LGBT Relationship Lessons in UK Schools

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Individuals living their lives as they see fit. Why does this make some people so angry? You don't have to like it, you just have be tolerant.
I have no idea at all.
I think there's a deep fear of a breakdown of order to be found in this kind of cultural-conservative mindset. (Supposedly) unregulated sexuality is stoking this fear.

Last edited:

nickm

Synco - it is an interesting argument but I am reluctant to accept that parents hoping for grandchildren, prior to a kid coming out, is necessarily a homophobic position (it also implies that gays can't bring up kids, which isn't true). I understand the point you are making but I think in this the devil is in the detail - how these things are talked about in families, how accepting you are, how you deal with differences etc. You can be an asshole about it, as a parent, of course and certainly many gay peoples' experience of coming out has been made harder by that.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Synco - it is an interesting argument but I am reluctant to accept that parents hoping for grandchildren, prior to a kid coming out, is necessarily a homophobic position (it also implies that gays can't bring up kids, which isn't true).
I don't think I made that argument, or at least I didn't mean to. Which part of what I've written gave you that impression?

The fact that gay people can raise children is indeed the most obvious argument against a necessary connection between grandchildren and a heterosexual child, as several people have already pointed out.

(Things could still be said about the wish/expectation for other people to have children, but I'll leave that alone for now.)