Lingard promotes clothing brand whilst paying respects to Manchester bombing victims

Loublaze

ATLien
The first Utd., player to have a clothing brand and shop was George Best, he earned it because he was the finest of his generation, he used his name and reputation as "El Beatle ", to promote his business interests not the club. Fast forward we now have a player who skill wise is not fit to lay out Best's kit, but uses his connection as a Utd., player to promote his business. Is it little wonder that fans take to the media to abuse him
He also used his stardom to steer his womanizing and feed his addiction while playing for united. The guy quit on the club at 27 because the team wasn't good enough and he was tired of it. The very definition of a selfish coward who couldnt handle things when they went bad. Terrible father to boot. You think he would've been able to aquire those businesses if he didn't play for united? El Beatle :lol:. Imagine a modern player having a similar appearance to and likening himself to the most popular pop band around. How would you take it?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
As Keane rightly said, do all this when you retire. It just winds the fans up when they see sh*t performances on a Saturday.
From now on I shall only take life tips and business advice from Roy Keane

Red Stone

He also used his stardom to steer his womanizing and feed his addiction while playing for united. The guy quit on the club at 27 because the team wasn't good enough and he was tired of it. The very definition of a selfish coward who couldnt handle things when they went bad. Terrible father to boot. You think he would've been able to aquire those businesses if he didn't play for united? El Beatle :lol:. Imagine a modern player having a similar appearance to and likening himself to the most popular pop band around. How would you take it?
How much of a cock you can be is somewhat proportional to how talented you are. Look at Zlatan, for example. The guy is as arrogant as they come, albeit a bit tongue-in-cheek, but he's allowed to be because he's scored buckets of goals in every league he's played in and won more trophies than almost any other footballer ever. Zlatan is a genius and a character. Take away the talent and what do you get? Nicklas Bendtner. A complete and utter bellend.

Sterling Archer

Another aspect of this I'm wondering about... How successful if his brand?

If Zlatan had to shut down his after such a short try, we know JLingus is going to burn. But the arrogant prat will probably keep it going for much longer than is sensible. Just a waiting game for him to realize his side business is even worse than his football. What's the percentage on that , lingztar!

hobbers

If Zlatan had to shut down his after such a short try, we know JLingus is going to burn. But the arrogant prat will probably keep it going for much longer than is sensible. Just a waiting game for him to realize his side business is even worse than his football. What's the percentage on that , lingztar!
No doubt plunging a huge portion of those wages he does nothing to earn into the business to keep it afloat.

Just looked on his site... not exactly a great sign for the brand that his fragrance is on at half price, £22.50. The tagline? "Smell like LINGZ" :lol::lol:

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
How much of a cock you can be is somewhat proportional to how talented you are. Look at Zlatan, for example. The guy is as arrogant as they come, albeit a bit tongue-in-cheek, but he's allowed to be because he's scored buckets of goals in every league he's played in and won more trophies than almost any other footballer ever. Zlatan is a genius and a character. Take away the talent and what do you get? Nicklas Bendtner. A complete and utter bellend.
I get what you're saying, some people don't care if their idols shoot them in the foot as long as they're delivering on the pitch. Zlatan is arrogance personified but as far as we know he hasn't committed anything close to what Best did, Bendtner as well. George Best was an actual menace to society.

This is not necessarily how business works. Pure hatred

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
No doubt plunging a huge portion of those wages he does nothing to earn into the business to keep it afloat.

Just looked on his site... not exactly a great sign for the brand that his fragrance is on at half price, £22.50. The tagline? "Smell like LINGZ" :lol::lol:
Wat? Let me see that.

Edit : Never mind, found it. It says "Limited edition" as well. :lol:

Last edited:

Kostov

Did you think the same when Tom Cleverley was doing his brand?
Absolutely fecking yes. I loathed Cleverley, he was as average as they come, only difference was that he was not the annoying parody that Lingard is, no 'braking the wheel" shit from him as far as I remember.

Lingard will probably follow the same downwards spiral as soon as he is booted out of the club.

