Let's all laugh at England

fergies coat

Well of course, I'd expect nothing less on here.
Im all for a bit of banter but it goes beyond that on here. Pure hatred based on nothing more than events that happened hundreds of years ago and because the press get a bit carried away which I'm sure they do in most countries.
Probably why I don't like Italy. Bloody Romans. What did they ever do for us!

TheReligion

Abusive
Well of course, I'd expect nothing less on here.
Im all for a bit of banter but it goes beyond that on here. Pure hatred based on nothing more than events that happened hundreds of years ago and because the press get a bit carried away which I'm sure they do in most countries.
Don’t you know you should live in eternal shame for what your ancestors did hundreds of years ago? How dare you say anything else on the matter! Oh and Brexit, and the time rowdy England fans trashed a French cafe in Paris 98. You hideous bastard!

Sorry. I’m being a hysterical drama queen again. How typically English.

On a serious note ignore the cretins. They stand out a mile. Anyone who wants to churn this shite out under the guise of ‘banter’ deserves zero respect. Most of the Caf does just want a laugh and it is good natured. Don’t let the minority sway you in to thinking otherwise.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Isn’t what a typical English thing to do?

So you don’t like the war being mentioned by the press yet you enjoy reading the tabloids and funding them when you can?

Very weird post.
‘funding them’ :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
‘funding them’ :lol:
It is true though right? I mean bizarre post. Imagine if a scouser said;

‘I fecking hate The Sun newspaper for what they did during Hillsborough and the lies they pedal. Me and the lads love to buy copies when we can and read what they write next and laugh to ourselves about it’

Threesus

Don’t you know you should live in eternal shame for what your ancestors did hundreds of years ago? How dare you say anything else on the matter! Oh and Brexit, and the time rowdy England fans trashed a French cafe in Paris 98. You hideous bastard!

Sorry. I’m being a hysterical drama queen again. How typically English.

On a serious note ignore the cretins. They stand out a mile. Anyone who wants to churn this shite out under the guise of ‘banter’ deserves zero respect. Most of the Caf does just want a laugh and it is good natured. Don’t let the minority sway you in to thinking otherwise.
I mean, the empire basically drained resources from most of the world to enrich itself and wreaked havoc upon the natives for centuries. My grandfather remembers time under British rule and doesn’t have a very rosy view of it. I imagine it must be similar for people from nations that were colonized by England.

So I can understand why there is much rejoicing when the English fail repeatedly at something, and especially in a sport they invented. And united has a global fan base as well.

ryansgirl

I thought England were going to squeeze past France and if Harry had nailed that penalty the chances of it happening were good. The lads can hold their heads high including Harry Mac regardless of his future with or without United.

However, I have to disagree with the notion being trumpeted in the media that the best team lost. Can`t agree because France still scored two goals without penalties and England only answered with one penalty and one missed penalty - sad for Harry Kane there, the stress affected his co-ordination, it happens and it doesn`t reflect on his class.

As for the post-match rants from players and the media about penalties and red cards not given - It`s part of the game. All players tend to propel themselves forward consciously or unconsciously if the opposition is on their heels to get a penalty and I didn`t see anything different in the game with France. As for the `red card` an English ref whose name I forget explained why it wasn`t. Watching the replay I saw moments where France could have had penalties - it`s the way football goes.

Yes, England made chances but they didn`t put them away. And the same old problem re-surfaced - no real playmaker in the team, an English weakness that has to be rectified if there will ever be a follow-up to 1966. I am sure the view of the ESPN writer Mark Ogden `England exit Quatar with same question as after Euro 2020 heartbreak: who is the orchestrator?` is not popular with some but what he wrote there puts the exit in a nutshell.

Sorry that I can`t link it but if you google it, you`ll find it.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
I mean, the empire basically drained resources from most of the world to enrich itself and wreaked havoc upon the natives for centuries. My grandfather remembers time under British rule and doesn’t have a very rosy view of it. I imagine it must be similar for people from nations that were colonized by England.

