LGBT issues in Football

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The biggest issue with gay footballers is that there are certainly 5 % of them and nobody is coming out because of the macho culture that comes along with the sport. It should change.
I'm not sure of that. We know that gay men and women are both under and over represented in different aspects of life where it is normal to be open about your sexuality. It wouldn't shock me if the stereotypes of lesbians being overrepresented in sport and gay men underrepresented are somewhat true. Obviously there will be a load of gay men playing professional football, regardless of what the percentage is it's definitely an awful lot more than one bloke in Australia, mind.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
The biggest issue with gay footballers is that there are certainly 5 % of them and nobody is coming out because of the macho culture that comes along with the sport. It should change.
It's so funny that it's considered a macho sport, when most athletes in a lot of other sports (cycling, basketball, rugby, American Football, boxing, mma, etc) would say it's a sport for pussies.

And a lot of the top players aren't exactly your typical hardboiled tough guys (Ronaldo, Neymar, Griezman, Salah, Hazard, etc)

Anyway, hope that there comes a time when it really isn't news anymore to come out.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
It's so funny that it's considered a macho sport, when most athletes in a lot of other sports (cycling, basketball, rugby, American Football, boxing, mma, etc) would say it's a sport for pussies.

And a lot of the top players aren't exactly your typical hardboiled tough guys (Ronaldo, Neymar, Griezman, Salah, Hazard, etc)

Anyway, hope that there comes a time when it really isn't news anymore to come out.
Think it might be more about the culture of the sport that makes it viewed as macho. A bunch of lads getting together down the pub and sinking pints of Stella watching the game while calling everyone a cnut. That sort of thing.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Fair play to the lad. Shows a lot of courage to put himself out there in this fashion when he could just be sat at home collecting royalties from his putting challenge.

madzo2007

Fair play to Josh for coming out and only 21 as well. Hope he goes on to have a great career.

Great to see load of players and clubs sending him messages of support

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Shame this is where the world is. Men proud to shag men and women proud to do same. Some day, when all of this ends, we all will answer for our messed up belief systems. How we called straight people homophobic and encouraged societal ills that have been carefully and meticulously ingrained into popular culture over several years. One day, we will answer!

I don't reply so don't waste your time. My work is to provoke common sense in those who still have it. Those destined for destruction will head there regardless of what sane people say or do.

Football will never be for gay people!
By the far the worst post in this thread, which took some doing.

Cloud7

Good on him. I saw Pique posted a tweet in support of him. It would be nice for other high profile players to do the same.

The drain dwellers of society are naturally going to crawl out of their cracks and attack him, whether directly or in the passive aggressive “Who cares? I don’t tell people I’m straight! This shouldn’t be news” way, but I would like to hope he will have ample support following this.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
We haven't had anyone moaning about gays ramming it down our throats for a while.
:lol: I remember those
Shame this is where the world is. Men proud to shag men and women proud to do same. Some day, when all of this ends, we all will answer for our messed up belief systems. How we called straight people homophobic and encouraged societal ills that have been carefully and meticulously ingrained into popular culture over several years. One day, we will answer!

I don't reply so don't waste your time. My work is to provoke common sense in those who still have it. Those destined for destruction will head there regardless of what sane people say or do.

Football will never be for gay people!

**************** Admin Note: Please stop reporting this post. It has already been dealt with. *******************
:lol:
It literally affects you in no way shape or form. If this a Jesus thing, let the player worry about his soul, again, that has zero bearing on you. If him being a gay player angers you or affects your enjoyment of the game, well then I think you need to work on your hate
Great post mate

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
We are in 2021 and there are still a few narrow minded souls who think in binaries and absolutes. Must be sad being so intellectually impoverished.

Hope Josh attains the respect he deserves for his football and willingness to broach difficult subjects (that shouldn't be difficult in the first place).

FriedClams

Well done to Josh Cavallo. I hope that his friends, family and teammates all support him through what will be a whirlwind of media coverage.

