Lionel Messi - Performances

Deleted member 101472

Who said I'm writing him off? He's still one of the greats. But he has done pretty much nothing outside of a stacked Barcelona team built entirely around him. This tournament was his last chance to prove he could do something out of that environment. That he can't doesn't make him a bad player but it does mean he's not the best player in history.
This is disrespectful to anyone who’s played in a World Cup final or back to back Copa America finals. He’s not done “nothing” he’s just not done everything. There’s an in between.

What players in history could have won the world cup with this Argentina team? I count zero.
There was one sitting in the stands who won with a far worse team.

Otamendi, Rojo, Di Maria, Mascherano, Banega, Aguero, Dybala, Higuain. This is not some team of amateurs he's been dropped in.

Ban

There was one sitting in the stands who won with a far worse team.

Otamendi, Rojo, Di Maria, Mascherano, Banega, Aguero, Dybala, Higuain. This is not some team of amateurs he's been dropped in.
It wasn't far worse. And it was a team, played like a team, functioned like a team. This Argentina team is playing like a bunch of indviduals, not to mention a coach who doesn't know what he's doing.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
No matter how you feel about Messi, for him to out of this world cup with very little impact is heart breaking. He's arguably the best player in the world and at worst, shares it with Ronaldo. Last WC, he as magnificent but this has been a disaster. Especially if this is his last world cup, I genuinely sympathize with him. Respect the genius Ronaldo fans, instead of sticking the knife.

This is disrespectful to anyone who’s played in a World Cup final or back to back Copa America finals. He’s not done “nothing” he’s just not done everything. There’s an in between.
OK point taken, even though he had very little to do with them being in the final last time. But to be the best player of all time coasting along as just another player in a group of players is not enough.

Deleted member 101472

OK point taken, even though he had very little to do with them being in the final last time. But to be the best player of all time coasting along as just another player in a group of players is not enough.
Well his rival is 360 minutes away from rendering the argument completely obsolete but until then, anyone who can’t appreciate why it’s fair enough that so many consider him the best ever just needs to keep the opinion to themself.

Schneckerl

What players in history could have won the world cup with this Argentina team? I count zero.
Not this years.

There are many who could have done it with a great stretch of form in 2014. That team conceded ZERO goals in the knockouts until Götze's in OT of the final.

That's a great

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Every player who pretend to be the GOAT have to be judged against the best at the biggest stage. No other way around.

I’m not even sure Messi is among top ten in the history of all greats in the WC. His goal scoring record in the WC is average. One final isn’t enough to be even concidered top five.

If this is his final WC tournament then he isn’t the GOAT. Maradona and Pelé is one level above and the WC is the highest level where we can compare great players from different eras.

Last edited:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Not this years.

There are many who could have done it with a great stretch of form in 2014. That team conceded ZERO goals in the knockouts until Götze's in OT of the final.

That's a great
Totally agree. However, I fail to see how that removes him from the conversation. No one player has a perfect resume.

Theodore

Supports
Liverpool, PAOK
Quite a few contenders for that so far.

1. James Rodriguez assist for Colombia 3rd goal vs Poland

2. KDB assist for Lukaku header with the outside of boot cross

3. KDB pass from centre circle to hazard for his goal in Belgium 2nd match
I would consider Pogba's assist today as well, although I don't share the sentiment that he played well. In fact, he is a very wasteful player from what I've seen so far, but his 'long ball' was up there.

Messi did score a great goal last game, but what's the use? He can't turn the tides for his team, that's what he has shown.

Last edited:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Sadly his legs seems gone and his spirit crumbling more and more. Let’s see if Ronaldo follows suit, we could witness the end of an incredibly glorious and long era in two hours time imho.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Looking at this Argentina team and what lies ahead for them in terms of upcoming talent, this won't be his last world cup. I expect him to retire and make a comeback a la Zidane.

Schneckerl

Totally agree. However, I fail to see how that removes him from the conversation. No one player has a perfect resume.
Yeah I agree. Messi is up there overall. International performances is just something where others contenders are superior, he might have the edge on them in other areas though.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Just checked the article, it was on the 9th of June in the Times. Pay-walled, but the important bit:

Who will win the golden boot?
Henry Winter

Lionel Messi (Argentina)

Matt Dickinson
Antoine Griezmann (France)

Oliver Kay
Neymar (Brazil)

Alyson Rudd
Mohamed Salah (Egypt) if fit enough

Paul Joyce
Lionel Messi (Argentina)

So it wasn't 'virtually all', to be fair. I just remember being surprised when reading it the first time considering a)Messi's international record and b)Argentina not being great overall.
Fair enough.

