Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Pep's Suit

PSG are going to be fun to watch this season.
Hope they sign Pogba next season and field a front 6 of Mbappe, Messi, Neymar, Adm, Pogba and Verratti.

At this point I don't even care about the FFP anymore because it's clearly a joke, so might as well give up and enjoy what on paper is probably the biggest star studded lineup of this generation.

I don't even care about the CL anymore, if I'm being honest, it's just a competition that I watch now.

Hope we can start winning leagues titles again.
To be honest, for last few years I've been treating football like it's a movie franchise or tv series or something. It should be fun and entertaining, no reason to be emotionally involved.

Pep's Suit

They’d struggle with prime Kante if they are essentially 3 men down when defending
I think they'll go with 3-4-3 in tough games anyway. Messi can't play wide position anymore and what's the point of Hakimi if he has to play in back 4? Also allows them to have more bodies in the middle but will be interesting how they deal with teams with quick transitions.

Donnaruma
Marquinhos - Ramos - Kimpembe
Hakimi - Verratti - Wijnaldum - Bernat
Mbappe - Messi - Neymar

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
PSG's transfer window can't be far off that Madrid window in 2009 in terms of sheer quality they've brought in. Would not fancy drawing them in the CL this season.

Pep's Suit

PSG's transfer window can't be far off that Madrid window in 2009 in terms of sheer quality they've brought in. Would not fancy drawing them in the CL this season.
They're in pot 2, right? So hopefully go against City, Bayern or Chelsea in group stage.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think they'll go with 3-4-3 in tough games anyway. Messi can't play wide position anymore and what's the point of Hakimi if he has to play in back 4? Also allows them to have more bodies in the middle but will be interesting how they deal with teams with quick transitions.

Donnaruma
Marquinhos - Ramos - Kimpembe
Hakimi - Verratti - Wijnaldum - Bernat
Mbappe - Messi - Neymar
That is still a hard team to defend with on transitions as none of the front three are especially bothered to press or track back. I suspect counter attacking teams like us, Liverpool and Chelsea will do well against them.

Castia

On paper Messi, Neymar and Mbappe is insane and against half the sides in France it will rip them apart but all 3 players offer little to no support going backwards, the team will be carrying 3 players in their defensive shape.

gungho

I'm crying lads, why did he have to end up at that cnut factory*? He's a phenomenon, only has a few years left in the game and now I'm forced to watch that shit show to see him play :mad: I hate that team with a passion ever since they were dancing around the pitch in that CL game against us, arrogant pricks

* money, his mates are there etc.

Last edited:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
82m before tax. 1,9m per week.
This is getting ridiculous. Even if he really earns 25M after tax (which isn't a given since no journalist seems accurate about that, they're all very confused by the gross/net/net after tax differences, a lot of sources in France mention 35M before tax, so 18M after tax), it would mean a gross salary of 50M, so 0.96M per week, basically half of what you claim.

And it's not even accurate since a part of this salary is image rights, which isn't taxed in France so you can't apply the same tax rate.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I might be bitter but is it me or does that team look comically unbalanced? That front four doesn't look like it'll track back and work hard defensively, leaving a lot of the legwork to the double pivot of Veratti and Wijnaldum which I'm not entirely convinced will work.

Sure it looks great on FIFA, but in the real world I can see them getting caught out against high tempo sides in the Champions league.
You’re right - it is pretty imbalanced. I’m sure they’ll revert to a back 3 in bigger CL matches.

LoneStar

Their biggest challenge will be to stay fit and ready for the CL. You can afford to play a very attacking lineup against weaker opposition, but that might not translate to the CL.

If PSG don't win the the CL in the next 2 years, they must be the biggest bottlers of all time.

Jaxa

People laughed in the other thread but I genuinely would of much preferred to have seen him at like a Spurs or Arsenal - what kind of difference would he make to a team like that at the moment. Even an AC Milan or United who it’s going close to 10 years without a domestic title. Going to PSG is just meh even if he wins the Champions League.
Eh ? we literally just seen that at his old club Barca, he couldn't help them win the league or UCL with the likes of Griezmann , Dembele, De Jong, Pique, Alba and co so he's hardly going to make a great difference to a team playing alongside Granit Xhaka , Aubameyang, Pepe etc

You can be the best player ever but if you don't have great players around you then you'll never win anything (99% of the time anyway, i accept there is sometimes anomalies) , football is a team sport, you can get away with maybe 1 or 2 B Grade players but you need a solid core of 8-9 talented players to win trophies. it's like people getting annoyed we are not winning trophies with Pogba, Cavani, Rashford, Bruno etc in the team while we also have McTominay, Fred, Dan James, Martial, Lindelof, a Very Poor De Gea etc , what do you expect, there all not good enough and the names just mentioned make up for over half of our team and some in key positions, De Gea and Lindelof especially.

