Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
24 goals and 22 assists in 39 appearances so far in 2022. Not good enough for a Ballon D'Or nomination though :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
24 goals and 22 assists in 39 appearances so far in 2022. Not good enough for a Ballon D'Or nomination though :lol:
In 2022, France Football modified the rules for the Ballon d'Or. They changed the timing so that awards were given not for achievements during a calendar year, but for a football season
So what he is doing this season didn't count.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Can we all remember this is the French league and hes in a team that's cost more than United have spent in their entire existence to put together.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Can we all remember this is the French league and hes in a team that's cost more than United have spent in their entire existence to put together.
Man utd have a higher netspend than PSG since 2012. I get what you're saying, it doesn't detract from the fact that he's joy to watch whilst on form and is arguably the best or 2nd best in that team atm at 35.

Edit: I take that back. Would probably still take Neymar and Mbappe atm over Messi, but all 3 are great this season.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Why are you lying to try and make a point?
I think he was just unaware that we have the 2nd highest netspend in the world in the last decade. With the shitshow our teams have been since then, i guess it's hard to believe.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The Messi/Mbappe link up is filthy. That second goal was brilliant.

mshnsh

Man utd have a higher netspend than PSG since 2012. I get what you're saying, it doesn't detract from the fact that he's joy to watch whilst on form and is arguably the best or 2nd best in that team atm at 35.

Edit: I take that back. Would probably still take Neymar and Mbappe atm over Messi, but all 3 are great this season.
Messi has been PSG's best player this season. Mbappe actually has not been very good until the last game despite his goals. Neymar started strong but after the international break he faded returning to form in the last game.

Gehrman

Messi has been PSG's best player this season. Mbappe actually has not been very good until the last game despite his goals. Neymar started strong but after the international break he faded returning to form in the last game.
I think in a big champions league game, most of the opponents and fans would shit themselves over Mpabbe rather than Messi. Of course that might be an odd way to put it. Don't really have a problem with anyone thinking Messi has been their best player this season. He's been very consistent.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Really Hope he can win a CL this year outside a club of Barcelona.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I think he was just unaware that we have the 2nd highest netspend in the world in the last decade. With the shitshow our teams have been since then, i guess it's hard to believe.
Well he should probably be aware that United have spent ridiculous amounts of money.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Really Hope he can win a CL this year outside a club of Barcelona.
You were told he would be much better this season and you didn't listen. Now he has 46 goal contributions this year. It's pretty clear that his struggles last year were due to the fact that he never actually wanted to leave Barcelona and the fact that he didn't have a pre-season. Now he's settled, he's had a proper pre-season and he's motoring. He's going to hit 700 club goals, 800 total goals and 1000 appearances all before the season is done most likely.

mshnsh

I think in a big champions league game, most of the opponents and fans would shit themselves over Mpabbe rather than Messi. Of course that might be an odd way to put it. Don't really have a problem with anyone thinking Messi has been their best player this season. He's been very consistent.
I'm sure you are referencing to last season and the game vs Juventus this season. Last season was an anomaly, a season of adjustment. As for the game vs Juventus, that is his only below par game this season. And anyway, Juventus are hardly a big team this season given how poor they are.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
You were told he would be much better this season and you didn't listen. Now he has 46 goal contributions this year. It's pretty clear that his struggles last year were due to the fact that he never actually wanted to leave Barcelona and the fact that he didn't have a pre-season. Now he's settled, he's had a proper pre-season and he's motoring. He's going to hit 700 club goals, 800 total goals and 1000 appearances all before the season is done most likely.
And now I hope he wins the CL.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Why are you lying to try and make a point?
It was made as a point for dramatic effect.
Im aware of how much we have spent, in comparison to what PSG have spent and what they have achieved I believe we are on par with each other.
Winning the French league and cups is not an achievement.
Net spend for both teams is very similar in the last ten years.
No doubting hes a fantastic player to watch, would have him over Ronaldo in a heartbeat.

Ladron de redcafe

19 goal contributions by late October. 23 in 17 matches in all competitions for club and country. He's started hot.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
An interesting Messi stat is the fact that he has 991 total appearances and 306 man of the match awards. That's a hair below 31%. So basically Messi is deemed to be the best player on the pitch in roughly one of every 3 games he plays. That's pretty crazy.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
An interesting Messi stat is the fact that he has 991 total appearances and 306 man of the match awards. That's a hair below 31%. So basically Messi is deemed to be the best player on the pitch in roughly one of every 3 games he plays. That's pretty crazy.
For those curious, Ronaldo's figure is about one in seven.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
It was made as a point for dramatic effect.
Im aware of how much we have spent, in comparison to what PSG have spent and what they have achieved I believe we are on par with each other.
Winning the French league and cups is not an achievement.

Net spend for both teams is very similar in the last ten years.
No doubting hes a fantastic player to watch, would have him over Ronaldo in a heartbeat.
I don't think it quite works like that.

