Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I agree - I think even the 2015 MSN version that was so highly praised wasn't a patch on the peak goalscoring version from earlier.

But also - the loss of pace and explosiveness that @Gehrman talks about is a real thing. It affects everything, not just getting past players - he makes bad decisions about dribbling vs passing because he still hasn't figured out some of the things he can't do. His shots get blocked a lot because everything is one percent slower.
He's started from such a crazy level and technical basics (which Ronaldo doesn't have) that this diminished version can still do damage. But it's hard to imagine 2022 Messi having the same impact on the World cup as 2018 Mbappe or 2006 Zidane, but that's what seems to be the expectation now.
I don't think Mbappe 2018 was that great to be honest. Zidane was in 2006 but Messi definitely has that kind of performance in him. He's probably still better than the best version of Zidane becuase he's just as much of a creative beast while scoring much more than him and being a more proficient dribbler. As you said, Messi is held to the standards he set himself in his younger years. And everybody would fall short against that benchmark.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
People who like a player have an idealised image of that player and so set high standards for them - for example, see Fed/Nadal fans talking about their player.
I know this personally - many games where Martial was described as having a great performance I felt he could do more, because I remember his debut start vs Southampton and think he can always deliver a 10/10 dribbling and finishing masterclass. Same with me watching Federer or Messi or Pogba or...
And I think it's the same for @Gehrman with Messi. Having seen and accepted how good he can be, any decline becomes very magnified.
No I don't think the decline is magnified. Messi has had some sublime assists this season and he still has his passing and vision, but because of his age, he is really slow, gives the ball away more, a lot of his game doesn't really come off. He is doing pretty well this season considering his age, but I'm just not sure I'd put him up there with the top 10 players in the world where some have him.

Rojow

No I don't think the decline is magnified. Messi has had some sublime assists this season and he still has his passing and vision, but because of his age, he is really slow, gives the ball away more, a lot of his game doesn't really come off. He is doing pretty well this season considering his age, but I'm just not sure I'd put him up there with the top 10 players in the world where some have him.
Which are the top 10 players in the world right now?

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Which are the top 10 players in the world right now?
The problem is that Messi is playing in Ligue 1.

I love Messi, but if we include Ligue 1 performances for the top 10, no reason to keep away Dimitri Payet, who had a magnificent season with Marseille.
For example, Messi performances in Europe with PSG have been far from what he showed in Ligue 1.

If we still think he is top 10 based solely on Ligue 1 performances, but keep Dimitri Payet out of the list when he was great in Ligue 1 as well(and playing for a much weaker team than PSG)... sounds kinda biased to me.

Rather just form a top 10 with only players from top 4 leagues, i would make an exception with Neymar (who has been PSG's best player in Europe)

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
My list:
1. Messi
2. Pele
3. Maradona
4. Cristiano
5. Cruijff
5. Backenbauer
7. Luis Ronaldo

I did not see Pele play but im ranking him based on what people who saw him play say about him (which can be taken with a pinch of salt since overtime myths are created about many footballers).

I rank Cristiano 4th based on the positives of longevity and success, both individual and collective with the negatives of lacking the magic that some of the others on the list have.

IReally????:houllier::houllier::lol:
Thats fair enough. I rarely debate these types of lists because after that top three, I think it’s hugely subjective. But I did admire your inclusion of Beckenbaur. Someone else posted in this thread that he was often overlooked for these things and shouldn’t be, and it is hard to argue with that. I can see your argument for Cristiano’s placing. It’s not one that weighs as heavily for me, but I can totally see the logic. As for the ordering of the top 3, again, pretty hard to argue. Can really go in any order and I wouldn’t argue it.

mshnsh

The problem is that Messi is playing in Ligue 1.

I love Messi, but if we include Ligue 1 performances for the top 10, no reason to keep away Dimitri Payet, who had a magnificent season with Marseille.
For example, Messi performances in Europe with PSG have been far from what he showed in Ligue 1.