I thought Neymar would be too scorer. That looks rather silly now. Some predictions are far off.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Who said I'm writing him off? He's still one of the greats. But he has done pretty much nothing outside of a stacked Barcelona team built entirely around him. This tournament was his last chance to prove he could do something out of that environment. That he can't doesn't make him a bad player but it does mean he's not the best player in history.
This season's Barca was hardly stacked. Iniesta is fading badly, Suarez was terribly inconsistent, and till January that was it in terms of quality forward options (then Coutinho joined). Paulinho becoming an attacking star says it all.
He pretty much carried them to this title on his own.

Edit - compare their squad to Madrid's and it's not even close, Madrid is superior by far:

Ter Stegen = Navas
Semedo < Carvajal
Pique < Ramos
Umtiti = Varane
Alba << Marcelo
Busquets = Casemeiro
Rakitic << Modric
Iniesta/Coutinho < Kroos
Paulinho << Isco
Messi > Ronaldo
Suarez > Benzema

And Madrid have Bale, Kovacic and Asensio on the bench vs Dembele for Barca.

Last edited:

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
I'd like to talk about this and no place better than this thread, possibly for future references too. This is Marca, using an Argentinian source which I don't know how much value holds in their own country. The Spanish edition is structured the same way.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2018/07/20/5b51b7a3268e3e70388b45d0.html
"The tense meeting between Messi and Sampaoli" on the header, then you keep reading and see that it wasn't just Messi, it was Messi and Mascherano, voicing the concerns of the whole team "Lionel Messi and Javier Mascherano called a meeting with Jorge Sampaoli and the rest of his staff.".

"The purpose of the meeting was clear, to make him see that the squad no longer trusted him. 'We don't get what you say, we don't trust you anymore and we want to have an opinion,' was their argument."

Now, the part where Messi actually comes into play. "Messi took to the floor and was also unhappy with Sampaoli asking him who he should bring on, a moment which was picked up by cameras.'You asked me 10 times which players you wanted me to see on and which ones I didn't and I never gave you a name,' he said."

"The meeting calmed down after a lively start but things never boiled over"
Guess it's not hard to guess why he's conceived as a dictator, he actually just does what the squad asks of him, and tries to prove, going to the source itself, that he's not demanding the coach to play X or Y, and he doesn't even want to influence his decisions.

Yet, the press milk their headlines and structure the article in a way that makes him look just like Al Capone, instead of a guy that just plays football and has been trying to avoid drama for all of his career :lol:.

IFC 1905

Looking at this Argentina team and what lies ahead for them in terms of upcoming talent, this won't be his last world cup. I expect him to retire and make a comeback a la Zidane.

It's not a talent problem. It's a team problem.

Also it's been revealed the talk between messi and sampaoli they day they decided he wont listen to him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is he still carrying on with Argentina then? I assume so given the lack of announcement after World cup ended.

Can certainly play in Copa America but beyond that not sure on his motivation levels tbh.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Propped up on my TL. Never noticed his involvement. Dreadful!

Culero

1st of February 2009: Messi scores Barcelona's 5,000th la liga goal. 18th of August 2018: Messi scores Barcelona's 6,000th la liga goal.

DaGOAT

Very impressive in Barca's first league match tonight.

Passing, finishing, positional awareness especially about sticking to the RW, runs in behind, mobility - he had everything today. This is when Messi can cause most damage.

I read that since scoring Barcelona's 5,000th La Liga goal in 2009 (he just scored their 1000th!) this guy has contributed to 462 (337 goals+125 assists) of Barca's next 1,000 goals.

Eddy_JukeZ

He'll mask Valverde's deficiencies(and some of the squad) to another league title.

His passing was superlative today.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Could've easily got four goals today, two of them from free kicks. He's still absolutely amazing.

Think Barcelona could have a brillant season ahead of them. They've bought in very well, Coutinho and Dembele seemed to have finally settled in, Messi looks as good as always and Arthur will probably solve their midfield problems. Finally, they've occupied any position by at least two top players again. Suarez, Messi, Dembele, Coutinho, Malcom and Munir for three attacking positions. Arthur, Vidal, Rakitic, Busquets, Rafinha and Suarez in the midfield. Roberto, Semedo, Lenglet, Pique, Umtiti and Alba as defenders. Plus some great talents with Alena, Puig and Samper. Possibly the best squad in the world right now, on par with PSG.