Lionel Messi’s Obscene Contract

ariveded

Why are people giving Messi grief for this contract? Barcelona are the ones that offered it to him.

The club chose this investment to keep the arguably best player in history at the club for his career. The income that Messi has helped generate for Barcelona over the course of his career dwarfs his contract, so there's also that.
Why should Messi deserve the God-like image? What Messi getting is exploitation. And eventually for Barcelona, the law of diminishing returns kicks in...

It like some steel manufacturers who artificially hiked the prices, meaning the construction players are forced to pay them excessive sums.

Sara125

Only by those who've never seen anyone pre 2000.
Well this just isn’t true is it? Plenty of fans, experts and ex-players who watched football during Maradona and Pele’s era still cite Messi as the best to ever do it.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Why should Messi deserve the God-like image? What Messi getting is exploitation. And eventually for Barcelona, the law of diminishing returns kicks in...

It like some steel manufacturers who artificially hiked the prices, meaning the construction players are forced to pay them excessive sums.
Or Barcelona could have said: "This is too much, we'll be looking to sell you if you don't sign a reasonable deal"

Pretending like Barcelona is some kind of victim of extortion from Messi here is just flabbergasting.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
no, you’re completely wrong.

griezmann is a much much bigger player than lukaku which is my point. Barca has no issue attracting star players. Lukaku is a second tier player. If Barca clear salary they can afford anyone but there is a lot of bad contracts they’d need to offload. The concept that Barca won’t be able
To attract elite players anymore is laughable. They’ll well be in the mix for haaland once the elder players leave
They are in 1 billion debts, and couldn’t afford any big signings in foreseeable future, it’s no big secrets, everyone knows that. Even if they clear salary issues, they still need to pay off huge amount of debts!

Well regarding Griezmann, he was bigger star in Athletico, but not so in Barca, due to his high fee/wage and poor form/goal returns. Do you think Barca fans would really fancy him as much, after invest so heavily on him with him playing like shite? Don’t be naive, It’s similar to Sanchez case who was a big PL star before joining us too, but do you think Man Utd fans would fancy to buy his jersey after his poor goal return and performances here? I don’t think so.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
They are in 1 billion debts, and couldn’t afford any big signings in foreseeable future, it’s no big secrets, everyone knows that. Even if they clear salary issues, they still need to pay off huge amount of debts!

Well regarding Griezmann, he was bigger star in Athletico, but not so in Barca, due to his high fee/wage and poor form/goal returns. Do you think Barca fans would really fancy him as much, after invest so heavily on him with him playing like shite? Don’t be naive, It’s similar to Sanchez case who was a big PL star before joining us too, but do you think Man Utd fans would fancy to buy his jersey after his poor goal return and performances here? I don’t think so.
Alexis Sanchez was never ever as big of a star as Griezmann. Griezmann is even huge on Instagram because he connects with the younger generation and all the bizarre fortnite stuff. The World Cup also really helped where he played really well.

barca are in debt and will need to shed salary, if an offer came for Griezmann they would absolute take it as his wages are insane. However he’s having his best season with Barca yet, and has had more goals than anyone else in la liga since the new year. I do agree that he hasn’t lived up to his contract overall. However even with the debt Barca will still be going for some signings but they won’t be superstar signings until they off-load Some contracts. However, the point of a lot of these recent pages in this topic is that Barca’s financial troubles comes far more from Griezmann, coutinho, Umtiti, than it does from Messi who still turns them a profit every year.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Costed around 1.5 billions after taxes in 4 yrs

- €555,237,619 contract [4 years].
- €138m per season fixed + variables.
- €115,225,000 as ‘renewal fee’ just for accepting the contract.
- €77,929,955 loyalty bonus.
It is surely before tax?? :confused:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

It's definitely a difficult situation but it's not like saving money is necessarily the way to go for them. Getting Messi's salary off the books is one thing and it would've helped enormously during the lockdowns when many income streams were idling but it won't really help you recovering since he promises a return on the investment and you'd first find a reliable way to spend 130+m € annualy with a similar return. That's probably also why they were so keen on keeping him: It's much easier to rebuild as long as you can plan with such a cash cow.