If we still think he is top 10 based solely on Ligue 1 performances, but keep Dimitri Payet out of the list when he was great in Ligue 1 as well(and playing for a much weaker team than PSG)... sounds kinda biased to me.

Rather just form a top 10 with only players from top 4 leagues, i would make an exception with Neymar (who has been PSG's best player in Europe)
Bundesliga and Serie a are currently not at a good level either.

As for the ucl, PSG have played twice this season. Granted he did not have a good game vs Juve but as the game vs Maccabi progressed, Messi was their best player. The whole team had struggled before then.

People need to accept that Messi is playing more as a classic no 10 at PSG with high risk creative passing his main weapon while dribbling being done when needed. Playing deeper, he also has to score from more difficult chances so his goal output is bound to be lower especially when Mbappe plays.

Just Hope

As an argentinian I obviously prefer Messi, but both were amazing (and unique) players and we can count ourselves lucky that we got to watch them on their prime.

I prefer Messi's dribbling style over Ronaldo's though.

NewYorkRed

Congrats to him on figuring out how to score in the Uber Eats league. Only took him a year.

TenHagsEmpire

Supports
Ajax
Congrats to him on figuring out how to score in the Uber Eats league. Only took him a year.
And what about all the assist from last season? Conveniently forgetting those? Or do only goals count?

20+ goals and 20+ assists so far this calendar year in all comps.

NewYorkRed

Gooood, goooood. Let the bitterness and hatred flow through you.
Not bitter at all. I was incredibly bitter when he scored against us in both those CL finals. Now he’s washed so I don’t really care tbh, plus its Ligue 1, who cares? I honestly expected him to age really well because he is the most skilled footballer in history in my opinion, the passing range and dribbling are like none other in history. Thought he would be able to drop deeper and adapt but his decline has been fast and steep.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
He has been fantastic on the ball today, some great passes and rolling back the years with some mazy dribbles (he won the free kick that he scored from with one).

NewYorkRed

And what about all the assist from last season? Conveniently forgetting those? Or do only goals count?

So you’re saying he had a good year last year? Hahah

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral

He was shite last season. Looked sluggish and easy to stop.

Any half decent playmaker would get bucketloads of assists with Mbappe in that league. Mbappe increases the margin for error allowed.

There's a reason why Messi struggled to do anything in the round of 16 game against Real.

Cry harder:lol::lol::lol:
He'll have the last laugh when Messi gets embarassed in the CL knockouts yet again. We'll see who cries and how hard then. :lol:

His PR team has done a terrific job. We have brainwashed fanboys now trying to twist facts and present his last season at PSG as a success FFS.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Not bitter at all. I was incredibly bitter when he scored against us in both those CL finals. Now he’s washed so I don’t really care tbh, plus its Ligue 1, who cares? I honestly expected him to age really well because he is the most skilled footballer in history in my opinion, the passing range and dribbling are like none other in history. Thought he would be able to drop deeper and adapt but his decline has been fast and steep.
You care enough to go into his thread to make a dampening comment about him scoring an excellent freekick that probably would have gone in regardless of the team he faces.

Fine, maybe you're not bitter - but I'll never understand comments such as these in response to a goal like this. If he played a masterclass and people are waxing lyrical about how he's the second coming of 11/12 Messi, then fine - dampen down the hype. But it's a freekick goal, where two posters made a remark on how good the freekick was.

If it's not bitterness, then it's just a rather unnecessary response.

Pocho

Any half decent playmaker would get bucketloads of assists with Mbappe in that league. Mbappe increases the margin for error allowed.

There's a reason why Messi struggled to do anything in the round of 16 game against Real.

He'll have the last laugh when Messi gets embarassed in the CL knockouts yet again. We'll see who cries and how hard then. :lol:

His PR team has done a terrific job. We have brainwashed fanboys now trying to twist facts and present his last season at PSG as a success FFS.
another bleeding butt says present

Pocho

besides i couldn’t care less about what happens now in CL he’s already the Goat by a large margin, except for some lunatics buttdestroyed who I don’t give their names to protect them.
:lol:

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Could just enjoy watching such a player rather than sounding pathetic in a forum.
Sounding pathetic because of stating the obvious fact that your guy was shite last season?