So I can understand why there is much rejoicing when the English fail repeatedly at something, and especially in a sport they invented. And united has a global fan base as well.
Oh yes of course. The issue is using that as an excuse to justify hatred towards people who had nothing to do with it.

There’s been Empires throughout the world for hundreds and thousands of years. There’s been atrocities committed everywhere.

Can you imagine posters going on the let’s all laugh at Germany thread and daring to talk about the Nazis and WW2? Using that as justification to hate all Germans including Kai Havertz?

fergies coat

Oh yes of course. The issue is using that as an excuse to justify hatred towards people who had nothing to do with it.

There’s been Empires throughout the world for hundreds and thousands of years. There’s been atrocities committed everywhere.

Can you imagine posters going on the let’s all laugh at Germany thread and daring to talk about the Nazis and WW2? Using that as justification to hate all Germans including Kai Havertz?
You would be banned and told that Nazi Germany is completely different from modern day Germany, bring up everything from England's past to spawn your hatred though and it's fair game.

Lyng

The difference is that all the others countries have accepted that it's in the past.

The press in the UK is like no other in Europe, it really isn't.
To be fair, it was a bit funny hearing a german, of all people, talk about superiority complex, when they have just unraveled a terrorgroup plotting to turn germany back to a country with an emperor.
On top of that the german press expect to win every tournament and everything else is a tragedy.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
It is true though right? I mean bizarre post. Imagine if a scouser said;

‘I fecking hate The Sun newspaper for what they did during Hillsborough and the lies they pedal. Me and the lads love to buy copies when we can and read what they write next and laugh to ourselves about it’
It’s a bit of light hearted chat from him dude, no need to read too much into it.

ryansgirl

I am not excusing colonisation by any powers - and as I have told Koreans when I lived in South Korea, they had the Japanese for about 45 years and kept their language and culture while the Irish had the English for hundreds of years and the Irish diaspora all around the world still cannot speak their ancestors` language. And are around the world because of English colonial policies. I have considerable Irish ancestry but also English, Scots, Welsh plus French, Dutch, Norwegian, Danish and a bit of Venetian as well as Syrian.

However, the actions of the Belgians, French, Dutch and Germans to name only four other western powers were also grim - for example, Belgian rule in the Congo is not known widely but the evil committed there is stomach churning and the colonial actions of the French in the more recent 20th century past should be more widely known by westerners.

By your logic, colonised peoples in the world should be against those countries when they participate in international competitions and it doesn`t seem there is that much of it. The Ottoman Empire also has a grim track record especially in Serbia but I don`t think there is any special opposition reserved for Turkey when it competes internationally.

TheReligion

Abusive
To be fair, it was a bit funny hearing a german, of all people, talk about superiority complex, when they have just unraveled a terrorgroup plotting to turn germany back to a country with an emperor.
On top of that the german press expect to win every tournament and everything else is a tragedy.
Not to mention some posters suggested they don’t like the English due to the Brexit vote… I mean what? :lol:

Europe is a hotbed of extreme right wing sentiment and has been for a number of years now. Look at France as another example.

Lyng

Oh I’m not that fussed but it isn’t light hearted at all.
I honestly do think B.Munich meant it in a lighthearted way. From other threads he always seems like a good fellow who likes a bit of banter, but nothing vile.
And he does have a point that english press tend to go all in on the war aspects whenever they face germany.
Which is about as dumb as people blaming the english team for brexit.
No need to mix in politics with banter, it just turns ugly.

Its pretty clear from these threads which people are having a laugh and which have a clear hatred. And teams like England and Germany get a lot of the latter.
For some reason there where a few who clearly had intense hate for us as well, which I guess I can understand. I mean our food is much better and we are more handsome. :D

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That was a bunch of lunatics that got prosecuted. Not politicians and press evoking nostalgic spirits.

Well.. when you're the second biggest team historically it's only natural to have high expectations. Though I'd say the expectation is a semi final and the title is more of a hope.