It’s a very telling moment, because the response on social media and in newspapers will likely convince other gay footballers to either also come out, or decide that the response is not worth it. I really hope it’s the former, because the world is definitely ready for these things. Sure, it’ll be difficult, and there will always be idiots like the person a few pages back, but I genuinely believe that most people have it in them to be decent, kind and compassionate and I hope that Josh decision proves to be one that changes his life forever for the better.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I used to be of the view that it shouldn’t be news but I think differently now. It needs to be out there loud and proud because then other people will be inspired to follow. I’m of the opinion that a lot of the people saying “who cares” are against it. They don’t say who cares for any other bits of news but they’re suddenly out talking about politics being shoved down our throats when something like this happens. It’s pretty much always only politics they don’t like. Not that this even is political but you know how people are.
To be fair the point is other bits of news ARE actual news. Someone's sexual orientation really shouldn't be news if society was as civilized as people claim it should be. I think it just places an unnecessary target on people's back. For it will always come across like they are getting special treatment from society. Then with the current frustrations most societies have been with since corvid 19 showed up as a pandemic, people are just dying for a scape goat to latch on to attack.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
What makes it big news is the fear players have that it will effect their careers, their families etc. Just look at some of the comments that even Premiere League get on some of the Pride Month campaigns a lot of it is completely disgusting. Watching his video I mean you can literally see the weight lifted off him just getting to be honest about something basic.

Of course it shouldn't be a big deal. But, the reality is clear that it is still in sports and general and the major leagues especially. Just statistically there must be more players that we all would know actively playing that are having to hide basic pieces of their lives in order to concentrate on their careers or protect themselves or family.

We as fans should not want this pressure on our players. Having to constantly maintain the lies, to themselves, and teammates, and media, etc. is just one more thing that keeps them from giving what they need to to sport. They shouldn't have to be worried about who they are seen with, or having a loved one come to the game or team dinner, or trophy celebration because that will out them.
I can see why many feel that way. I just get surprised to see it in societies where it's legal and normalized to be known that way. One would think there, there would never be reason to hide.

AlexUTD

Well done Josh, this can help others not only on high level sports but small kids who are struggling to come out and needs a role model to help them. This can save lives.

On a sidenote in the discussion that football is a macho sport. I do not feel like its a macho sport when grown men lie on the grass looking like they were shot after someone barely touched them. But that is my opinion.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I can see why many feel that way. I just get surprised to see it in societies where it's legal and normalized to be known that way. One would think there, there would never be reason to hide.
It’s legal and normalised in the U.K. but homophobia is still rife (our PM referred to gay people as ‘tank-topped bumboys’)

and then you get people being attacked for being who they are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-58345367

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Considering that there is probably 3-6% of the population with almost exclusvie same-sex attraction (even if it's very hard to determine), it means there's roughly 1 player per team (no reason for it to be different in football). I can't begin to comprehend how hard it must be to hide that for all your carreer/life. This is pretty sad, there's still a very long way to go.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
“Your face like shit and you are gay want dick in your ass.... your mother”

Sounds like that newbie who keeps coming back trying to tell us about practical solutions

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Sad that players still do not feel comfortable openly stating their sexuality, in fear of judgement or abuse they may receive because of it.

The sport is continuing to send a strong message supporting equality, but as we all know the message has been focussed predominantly on racial issues (an important one I may add, in case someone misinterprets me saying it isn't).

Perhaps integrating the message of taking the knee, which is aimed at tackling racial injustice, with other discriminatory issues can help those players feel more comfortable in coming out, rather than living in fear of the repercussions.

Reading Evra's interview about the number of gay players he played with over the years, yet told them to keep quiet in case of backlash raises the question further.

hodgey123

Came here to post about the Casillas tweet. People seem to be mixed as to whether to take it seriously or if it is a joke. Puyol's reply muddies the waters further too...

hodgey123

its in bad taste and won’t go down well if they are taking the piss.
Why would they even think it would go down well?! The only circumstance it would possibly be construed as a 'joke' would be if it was in response to some ridiculous rumours in a Spanish tabloid for example but it doesn't appear that that is the case?