He'll leave a void when he's gone, not only on the pitch but also marketing wise. This alone means they'll have to bring in a player or two. Barca needs to please their sponsors and partners, they need to rekindle fan engagement after such a blow, they need to find a way to spend those 100+m per year with a similar return.

Moreover, the accounting perspective is also quite interesting and few people really get it from my experience. Fees are no costs, they're activated and then deprecated over the contract duration. Which means, if they sign for example Sancho for 100m €, they'd "only" pay 20m € in the first year for him. Simultaneously, they could sell a player who's been at the club for a few years, meaning he's got low book value, and make profit from him. That's probably also why they won't sell somebody like Griezmann. If they paid 120m € for him and gave him a 5 year contract, he'd still be worth 96m € in the books. Which means, if they sold him for 80m € (still a huge sum), they'd actually lose money in the balance sheet. So getting him off the books might make things worse for them. It's the Arthur/Pjanic situation all over again.

I believe I'd try to move on some of the older players. They can't be picky really, if they find a way to sell a player who's on a huge salary and has a low book value - probably guys like Piqué, Busquets, Umtiti, etc. - they more or less have to do it. They should fill the voids they leave with academy products instead of buying squad players. Then try to land one marquee signing, like Sancho.

flappyjay

Manutd shirt sales 18/19 - 3.25m

Barcelona shirt sales 18/19 - 1.925m

Manutd average annual shirt sales 11-16 - 1.75m

Barcelona average shirt sale 11-16 - 1.27m
Adidas better come correct on our next deal. The 75m we get looks bad deal now. We are stuck on it for another 4 years. We should have put a variance clause on the contract, and have it reviewed at the half way point. 10 years is a long time. I mean the fecks threaten to reduce what they pay if we miss out on ucl. Looking at what Barca and madrid get Woody got taken to the cleaners on this one.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I have read the article and I will say it again. Attributing an arbitrary figure as the amount of Money X player has brought in is foolish. Even more foolish when the said player has been there 15 years.
Saying that, there is no doubt Messi has had an impact on Barca's value. He is arguably the GOAT. For me, this is all about finance and accounting.
€550,000,000 over four years is beyond what is reasonable imo. Not because Messi isn't worth it but because it is quite obvious a club that looks to live within its means can simply not afford it.
Yes, you can't say Messi's contract has cratered Barca but is is a contributing factor. Messi is a big reason why the others earn such inflated amounts.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Manutd shirt sales 18/19 - 3.25m

Barcelona shirt sales 18/19 - 1.925m

Manutd average annual shirt sales 11-16 - 1.75m

Barcelona average shirt sale 11-16 - 1.27m

I think the growth of football has been ignored in terms of kit sales. Despite Manutd not being as successful, they are selling almost 1.5m more shirts than they did on average back when they last won the PL. In 18/19, what star players did we really have? Pogba? That is about it. There were no other big names in the team. Manutd shirts sell more than when even Ronaldo played for them and they won the CL.

I'm not saying that Messi wouldn't be their most popular name on a shirt, but how much of that growth in shirt sales would have seen anyway? It sort of brings into question how much not having his name available would affect shirt sales. Would they just buy then nameless if he wasn't there? There is a massive assumption here of no Messi = no shirt sale.

What this is also saying is that (according to 18/19 revenues) Barcelona, without Messi, would have dropped to 6th in revenue of club from 1st. It will be below R Madrid, Manutd, Bayern, PSG, Man City, and Liverpool. They wouldn't have much more revenue than Tottenham Hotspur. This doesn't make a lot of sense considering Barcelona have been successful recently and have the estimated third-biggest fanbase in the world. Have they really tied so much of their revenue to one player? Would they really have lost 30% without him?

