until June 2022. That's roughly 125m in wages plus an 80m transfer fee for his services until June 2022.

For the same wages and double the transfer fee, United could add four 21-26 year old players on 150k/week wages to the first team until June 2022. Buying declining players and their 600k/week contracts that run until June 2022 is not squad building, imo.

Schneckerl

There is a reason he isn't a regular starter for Madrid. Happened to score against Barca and had the game of his life in the CL final, but he regularly has disappearing performances where he is complete useless more than anyone on that team.

Patrick08

I see a Universe and Future where Manchester United sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale this summer, Mourinho promising them both undoubted presence in the Starting XI, with a plan for a return to the summit of European football.

Importantly, they are of the few clubs that can afford it, whilst offering benefits others (the few that that can afford it) may not.

For Cristiano, he can return to cement his Legend status at the club he undoubtedly ENJOYED playing at the most.
Ronaldo was never booed by Manchester United fans. Ronaldo was never investigated for tax issues in England.
He's been open about these sentiments and there is real no other club aside from Manchester United that can afford it, while offering actual high-level competitive football week in and week out aka Not PSG. I can't see Ronaldo ever considering Ligue 1 as an option. He values level of competition, as seen in his loving relationship with the Champions League, the highest level of difficulty in football. He mentioned it today, 'the best competition'.

And Manchester United is playing in the Champions League next season, and seem relatively safe as far as guaranteeing Top 4 presence, aka CL Football, on a consistent basis. That is key, as this is the competition he (and everyone else) care about the most. EPL Champions and defeating Man City isn't priority, it's being in the CL.

Plus, Mourinho. Him and Ronaldo have patched things up and this idea must be on the mind of Jorge Mendes.
Mourinho has previously stated, through experience but also because it is obvious, the importance of having a superstar in your team.
A superstar that make teammates better. Those are rare, and Ronaldo, even at 33, is as rare as they come.

And for a Manchester United that currently lacks a real superstar, an aging Ronaldo is a good initial signaling point, IMO, for a 'new era' that marks Manchester United's return to where they should rightfully be given their historical and (especially) financial pedigree, competing with the Best to be Champions of Europe.

For Bale, he seems to definitely be on the move given what he said and Zidane's response to it today. Zizou basically responded to both Bale and Ronaldo's comments today with, "Do what you gotta do man. Do you bro" and "Plz don't go :/", respectively.

He's not guaranteed what he wants, weekly starting football, so he's leaving. Only place he'd go is back to the EPL. It's where he's obviously comfortable, and where he can get what he wants and make more money, in again, and most importantly, weekly competitive league football of the highest level.

An attack consisting of Alex Sanchez, Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale would compete for next year's Champions League as the ONLY real dominant force in the competition, Real Madrid, would no longer exist.

Closest second is Bayern, they could have won the competition this year but they'll be rebuilding as well moving forward. Lewandowski wants out and the Ribery/Robben show is closing its curtains.

Barcelona have been too poor in recent seasons in the competition, I don't see that really changing to a really significant degree given the reasons for these early exits.

I've seen crazier things in football. Would be interesting :D
That's David Moyes territory.:D

Mercurial

Only an oil sheik afflicted with desert dementia and sand blindness in both eyes would pay that kind of money. He's a 29 year old winger, seriously reliant on pace, with a terrible injury record, who'll demand astronomical wages. Half of 80m would be a big risk.
Shirt sale worldwide would recover much of that.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
Bought a huge house near Spurs training ground a matter of months ago.

Fact.