Lionel Messi’s Obscene Contract

DoomSlayer

How can my point be ridiculous from an accounting perspective when it was an ethical point to begin with? In the post you quoted, we were debating whether or not it was ethical that an employee earns ~17% of his employer's revenue. I'm getting the feeling you didn't really read the thread before you made your post.
Your point was that if clubs start spending their money more wisely, it would lead to more profit which would only go to the owners. Now in some clubs that might be the case, but surely you understand the need for investing in improving club infrastructure, stadium improvements, buying new players. When you have incredibly high expenditure, you can't do any of that, unless you start putting the club in dangerous amounts of debt.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Your point was that if clubs start spending their money more wisely, it would lead to more profit which would only go to the owners. Now in some clubs that might be the case, but surely you understand the need for investing in improving club infrastructure, stadium improvements, buying new players. When you have incredibly high expenditure, you can't do any of that, unless you start putting the club in dangerous amounts of debt.
Where did I say that the money goes to some owners? That wouldn't even make sense because as far as I know Barca has no owner.

My point was that if Messi didn't earn that much, the money he generates would go straightly to Barca which itself is a gigantic company generating hundreds of millions of prof.. revenue ;) I find it quite ironic that people think it's unethical that Messi earns that much since this automatically means that they prefer the money going directly into the pocket of a capitalistic mega company. And if they don't like that either, they're effectively criticizing that Messi generates so much revenue - for which they're responsible themselves (and contributing to at the very second they read/post in this thread).

Sylar

Nah. No way. The whole finance department and accounting would know. The bank would know. His agent would know. The clerk in Barcelona back office would know. Tax person would know. Somebody typing those numbers would know.
Sure but look at the timing of the leak
You would think all those others who knew would have leaked it a lot sooner than we saw

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Contract over? He's a free agent in about 3 hours if my calculations are correct.

Pretty certain Barcelona can't afford to renew him...

Even if they could, he won't stay because €300m off the wage bill will not a competitive team make.

Why would he waste the last couple of seasons of his club career?

Threesus

Contract over? He's a free agent in about 3 hours if my calculations are correct.

Even if they could, he won't stay because €300m off the wage bill will not a competitive team make.

The guy was paid $674M for the last 4 years by Barcelona. As much as a Messi fan as I am, that figure is nuts. Surely the contract must be the highest for any length of time?

Who is going to make a play for him this window? PSG? City?

JBD-dane

The guy was paid $674M for the last 4 years by Barcelona. As much as a Messi fan as I am, that figure is nuts. Surely the contract must be the highest for any length of time?
He has been paid ridiculous much no doubt about that. But without bieing into the figures of Barcelona financial statements I guess he also generate an even more ridiculous number og money to the club - just him.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Thats insane even for Messi...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Cheeky bid?

kidbob

He's going to City with Grealish and Kane and their inventive book keeping will make it seem like they are actually paying City for the privilege of playing for them. Nailed on because Pep doesn't know how to win a CL without his little friend.

::sonny::

they offered him 100 millions for the next 10 yrs, with the obligation to play the only 2 next seasons hahaha

Stadjer

Thats insane even for Messi...
Football clubs are business, Messi increases the chances off succes on the field and his commercial value is insane. The financial people at Barcelona must have made the calculation and decided that he is worth it.

RedDevil@84

He's going to City with Grealish and Kane and their inventive book keeping will make it seem like they are actually paying City for the privilege of playing for them. Nailed on because Pep doesn't know how to win a CL without his little friend.
He will sign up for Melbourne City FC and be loaned to Man City

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
they offered him 100 millions for the next 10 yrs, with the obligation to play the only 2 next seasons hahaha
Why would he accept when even without his contract they still need to cut €200m off the wage bill.

Dembele getting knee injury is a huge problem for them now. They have to sell Griezmann and the likes of Pedri etc or they won't even be able to register new signings...

Those are the players clubs will put big money for.

Who wants Alba on 400k a week or whatever... Ridiculous.

I think Laporta is in fantasy land. Totally relied on the super league money. The merde is going to hit the fan at Barcelona pretty shortly...

dinostar77

Going absolutely nowhere. Will sign again for Barcelona. His family are dead set against moving outside of Barcelona.

Last years talk of moving to city really upset his family.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Going absolutely nowhere. Will sign again for Barcelona. His family are dead set against moving outside of Barcelona.

Last years talk of moving to city really upset his family.
Even if they're looking at mid table due to all the cuts?

That is consensus re renewal but I'm not seeing it.

Don't see why he can't play somewhere he actually has a chance at CL win for last two years.. Family can stay in Barca.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Football clubs are business, Messi increases the chances off succes on the field and his commercial value is insane. The financial people at Barcelona must have made the calculation and decided that he is worth it.
I wouldn't trust the financial people at Barca given the mess they're now in.

Stadjer

I wouldn't trust the financial people at Barca given the mess they're now in.
That is mostly caused by spending a lot of money on the wrong players... that is more of a football vision issue than financial vision. If Coutinho, Dembele and Griezman improved the team and turned them into CL winners than i assume they could have covered the costs.

dinostar77

Even if they're looking at mid table due to all the cuts?

