Let's all Laugh at England

fergosaurus

Seemed that with Croatia panic set in, first time during the tournament and after Croatia scored we stopped trying to build up from the back and keep possession to draw a team on we started hoofing. Southgate maybe didn't set this right during half-time. We were definitely playing a team that wouldn't let us settle.
Agreed, with the final is in touching distance the players losing composure is understandable. The whole experience and finally winning a penalty shootout should stand you in good stead for future tournaments.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It was tongue-in-cheek but in all honesty they were tactically naive and found out when they played quality teams. They got fortunate that the usual big hitters didn't perform otherwise they would have likely gone home early like they always do and the media and fans would have been on their backs. The easy run has somewhat papered over the cracks.

I was frustrated for them because Croatia were there for the taking but Southgate had no answer when they took control of the game and started dominating the midfield. Persisting with Alli and Lingard in midfield against Modric, Rakatic and Brozovic was laughable.
Yeah I agree, especially regarding the midfield battle. I thought Southgate waited way too long to change things.

3pwood

The level of this thread made me think I was on Twitter :lol:
it's not different even though we're on a forum of an English (!!) football club, it's fascinating. I'll never understand the butthurt because of a song and what pundits (who have 0, nada, no impact with what's going on the pitch) are saying. Saying ffs, their OPINIONS!!

the worst part is that Croatia became everyone’s little favourite even tough they have appalling problems with hooligans, racism, swastikas being mowed onto pitches (they'll play England behind closed doors soon) and etc but yeah, their victory was like a free pass for everyone to hate on the English who were just enjoying the whole thing :lol:

Classical Mechanic

The level of this thread made me think I was on Twitter :lol:
it's not different even though we're on a forum of an English (!!) football club, it's fascinating. I'll never understand the butthurt because of a song and what pundits (who have 0, nada, no impact with what's going on the pitch) are saying. Saying ffs, their OPINIONS!!

the worst part is that Croatia became everyone’s little favourite even tough they have appalling problems with hooligans, racism, swastikas being mowed onto pitches (they'll play England behind closed doors soon) and etc but yeah, their victory was like a free pass for everyone to hate on the English who were just enjoying the whole thing :lol:
A number on here are just making excuses for their anti England bigotry. Happy to support Croatia despite them having a UEFA stadium ban for racists chants and playing a match with a swastika on the pitch. Happy to support Croatia despite the arrogance of their players and media. Outraged at a group of England fans jumping on some beds in IKEA but when a Croatian poster posts a video of Croatian fans singing songs celebrating genocides in countries they don’t like. Not a peep.

Riots, looting and a couple of deaths in France’s celebrations after winning the trophy. Where’s the outrage?

kevin hunt

A number on here are just making excuses for their anti England bigotry. Happy to support Croatia despite them having a UEFA stadium ban for racists chants and playing a match with a swastika on the pitch. Happy to support Croatia despite the arrogance of their players and media. Outraged at a group of England fans jumping on some beds in IKEA but when a Croatian poster posts a video of Croatian fans singing songs celebrating genocides in countries they don’t like. Not a peep.

Riots, looting and a couple of deaths in France’s celebrations after winning the trophy. Where’s the outrage?
It really is rich to see English fans talking about other countries genocides, what do you think you were up to for centuries ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The Croats didn’t rape or pillage their way through the majority of the countries of the world, leaving emotional scars generations after they were finally fecked off home.

/English bewilderment as to why they’re not as popular worldwide as they originally thought

Buchan

For what it’s worth, I’ve lived in England for ~4 years and I love the people and their country. However, I can also see why many still hold some animosity towards them after the atrocities they committed over the centuries. Now, in the most peaceful time in civilisation, the biggest victory and most schadenfreude these people can enjoy is seeing the ‘arrogant English’ beaten in a sporting competition. It really is as simple as that.

Righteous Steps

The Croats didn’t rape or pillage their way through the majority of the countries of the world, leaving emotional scars generations after they were finally fecked off home.

/English bewilderment as to why they’re not as popular worldwide as they originally thought
But France Portugal and Spain did.