If this was true that they tied so much revenue to him, that sounds like short-term management thinking to me.
I believe you're making some very valid arguments. Especially the part with the numbers suggesting Barca's revenue would drop to Tottenham levels got me reconsidering. However, I still think there are some dynamics you're missing.

According to the Deloitte Football Money League, Barca generated 690m € in 2019 (#2 behind Real Madrid (750m) and ahead of United (666m). If Messi accounted for 30% of that revenue, this would mean he generated 207m €. The leak suggests Messi earns max. 555m € over the course of 5 years. Assuming he gets paid the full sum, this would mean roughly 111m € per year.
Now, if you'd subtract those 207m from the overall revenue of 690m, you'd be at 483m €. This would mean Barca would drop to #8, between Arsenal (439) and Chelsea (506).

This seems very harsh. Even without Messi, Barca should comfortably outperform those clubs. However, what you're not considering is the annual budget of 111m € reserved for Messi's wages. Basically, you assume they'd spent those 111m € on something else but get nothing in return. Just by considering a terrible return on investment of 100% (revenues equal costs), it would elevate Barca to 594m €, earning them the 4th spot between Bayern (629) and City (568). Assuming that they can invest those 111m € more profitably, they probably even beat Bayern for 3rd - even without him.

This seems very reasonable to me and is more in line with the shirt sales figures you posted above. After all, Barcelona was comfortably behind Real Madrid and Manchester United in pre-Messi days.

So the key are opportunity costs. If Messi generates 207m and costs 111m, he promises an return on investment of 186%. That's gigantic. Barca would have a hard time finding another investment opportunity in which they can dump 111m € and get 207m out of it. Moreover, the conditions in terms of scheduling of payments and returns are very favorable for them. In many scenarios a company invests such sums at the start of a project and hope to generate a profit on their investments over the course of multiple years. Those 111m € on the other hand are largely due on a monthly basis and the returns are flowing in week after week after week. In cash flow context, they don't really have to go into "prepayment". Especially regarding things like the liquidity, this is an immense advantage. If they'd sign a player for 80m and pay him 30m over 3 years, it would strain their liquidity much more.

This means he's an incredible cash cow for them. One they should milk for as long as possible. Considering those numbers it even makes sense that they kept him against his will.

And what's also to consider: Barca's brand grew incredibly during Messi's career. They got to where they are because they capitalized on having one of the best players in history at their club for 15 years. United's growth IMO is much more sustainable because the philosophy "nobody is greater than the club" is ingrained much more deeply. I believe a huge part of Barcelona's international following actually consists of Messi fans. This cult is also somewhat representative of their club philosophy. They always admired individuals and usually had this one star player who outshone everybody else: Cruyff, Maradona, Laudrup, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Romario, Ronaldinho, Messi.

I have read the article and I will say it again. Attributing an arbitrary figure as the amount of Money X player has brought in is foolish. Even more foolish when the said player has been there 15 years.
Saying that, there is no doubt Messi has had an impact on Barca's value. He is arguably the GOAT. For me, this is all about finance and accounting.
€550,000,000 over four years is beyond what is reasonable imo. Not because Messi isn't worth it but because it is quite obvious a club that looks to live within its means can simply not afford it.
Yes, you can't say Messi's contract has cratered Barca but is is a contributing factor. Messi is a big reason why the others earn such inflated amounts.
I believe the above also covers your points, so feel free to address :)

Supports
England
Yes, that weird exercise thing that Ronaldo does and very few other players do. Definitely comparable with being prescribed human growth hormones as a teenager.
Cheers for saving me making this point, mate.

Supports
England
He would have a been a "Small person". Hormone replacement therapy doesnt give you any advantage, ýou are just ingesting what you are naturally unable to produce.
The hypothetical was him now versus if he had never needed it. I'm aware of the medical necessity.

It's a lot more complicated than you're making out. I'm in biomed: I know my endocrinology. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had conferred upon him permanent benefits beyond merely controlling for his issues (and that's assuming he's not still using it, which isn't actually public knowledge).

