Lionel Messi is OFFICIALLY the Greatest Player of all Time (CONFIRMED OFFICIAL)

VP

You have to almost feel sorry for the Ronaldo fanboys like @Cal? and @SportingCP96 who have spent so much time and energy in a debate that has got shredded in a matter of minutes.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You have to almost feel sorry for the Ronaldo fanboys like @Cal? and @SportingCP96 who have spent so much time and energy in a debate that has got shredded in a matter of minutes.
Tbf we don't know the debate has been shredded. Someone should re-open the Messi v Ronaldo poll so we can see. :angel:

dinostar77

Fantastic game and fitting end to his career. Messi was already one of the all time greats so now he has that monkey off his back.

I dont subscribe to the GOAT rubbish as football is too complex for such reductive junk.

What a journey though for messi. That was emotional to sew him lift it.

Eddy_JukeZ

It is, still. That's the nature of the beast, I suppose. The margins are soo fine and unquantifiable at the very top that you can have a preference for one or other while maintaining an air of reasonability. But someone who reckons Messi is the absolute greatest can now make exceptionally strong and objective arguments for practically every metric of greatness (maybe the strongest of all). Personally speaking, yes — he is the greatest and the best, by a slight but poignant margin. Just so complete in that he could score at a similar rate to Müller or Cristiano, dribble at a comparable level to Maradona or Best when they were on song, and slice open opposition defenses with an offensive passing range that rivaled the likes of Laudrup or Zico. No one else was as mindbogglingly good when you combine all three aspects of attacking play. When you consider that component with his legacy as the leading edge of one of the most fearsome and iconic teams of all time, personal and collective accomplishments (with this World Cup and the Golden Ball being the cherries on top), and staggering longevity (the wee fella has been the best or one of the very best for 15 years now), it's as close as you can get to an ironclad case. Then you have Mr. Pelé, the former “greatest footballer of all time” — the unsurpassed benchmark for half-a-century. Followed by Maradona, another “greatest footballer of all time” candidate and arguably the most profound talent in the history of the sport. And finally the duo of Beckenbauer and Di Stéfano to round off the subjective Top 5.

P.S. Cristiano is thereabouts too. Ditto Cruyff. Didn't mean to disparage him (or them). All of these were era-defining titans, no doubt about that — just ahead of Puskás, Platini, Baresi, Zico, Fenômeno, Xavi, Meazza, Best, Müller, Garrincha, Eusébio, van Basten, Zidane, Maldini, Charlton, Matthäus and other wonderful, wonderful masters of football.
Great write-up.

So you've got Messi ahead of Pele now? I remember in the top 30 positional voting done on the cafe a few years ago, you had Pele ahead of Messi for the top 30 forwards.

I've always docked Messi a bit in the argument vs Pele/Maradona, because of the lack of great performances at the WC. I never needed Argentina to win the WC, but I wanted to see him drive a team forward at the World Cup with performances that galvanize an entire nation. And he finally did that. Hindsight is 20-20, but I'm pretty sure the majority of Argentinians were way more confident beating France today than they were vs Germany in 2014. I'm not going to attribute all of that entirely to Messi, but his role can't ignored either.

Still find it hard to pick 1 player as the best, but Messi objectively does have the best argument.

CoopersDream

Hard to argue against now that he has had that World Cup apart from also being one of the best goalscorers of all time as well as one of the best playmakers of all time. Ronaldo is barely even in the same tier anymore, let alone greater.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Aside from the GOAT debate, it's just rare for a football career to have such neat narrative.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
You can't call Messi the GOAT because of one match, when he didn't even score a great goal in the final. He wasn't even the best player in the match.

That being said be is the Greatest of all Time.

tothetop96

There's no argument for anybody bar Messi being the GOAT, and there wasn't before this world cup either. World cups are massively important for countries and players really want to win them, but the quality of a champions league is higher. This idea that you have to win the WC to be the GOAT is nonsense. That's my two cents

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You can't call Messi the GOAT because of one match, when he didn't even score a great goal in the final. He wasn't even the best player in the match.

That being said be is the Greatest of all Time.
Except he was the best player in the final? He scored two, played a lovely pass for another and created so much from the middle of the park - he pretty much had a good game for the entire 120 (probably excluding a stretch of 10-15 mind where ARG were stunned)

But yeah it's silly to base anything off one game.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There's no argument for anybody bar Messi being the GOAT, and there wasn't before this world cup either. World cups are massively important for countries and players really want to win them, but the quality of a champions league is higher. This idea that you have to win the WC to be the GOAT is nonsense. That's my two cents
Yep, it's definitely nonsense. Aside from anything else, it would mean a player would be precluded from being the greatest if they happened to be born in a weak enough country.

In this case winning the WC just means that one of the worst arguments against this particular player isn't a thing any more. If Argentina had lost that penalty shoot-out, Messi would still be the same player.