That is consensus re renewal but I'm not seeing it.

Don't see why he can't play somewhere he actually has a chance at CL win for last two years.. Family can stay in Barca.
He won't leave. If im wrong I'll be the first to hold my hand up. Laporta will not want to be the president who let Messi leave Barcelona.

cyberman

That is mostly caused by spending a lot of money on the wrong players... that is more of a football vision issue than financial vision. If Coutinho, Dembele and Griezman improved the team and turned them into CL winners than i assume they could have covered the costs.
When they were winning CLs they made a loss on it becauae of the obscene player bonuses.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What do Barcelona fans make of this? I mean I know it’s fecking Messi but surely his avarice is a contribution to Barcelona’s downfall in recent years?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They have to cut the other players salaries by half just to.support his new contract. No.player is with that. Even arguably the best player in history. Its not like they are sweeping trophy after trophy either.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Their accumulated losses are over half a billion €s. CL titles won't cover that.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
They need to clone him and sell half a dozen of them.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They have to cut the other players salaries by half just to.support his new contract. No.player is with that. Even arguably the best player in history. Its not like they are sweeping trophy after trophy either.
It’s insane. It’s already come out that Dembele and Busquets are being offered significant salary reductions.

DaGOAT

747 goals

312 assists

35 trophies

57 freekicks

54 hattricks

50 league goals in a season

73 goals all competitions in a season

91 goals in a year

30 or more club goals in last 13 seasons

8 Pichichi

6 European Golden Shoe

6 Ballon d'Or

6 FIFA Best Player

2 UEFA Best Player

With this statistical output and these accomplishments I'm pretty sure he can ask for whatever he wants.

Gonçalo Motta

747 goals

312 assists

35 trophies

57 freekicks

54 hattricks

91 goals in a year

8 Pichichi

6 European Golden Shoe

6 Ballon d'Or

6 FIFA Best Player

2 UEFA Best Player

With this statistical output and these accomplishments I'm pretty sure he can ask for whatever he wants.
That's not how businesses work, and the clubs are still a business at the end of the day. He can ask whatever he wants, doesn't mean that anyone is going to pay.
Barcelona not handling it as a business is why they got into this financial mess in the first place.

If the figures of @Threesus are correct and he earned 674M in 4 years, that means that directly and indirectly, he had to generate 164.5M per year from sporting achievements, merchandise sales, influence in better sponsorship deals, etc to justify a 164.5M contract per year just so Barcelona stayed break even. Being break even from a business point of view is not really great, but it isn't as problematic as their current reality.

They didn't win a CL in 6 years, a La Liga in 3 and his peak influence in terms of the income he could generate was in the Ronaldo vs Messi era in La Liga.
Best case scenario Barcelona was getting some return during that era, but sure af that right now Messi is just cannibalizing a great part of their total income and he isn't generating enough to justify what he earns.

But that's not his fault, Barcelona as a club wasn't well managed and they are paying for it

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
747 goals

312 assists

35 trophies

57 freekicks

54 hattricks

91 goals in a year

8 Pichichi

6 European Golden Shoe

6 Ballon d'Or

6 FIFA Best Player

2 UEFA Best Player

Can't ask for more than €380m a year odd as that's Barcelona la liga wage cap...

The problem is the rest of the squad are paid about €580m not even counting him or the new signings...

Why would Dembele or Busquets accept a reduction? Surely grounds to terminate and become a free agent?

big rons sovereign

747 goals

312 assists

35 trophies

57 freekicks

54 hattricks

91 goals in a year

8 Pichichi

6 European Golden Shoe

6 Ballon d'Or

6 FIFA Best Player

2 UEFA Best Player

What's a pichichi?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol: no

Withnail

He's a twat. The club are bankrupting themselves to keep him there, and great player and all, but it makes no financial sense.

How much money does the cnut need? His grandkid's grandkids won't need to work.

Gonçalo Motta

He's a twat. The club are bankrupting themselves to keep him there, and great player and all, but it makes no financial sense.

How much money does the cnut need? His grandkid's grandkids won't need to work.
Doesn't really matters how much money he needs/wants. As a professional, he can ask whatever he wants or whatever he thinks it's fair to him but it's the club job to understand if it's financially viable to keep a player that cannibalizes so much of their income and what they can handle.

The answer is that in their case it doesn't make sense at all and now the club is in a financial crisis. It's not only because of Messi's contract of course, they did really dumb sht in the last few years as well.

Withnail

Doesn't really matters how much money he needs/wants. As a professional, he can ask whatever he wants or whatever he thinks it's fair to him but it's the club job to understand if it's financially viable to keep a player that cannibalizes so much of their income and what they can handle.

The answer is that in their case it doesn't make sense at all and now the club is in a financial crisis. It's not only because of Messi's contract of course, they did really dumb sht in the last few years as well.
I take the point that the club are financial morons but how is the bolded part a rebuttal? You seem to be agreeing with me but it's written in a manner that suggests you're disagreeing.