Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Isafim

hmmm, I'd actually say in most common places, even caf. vast majority of fans will obviously know Zico's profile, basic info and the fact he was incredible free kick taker, but would they associate him with a 65 league goals per season player for example? something neither Messi, Ronaldo, Puskas, Muller or Pele were capable of? nah, it would be obvious that such fact require a bit of context and that context is of course the regional league. I read a lot so I know a bit about football's ancient history, but I don't think plenty of fans do the same and I genuinely think his 600+ goals in about 700 games isn't really a common knowledge among fans who aren't from Brazil. you're either overrating your average football fan or it's me who's underrating them.
if you're counting unofficial goals, Pele has scored 100+ goals in 3 different seasons.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
The assist was brilliant between the lines, and his goal was insane too.

Hasn't lost it at all, last year was just a hangover period.

Guys still the worlds best on this form. He's the GOAT for me.

TenHagsEmpire

Supports
Ajax
The assist was brilliant between the lines, and his goal was insane too.

Hasn't lost it at all, last year was just a hangover period.

Guys still the worlds best on this form. He's the GOAT for me.
If Messi continues in his current form he could win another Ballon D’Or (which is now based on season, NOT calendar year) further distancing himself from Ronaldo.

22/23 season so far:

1st. Messi (16+13) 29

2nd. Neymar (15+12) 27

3rd. Haaland (23+3) 26

4th. Lewandowski (18+5) 23

4th. Mbappe (18+4) 22

5th. Khvicha (10+8) 18

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
So he's on 700 club goals as well now right?

Edit: no I miscalculated from his wiki. Close though.

wangyu

When did top 5 leagues becomes a thing?
Yeah it irks me too, historically the Portuguese and Dutch leages have a far greater history, even the Belgian league has amassed its fair share of European cup finalists (all 3 cups combined I mean)
There is the big 4 and the 3 challenger leagues behind them, Portugal, Holland and France. I even struggle finding a French team that is a genuine historical top club. Marseille and St Etienne maybe but even that is stretching it imo.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Yeah it irks me too, historically the Portuguese and Dutch leages have a far greater history, even the Belgian league has amassed its fair share of European cup finalists (all 3 cups combined I mean)
There is the big 4 and the 3 challenger leagues behind them, Portugal, Holland and France. I even struggle finding a French team that is a genuine historical top club. Marseille and St Etienne maybe but even that is stretching it imo.
Marseille is one.

France has been a top 5 league since the 90s.

Btw the "top 4" stuff was created in the 21th century, as Premier League was not a top 4 league in the 90s, back then they were behind Bundesliga and Ligue 1 in UEFA coefficient, and that didn't change until the early 2000s.

There was no top 4 concept before the 2000s, especially because before the Bosman rule, you had many teams from different leagues doing well in Europe, unlike now (21th century) where the portuguese and dutch league are irrelevant, and it's all about Spain,England, Italy, and Germany because of money.

wangyu

Marseille is one.

France has been a top 5 league since the 90s.

Btw the "top 4" stuff was created in the 21th century, as Premier League was not a top 4 league in the 90s, back then they were behind Bundesliga and Ligue 1 in UEFA coefficient, and that didn't change until the early 2000s.

There was no top 4 concept before the 2000s, especially because before the Bosman rule, you had many teams from different leagues doing well in Europe, unlike now (21th century) where the portuguese and dutch league are irrelevant, and it's all about Spain,England, Italy, and Germany because of money.
You can go all the way back to see the UEFA coefficient from the very beginning. Spain, England and Germany have almost always been in the top 4 best performing leagues. England dropped down dramatically after the Heisel drama when they couldn’t collect points for 5 years. This meant only a few English teams went into Europe in 1991. Luckily Utd straight away won EC 2 but overall it took the English clubs years to go back to the level they were in the 80s.

It is true though that there was a lot more competition back then. The way things are going the French and Italian leagues will become irrelevant as well in years to come. EPL is the one and only money league. This is why the elite clubs want to form a super league.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Troyes is budget is what? Not even the salary of Messi every year (certainly not even a fraction of Mbappe!)? It's like a retirement tour playing for the Harlem Globetrotters. At least he should be fit and ready for the World Cup than can be a better swan song.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Troyes is budget is what? Not even the salary of Messi every year (certainly not even a fraction of Mbappe!)? It's like a retirement tour playing for the Harlem Globetrotters. At least he should be fit and ready for the World Cup than can be a better swan song.
Yet it was a close game. People keep ignoring it but City are more dominant in the PL than PsG are in the French league. Yet City players are championed their heroics.

cyberman

I doubt anyone has more goals than him outside the box even if we remove the top 5 league criteria.
I’m just wondering when did top 5 become a thing. Looking at coefficients they aren’t far off dropping to 7th /8th and I wouldn’t immediately say that French football is above Portugueses football as an example

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It annoys me so much that it makes me happy that he plays well again. Fecking PSG…

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’m just wondering when did top 5 become a thing. Looking at coefficients they aren’t far off dropping to 7th /8th and I wouldn’t immediately say that French football is above Portugueses football as an example
The reason is purely practical. Advanced stats providers started by focusing on what is perceived as the top 5 leagues simply due to a lack of resources to go beyond that and started making that distinction when mentioning stats across several leagues.

Edit: Regarding french football, french football is better in depth and it's not close. But Benfica and Porto have historically been as good as the top french sides.

Gehrman

Don't know why people just cant enjoy his exquisite goals and assists even if its for PSG in the french league. 95% of his games are going to be there, so I dont why everyone wants to bring it up everytime he plays some good football. We all know its not the PL or La liga. Its just nice seeing a great of the game returning to some good form at 35 in what may be his final season.