TsuWave

Always liked him, just don't like the dickriding contest everyone's itching to engage in when his name gets mentioned. People rightly make fun of Piers when it comes to Ronaldo - but Lineker has been as nauseating when speaking about Messi.

Shai-Hulud

It's settled. I hope Ronaldo and his fanboys cry themselves to sleep tonight.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I know people say “he didn’t really need this if you know your football” and yes, that’s likely true, but he did kind of need it for the wider narrative, as it would always be something brought up, because these types of debates are boring and subjective and arbitrary a lot of the timeZ

The good thing is its now basically a completely clean, closed debate.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It is, still. That's the nature of the beast, I suppose. The margins are soo fine and unquantifiable at the very top that you can have a preference for one or other while maintaining an air of reasonability. But someone who reckons Messi is the absolute greatest can now make exceptionally strong and objective arguments for practically every metric of greatness (maybe the strongest of all). Personally speaking, yes — he is the greatest and the best, by a slight but poignant margin. Just so complete in that he could score at a similar rate to Müller or Cristiano, dribble at a comparable level to Maradona or Best when they were on song, and slice open opposition defenses with an offensive passing range that rivaled the likes of Laudrup or Zico. No one else was as mindbogglingly good when you combine all three aspects of attacking play. When you consider that component with his legacy as the leading edge of one of the most fearsome and iconic teams of all time, personal and collective accomplishments (with this World Cup and the Golden Ball being the cherries on top), and staggering longevity (the wee fella has been the best or one of the very best for 15 years now), it's as close as you can get to an ironclad case. Then you have Mr. Pelé, the former “greatest footballer of all time” — the unsurpassed benchmark for half-a-century. Followed by Maradona, another “greatest footballer of all time” candidate and arguably the most profound talent in the history of the sport. And finally the duo of Beckenbauer and Di Stéfano to round off the subjective Top 5.

P.S. Cristiano is thereabouts too. Ditto Cruyff. Didn't mean to disparage him (or them). All of these were era-defining titans, no doubt about that — just ahead of Puskás, Platini, Baresi, Zico, Fenômeno, Xavi, Meazza, Best, Müller, Garrincha, Eusébio, van Basten, Zidane, Maldini, Charlton, Matthäus and other wonderful, wonderful masters of football.
What about Pelé? Also perfect goalscorer., dribbler and playmaker rolled into one.

Cal?

CR7 fan
It does help when VAR even gifts him offside goals.

But it is what it is, based on his achievements, he's GOAT, there I said it, happy?

wangyu

He finally raised himself to the level of pele, maradona, bald ronaldo, ronaldinho, zidane and guivar’ch

Revan

Assumptionman
As @Invictus said, what makes him eligible for GOAT debate apart from his accomplishments are, are his talent as a player. He is arguably the greatest goal scorer, dribbler and playmaker of all time, all rolled into one.
Add to that, he is one of the most decorated players ever, having won: 1 World Cup, 1 Continental Cup, 4 UCLs, 11 league titles (will be 12 in a few months), 7 National Cups, 7 Ballon D'Ors, 2 World Cup Golden Balls, 6 European Golden Shoes. He is the highest assist maker in the history of football and the third top scorer (with less than 30 goals than the top one so has a chance of finishing first).

With all respect to Maradona and Pele, Messi is on another level to them.

For me it is:

Tier GOAT: Messi
Tier 1: Pele, Maradona
Tier 2: Cristiano (could be argued to be in Tier 1), Di Stefano, Cruyff
Tier 3: Beckenbauer, Platini, Best, Puskas, Ronaldo
Tier 4: Zidane, Eusebio, Charlton, Van Basten, Muller and a few others.

With regards to Messi vs Maradona, Messi is essentially Maradona, but with 3 times as many goals, more assists, and a dozen more top-tier trophies.

Last edited:

Fooza

It'll now be Pele, Maradona and Messi mentioned for years to come. The world cup seals that, Ronaldo fell short. Witnessing a 'Maradona' in Messi in my generation is something I will cherish. GOAT

Gehrman

It does help when VAR even gifts him offside goals.

But it is what it is, based on his achievements, he's GOAT, there I said it, happy?
What offside goals? They had like 4 offside goals disallowed in a row vs Saudi Arabia

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm never going to watch this match or any highlights of it ever, I thought his tap-in was offside, but frankly don't care.
No need to think that anymore, it wasn't offside.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Messi lasting memory will be him lifting the world cup for his country.

Ronaldo lasting memory will be him bitching to Piers fecking Morgan :lol:

Gehrman

I'm never going to watch this match or any highlights of it ever, I thought his tap-in was offside, but frankly don't care.
Nopes in our screen they showed it clearly in animation. It clearly wasnt.