Lyng

Well.. when you're the second biggest team historically it's only natural to have high expectations. Though I'd say the expectation is a semi final and the title is more of a hope.
Surely when England have the best league in the world its only natural for them to have high expectations as well?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Surely when England have the best league in the world its only natural for them to have high expectations as well?
Do Salah and Haaland play for England? Is it a new development for England to have a top league - or did they work hard through 60 years of comedy and tragedy to prove that having a top league doesn't automatically make you a top team? Do the French in turn have to lower their expectation, because Ligue 1 isn't dominating Europe?

Lyng

Do Salah and Haaland play for England? Is it a new development for England to have a top league - or did they work hard through 60 years of comedy and tragedy to prove that having a top league doesn't automatically make you a top team? Do the French in turn have to lower their expectation, because Ligue 1 isn't dominating Europe?
No they dont, but Foden, Grealish, Saka, Rashford, Kane all do. And then you can add one of the best, if not the best, midfielder from the Bundesliga to that list.
Given that most of the english team play in the strongest league in the world and several of them for some of the best teams in the world surely they should be allowed to have higher expectations.
What has happened over the last 60 years is, quite frankly, useless to determine current strength.

No but they have a lot of their players in the Premier League and La Liga, the same goes for Portugal and Brazil. All countries that where amongst the favourites. All have a big part of their best players in the Premier League.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
No they dont, but Foden, Grealish, Saka, Rashford, Kane all do. And then you can add one of the best, if not the best, midfielder from the Bundesliga to that list.
Given that most of the english team play in the strongest league in the world and several of them for some of the best teams in the world surely they should be allowed to have higher expectations.
What has happened over the last 60 years is, quite frankly, useless to determine current strength.

No but they have a lot of their players in the Premier League and La Liga, the same goes for Portugal and Brazil. All countries that where amongst the favourites. All have a big part of their best players in the Premier League.
Except the behavior of English media isn't something new that can be tied to the actual quality that the current team may or may not have?

Looks like France are taking Morocco more seriously than England.

Last edited:

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Isn’t what a typical English thing to do?

So you don’t like the war being mentioned by the press yet you enjoy reading the tabloids and funding them when you can?

Very weird post.
I didn't say I don't like the war being mentioned. I was just stunned that the English yellow press and even some of the more update news paper were full of references to the war.
Don't get me wrong I wasn't really offended but rather flabbergasted and amused about what was going on the days before the match.
Just do a google search Euro 1996 England Germany and you will see all the front pages featuring England players in full military gear. It was more funny than anything else.
I enjoyed the crazy build up to the match and then the whining about losing on penalties.
Great entertainment your don't get from German press. Since then I'm looking forward to read your tabloids for any major tournament. It's a glorious boom and bust cycle, every tournament.
To be clear I don't hate the English at all, Brexit is a travesty for Europe, I just love your yellow press going totally nuts every big tournament.

TheReligion

Abusive
I didn't say I don't like the war being mentioned. I was just stunned that the English yellow press and even some of the more update news paper were full of references to the war.
Don't get me wrong I wasn't really offended but rather flabbergasted and amused about what was going on the days before the match.
Just do a google search Euro 1996 England Germany and you will see all the front pages featuring England players in full military gear. It was more funny than anything else.
I enjoyed the crazy build up to the match and then the whining about losing on penalties.
Great entertainment your don't get from German press. Since then I'm looking forward to read your tabloids for any major tournament. It's a glorious boom and bust cycle, every tournament.
To be clear I don't hate the English at all, Brexit is a travesty for Europe, I just love your yellow press going totally nuts every big tournament.
What’s the typical English thing to do?

Lyng

Except the behavior of English media isn't something new that can be tied to the actual quality that the current team may or may not have?

Looks like France are taking Morocoo more seriously than England.
Well the latter makes sense given what teams Morocco have beaten so far. With the way France play, I could see Morocco pull something special again.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That was the day i become anyone but England. I remember the front page was Gascoigne is a military helmet taking the piss at the German.

