Lionel Messi is OFFICIALLY the Greatest Player of all Time (CONFIRMED OFFICIAL)

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
GOAT. No point even discussing this anymore. His club career was already the best that there has ever been in terms of club trophies won, individual honours, personal records, goalscoring (most goals scored for 1 single club in football history), most recorded assists, his insane individual brilliance, unmatched top level stats wise, insane 1.5 decade longevity etc. Nobody has the full package in this regard.

Only thing that was lacking was international achievements for Argentina. An Argentina that until the Copa América win in 2021 had to wait 28 years (1993) to win a single official trophy again.

So Messi has a World Cup win with Argentina, World Cup 2014 silver medal, record 98 goals for Argentina (nobody is even close to him), record amount of World Cup and Copa América goals combined, most goals in both tournaments of all in Argentina's history, 13 FIFA World Cup goals (the record goal scorer Klose has just 3 more goals), record amount of World Cup matches played in history (26), 2 best World Cup player of the tournament awards (2014, 2022), most assists in the World Cup, most assists in the knockout stages in the World Cup, only player to score in the Group Stage, Round 16, Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Final in a single World Cup (while winning it too), winning arguably the most insane World Cup final in history, Copa América 2021 win, 2022 Finalissima win against Italy, Olympic Gold Medal in 2008, 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship win, several times player of the tournament in numerous Copa América tournaments, 6 finals reached (World Cup + Copa América) in total etc.

I probably forgot a lot more.

End of debate and great to see C. Ronaldo and RM fanboys crying online.:lol:

Special mention to @SportingCP96 :lol: Commiserations.

Last edited:

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Messi lasting memory will be him lifting the world cup for his country.

Ronaldo lasting memory will be him bitching to Piers fecking Morgan :lol:
Not yet my friend…I can foresee CR41 for WC2026!

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
It does help when VAR even gifts him offside goals.

But it is what it is, based on his achievements, he's GOAT, there I said it, happy?
It really doesn't matter, he could have carried the ball into the net and it wouldn't change the fact he won the WC. :(

Congrats to Argentinian Caftards and the Messi brigade.

I'm going to avoid football for a while.
Fair play Cal?

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
One of the great things about football is that for all people are saying they'll never see someone as good as Messi again, they probably will.

People said the same about Pele/Maradona and will be saying the same about some other player within the next 30-40 years too. Imagine how good that guy will be. :drool:

Waynne

Has Ronaldo even congratulated Messi and the Argentinian team?

ghpdoat

He surely is the GHPDOAT - the great Harry Potter double of all time in a world cup final!

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's the only player with an objective debate. Maradona too, but lesser so IMO.
Maradona's WC performance was better though. It's difficult to say who is definitively the best and will come down to personal preference. Pelé, Maradona and now Messi are in a tier of their own, and in that order imo.

JBD-dane

It's like election!
You have the Ronaldo/Messi camp and a few people that really move on this event.

diarm

My mate just showed me his betting slip from 2 months ago, where he had Messi to score in every game and Argentina to win.

That penalty miss against Poland has cost him €700.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Don't know if he's the greatest of all time, started watching football on 2005 and I don't have time to watch old matches

He's definitely the greatest I've ever seen though.

So far.

Eddy_JukeZ

Maradona's WC performance was better though. It's difficult to say who is definitively the best and will come down to personal preference. Pelé, Maradona and now Messi are in a tier of their own, and in that order imo.
Maradona was better in 86, but that's also his peak.

Messi is not at his peak at 35. He was a much better player 10 years ago or even 5 years ago which is insane to say, but just goes to show how gargantuan his talents are.

Oranges038

From scrawny little kid to world cup winner and everything else in between, to possibly the greatest player ever, if it were a Disney movie you wouldn't believe it.

Aside from 2 CL finals it's just a joy to have watched him play for the last 15/16 years. Most of us will probably never see a better player in our lives.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Maradona was better in 86, but that's also his peak.

Messi is not at his peak at 35. He was a much better player 10 years ago or even 5 years ago which is insane to say, but just goes to show how gargantuan his talents are.
That's true, but I think this version of Messi suited this Argentina team perfectly. It really all came together at the right time.

He's settled the Ronaldo v Messi debate but Maradona is still the greatest ever. Dominated the World Cup, dominated the final, and achieved a remarkable feat at Napoli. Maradona top with Pele and Messi rounding out the podium.

The Oracle

Even as a Utd fan I agree. No more CR7 talk for me now.

Eddy_JukeZ

That's true, but I think this version of Messi suited this Argentina team perfectly. It really all came together at the right time.
I think this version was perfect for them and it did finally come together at the right time for Messi at the WC.

It's absurd, but he had his best ever WC at the age of 35. Remarkable. He's by far the best 35 year old ever. Unless I'm missing someone obvious, I don't think anyone at his age could have done what he just did(and he's been amazing for PSG this season too).

Pocho

It really doesn't matter, he could have carried the ball into the net and it wouldn't change the fact he won the WC. :(

Congrats to Argentinian Caftards and the Messi brigade.

I'm going to avoid football for a while.
We still love you, you’ve been a great contender for almost ten years.

Malone_Post

People who take no pleasure from watching Messi play must live the most miserable of lives.