Saffron

Lingard not getting a full NT call-up until he was 24 should tell you all you need to know really. Even Phil Jones got his first call-up at a normal age (19). Even mediocre players usually get a foot in the door at that age, but Lingard was clearly considered substandard for even a friendly.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
From now on I shall only take life tips and business advice from Roy Keane
:lol:

I'm sick of hearing about how Roy Keane thinks a footballer should behave. The same Roy Keane who did this ? I love Keane but he wasn't the perfect professional who never made any mistakes like some on here paint him as.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending

I brought this up in the brands thread and was told by an American user that I was just jealous and was trying to belittle young men of colour's attempt to diversify their income by becoming successful businessmen...

I fail to understand how he can be making any money of this venture, as you said Zlatan had to close his down and he's an international superstar and was selling exclusively underwear. Lingard sells hoodie's and other items of clothing at a £45 entry point. Who's buying that? Not United fans, not rival fans, so who?

crossy1686

career ending

The stock would have been relatively cheap, it will all be Chinese off brands anyway. He'll be getting fecked by the wages he's paying to the people that convinced him this was a good idea, they're the only people winning from this.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
Lingard not getting a full NT call-up until he was 24 should tell you all you need to know really. Even Phil Jones got his first call-up at a normal age (19). Even mediocre players usually get a foot in the door at that age, but Lingard was clearly considered substandard for even a friendly.
How old was Vardy when he got his first cap? What about Luca Toni? Or Antonio Di Natale?

Some players simply need more time to refine their game.

RochaRoja

There's 30 there for you
Laughable if actual graphic designers were paid money for most of these. They’re terrible.

The Fellaini one can’t be real, surey? Looks like something Quentin Tarantino designed for Jules.

Not a United fan but I don’t see any problem with Lingard’s attitude or maturity level. He just has a bit of personality and isn’t a dull cnut. As usual, a young rich black guy getting criticised for having the temerity to not apologise for his wealth and success.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I don't want to sound like a business elitist (because I'm not) but looking at his shop, there are only simple clothing like hoodie, tshirt, boxer, cap, beanie... and They're all plain. They have his logo (like 1 - 2 logos) and a text and that's all. The most complex thing He sells being an aftershave.

How on earth would you sell a big amount of those in this era, online? There are several websites where you can order a custom hoodie/tshirt/boxer/cap with logos or pictures of your liking and custom colouring. Cheaper and fits your needs exactly.

So there's almost nothing special about the things He sells other than his brand. But his brand is relatively new and He can't be considered a role model ala Ronaldo. Maybe 0.00012% of England's population will buy them (50% of which are his mates) and that's all.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Laughable if actual graphic designers were paid money for most of these. They’re terrible.

Not a United fan but I don’t see any problem with Lingard’s attitude or maturity level. He just has a bit of personality and isn’t a dull cnut. As usual, a young rich black guy getting criticised for having the temerity to not apologise for his wealth and success.
Can people stop with this bollocks.

This was the same for Tom Cleverly who is the whitest person in the world. Everyone acted and said the exact same things about him that they're saying about Lingard.

I don't know who you support but imagine one of your incredibly average players brought out a clothing line and portrayed himself as someone at the pinnacle of the game. You'd be just as upset about it.

Let's be clear, no one would give a shit about it if he had scored 30 goals last season. He has 14 assists in his whole career and he's turning 27...

Saffron

:lol:

I'm sick of hearing about how Roy Keane thinks a footballer should behave. The same Roy Keane who did this ? I love Keane but he wasn't the perfect professional who never made any mistakes like some on here paint him as.
Roy Keane is essentially just one of those ”I have no filter, just telling it like it is, if you can’t handle me at my worst you don’t deserve me at my best” personality types who seems to get a kick out of making others uncomfortable.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I brought this up in the brands thread and was told by an American user that I was just jealous and was trying to belittle young men of colour's attempt to diversify their income by becoming successful businessmen...

I fail to understand how he can be making any money of this venture, as you said Zlatan had to close his down and he's an international superstar and was selling exclusively underwear. Lingard sells hoodie's and other items of clothing at a £45 entry point. Who's buying that? Not United fans, not rival fans, so who?
That was me and that is not what happened. You were talking complete nonsense about price points and the apparel industry in general. Never said you were jealous, just that you had no idea what you are talking about and this topic usually comes up with young athletes of color.

crossy1686

career ending
That was me and that is not what happened. You were talking complete nonsense about price points and the apparel industry in general. Never said you were jealous, just that you had no idea what you are talking about and this topic usually comes up with young athletes of color.
We'll come back to this conversation when Lingard reports losses and shuts the company down. Until then, there is no point in having this discussion.