My parents went to London to study, and naturally they root for England, so was I. Even bought an England Jersey to go with.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
What’s the typical English thing to do?
One for example is to overhype the strength of your team, being it the yellow press or the pundits.
The buildup for the last 16 clash in Fontainebleau is nice example. Germany was totally overrated, a bunch a mediocre kids none of which would have made the English team. Unfortunately the BBC deleted these gems with Shearer, Hanson and Lineker from YouTube.

Living in Thailand I watch the match with many English and they were laughing at us few Germans when we told them we were actually quite optimistic about progressing. While the game developed you could see a lot of the English game actually believed the hype, expecting an easy victory and were totally stunned at the end of the match.

I'm not only laughing at the English. After Germany going out (deservedly) in the group stages, I only had one wish that Brazil doesn't get their 6 star. I would have cheered England in a final against them. I also got Argentina doesn't win, because I can't bear the media going crazy about Messi for weeks.

TheReligion

Abusive
One for example is to overhype the strength of your team, being it the yellow press or the pundits.
The buildup for the last 16 clash in Fontainebleau is nice example. Germany was totally overrated, a bunch a mediocre kids none of which would have made the English team. Unfortunately the BBC deleted these gems with Shearer, Hanson and Lineker from YouTube.

Living in Thailand I watch the match with many English and they were laughing at us few Germans when we told them we were actually quite optimistic about progressing. While the game developed you could see a lot of the English game actually believed the hype, expecting an easy victory and were totally stunned at the end of the match.

I'm not only laughing at the English. After Germany going out (deservedly) in the group stages, I only had one wish that Brazil doesn't get their 6 star. I would have cheered England in a final against them. I also got Argentina doesn't win, because I can't bear the media going crazy about Messi for weeks.
I think you pay far too much attention to the English media. More so than actual English people!

LoneStar

I think a big reason a lot of people dislike England in sports is because of the press and media in general. They come across very biased and hypocritical. Also they like to overhype their own players very much.

This is not a problem if their reach was within the country. But since a lot of countries broadcast in English, they have the same people commenting in these countries as well. Which is annoying. I certainly notice this in F1, where all the talk is about English drivers. It's not their problem per se, but maybe the organisers of these sports need to bring in different people for the global broadcast.

The players themselves seem decent this time. A lot of young players, and they certainly aren't aggressive like Argentina or other teams on the pitch.

Finally, no, I don't need to like England to support Manchester United. Same way I don't need to like England to love their beer. If you like curry, it doesn't mean you need to support India.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Not to mention some posters suggested they don’t like the English due to the Brexit vote… I mean what? :lol:

Europe is a hotbed of extreme right wing sentiment and has been for a number of years now. Look at France as another example.
The Tories are much further to the right than Le Pen - and she has realised for several years now that leaving the EU is an extremely moronic thing to do. Plus the right is not in power and neither France nor any other European nation are intending to leave the EU.

So the British or more so the English are seen as not very bright and brainwashed by the right wing tabloid press we mentioned earlier.

TheReligion

Abusive
The Tories are much further to the right than Le Pen - and she has realised for several years now that leaving the EU is an extremely moronic thing to do. Plus the right is not in power and neither France nor any other European nation are intending to leave the EU.

So the British or more so the English are seen as not very bright and brainwashed by the right wing tabloid press we mentioned earlier.
Again. Much further to the right in your opinion. I would suggest you are wrong.

To try and pretend these same issues don’t exist in France is not very bright either tbh.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think a big reason a lot of people dislike England in sports is because of the press and media in general. They come across very biased and hypocritical. Also they like to overhype their own players very much.

This is not a problem if their reach was within the country. But since a lot of countries broadcast in English, they have the same people commenting in these countries as well. Which is annoying. I certainly notice this in F1, where all the talk is about English drivers. It's not their problem per se, but maybe the organisers of these sports need to bring in different people for the global broadcast.

The players themselves seem decent this time. A lot of young players, and they certainly aren't aggressive like Argentina or other teams on the pitch.

