Lionel Messi’s Obscene Contract

Viral United

I think Barca's board making face saving effort.
The bottom line is Barca's fans need to ready them-self for some dire years.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
But they used to do it for Ronaldinho?
They've done it for both Ronaldos too?

There will always be a player who draws a crowd, no matter what the nou camp would sell out anyway.

Barca would find a new star and that would be that.
Messi isn’t just any other player is he. I don’t understand why you’re trying to get around that. He’s the best player ever.

SAFMUTD

Not even Messi is worth that much, if true I dont think club can/will match the contract.

Berbaclass

That's debateable.

Not saying he is just another player, but you can't justify that amount of money?
I’m not saying it’s justifiable. All I’m saying is that him being there generates a substantial amount of revenue. In a way subsidising some amount of the contract.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Because Messi contract is an easy dire financial decision to look into for the average Joe. Not everyone is going to understand the rest of their shit decisions, but paying one man, in a squad of 25 that amount, is something everyone can understand is a ridiculous thing.

Hey, if Barca weren't so far in debt and actually making money then fair enough, give Messi that much. As you said though, they're useless financially and irresponsible so no way they should have signed off on that.
Do you think that is said in hindsight at the wind down of his career and the subsequent fallout these last couple of seasons, or, in light of all the money he brings into the club; the amount of rolls he fulfilled on the pitch and the cold light of him being good for business before things nosedived?

There's also the fact the board that let Messi go would be the board that got strung up outside the Nou Camp. Even to lower his profile, they would have had to have begun a smear campaign - at the time he was playing at the level that forced them to match what he could have got elsewhere.

This entanglement is multi-layered, and I find it ridiculous how so few factors are honed in on. If other clubs and their financial workings were laid bare, we'd at least have a sense of perspective into what really goes on behind the scenes. You have to multiply the madness for Messi because he is obviously one of very few players to have existed who can remain steadfast and let the chips fall where they may, to the chargrin of his club. Again, the board who let peak Messi leave would be the board remembered throughout history in the most negative light imaginable.

AkaAkuma

How much value did Ferguson add to United? and did he earn anywhere close to that?

Ofcourse there is a moral aspect to it, you have to leave an institution you built on solid ground.

Personally somebody like Messi or Ferguson should receive shares or dividends for the rest of their lifes rather than such a crippling short term contract. Similiarly to how hollywood stars negotiate earnings from a films success.

Berbaclass

How much value did Ferguson add to United? and did he earn anywhere close to that?

Ofcourse there is a moral aspect to it, you have to leave an institution you built on solid ground.

Personally somebody like Messi or Ferguson should receive shares or dividends for the rest of their lifes rather than such a crippling short term contract. Similiarly to how hollywood stars negotiate earnings from a films success.
Managers don’t earn as much as players which I think is fair.

matt23

What is the justification for keeping contract details private anyway, PR?

AkaAkuma

Managers don’t earn as much as players which I think is fair.
Im talking about value added. Ferguson helped transform united into a billion pound institution.

Messi has probably elevated barcas value by atleast 25%.

clarkydaz

Why didnt they let him go in the summer then when he wanted to leave? They made a drama out of that making him look the bad guy, made him stay against his wishes, now they release this?

Skills

Snitch
But they used to do it for Ronaldinho?
They've done it for both Ronaldos too?

There will always be a player who draws a crowd, no matter what the nou camp would sell out anyway.

Barca would find a new star and that would be that.
Have you ever been to the Nou Camp? He's pretty much their god.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Messi has always come across like a tosser, I think a lot more people will speak out about him once he retires. Best ever, but as a person? You don't hear many positives.
Maybe he shagged his brothers wife for 8 years Judas.

FujiVice

What if you were a footballer that played in a league with a salary cap?
That's an issue with the governing body. Not the public. We dont need to know the figures. We only need to know if its been breached.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Messi has always come across like a tosser, I think a lot more people will speak out about him once he retires. Best ever, but as a person? You don't hear many positives.
I saw Lionel Messi at a supermarket in Barcelona a few years ago. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Berbaclass

I saw Lionel Messi at a supermarket in Barcelona a few years ago. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Feck sake :lol:

Tallis

This is probably as good a thread to say it as any.

I have always felt that Messi and his advisors (dad / brother) are pretty greedy. There was the whole tax evasion. Then this contract. But more importantly, I think his push to leave the club was driven greatly by the fact that Barca were having players take 50-70 percent pay cuts due to COVID. He really seems like a show me the money kind of person.

Now, I understand that football players have every right to try and maximise what they earn. But even then I think are some lines which seperate the greedy from the rest.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

Ugh! You already experienced exactly the same with Roy Keane. Can’t you tell us a slightly different story next time?

Skills

Snitch
Nope, never been. Wasn't it the same for Ronaldinho though?
Nowhere close. Ronaldinho's biggest stans are probably in the revista de la liga generation of 2004-2007 rather than in the Barcelona fanbase (though he is obviously massively popular there too).

Zen

Why can't football just be open about it's contracts.....

Zen86

Just think what he would’ve been earning off the books when he was pining for his City move