RochaRoja

Can people stop with this bollocks.

This was the same for Tom Cleverly who is the whitest person in the world. Everyone acted and said the exact same things about him that they're saying about Lingard.

I don't know who you support but imagine one of your incredibly average players brought out a clothing line and portrayed himself as someone at the pinnacle of the game. You'd be just as upset about it.

Let's be clear, no one would give a shit about it if he had scored 30 goals last season. He has 14 assists in his whole career and he's turning 27...
He’s trying to make bank just like most people in his position do. Never seen him claiming to be some kind of superstar or world class player either. Never seen him complain about being on the bench or requesting a transfer or heard any bad words from people at the club or at England about his attitude so it just seems to be an assumption that he’s a “bad egg” with no evidence.

“Something similar happened to this one white player” is always a classic deflection in the situations. The difference is that for white players, it’s the exception, not the norm. People having a go at Lingard, Rashford and Pogba’s fashion choices and questioning their professionalism based on them is textbook racism.

Even Cleverley’s and Lingard’s brands aren’t a fair comparison. Cleverley launched his brand when he’d played less than half a season of first team football for United, Lingard launched his after playing over 100 games for the club, scoring in an FA Cup final win and a League Cup final win and being an important part of an England team that reached the World Cup semis. He “earned” it a lot more that Cleverley had or has.

RochaRoja

Roy Keane is essentially just one of those ”I have no filter, just telling it like it is, if you can’t handle me at my worst you don’t deserve me at my best” personality types who seems to get a kick out of making others uncomfortable.
Roy Keane the regular binge drinker and violent thug who got thrown out of a club and a World Cup squad for being a liability in the dressing room is a model of professionalism that young players should strive to emulate apparently.

crossy1686

career ending
He’s trying to make bank just like most people in his position do. Never seen him claiming to be some kind of superstar or world class player either. Never seen him complain about being on the bench or requesting a transfer or heard any bad words from people at the club or at England about his attitude so it just seems to be an assumption that he’s a “bad egg” with no evidence.

“Something similar happened to this one white player” is always a classic deflection in the situations. The difference is that for white players, it’s the exception, not the norm. People having a go at Lingard, Rashford and Pogba’s fashion choices and questioning their professionalism based on them is textbook racism.

Even Cleverley’s and Lingard’s brands aren’t a fair comparison. Cleverley launched his brand when he’d played less than half a season of first team football for United, Lingard launched his after playing over 100 games for the club, scoring in an FA Cup final win and a League Cup final win and being an important part of an England team that reached the World Cup semis. He “earned” it a lot more that Cleverley had or has.
Some people are questioning his attitude, which is unfair, most are question his choices in regards to branding himself when there isn't a market for it. This seems to get lost on our North American posters but football is tribal, we do not want to support players of other teams or other teams in any fecking capacity. There are people out there who won't buy anything made by Nivia due to the Liverpool association, let alone a hoodie made by one of their players.

Zlatan is the perfect example of a world wide superstar who couldn't even sell enough underwear to stay a float. What chance does Lingard realistically have? But whatever, I'm tired of talking about it. Your cultural references points aren't the same as others so don't assume you know exactly whats going on in other parts of the world because that's the agenda on your doorstep.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I can't belive people are bringing race into this. Pathetic.

On a sidenote I just started my first FM2019 season and I sold Lingard, Rojo and Jones and it was quite cathartic.

dove

Why would he do that? He can't believe his luck he is playing for Manchester United, he will never ask to leave because he surely knows his next team would be some relegation fodder. He hides his clear lack of talent playing football with "movement" and many people actually believe it.

crossy1686

career ending
Why would he do that? He can't believe his luck he is playing for Manchester United, he will never ask to leave because he surely knows his next team would be some relegation fodder. He hides his clear lack of talent playing football with "movement" and many people actually believe it.
He'd be lucky to get a game for Stoke with his stats to be fair.

crossy1686

career ending
I can't belive people are bringing race into this. Pathetic.