Not everybody has to enjoy what you supposedly enjoy although you're here defending him and getting triggered at posts so I doubt you're "enjoying" him....:lol:

besides i couldn’t care less about what happens now in CL he’s already the Goat by a large margin, except for some lunatics buttdestroyed who I don’t give their names to protect them.
:lol:
"Couldn't care less".....well that's exactly the response and logic you expect from that fanbase. Thanks for illustrating that once again. :lol:

Enjoy watching the Paris game. Cheers.

RepardReece

Sounding pathetic because of stating the obvious fact that your guy was shite last season?

Not everybody has to enjoy what you supposedly enjoy although you're here defending him and getting triggered at posts so I doubt you're "enjoying" him....:lol:
Not saying he wasn't poor last season and not even defending him. Just comments like yours are completely unnecessary. Channel your anger at something else

Pocho

"Couldn't care less".....well that's exactly the response and logic you expect from that fanbase. Thanks for illustrating that once again. :lol:

Enjoy watching the Paris game. Cheers.
not buttdestroyed but comes to a Messi post a second after he scores a beautiful goal.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He was poor last season, re-adjusted himself and plays like all around team player at the age of 35, both for the club and for the country, long may it lasts!

mshnsh

2 Ronaldo fanboys so fecking bitter that they are shitting bitterness, pissing bitterness and sweating bitterness. Unnecessary comments absolutely reflect their bitterness.

NewYorkRed

2 Ronaldo fanboys so fecking bitter that they are shitting bitterness, pissing bitterness and sweating bitterness. Unnecessary comments absolutely reflect their bitterness.
I’m a ManUtd fan. Ronaldo plays for us. Messi doesn’t…….

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Typical simpleton logic and reasoning(not unexpected though).

"Has dared to mention that Messi was poor last season so must be a Ronaldo fan." :lol:

Just so you know: couldn't care less about Ronaldo either and he's washed up too.

You know what is extremely unnecessary? The cute little attempts to brainwash people by presenting Messi's last season as a success. There were jokes about Fred in the PL outscoring Messi in the Ligue 1 for most of the season FFS. He was embarassing last season. As are the people trying to depict last season as a success in any shape or form. Stop lying to yourself.

Rojow

"Outscoring"

Like if thats the only way to measure a player like Messi. Thats brainwashing, believing goals it's the only metric in football. Many dont even see games, only numbers in your favorite app.

Theo88

Thats fair enough. I rarely debate these types of lists because after that top three, I think it’s hugely subjective. But I did admire your inclusion of Beckenbaur. Someone else posted in this thread that he was often overlooked for these things and shouldn’t be, and it is hard to argue with that. I can see your argument for Cristiano’s placing. It’s not one that weighs as heavily for me, but I can totally see the logic. As for the ordering of the top 3, again, pretty hard to argue. Can really go in any order and I wouldn’t argue it.
The top 10 is always going to be subjective. There have been so many gifted players it is easy to overlook one like Beckenbauer. It goes down to preferences eventually.

For me R9 is at the top of that list. He never has the career CR7 or Messi had hence not as successful, but that dude at the age of 20 was scoring 40 goals in la liga in a time talent was more fairly distributed across teams. IF Ronaldo stayed healthy he would have been the best of the best. Those pre ACL years paint him in my eyes as a mixture of Messi and CR7. He was as technically gifted as Messi and probably more explosive and athletic than the Portuguese.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Doesn't matter. Messi should still be scoring way more goals than a bang average CM playing in a much tougher league.

Messi can't be a proper midfielder because of his sheer incompetence off the ball.

Having goal contributions is very important for a player like Messi. Can't run away from that.

He's not a deep lying playmaker or CM. He's a forward FFS.

This is why once his output went down, it has become nearly impossible to win CLs with him. Against the top team that attitude only works when you keep producing amazing output. Messi's declining potency against tougher sides has been evident for years now. People are too quick to forget that he also missed a penalty against Madrid at a very crucial point last season.