Lionel Messi’s Obscene Contract

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
1: It seems like Barcelona just threw their star player under a bus and then publicly denied it. Wow.
2: Whatever they choose to pay him is their problem. It isn't Messi's fault it's stratospheric.
3: How did City ever think they could get his signature? Offer him all the oil they pump for the next 50 years?
What?

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
They're paying £2m a week to one player and they're blaming covid for their debt?

starman

Are these numbers just for the last 4 years? If so he's probably infact the first billionaire footballer with the rest of his career wages and sponsors

Also what does he have a case to go to court for in discrediting his image if it is all true :confused:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Are these numbers just for the last 4 years? If so he's probably infact the first billionaire footballer with the rest of his career wages and sponsors

Also what does he have a case to go to court for in discrediting his image if it is all true :confused:
Ronaldo already earned a billion. Saw it somewhere last year.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They're paying £2m a week to one player and they're blaming covid for their debt?
They aren't blaming covid for the debt. They are blaming covid for not being in a position to meet the debt obligations. It is partly true.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Obviously it’s obscene but Barcelona throwing their best player of the last 15 years under the bus and leaking personal information is so sleazy. More than a club indeed.

He should get the authorities involved. As with any contract, they are paying him what they offered and agreed to and he has the right for that information not to be made public. The only idiots here are Barcelona, who now look sleazy and untrustworthy on top of badly run and incompetent.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Makes Ronaldo €60m a year wages look reasonable :lol:

Seriously though, those numbers are insane. I read about him making over million a week in wages and thought that was just paper nonsense where they inflate the wages but in reality it’s twice that!

He took Barca to their peak but he’s fecked them in more ways than one could imagine with that contract. They’re gonna be a bigger shitshow than we were after Fergie once he goes.

The Firestarter

They offered him a contract. He signed it and agreed to play football for them for four years. It's not his fault the contract is for huge money, is it?
How do you know that is what happened ? What if they offered him a much smaller contract but he said : no you pay me half a B or I go. He has enormous leverage since all the fans are with him and not very fond of the management.

Josep Dowling

€138m (£122m) each season like a quarter of their revs on one player. I never understood why a player who was birthed at a club would take them to the cleaners so much. Does he not realise it will affect their ability to sign players and also impact their debt? In basketball we have seen players take lesser contracts so that their team has Cap space to sign a third Star player. Lebron, Steph Curry have done this. Guess Lional isn't cut from that cloth.
But he’s sat there blaming the club for not being ambitious enough and signing players! Why would the club give him that sort of money? No one is worth that money and this has been proved with Messi. What exactly have they won since he signed that new contract?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Interesting thread for some perspective.

Yeah the other interesting figure would be to know all the revenues directly generated by Messi (shirts, sponsoring, summer tournaments etc)...

AkaAkuma

Ive got to agree with the revenue point. Barca were big pre messi, but that guys elevated them. The last 10 years wealth has been built off the back of him - I think he deserves that golden handshake.

Berbaclass

Yeah the other interesting figure would be all the revenues directly generated by Messi (shirts, sponsoring, summer tournaments etc)...
Obviously it’s speculation to a degree to put dollar values on these things but there is definitely a few grains of truth to it. He is a marketing dream. He will absolutely pay a good chunk of that back directly or indirectly.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
My gut feeling is to say:

'Well done Leo. You are one of the greatest playmaking negotiators of all times' GOAT

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Question: why do people always focus on Messi's wage in the downfall of Barcelona and not the plethora of dire financial decisions the club has made outside of paying Messi what they do?

If you believe he's the best player of all time and, for most of his career, the greatest prize in football, you cannot possibly believe he doesn't come at the highest premium in football, and with how things are, that was bound to be an obscene amount.

I'd wager Barcelona have been matching and fending off the two suitors who could afford him, which has led to the last contract - they didn't just pull those numbers out of thin air.

Counterfactual

How do you know that is what happened ? What if they offered him a much smaller contract but he said : no you pay me half a B or I go. He has enormous leverage since all the fans are with him and not very fond of the management.
What relevance is the negotiation of the contract?

I'm pretty sure they offered him a contract and he signed it.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Interesting thread for some perspective.

That's a terrible thread :lol: wtf is the 66mill figure from social media about? I don't get that?

And then they're saying Messi is double his teammates for ticket sales, media, etc. :lol:

If Messi wasn't there Barca would still sell pretty much the same tickets, and the same merch.

The Messi shirts? Yeah, again, if they weren't buying Messi shirts they'd buy another players shirt anyway.