On a sidenote I just started my first FM2019 season and I sold Lingard, Rojo and Jones and it was quite cathartic.
Bet you sold Lingard first didn't you? Racist.

all jokes aside, it's only the American lot who bring this accusation to the table. When it's prevalent in your society everyday I guess you see it everywhere, even mistakenly.

Aloysius's Back 3

The Fellaini one can’t be real, surey? Looks like something Quentin Tarantino designed for Jules.

Me neither.
Lingard might go over the top by a slight tad but that is just his personality and I have seen so much worse.

As the thread asking about 'why are our fans so toxic against the players' - it's clear as hell that alot of these fans were drilled in by the success of United more than anything else & are left frustrated when that doesn't happen. Lingard is used as this obvious reason that our squad isn't good enough anymore - which may be true to some level but it's not like we ever had this galactico type football at our club.

More than the quality of the players - I can't really have a go at players like Rashford, Martial & Lingard when we haven't had a RW for nearly 5 years now. The club isn't building things in a coordinated manner & to blame the players for that is a bit confusing.

I look at players like silvestre, Barthez, Fortune, Buttner, Welbeck, Cleverley & I don't really see that much of an excuse to have a go at Lingard - especially a lad who has been quite important in the titles and trophies we have won post SAF. Sure he isn't the greatest but neither is he useless - he plays a role in a position where we have no players in like RW and CAM & that's more down to the club than him if he struggles to settle and be this galactico the fans want instead.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Bet you sold Lingard first didn't you? Racist.

all jokes aside, it's only the American lot who bring this accusation to the table. When it's prevalent in your society everyday I guess you see it everywhere, even mistakenly.
It’s prevalent in English culture as well.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
All jokes aside, it's only the American lot who bring this accusation to the table. When it's prevalent in your society everyday I guess you see it everywhere, even mistakenly.
Some of the comments regarding Pogba definitely do have a racial overtone. Not so much deliberately, but subconscious cliches that people pull out.

That's the only thing I can think of at our club. Some of the criticism of Rashford's fashion decision lately is a bit unfair, but that's more because he's standing next to Lingard when his fashion has looked fairly terrible.

King_Cantona07

He requesting transfer? Don’t think he is that fool he clearly knows no other club will buy him for that wages

Saffron

How old was Vardy when he got his first cap? What about Luca Toni? Or Antonio Di Natale?

Some players simply need more time to refine their game.
It’s not his fault he isn’t very good, but how often during the SAF years would a young English Manchester United prospect get serious minutes at the club but not a single cap until 24? Standards are slipping and we’ve grown content with mediocrity.

The Vardy comparison doesn’t hold up because there’s no way a young Vardy would have been deemed good enough for Manchester United before he matured into a decent player worthy of a call-up.

Mr.Plow

Hey everyone. You know who I hate more than Lingard? Phil Jones. Guess I'm a racist self-loathing white.

Matteh

Absolutely crazy the hate he's getting in here.

I've followed his brand since it started (because it ran a giveaway of course and I love free stuff) and have found that it is about as inoffensive as you can get aside from some of the prices.

We all know that in the grand scheme of things the career of a footballer is very very short, so good on him for planning for life after football. He's clearly not the right personality for punditry or management as things stand, so I don't see anything wrong with trying to establish a brand.

Good for the guy I say.

Reactions: SteveJ

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It’s not his fault he isn’t very good, but how often during the SAF years would a young English Manchester United prospect get serious minutes at the club but not a single cap until 24? Standards are slipping and we’ve grown content with mediocrity.

The Vardy comparison doesn’t hold up because there’s no way a young Vardy would have been deemed good enough for Manchester United before he matured into a decent player worthy of a call-up.
Those defending Lingard's place in the squad certainly have.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Hey everyone. You know who I hate more than Lingard? Phil Jones. Guess I'm a racist self-loathing white.
I don't have an opinion on whether you are racist or not but you can be racist, which is a systematic behavior, and hate someone for reasons alien to that particular behavior. Unfortunately your post leads to more questions than answers.

Shaidabdullah Hussain

I’d agree with your post if it had been re pogba as I think there is definite racial undertones to some of the criticism he gets , media driven of course.

I do think with Lingard, however, there is a bit more to it than that.