Lionel Messi is OFFICIALLY the Greatest Player of all Time (CONFIRMED OFFICIAL)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
2012 Calendar season club
Ronaldo app 58 a11 g58
Messi app 60 a21 g79

21 more goals, 10 more assists. Not identical at all.
I am sure I did mention their peak are over period of 6-7 years instead of 1.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Apparently im not allowed to post twitter media. Im not even allowed to post links to the twitter media.

So lets all just sit back and use our imagniation of what could been a really nice clip of Messi showing some fantastic takedown skills with the ball before the Angers match.

Someone else could perhaps post it though...
I think someone already did post that.

jm99

Jesus Christ, I think there's at least one thread in which Ronaldo is compared to Messi. This shouldn't be the one.

Oh and Messi is a GOAT.
There was one, someone locked it when Ronaldo was about to overtake Messi in the poll, funny enough the same thing happened a few years ago after Ronaldo won the three CLs in a row, thread got locked just as Ronaldo hit 50-50

Real Name

There was one, someone locked it when Ronaldo was about to overtake Messi in the poll, funny enough the same thing happened a few years ago after Ronaldo won the three CLs in a row, thread got locked just as Ronaldo hit 50-50
Ah, it just might stay locked now anyway.

Gehrman

They should reopen it since it spills into other threads. If people dont like it they can put it on ignore

jm99

They should reopen it since it spills into other threads. If people dont like it they can put it on ignore
I don't even know why it was locked originally, I think a former Argentinian mod by the name of Marcos may not have wanted Ronaldo to take the lead in the poll since both times it was when he was about to :lol:

But yeah, no one was being forced to go into the thread and it's a valid topic

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don't even know why it was locked originally, I think a former Argentinian mod by the name of Marcos may not have wanted Ronaldo to take the lead in the poll since both times it was when he was about to :lol:

But yeah, no one was being forced to go into the thread and it's a valid topic
Think the wind has been knocked out of its sails, captain!

jm99

Think the wind has been knocked out of its sails, captain!
I don't know, for me 7 games where Messi won the last one in a penalty shootout doesn't settle the debate for me, I feel if you think messi's the greatest then the world cup shouldn't factor in, if he'd still scored his penalty but the other Argentinian's missed would he be any less great? Not for me. If you felt there was a debate before, then what they do at 35 and 37 doesn't really change that, the debate is about them at their peak and that's long since passed

mshnsh

Post 2015 and viewing their career as a whole, I actually won’t disagree with what you’ve said here. It’s just their very peak period we are appreciating things differently viewing from different angle, so we could never really agree on that bit.

While Messi has always been more talented at everything in traditional/conventional sense - goalscoring, dribbling, passing, playmaking etc all at the highest level, which are the epitome of what we always define as best footballer. So naturally people will always view him as better player, which is fair. I mean, afterall he has the gift of dribbling half of the team and score a beautiful solo, and at the same time matches the numbers of greatest goalscorer in the game, so it’s impossible to argue against him isn’t the best, as he really is.

But Ronaldo at his peak, is quite different. Rarely have we ever seen a winger being so dominant in the game taking up central role in both initiating attack play from the wing/deep as well as finishing up the attack move, while also having so many weapons in his pocket. I understand in todays game there are quite a few of similar type/style of wing forwards who are adopting similar approach but perhaps in lesser degree of dominance/all roundness - ie Mbappe, Salah, Vinicius Junior, Rashford, Leao etc But before Ronaldo, this type of winger/wing forward play is almost non-existence and Ronaldo is clearly one of the kind as the pioneer in the game and the best yet. Hence I always view them as equal during those earlier period. And of course with their stats being mostly identical, even helps further solidify the comparison.
I don't disagree that Ronaldo was a very good footballer, one of the best in his prime but I feel like you watched him through rose tinted glasses. Otherwise you cannot say he was as good in his prime and I'm just talking stats.
The only player who played at that level was Maradona in WC 1986.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don't know, for me 7 games where Messi won the last one in a penalty shootout doesn't settle the debate for me, I feel if you think messi's the greatest then the world cup shouldn't factor in, if he'd still scored his penalty but the other Argentinian's missed would he be any less great? Not for me. If you felt there was a debate before, then what they do at 35 and 37 doesn't really change that, the debate is about them at their peak and that's long since passed
I've always been pro Messi, so maybe i am biased, and you're right, i've mentioned countless times on here that 1 tournament, in a team sport shouldn't weigh as heavily but i think rightfully, was shot down. The lack of an international tournament win was always a counter against messi, even moreso after Portugal won the euros (with Ronaldo not even playing that final).