They're clutching at straws trying to justify his feckin mental wages.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Question: why do people always focus on Messi's wage in the downfall of Barcelona and not the plethora of dire financial decisions the club has made outside of paying Messi what they do?

If you believe he's the best player of all time and, for most of his career, the greatest prize in football, you cannot possibly believe he doesn't come at the highest premium in football, and with how things are, that was bound to be an obscene amount.

I'd wager Barcelona have been matching and fending off the two suitors who could afford him, which has led to the last contract - they didn't just pull those numbers out of thin air.
Because Messi contract is an easy dire financial decision to look into for the average Joe. Not everyone is going to understand the rest of their shit decisions, but paying one man, in a squad of 25 that amount, is something everyone can understand is a ridiculous thing.

Hey, if Barca weren't so far in debt and actually making money then fair enough, give Messi that much. As you said though, they're useless financially and irresponsible so no way they should have signed off on that.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
That's a terrible thread :lol: wtf is the 66mill figure from social media about? I don't get that?

And then they're saying Messi is double his teammates for ticket sales, media, etc. :lol:

If Messi wasn't there Barca would still sell pretty much the same tickets, and the same merch.

The Messi shirts? Yeah, again, if they weren't buying Messi shirts they'd buy another players shirt anyway.

Without Messi, Barca would have nowhere near the global following they currently do. Glory hunters need glory!

Berbaclass

I don’t think it’s too accurate but there is some truth to it. I posted it because it’s relevant to the discussion because he will contribute a substantial amount in terms of their revenue.

I think you’re underestimating just how much of a draw he is to people and fans. Thousands go to watch Barca so they can say they have seen him play etc.

People would buy other shirts? Yeah but he’s again a huge draw and I don’t think it’s a leap to suggest a Messi shirt is twice as desirable as any other player.

AkaAkuma

Obviously it’s obscene but Barcelona throwing their best player of the last 15 years under the bus and leaking personal information is so sleazy. More than a club indeed.

He should get the authorities involved. As with any contract, they are paying him what they offered and agreed to and he has the right for that information not to be made public. The only idiots here are Barcelona, who now look sleazy and untrustworthy on top of badly run and incompetent.
This. He will go down as their greatest ever player, and its ending like this. Bartomeu is attrocious.

I say all that as somebody who hates the more than a club shit.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I don’t think it’s too accurate but there is some truth to it. I posted it because it’s relevant to the discussion because he will contribute a substantial amount in terms of their revenue.

I think you’re underestimating just how much of a draw he is to people and fans. Thousands go to watch Barca so they can say they have seen him play etc.

People would buyother shirts? Yeah but he’s again a huge draw and I don’t think it’s a leap to suggest a Messi shirt is twice as desirable as any other player.
Yep, my Nan (not a Barca fan or even a Chelsea fan but a sports fan) travelled to Barcelona so that she could see Messi play live once before he retired. I'm sure loads of people have done the same.

Ain't nobody going out of their way to see Dembele or Griezmann.

Berbaclass

Yeah, but without Barca, who can say with certainty Messi would become the same player?
Why are we discussing hypothetical things like this. He is the fecking man at Barca. That’s a fact mate. He is the person responsible for their recent success.

Berbaclass

Yep, my Nan (not a Barca fan or even a Chelsea fan but a sports fan) travelled to Barcelona so that she could see Messi play live once before he retired. I'm sure loads of people have done the same.

Ain't nobody going out of their way to see Dembele or Griezmann.
Millions of people will have done it, literally.

He’s the sort of player that transcends the sport.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

People would buy other shirts? Yeah but he’s again a huge draw and I don’t think it’s a leap to suggest a Messi shirt is twice as desirable as any other player.
So while Messi is there they sell 200mill shirts let's say, so 100mill is Messi shirts.

When he retires / leaves do the club expect shirt sales to drop to 100mill?

That thread is making it sound that's exactly how it will happen :lol:

Basically they're saying once Messi goes, Barcelona should fold pretty much.

Berbaclass

So while Messi is there they sell 200mill shirts let's say, so 100mill is Messi shirts.

When he retires / leaves do the club expect shirt sales to drop to 100mill?

That thread is making it sound that's exactly how it will happen :lol:

Basically they're saying once Messi goes, Barcelona should fold pretty much.
That’s a totally arbitrary figure but yes, there will be a drop off of some sort. People who don’t even support Barca have Messi shirts, I have one FFS :lol:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Millions of people will have done it, literally.

He’s the sort of player that transcends the sport.
But they used to do it for Ronaldinho?
They've done it for both Ronaldos too?

There will always be a player who draws a crowd, no matter what the nou camp would sell out anyway.

Barca would find a new star and that would be that.