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The hypothetical was him now versus if he had never needed it. I'm aware of the medical necessity.

It's a lot more complicated than you're making out. I'm in biomed: I know my endocrinology. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had conferred upon him permanent benefits beyond merely controlling for his issues (and that's assuming he's not still using it, which isn't actually public knowledge).
Time to get my kid on hormone therapy so he can earn half a billion bucks in 20 years time.

lysglimt

Scout
Of course this is just an estimate but:

DDG, Pogba, Maguire, Fernandes, Mata, Bruno, Shaw, Rashford, Cavani, Martial, Lindelof, Fred, AWB and Henderson - combined apparently earn about £2.7 million a week

Multiply that by 52 weeks over 4 years and you get about £560 million

I know Messi is better than our players but he has made as as much as roughly our 14 highest earners combined. Just to put it into perspective. He earns more than the entire Liverpool-side combined. He must go down in history as the best and most selfish player ever. Just to get the salary he wants, he is willing to run his club into bankruptcy - and evey worse, he makes so much that the majority of his teammates probably don't even have 5% of his total salary.

Edit: I just notice that the amount was in Euro - so maybe just as much as 11-12 of our players then :)

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

DDG, Pogba, Maguire, Fernandes, Mata, Bruno, Shaw, Rashford, Cavani, Martial, Lindelof, Fred, AWB and Henderson - combined apparently earn about £2.7 million a week

I know Messi is better than our players but he has made as as much as roughly our 14 highest earners combined. Just to put it into perspective. He earns more than the entire Liverpool-side combined. He must go down in history as the best and most selfish player ever. Just to get the salary he wants, he is willing to run his club into bankruptcy - and evey worse, he makes so much that the majority of his teammates probably don't even have 5% of his total salary.
:lol:
In what way is he selfish? He can command any wage he wants not to mention his name alone brings in millions to the club because of his large following. Find it even more hillarious how the same people who criticize Messi have been justifying Ronaldo's Juve transfer/salary.

MrEleson

Find it even more hillarious how the same people who criticize Messi have been justifying Ronaldo's Juve transfer/salary.
Huh? Ronaldo’s Juve salary isn’t even half of Messi’s alleged leaked contract.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Huh? Ronaldo’s Juve salary isn’t even half of Messi’s alleged leaked contract.
He cost's juve $70mil a year - that's just his contract add in all the bonus clauses and you're probably looking at over $100mil.

RedDevil@84

Edit: I just notice that the amount was in Euro - so maybe just as much as 11-12 of our players then :)
Don't get the selfish part. Barca says "let's talk a new deal". Messi says "550M or I walk". Barca says "Yes" when they could have shown him the middle finger.
How did you figure out that Messi was selfish? I know fans like fawn over the "loyalty" thing. But modern day footballers are not the ones that would say "Hey!! You pay me whatever you want. I just want to serve the club"

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Don't get the selfish part. Barca says "let's talk a new deal". Messi says "550M or I walk". Barca says "Yes" when they could have shown him the middle finger.
How did you figure out that Messi was selfish? I know fans like fawn over the "loyalty" thing. But modern day footballers are not the ones that would say "Hey!! You pay me whatever you want. I just want to serve the club"
I'm always on the side of players when it comes to contracts. By all means, get the most money you can in your limited time playing because tomorrow could be a career-ending injury. If Barcelona were willing to pay that amount, it's not a senseless decision, it's calculated and guided by a concept of return on investment, which Messi easily generates for the club. The problem is when you have a once-in-a-generation (hopefully) pandemic that completely destroys the economy that the club depends on for the math to make sense.