But i also understand why some "needed" Messi (or Ronaldo) to win a WC to even bring these 2 to Maradona and Pele comparisons. It wouldn't have mattered to me if Argentina lost, but it did to a lot of other people. There needs to be certain "criteria" to reach i guess.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Also, Messi just starred/dominated at a WC (& a COPA before then) at the age of 35 so how does that not "really change anything"?

jm99

I've always been pro Messi, so maybe i am biased, and you're right, i've mentioned countless times on here that 1 tournament, in a team sport shouldn't weigh as heavily but i think rightfully, was shot down. The lack of an international tournament win was always a counter against messi, even moreso after Portugal won the euros (with Ronaldo not even playing that final).

But i also understand why some "needed" Messi (or Ronaldo) to win a WC to even bring these 2 to Maradona and Pele comparisons. It wouldn't have mattered to me if Argentina lost, but it did to a lot of other people. There needs to be certain "criteria" to reach i guess.
I think it's particularly strange given the supposed quality of Pele's Brazil sides, i can't imagine peak Messi or Ronaldo wouldn't have won the world cup in those sides, and 7 games every 4 years holds far less weight for me than an entire career worth. I've long said they were number 1 and 2 for me all time, and international success doesn't matter that much for me, it feels like a holdover from a time when the world cup was the only televised football where people could see players from another country

jm99

Also, Messi just starred/dominated at a WC (& a COPA before then) at the age of 35 so how does that not "really change anything"?
Because these 7 games against Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland, Australia, Netherlands, Croatia and France are far less indicative of his quality than a career worth of games against real Madrid, bayern Munich, atletico, juventus, Manchester United, Manchester City etc. Apart from France, the rest of the teams aren't even close to the quality he'd face in the champions league

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think it's particularly strange given the supposed quality of Pele's Brazil sides, i can't imagine peak Messi or Ronaldo wouldn't have won the world cup in those sides, and 7 games every 4 years holds far less weight for me than an entire career worth. I've long said they were number 1 and 2 for me all time, and international success doesn't matter that much for me, it feels like a holdover from a time when the world cup was the only televised football where people could see players from another country
Because these 7 games against Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland, Australia, Netherlands, Croatia and France are far less indicative of his quality than a career worth of games against real Madrid, bayern Munich, atletico, juventus, Manchester United, Manchester City etc. Apart from France, the rest of the teams aren't even close to the quality he'd face in the champions league
But then you're not factoring in the quality of the Argentinian squad either. It's not like he played those countries with prime Barca? Anyway, agree to disagree, respectfully. The debate is very much over (for me anyway) and it's strange to say what Messi has done at 35 years old is irrelevant because it doesn't fit into your definition of their "peak". Doubt we'd agree on this one, especially with belittling an achievement of winning the WC - which is essentially every players dream and seen as the epitome of the sport by most.

jm99

But then you're not factoring in the quality of the Argentinian squad either. It's not like he played those countries with prime Barca? Anyway, agree to disagree, respectfully. The debate is very much over (for me anyway) and it's strange to say what Messi has done at 35 years old is irrelevant because it doesn't fit into your definition of their "peak". Doubt we'd agree on this one, especially with belittling an achievement of winning the WC - which is essentially every players dream and seen as the epitome of the sport by most.
In terms of legacy it absolutely matters, winning the WC at 35 is a huge contribution, but as a debate about them between players 7 games, 4 of which were against weak sides doesn't change that much for me, but obviously it's huge in terms of accomplishments