Finally, no, I don't need to like England to support Manchester United. Same way I don't need to like England to love their beer. If you like curry, it doesn't mean you need to support India.
It's because in the UK you have a media that is very English focused and biased in almost everything. This leads to some resentment and irritation from all of us in NI, Wales and Scotland. Add in the history of England and the impact the country has had on these countries within the UK and add in the tribalism you get in sport, then it is no surprise how people feel.

shaky

England lost to one of the favourites and gave just as good as they got. It was also they’re only loss. These things happen in knockout tournaments. Totally different if they lost to a Saudi Arabia. Fact is they out performed many of the better nations but I don’t agree with Carraghers assessment.
They outperformed nobody. They won 75% of the games they were strong favourites to win and they lost the only time they weren't favourite to win. I can name a dozen teams at the WC that managed to get results they weren't expected to, but England certainly aren't one of them. If you meant they weren't quite as poor as some other teams, I'll give you that. Weird benchmark to use for success though.

Paul the Wolf

Again. Much further to the right in your opinion. I would suggest you are wrong.

To try and pretend these same issues don’t exist in France is not very bright either tbh.
There are right wing parties in every country. Difference is there's an extreme right wing party in power in the UK with a 70+ seat majority. And the only possible option to that is some clueless tosser who's going to do the impossible and "Make Brexit work".

I don't want to see England like that. Why can't they wake up and realise?

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
There are right wing parties in every country. Difference is there's an extreme right wing party in power in the UK with a 70+ seat majority. And the only possible option to that is some clueless tosser who's going to do the impossible and "Make Brexit work".

I don't want to see England like that. Why can't they wake up and realise?
To be honest, I think he's just playing politics. The UK isn't ready for hard truths, they were given hard truths and voted the other way.

I'm not sure whether it's more apt to think of the general voter as a child or as a **** member. With a child you have to sugarcoat things, with a **** member you have to slowly deprogram them. In any case, Starmer calling everyone a mug if they voted for Brexit and declaring that we need to rejoin post-haste won't win him an election.

Steffa Barnesa

And yet Morocco get away with it, getting lots of neutral support without anyone questioning the centuries long slave trade they were a part of that even, yes, stretched to Europe itself with Brits being victims.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And yet Morocco get away with it, getting lots of neutral support without anyone questioning the centuries long slave trade they were a part of that even, yes, stretched to Europe itself with Brits being victims.
Justice for Britain!

Paul the Wolf

To be honest, I think he's just playing politics. The UK isn't ready for hard truths, they were given hard truths and voted the other way.

I'm not sure whether it's more apt to think of the general voter as a child or as a **** member. With a child you have to sugarcoat things, with a **** member you have to slowly deprogram them. In any case, Starmer calling everyone a mug if they voted for Brexit and declaring that we need to rejoin post-haste won't win him an election.
He wants to get elected for sure, to have more lies in order to get elected is not a good thing either and won't end well.
The UK aren't rejoining the EU in the next couple of decades whatever happens but he needs to be clear on what he's going to do with the legislation still to come in over the next few years, end of grace periods etc. Have the impression that the UK public think that Brexit has been implemented and that's it. There's another five years to go before full Brexit is in place.

If I was in the Uk I certainly wouldn't vote for the Tories and certainly wouldn't vote for Starmer and because of the prehistoric way Uk politics is set up any other vote is a complete waste of time.

Zen86

They outperformed nobody. They won 75% of the games they were strong favourites to win and they lost the only time they weren't favourite to win. I can name a dozen teams at the WC that managed to get results they weren't expected to, but England certainly aren't one of them. If you meant they weren't quite as poor as some other teams, I'll give you that. Weird benchmark to use for success though.
Would you prefer it if we’d have been knocked out by Morocco like Spain or Portugal? Maybe knocked out by Croatia like Brazil? How about not progressing through the group stage altogether like Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Uruguay, etc, against much more unfavoured opposition? Getting knocked out by someone better isn’t as big a stick to beat the manager with as you seem to think.

lsd

The Oracle
After reading a lot of this thread, there seems to be more England fans are so salty posts, than actual posts by England fans being salty.

That's very salty same as every other salty post you have made in here about there not being any salty posts.

Surely the title of the thread would suggest you would be better off staying away if it bothers you so much.