There's nothing selfish about what Messi did, or any player out there trying to get the max amount of money they can get; it's just business and some fans are naive if they don't think clubs try everything they can to screw the players from maximizing their value/income.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm always on the side of players when it comes to contracts. By all means, get the most money you can in your limited time playing because tomorrow could be a career-ending injury. If Barcelona were willing to pay that amount, it's not a senseless decision, it's calculated and guided by a concept of return on investment, which Messi easily generates for the club. The problem is when you have a once-in-a-generation (hopefully) pandemic that completely destroys the economy that the club depends on for the math to make sense.

There's nothing selfish about what Messi did, or any player out there trying to get the max amount of money they can get; it's just business and some fans are naive if they don't think clubs try everything they can to screw the players from maximizing their value/income.
100% agree. The club should have minimize risk, they decided to pay more than what they could afford.
Unless... if it's a case like Bale. There's definitely something selfish about it, 50-50, both are at fault.

lysglimt

Scout
Normally I would agree with you - but when you make €550 M over 4 years knowing that you make so much that your teammates will have to make a lot less - and when you make so much money that you know you will create financial problems for your own club - then you are selfish.

I mean for christs sake - the guy proably makes more than the rest of the Barcelona-team combined. That is being selfish

RedDevil@84

Normally I would agree with you - but when you make €550 M over 4 years knowing that you make so much that your teammates will have to make a lot less - and when you make so much money that you know you will create financial problems for your own club - then you are selfish.

I mean for christs sake - the guy proably makes more than the rest of the Barcelona-team combined. That is being selfish
I would believe Barca agreed to the obscenity because they though the return on investment will be good to cover it. They probably thought adding a few big money players on top of it will ensure success in league and CL and they can make money of Messi and others in different ways.
But things did not go well even before the pandemic struck and then it went completely downhill.

I don't think it is relevant how much Messi valued himself. What is relevant is Barca agreed to it.

RUCK4444

He’s a selfish poison dwarf... holds his club to ransom forcing new leadership of the club and making the future of the club entirely about him.

It takes a special kind of Cnut to act this way knowing how much they are adored and how much influence you have over the club itself.

Usually I’m all for players getting as much as they can, whatever somebody is willing to pay defines its worth. However this is different, his influence over the club and how it is run is the driving factor which dictates what he’s paid and also how the structure of the club hierarchy is selected (as seen by the “if I’m voted in I’ll make sure we keep Messi” nonsense)... I mean it’s mind boggling when you think of it.

Legends bow out gracefully. Look at Ronaldo, wins everything at Madrid, worldwide icon, just a simple tweet, a tip of the cap and he’s on his way. What Messi is doing is a disgrace.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He wasn’t even remotely interested in the leadership of the club. This entire personality is focussed upon how much money he can rinse from Barcelona before he chucks it.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He’s a selfish poison dwarf... holds his club to ransom forcing new leadership of the club and making the future of the club entirely about him.

It takes a special kind of Cnut to act this way knowing how much they are adored and how much influence you have over the club itself.

Usually I’m all for players getting as much as they can, whatever somebody is willing to pay defines its worth. However this is different, his influence over the club and how it is run is the driving factor which dictates what he’s paid and also how the structure of the club hierarchy is selected (as seen by the “if I’m voted in I’ll make sure we keep Messi” nonsense)... I mean it’s mind boggling when you think of it.

Legends bow out gracefully. Look at Ronaldo, wins everything at Madrid, worldwide icon, just a simple tweet, a tip of the cap and he’s on his way. What Messi is doing is a disgrace.
You realize Ronaldo left because of a financial dispute right? This is such a dumb take considering the reason he left were because Perez wouldn’t bow to his contract demands.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

uh No, wtf :

https://fcbarcelonalatestnews.com/fc-barcelona-players-wages/

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Yep

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
If those figures are right then no wonder Barca are on the brink financially. What a feck-up. 880k/week for Griezman? 400k/week de Jong. This is hard to believe.
Exactly. The other poor contracts for players who don’t even perform close to their wages is the bigger issue, not Messi. Mismanagement from the Neymar sale was where Barca screwed up outside of dembele. Griezmann is having a good season but his salary is still too high. Coutinho and umtiti are ridiculous wages. Fdj is amazing so no worries there.