Ish

Lights on for Luke
In terms of legacy it absolutely matters, winning the WC at 35 is a huge contribution, but as a debate about them between players 7 games, 4 of which were against weak sides doesn't change that much for me, but obviously it's huge in terms of accomplishments
Tbf, it's more than just 7 games as well. They've both had, what, 5 attempts at the WC (& various other international tournaments)? But alas, i do agree with your notion that winning/losing that final is a matter of margins/inches (Higuain scores in the 2014 final and we won't even be having the conversation etc.) and shouldn't really weigh as much as it seemingly does - over careers spanning hundreds/thousands of professional matches.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Brilliant post, it encompasses perfectly the stages and differences of the rivalry.
Not really. Messi is clearly the better footballer and has been for most of this era. The difference only being 'better team mates' encompasses nothing but a misguided view.

FriedClams

one could argue that Messi’s peak was actually at the World Cup, age 35. He was absolutely sensational.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
A counter to that is that in the UCL he has also been surrounded by great teammates and even very good coaches. You can't say that for most of his Argentina career. In fact that was often used against him. That he only performs because of certain teammates. The Xavi and Iniesta jibes were a regular slight against him.

This is why this was the greatest achievement of his career. International football almost broke him. He lost 3 straight finals and retired. But to go to a world cup at 35 and dominate is unheard of.

He has generally found life easier in the UCL. He had to play the most games ever played in a world cup to just win 1.

Gehrman

one could argue that Messi’s peak was actually at the World Cup, age 35. He was absolutely sensational.
Not at all. In his peak years he was a different beast. This was just the wc he finally won with some iconic moments(mainly those 2 assists) but 2 of his goals were quality.

I mean take his highlights and goals from the 2010-2011 season and he was just a alien.

Pocho

Great achievement. Should reopen that poll since both of them are at the end of their careers.

K2K

Not at all. In his peak years he was a different beast. This was just the wc he finally won with some iconic moments(mainly those 2 assists) but 2 of his goals were quality.

I mean take his highlights and goals from the 2010-2011 season and he was just a alien.
I think his peak at International football and club football are different years.

This was definitely his peak in an Argentina shirt. He was even better than 2014 when he also won when player of the tournament.

I think it came with maturity too. He seemed to relish the pressure this time around, while in the past it almost seemed to weigh him down.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Supposedly offered a monster contract by Al Nassr rivals Al Hilal. There's two funny things about that. One, he has been offered more than Cristiano, and if he were to go Cristiano will have been the highest paid player ever for a good month. The other is that he will most definitely turn down to be paid more than Cristiano, arguing that he is still very much good enough to play in Europe and doesn't need to move to Saudi Arabia. Either way Cristiano's "decision" will end up proving that Messi is the greater player, either for rejecting it as retirement league or being paid more :lol:
To be fair isn't Ronaldo 3 years older? And over those three years even including last season was still one of the top strikers in Europe playing against better opposition than Messi will be at PSG.

Not that I don't agree that it would be funny mind. Mainly because it will still wind Ronaldo up regardless. As with evergone else unfortunateenough to do so, his legacy and reputation has been genuinely tarnished by associating himself with Piers Morgan.

Gehrman

I think his peak at International football and club football are different years.

This was definitely his peak in an Argentina shirt. He was even better than 2014 when he also won when player of the tournament.

I think it came with maturity too. He seemed to relish the pressure this time around, while in the past it almost seemed to weigh him down.
I think there is maturity as well, but i remember one of the pundits here in denmark saying that Argentinas present coach tried to change the mentality of the team. Before him Messi's teammates relied too much on the idea of Messi winning the wc for them, so he changed it around to have Messi's teamates winning it for Messi. They said thats why when he became coach they first played without Messi and then intergrated him into the team so it was a solid unit without him. Personally i think that mentality was obvious in the WC. Of course though Messi was without doubt the key player in the attack.

jm99

Great achievement. Should reopen that poll since both of them are at the end of their careers.
Would seem slightly unfair to lock for about 2 years when Ronaldo had just won three champions leagues in a row then locking it again when Ronaldo was doing better last season, and only reopening it once messi's world cup win is fresh in the mind, but it's a poll in an online football forum, so I guess who really gives a feck :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Seeing Messi’s career has been a delight. The guy was tearing apart Real Madrid as a teenager at the Bernabau in that Ronaldinho game.