Last edited:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I might be wrong but don't you have a starter called Thiago Silva at Chelsea, who's starting almost every game at 38 even after almost a decade in Ligue 1? Did it make him terrible? Didn't Chelsea break the transfer record for a center back for Fofana, who's a pure Ligue 1 product? Weren't your last most dominant players (Hazard and Kante) from Ligue 1? What about Mendy?

Ligue 1 is a very physical league, any player who plays in France will say so, it's nothing comparable to a retirement tour.

We all know its not the PL or La liga. Its just nice seeing a great of the game returning to some good form at 35 in what may be his final season.
There's far more physical intensity in Ligue 1 compared to La Liga. But unfotunately, french gaffers suck and the spanish league is far superior in terms of offensive production.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
yeah but don’t forget a lot of these european matches start super late, 9pm in some instances. those goalkeeper farmers have been up and working the best part of 15 hours by then.

Son

Messi has become a Harden/Westbrook of football :D. He'll stat-pad against minions and disappear when thing get tough. I hope Real gets PSG again in the knock-out phase, you just know he'll turn to shit.
Didn’t PSG dominate Real Madrid last season in both legs? Mbappe couldn’t finish that was the problem. He should have had about 5 goals.

Still boggles my mind how you beat City and PSG after getting totally outplayed by both.

It’s almost like a Madrid cult that re-writes history pretending they weren’t the huge underdogs to anyone watching those games. Not to mention he’s historically dominated your club on the pitch himself.

Your team isn’t really all that good. Get used to it.

IhabX7

Didn’t PSG dominate Real Madrid last season in both legs? Mbappe couldn’t finish that was the problem. He should have had about 5 goals.

Still boggles my mind how you beat City and PSG after getting totally outplayed by both.

It’s almost like a Madrid cult that re-writes history pretending they weren’t the huge underdogs to anyone watching those games. Not to mention he’s historically dominated your club on the pitch himself.

Mbappe was the problem? Talks of him winning Ballon d'Or after those matches. Messi was bad in those games, Mbappe was elite.

Gehrman

I agree ... Messi's career can be summarized as:
"Euro 2012 winner Jordi Alba passes the ball to 2010 World Cup winner Pique.
2010 World cup winner Pique passes the ball to 5 time UEFA team of the year and 2019 Copa America Golden Ball winner Dani Alves.
5 time UEFA team of the year and 2019 Copa America Golden Ball winner Dani Alves passes the ball to 2010 World Cup winner Iniesta.
2010 World Cup winner Iniesta passes the ball to other 2010 World Cup winner Busquets.
2010 World Cup winner Busquets passes the ball to 2010 World Cup winner Xavi.
2010 World Cup winner Xavi passes the ball to 2011 Copa America Best Player and 2014 Premier League Player of the Season winner Luis Suarez.
2011 Copa America Best Player and 2014 Premier League Player of the Season Luis Suarez passes the ball to perennial B d'Or nominee and Brazil Captain Neymar.
Perennial B d'Or nominee and Brazil Captain Neymar dribbles past the entire Union Esportiva Cornella defense and cuts the ball across an empty net to Messi.
Messi blasts it in and makes it 7-1.
Golazo! Golazo! Gooooooaaaaallll! Messiiiiiii !!! Messi was absolutely magisterial! Guaranteed B d'Or winner!"

Golazo! Golazo! Gooooaaaalll! Messiiii!!!! Messi was absolutely magisterial! Guaranteed B d'Or winner!

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid

Mbape was by far the best PSG's player in this tie, what are you smoking :lol: ?

Messi hasn't dominated Marid for more than half a decade, get used to it.

Not even sure how to comment the last part. Real Madrid has won more CL in the last decade than almost every club in their entire history, but yeah sure, they are not really all that good. The coping is strong with you.

Anduin

I really don’t see the difference for Messi in playing against the likes of Almeria, Elche, Getafe, Girona, Celta Vigo or Rayo compared to Troyes, Brest, Auxerre, Clermont or Lorient (even though they are good this season). I would say La Liga is more technical than Ligue 1, while the French top league is way more physical. There is a noticeable difference at the top level competition-wise (Real, Atleti, Sevilla, Betis, Villarreal v Marseille, Lyon, Lille, Monaco) which relates to the difference in UEFA coefficient, but I think it’s safe to say Messi would’ve just continued to perform at the same level in La Liga had he stayed in Barcelona. From this point, I don’t really get the “retirement league” reactions, he’s been playing well in every competition this season.

Hoof the ball

I really don’t see the difference for Messi in playing against the likes of Almeria, Elche, Getafe, Girona, Celta Vigo or Rayo compared to Troyes, Brest, Auxerre, Clermont or Lorient (even though they are good this season). I would say La Liga is more technical than Ligue 1, while the French top league is way more physical. There is a noticeable difference at the top level competition-wise (Real, Atleti, Sevilla, Betis, Villarreal v Marseille, Lyon, Lille, Monaco) which relates to the difference in UEFA coefficient, but I think it’s safe to say Messi would’ve just continued to perform at the same level in La Liga had he stayed in Barcelona. From this point, I don’t really get the “retirement league” reactions, he’s been playing well in every competition this season.
Yep. Funny how Barca are back-to-back Europa League post-Messi. Hmmm.

cyberman

See those poor La Liga teams you mentioned? Now imagine a league full of them without pressure to win the league.

antk

See those poor La Liga teams you mentioned? Now imagine a league full of them without pressure to win the league.
In the eleven years since QSI bought PSG, Barcelona has won 6 league titles, PSG 8.

Granted the average gap between 1st and 2nd was higher in France than Spain.