Let The Right One In (contains spoilers in white)

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Låt den rätte komma in

Oscar, an overlooked and bullied boy, finds love and revenge through Eli, a beautiful but peculiar young girl who moves in next door with a mysterious father-like figure​

Plot Spoiler In White Below
Oskar is a meek 12-year-old boy living in the Stockholm suburb of Blackeberg in the early 1980s. He is regularly bullied by his classmates, and spends his evenings imagining revenge, rehearsing knife attacks near the apartment complex where he lives with his mother. One night, he meets Eli, who appears to be a pale, androgynous girl his own age. Eli has recently moved in next door to Oskar with an older man, Håkan. Eli offers friendship to Oskar, but he initially declines any friendship with her.However, over time, they begin to share their lonely existence together, playing and exchanging Morse code messages through their apartment wall. Eli eventually learns of Oskar's victimization at school, and encourages him to stand up for himself. This emboldens Oskar to later stand up to his tormentors during a field trip, where Oskar strikes Conny, his main antagonist, in the ear with a pole, opening a gash on his head.

Meanwhile, Håkan has been stalking and killing local residents in order to drain and collect their blood to provide sustenance for Eli, but repeatedly runs into obstacles. When his last attempt fails, and he is about to be discovered, he disfigures himself by pouring acid on his face, preventing the authorities from identifying him. Eli finds where Håkan is being held in the local hospital and climbs up to his window sill. He opens the window, offering his neck for Eli to feed, and then falls out of the window to his death.

Now alone, Eli agrees to "go steady" with Oskar, who eventually suggests that they form a blood bond, and cuts his hand for this purpose, entreating Eli to do the same. This provokes the blood-thirsting Eli to savagely lap up Oskar's spilt blood from the floor, restraining herself long enough to beg him to leave. Soon after, Eli attacks Virginia (Ginia), a local woman, but is interrupted by her boyfriend, Lacke, whose best friend Jocke was killed by Eli a few days earlier.

Virginia survives the attack, but having been bitten, soon grows painfully sensitive to sunlight and develops a terrible aversion to cats, which also become hostile to her. Hospitalized after being mauled by cats, Virginia realizes that she has become a vampire and decides she cannot cope with it. In the hospital, she asks a nurse to open the blinds in her room. Sunlight streams in, causing her to burst into flames. Lacke, having lost everything because of Eli, pieces together clues Eli and Håkan have left, leading him to Eli's apartment where he finds her sleeping in the bathtub and prepares to kill her. Oskar, who had been hiding in the apartment, distracts him before he can strike, alerting Eli, who wakes up and kills Lacke. She tells Oskar that she needs to go away, but not before they share their first passionate kiss.

Later that evening, Oskar is lured out by Conny's friend Martin to resume an after-school fitness program at the school's swimming pool. Conny, with his older brother, Jimmy, and a reluctant third accomplice, have set a fire as a diversion to draw Mr. Ávila, the teacher in charge, outside. Trapped alone in the pool, Oskar is forced to agree to Jimmy's ultimatum — to hold his breath underwater for three minutes or be stabbed in the eye with a switchblade. Oskar is held underwater by Jimmy's arm. A commotion muffled by the water takes place above the surface. Feet skim across the waterline and Jimmy's severed head drops into the other end of the pool, then his arm is severed as well. Someone pulls the hypoxic Oskar out of the water and he smiles broadly as he looks upon Eli's blood-spattered face. A cut from Eli's face shows three dismembered bodies around the pool and a reluctant bully sobbing to one side, but Oskar and Eli are not there.

The film dissolves to black and holds this emptiness for some time, it is the only moment in the film when a fade or a black screen are shown. When it returns, Oskar is traveling on a train; a large trunk sits next to him, and inside, an unseen Eli taps the word "kiss" to Oskar in Morse code. Oskar taps back the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_the_Right_One_In_(film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

Great film, totally unexpected but really enjoyed it. If you go and see one foreign film this year, make it this one - it's approximately 1000 times better than any other similar film out at the minute (e.g. Twilight). Currently on cinematic release at selected cinemas, specifically the Cornerhouse in Manchester amongst others. Well worth a watch​

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
It's great but not everyone's cup of tea. Pacing is slow. Blond boy - annoying. Swedish language - not the most pleasant on the ears.