Classical Mechanic

Everyone thinks their prejudices are the right ones.

Buchan

But France Portugal and Spain did.
Absolutely. Hence why I omitted the paragraph related to France in @Classical Mechanic ’s post. However, people of the British Isles and Ireland don’t really have a history with the French (the French regularly fought with Ireland etc. in their wars with the English actually) so that animosity isn’t there.

Do former French, Spanish and Portuguese colonies express a love for said countries today, or is there a sense of rivalry/animosity today over their wars?

Classical Mechanic

I’m not bewildered in the slightest. I know fully well how many feel about England.

The way that English pundits and fans behaved was not exceptional in anyway. There are pockets of bad behaviour and hubris but that is the same as in most countries. What is beyond the pale, in my opinion, is the smear campaign some Home Nation fans run against the England team and fans. Gleefully propagating reports of any bad behaviour as far and wide as they can and even propagating fakes news about England fans, trying to attribute videos of bad behaviour by other fans to England fans. The absence of concern over much worse behaviour by other countries fans serves to highlight the toxic nature of it.

Personally I hope that the FA become proactive in trying to stop the awful IRA related chants some England fans feel the need to sing.

fellaini's barber

English guys are still bitter? Its been like a week ffs. Remember last tournament when you lost to fecking Iceland and we were all laughing at you guys together, where was all this bitterness? I guess its because back then we were all in agreement that you guys where shit, there was not much singing and hashtags either. Fast forward this tournament you guys betrayed us because because you had beaten a few shite teams and started singing alone. Then Croatia came along and now you feel betrayed and surprised that we're still laughing. Cheer up lads, I'm sure if you won it we would have been rejoicing with you too

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not really sure what this has to do with anything. What does the British Empire have to do with talking about bad behaviour by Croatia fans?
Because we, the citizens of the great British Empire, are to be held accountable for our nations past transgressions. Guilty by association or something along those lines. Oh, and we're all bitter twats.

The moment you bring political agenda into a discussion based primarily on football, or sport in general, said discussion will not end well.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Ah yes. Knew it wouldn’t be long before someone raised the irrelevant point of Britain’s colonial past. Now we’re at the crux of the matter. Let it go ffs. England lost, have a chuckle and move on. If you want to talk about how England is responsible for everything that’s wrong in the world start another thread.

Nr.7

It’s just a song?
For example, Robbie from AFTV walking around Moscow telling croatia fans “it’s coming home” was what?

Beckham posted a clip of him saying “it’s coming home”, Jesse Lingard posted something similar on Twitter.

Why didn’t they sang it than? I mean, that’s what fans do with songs you know, we sing them.

We’ve seen tons of stuff like that before England got knocked out of the WC and it was all great excitement, banter, we dare to dream stuff, which did came a bit across as arrogant at the time, but now it was just a song.

Frankly, whatever that was it was the most annoying WC thing since 2010 South Africas vuvuzele.

3pwood

People are really using history to justify their opinions about the current England now? :lol:

Just like someone said, Spain and Portugal did atrocious things to other human beings for centuries in the Americas, yet people don't mind now.

The whole thing can be summarized in 2 words: Confirmation Bias

The Guardian with an article about how It's Coming Home came back home to bite the English:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...anthem-returns-to-haunt-them?CMP=share_btn_tw

Look at the state of the whole thing! A bloody SONG is the scapegoat now:lol:

England fans can't support, can't sing, can't dream, can't believe in their team because it hurts other people feelings! Generation snowflake!

But the others can do whatever the hell they want!

Seriously, the love for Croatia all over the world made me sick.

vangagal

People are really using history to justify their opinions about the current England now? :lol:

Just like someone said, Spain and Portugal did atrocious things to other human beings for centuries in the Americas, yet people don't mind now.

The whole thing can be summarized in 2 words: Confirmation Bias

Look at the state of the whole thing! A bloody SONG is the scapegoat now:lol:

England fans can't support, can't sing, can't dream, can't believe in their team because it hurts other people feelings! Generation snowflake!

But the others can do whatever the hell they want!

Seriously, the love for Croatia all over the world made me sick.
Yada yada snowflake