Gehrman

I'm sure you are referencing to last season and the game vs Juventus this season. Last season was an anomaly, a season of adjustment. As for the game vs Juventus, that is his only below par game this season. And anyway, Juventus are hardly a big team this season given how poor they are.
I'm basing it on how Messi has performed in big games since his decline started which I would argue started to become very noticeable in the 2019-2020 season. Whilst Mpabbe is in his prime and certainly looks the bigger danger in those games.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
PSG is not going to win CL with Messi on the pitch. He can stat pad against French minions, but as soon as PSG face a serious CL team he will disappear again.

mshnsh

I'm basing it on how Messi has performed in big games since his decline started which I would argue started to become very noticeable in the 2019-2020 season. Whilst Mpabbe is in his prime and certainly looks the bigger danger in those games.
Let's see. Barcelona as a team were horrible under Setien and than under Koeman. Those factors cannot be ignored.

IFC 1905

[QUOT: 29621139, member: 116341"]

well, that would be the case if people didn’t watch Mbappe play. Now that I’ve payed more attention to his game, he’s a little bit overrated in my opinion. He has a decent level of skill, but not top level. He needs spaces to explode his supernatural speed, which is the best he has. His finishing is something that surprised me, since he needs many chances to score a goal. He misses so many sitters, somehow he sends it to stands most of the time, he’s done it so many times yesterday . Best thing is that he gets upset watching the ground as if the ball bounced or something, when it’s him hitting it the wrong way.
Now, he needs someone to provide him, along with a rival team that gives him the chance to counter attack. And there’s no one in the world right now better than Messi to serve him. And Neymar comes second.

so yeah, I’d be definitely more scared when Neymar and Messi have the ball if my team faced them.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
[QUOT: 29621139, member: 116341"]

well, that would be the case if people didn’t watch Mbappe play. Now that I’ve payed more attention to his game, he’s a little bit overrated in my opinion. He has a decent level of skill, but not top level. He needs spaces to explode his supernatural speed, which is the best he has. His finishing is something that surprised me, since he needs many chances to score a goal. He misses so many sitters, somehow he sends it to stands most of the time, he’s done it so many times yesterday . Best thing is that he gets upset watching the ground as if the ball bounced or something, when it’s him hitting it the wrong way.
Now, he needs someone to provide him, along with a rival team that gives him the chance to counter attack. And there’s no one in the world right now better than Messi to serve him. And Neymar comes second.

so yeah, I’d be definitely more scared when Neymar and Messi have the ball if my team faced them.
You haven't watched a lot of games haven't you? Mbappé was 4,02 goals over expected goals last season in ligue 1 (4,15 the season before), which is very good. He had a couple of more complicated games this season and is still 1.19 over xG. So no, he doesn't miss "so many sitters".

The reason why he's not as efficient is also because PSG doesn't provide a credible threat on the right wing so the opposing team is free to double or triple team him.

Pocho

PSG is not going to win CL with Messi on the pitch. He can stat pad against French minions, but as soon as PSG face a serious CL team he will disappear again.
And still he is the GOAT. He has nothing to prove at 35 like Cristiano at 37. Is quite dumb demanding anything to these two at this point of their careers.

IFC 1905

You haven't watched a lot of games haven't you? Mbappé was 4,02 goals over expected goals last season in ligue 1 (4,15 the season before), which is very good. He had a couple of more complicated games this season and is still 1.19 over xG. So no, he doesn't miss "so many sitters".

The reason why he's not as efficient is also because PSG doesn't provide a credible threat on the right wing so the opposing team is free to double or triple team him.

I’ve seen him missing enough sitters to consider him above average at finishing. Just yesterday he had 2 or 4 situations one on one and he missed the goal.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I’ve seen him missing enough sitters to consider him above average at finishing. Just yesterday he had 2 or 4 situations one on one and he missed the goal.
Oh, the famous "just yesterday" test. I stand corrected then.

Gehrman

And still he is the GOAT. He has nothing to prove at 35 like Cristiano at 37. Is quite dumb demanding anything to these two at this point of their careers.
It's really silly when you have fanboys demanding that either Messi or Cristiano has something to prove at beyond the average retirement age for footballers. Saf and Pep had Messi up there with the greatest after the 2011 CL final. Over 10 years ago. Both of them could have retired at 32 or 33 or even before that with nothing left to prove whatsoever. When they are both in the MLS or something I guess people will still be harping on about their stats there instead.

Pocho

It's really silly when you have fanboys demanding that either Messi or Cristiano has something to prove at beyond the average retirement age for footballers. Saf and Pep had Messi up there with the greatest after the 2011 CL final. Over 10 years ago. Both of them could have retired at 32 or 33 or even before that with nothing left to prove whatsoever. When they are both in the MLS or something I guess people will still be harping on about their stats there instead.
exactly, they gave us a lot of football and a bonus after reaching 32 years old, just enjoy what they still bring.