Imagine living through this era, being able to watch one of the greatest ever sporting icons produce magic moments on an almost weekly basis. Being able to watch history in the making, and rather then just enjoying it and realising how lucky we are to have lived through it…spending that whole time trying to argue that he’s actually not that good. Or that X Y Z are better because of this that or the other. Just enjoy it, embrace it, live it. Because we won’t see anything like it again for a long long time.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I know it sounds cheesy but o doubt I'll get to watch a player of his quality ever again, football seems to have moved on from fostering such unbridled talent, instead you get coached to death.

Or maybe ill be wrong and we see another goat contender in 20/30 years time the same the same way we did with pele to Maradona and finally to Messi.

diarm

There were times when good Argentina sides suffered, from trying to play everything through a Messi at the peak of his powers. Opponents knew they could focus on him and negate the team somewhat.

As he has slowed a touch, and become a player who relies more on his superb passing and footballing intelligence, the team and balance has improved around him even as his powers diminished a bit.

It’s fantastic to see him win it. We’ve been privileged to watch him grace pitches for the last 20 years and his legacy will be richer and more fitting having included the biggest trophy of all.

The Oracle

From scrawny little kid to world cup winner and everything else in between, to possibly the greatest player ever, if it were a Disney movie you wouldn't believe it.

Aside from 2 CL finals it's just a joy to have watched him play for the last 15/16 years. Most of us will probably never see a better player in our lives.
Yeah I certainly would have been much happier to see Utd get at least one of them, maybe more so the one in '09 as it meant we would have been the first team to win back to back Champions Leagues... at least now we can say we were up against one of the greatest players of all time (if we weren't already saying it at the time)

Zen

People laughed at me when I suggested Messi would continue to 2026.... the flirtation with the idea has already started. No pressure to win anymore. Just walk and do magic when they get the ball to him, in America, Argentina are probably the only elite team that an MLS player could get away with actually ending up in the squad for too.

Get my ticket booked for that World Cup.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I think this version was perfect for them and it did finally come together at the right time for Messi at the WC.

It's absurd, but he had his best ever WC at the age of 35. Remarkable. He's by far the best 35 year old ever. Unless I'm missing someone obvious, I don't think anyone at his age could have done what he just did(and he's been amazing for PSG this season too).
Modric hasn't been pretty amazing, Ronaldo was still decent at 35, then you have someone like Robben who didn't even seem to lose any pace.

Cassanata99

I know it sounds cheesy but o doubt I'll get to watch a player of his quality ever again, football seems to have moved on from fostering such unbridled talent, instead you get coached to death.

Or maybe ill be wrong and we see another goat contender in 20/30 years time the same the same way we did with pele to Maradona and finally to Messi.
We will definitely see another player who matches the quality of Messi, just as Messi matched Maradona, and Maradona matched Pele. That's the great thing about sport - it goes on and continues to evolve. There's plenty of talent out there.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Even as a Utd fan I agree. No more CR7 talk for me now.
Ronaldo's stocks are pretty low now because of the whole situation at United, but he's had a wonderful career and is within the GOAT'S. Messi has just pulled away which isn't anything to be ashamed of.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
So you've got Messi ahead of Pele now? I remember in the top 30 positional voting done on the cafe a few years ago, you had Pele ahead of Messi for the top 30 forwards.
Yes, by a whisker. He was close, but some of the voids in his resumé vis-à-vis Pelé gave me pause (and others too, no doubt...who had lingering hesitiations regarding the legitimacy of such a claim). Messi needed to do a bit more with Argentina (as a supreme inspirational presence, someone whose genius resonated with his team-mates and pushed them over the edge) to match or overcome the greatest international footballer of all time (as well as one of the greatest club footballers of all time when you look at mid 1950s to late 1960s Santos). And he's done exactly that — winning the 2021 Copa América (as the official Best Player) and the 2022 World Cup (as the official Best Player, again...while establishing all sorts of historically significant records) since that list was made. Framing him as the top forward of all time is much easier now, as some of the missing narrative strings (from back then) can be neatly tied together.
What about Pelé? Also perfect goalscorer., dribbler and playmaker rolled into one.
Pelé was notoriously complete, too. High-volume and crunch-time scorer, ridiculously effective ball-carrier, and oh-so intelligent in terms of offensive passing and general link-up play. But Messi is slightly better, less clunkier and more technically refined, in my subjective opinion. Others might disagree and highlight Pelé's dynamism in most phases of the game (somewhat akin to Griezmann from this World Cup) or specific features like devastating heading ability (where he was up there with Sándor Kocsis, Uwe Seeler or Gerd Müller for aerially supreme attackers from the time) to make a stronger case for him, and that's fine — these were two anomalistic forwards (comparable in terms of overall efficaciousness but quite dissimilar from a stylistic perspective). All things considered: Pelé was the Messi of his era, and Messi is the Pelé of his era; two peas in a pod. :)

Oranges038

Yeah I certainly would have been much happier to see Utd get at least one of them, maybe more so the one in '09 as it meant we would have been the first team to win back to back Champions Leagues... at least now we can say we were up against one of the greatest players of all time (if we weren't already saying it at the time)
The most sickening thing about that 09 final is that Utd should have had 1 or 2 goals before Barca even got a sniff.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Finally the WC argument can't be used anymore.
It's clear watching him he's the GOAT. I hated seeing this hang over his head anytime people wanted to say otherwise. So happy he now has his world cup to prove the doubters wrong.