I don’t know where his peak was, I enjoyed his early years the most though

jm99

A counter to that is that in the UCL he has also been surrounded by great teammates and even very good coaches. You can't say that for most of his Argentina career. In fact that was often used against him. That he only performs because of certain teammates. The Xavi and Iniesta jibes were a regular slight against him.

This is why this was the greatest achievement of his career. International football almost broke him. He lost 3 straight finals and retired. But to go to a world cup at 35 and dominate is unheard of.

He has generally found life easier in the UCL. He had to play the most games ever played in a world cup to just win 1.
It's still a higher level, it's playing in a team against others that are coached year round that have gelled together, so many things can affect a world cup because it all takes place over a month and then it's done, a slight knock would normally affect one round in the champions league, or a bad run of form due to personal issues or mental issues or whatever but when the whole tournament takes place over a month it makes way more of a difference, or like Maradona as manager, if that happened in the champions league, there's time to replace him between rounds when they're underwhelming which obviously won't happen midway during a world cup. That's why it holds less weight for me, I'm sure others don't agree

Gehrman

You could argue that if you never watched him play for barcleona from 2008-2019
He was sensational when he was 19 as well. It was recurring injuries that got in his way. His dribbling was out of this world.

FriedClams

You could argue that if you never watched him play for barcleona from 2008-2019
Of course, I am well aware that his absolute peak lies elsewhere, I just felt like your comment wasn't attaching an appropriate amount of weight to what he actually achieved at the world cup. I think when the conversation for GOAT is so tight, those 7 games are worth a lot more to his career than they probably should be.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Would seem slightly unfair to lock for about 2 years when Ronaldo had just won three champions leagues in a row then locking it again when Ronaldo was doing better last season, and only reopening it once messi's world cup win is fresh in the mind, but it's a poll in an online football forum, so I guess who really gives a feck :lol:
Seems like you really really do give a feck, jm99.

jm99

He was sensational when he was 19 as well. It was recurring injuries that got in his way. His dribbling was out of this world.
Yeah i definitely remember there was a lot of talk that Messi would end up as one of the biggest what ifs in football along with a healthy r9 because it seemed he was going to spend more time on the treatment table than on the pitch, but he ended up being below average in terms of injuries during his career

K2K

I think there is maturity as well, but i remember one of the pundits here in denmark saying that Argentinas present coach tried to change the mentality of the team. Before him Messi's teammates relied too much on the idea of Messi winning the wc for them, so he changed it around to have Messi's teamates winning it for Messi. They said thats why when he became coach they first played without Messi and then intergrated him into the team so it was a solid unit without him. Personally i think that mentality was obvious in the WC. Of course though Messi was without doubt the key player in the attack.
That's a good point. He was their best player no doubt. But the rest of the team (Except for their two CBs) really did step it up this tournament. Their fighting spirit too was very commendable

K2K

It's still a higher level, it's playing in a team against others that are coached year round that have gelled together, so many things can affect a world cup because it all takes place over a month and then it's done, a slight knock would normally affect one round in the champions league, or a bad run of form due to personal issues or mental issues or whatever but when the whole tournament takes place over a month it makes way more of a difference, or like Maradona as manager, if that happened in the champions league, there's time to replace him between rounds when they're underwhelming which obviously won't happen midway during a world cup. That's why it holds less weight for me, I'm sure others don't agree
For me the reasons you mention is what makes the world cup the harder prize and hence the biggest. It's statistically harder to win with a lot that could go wrong.

The fact that the top two UCL scorers of all time didn't have a single KO goal at the world cup between them at 4 world cups until this one also shows how difficult they both found it.

Yet the WC is not necessarily won by luck either seeing as no minnow has ever lucked their way to the title.

I think what stands out about the world cup is the pressure. Nothing in this sport comes close. And that's why the truly great players are fated for their standout performances in it. With the UCL, there's always next year.