I'm kidding, Swedish is like angels singing*

*not really

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
It's great but not everyone's cup of tea. Pacing is slow. Blond boy - annoying. Swedish language - not the most pleasant on the ears.

I'm kidding, Swedish is like angels singing*

*not really
Personally, I think the Swedish adds to the ethereal qualities of the film and its cinematography. Couldn't imagine watching it dubbed into English.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Meh I didn't really enjoy it to be honest. It was alright, but meh.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Personally, I think the Swedish adds to the ethereal qualities of the film and its cinematography. Couldn't imagine watching it dubbed into English.
I'm not saying it should've been dubbed. It's after all a Swedish film.
Really don't know what I wanted to say. Might've just insulted swedish language for which I'm sorry.

not really sorry

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I enjoyed it but I think some of the complexity of the novel (not that I've read it) might have made it better still.

ffurby

AKA Bruff, hunted by the cops, not wanted by schoo
Only member (to my knowledge) to have their comput
I read the book first, and I have to say they left a lot of stuff out.

To be fair, they got the 'heart' of the story across pretty well, but they left out a good few characters, especially one who was by far the scariest and wierdest thing in the book.

There's also one scene, which if you haven't read the book, makes no sense whatsoever, and is actually quite disturbing.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I read the book first, and I have to say they left a lot of stuff out.

To be fair, they got the 'heart' of the story across pretty well, but they left out a good few characters, especially one who was by far the scariest and wierdest thing in the book.

There's also one scene, which if you haven't read the book, makes no sense whatsoever, and is actually quite disturbing.
I guessed what it mean because there was a previous comment that possibly hinted at it. Apparently there was a bit of a paedo feel to the realtionship between the girl and her minder which would have been interesting if controversial.

Scoreboard Red

I've not seen the original Swedish film, but have seen Let Me In the American version and I was mightily impressed with that; the acting from the children was immense.
Despite it's undertones, there is something very endearing to the characters.
I have read the novel's plot on Wiki and it does seem to have a very complex and dark story to it which isn't really even suggested in the American version.
If you've not seen Let Me In, then do as it's a belter although if you've seen the original Swede, it might not appeal to you as much probably...

Scoreboard Red

I guessed what it mean because there was a previous comment that possibly hinted at it. Apparently there was a bit of a paedo feel to the realtionship between the girl and her minder which would have been interesting if controversial.
In the American fillum, the female character keeps telling the lad she's not a girl and from the novel's plot, there is suggestion she is in fact a lad castrated a few centuries before.
*Shudders*

Legend16

loved the original. just finished the book too. feck me thats creepy. more than the movie

Devils Advocate

That bit in White, Scoreboard, is (I presume) touchedon very, very briefly in the Swedish version. There's about a 2 second flash, if that, of that area on her and it looks like a scar. Might have to check the book out.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I've seen both and the American version is very close to the Swedish.

Have to say I thought it was ok, not fantastic or out of this world.

Lynott

One of my favourite movies of all time. I thought it was a beautiful story. Disgusted at the totally unnecessary remake.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
That bit in White, Scoreboard, is (I presume) touchedon very, very briefly in the Swedish version. There's about a 2 second flash, if that, of that area on her and it looks like a scar. Might have to check the book out.
It's more than just a suggestion in the book Johnno, there's a fecking gruesome scene where Eli's led into a medieval banqueting hall and tied down to a table with his genitals hanging through a hole below which deals with how he was turned into a vampire and why he now passes himself off as a lass.

Wibbs is right about the paedophilia undertones with Eli and her first minder too with the book delving much deeper into his background as well, much of which would have been unfilmable if they ever wanted it released.

An excellent book, still to see either the Swedish or the American film out here in Singapore yet

Scoreboard Red

It's more than just a suggestion in the book Johnno, there's a fecking gruesome scene where Eli's led into a medieval banqueting hall and tied down to a table with his genitals hanging through a hole below which deals with how he was turned into a vampire and why he now passes himself off as a lass.

Wibbs is right about the paedophilia undertones with Eli and her first minder too with the book delving much deeper into his background as well, much of which would have been unfilmable if they ever wanted it released.

An excellent book, still to see either the Swedish or the American film out here in Singapore yet
F'kin hell...not seen the original but I should.
Thing is I've seen the American so I won't be surprised at the narrative.