kopviolator

Exactly. The other poor contracts for players who don’t even perform close to their wages is the bigger issue, not Messi. Mismanagement from the Neymar sale was where Barca screwed up outside of dembele. Griezmann is having a good season but his salary is still too high. Coutinho and umtiti are ridiculous wages. Fdj is amazing so no worries there.
But you don't know exactly what you're gonna get when you're negotiating with these players, Coutinho is the best example of that. There is no reason for Barcelona, seen by many as a pinnacle in world club football, to pay such salaries for fdj a twenty one year old kid or something like that. And of course Messi is a problem. Not only his wages but his influences in the twilight of his career over there. There is a build up required and a new team can't be built around Messi. There also needs to be available some money to do this.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
But you don't know exactly what you're gonna get when you're negotiating with these players, Coutinho is the best example of that. There is no reason for Barcelona, seen by many as a pinnacle in world club football, to pay such salaries for fdj a twenty one year old kid or something like that. And of course Messi is a problem. Not only his wages but his influences in the twilight of his career over there. There is a build up required and a new team can't be built around Messi. There also needs to be available some money to do this.
fdj salary is a lot but absolutely worth it. He’s an amazing player having a career year so far. Not signing coutinho, umtiti and Griezmann is nearly 400 million right there factoring in transfer fees and wages. The available money was wasted. Not on Messi but on others. Every big club outside of Bayern is going to be paying their players a ton of money. Barca just did it to way more players. Messi’s salary is not the issue, as I’ve said countless times, it’s the bad signings that hurt them far more. Players like de Jong are worth it. He’ll be a top 5 midfielder in the world if he isn’t already.

kopviolator

fdj salary is a lot but absolutely worth it. He’s an amazing player having a career year so far. Not signing coutinho, umtiti and Griezmann is nearly 400 million right there factoring in transfer fees and wages. The available money was wasted. Not on Messi but on others. Every big club outside of Bayern is going to be paying their players a ton of money. Barca just did it to way more players. Messi’s salary is not the issue, as I’ve said countless times, it’s the bad signings that hurt them far more. Players like de Jong are worth it. He’ll be a top 5 midfielder in the world if he isn’t already.
It's bad business is what it is. Dembele could have been worth it. Coutinho could have been worth it. It's a gamble and it doesn't always pay off. If fdj is worth his 400k/week now - when he is not one of the top five midfielders in the world, then how much will Barca be forced to pay him at his contract renewal? What if he get's injured? Or just fails to live up to the expectations? DDG was considered by most United fans as the best in the world three years ago. We just couldn't pay him enough to keep him. And now he's seen by many as a liability, earning 350k/week and impossible to get rid of. Anyway, to my mind this is just bonkers.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It's bad business is what it is. Dembele could have been worth it. Coutinho could have been worth it. It's a gamble and it doesn't always pay off. If fdj is worth his 400k/week now - when he is not one of the top five midfielders in the world, then how much will Barca be forced to pay him at his contract renewal? What if he get's injured? Or just fails to live up to the expectations? DDG was considered by most United fans as the best in the world three years ago. We just couldn't pay him enough to keep him. And now he's seen by many as a liability, earning 350k/week and impossible to get rid of. Anyway, to my mind this is just bonkers.
when you sign a player you have to do your homework on whether the player is worth that risk or not. Coutinho and Griezmann both play at their best in the same position as Messi. That was never going to work. That was a failure on the technical staff. Barca had no direction or vision these last few years. But Messi’s contract wasn’t one of them. This is the last year of his deal and he’s been beyond superb for Barca overall since signing that deal.

As for fdj post pandemic it will be interesting to see what happens with contracts. Neymar’s transfer inflated the market but assuming Laporta takes over he won’t be handing out as many foolish contracts. FDJ still has several years left on his deal, Barca will cross that bridge when the time comes. His play this season has us fans very excited for his future.