Messi will be back to his best because he has insane talent around him, why on earth would he want to play with crap players at the end of his career with little chance at winning trophies, he has no connections to the teams you mentioned either, the only real team that would have seemed logical outside of PSG was City because of Pep but that seems to have no legs.

I agree PSG is a boring option to the neutral like ourselves but i really don't blame him, as a football player you want to play with the best because usually you end up winning trophies at the end of it, Messi also hasn't won the UCL in over 5 years so I am sure this is what he really wants before he bows out the game.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The Sky News presenter just referred to him as "6-time Balloon Door winner Lionel Messi."

Daniel_de_Foe

Supports
Member of the BLPA
One thing for sure. PSG will be the universally most hated club in the history of football since Hitlers Schalke.

I hope they will lose a lot of games, because every player thinks he is too precious to run back and defend.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Will this move inspire Neymar to come out of semi-retirement and play football full-time again?

MadMike

What facts? He's laid waste to every top English team. Why would joining City, for example, be more of a challenge than joining a team that didn't win league 1 last season?

The premier League isn't the be all, end all.
What facts? The fact that English league is clearly stronger than the French. It's not a fact? When did you last look at rankings?

What has laying waste to every top English team even have to do with it? The league is still a bigger challenge than the French.

It's not Messi's quality we're arguing against, it's his appetite to take on another hard challenge. He's going to the worst of the top 5 leagues, joining a team that's won the title 7 times in the last 9 years and one that has 10 times the budget of the second team. Again, facts.

Your strawman arguments are laughable.

Poltophagy

He has destroyed his legacy. My estimation of him plummeted when I heard the news. Of all the clubs he could have gone to, he chose the most plastic, despicable of them all just to line his pockets.

Gee Male

The bolded bit is almost unintelligible, but had you read the post to which you originally replied, you'd have noticed a comparison between which would be a bigger challenge: joining the Premier League, or joining PSG.

And the answer is that it depends on which team he would have joined in England. We know that he's laid waste to every top team in the Premier League and had he joined City, that's much less of a challenge than joining a team (PSG) that aren't even champions of their own League.
You can't believe that joining PSG is the same challenge as joining City?

Neither have won CL, City are in an infinitely more competitive and challenging league.

That's one of the worst arguments I've seen in favour of Messi joining a team that makes him irrelevant other than CL game weeks.

romufc

He has destroyed his legacy. My estimation of him plummeted when I heard the news. Of all the clubs he could have gone to, he chose the most plastic, despicable of them all just to line his pockets.
Money talks. He has won everything at club level and now its a time to enjoy his time in Paris getting a nice contract.

Realistically, he only needs to turn up for 10 CL games? The rest of the time he can play at walking pace.

MadMike

He wrecked every single team you mentioned in the CL. He's got nothing to prove.

He's going to PSG for a last shot at the CL and stay fit for the WC 2022. After that maybe a season at Newell Old Boys (his boyhood club) and that's it imo. Enjoy him and CR7, there's not much time left.
As I said....

Prove =/= challenge.

He's obviously proven. He's also clearly chosen the money over a continuing challenge. I don't blame him for it, I'm just stating facts.

TheLiverBird

Which other team should he have gone to then??

no actually, which other teams had a package offer formally laid out on the table for him?? Other than PSG?

As far as we are aware, and the media, there was only one option available

and considering he can’t go back to Barca…..what’s he to do?

You are literally saying he’s a fool for taking the only offer made :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cloud7

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a discussion as full of bitterness as the Messi to PSG threads.

MadMike

It's interesting because players are criticized when they don't move to a better team because they allegedly fear competition, they are criticized when they move to better teams because they lack loyalty or shy away from challenge, they are laughed at when they don't maximize their revenues and are called dummies, they are also criticized when they do maximize their revenues because they are greedy.

Basically if a player doesn't join your club, he has a character flaw.
Fans are not a hive mind, each has their own opinions and everything you do as a player, some fans will agree and some will disagree. The fact that there'll always be criticism doesn't mean it comes form the same people who act bipolar though. We weren't even in for him as Utd, so I'm not sure how the last sentence stacks up.

I don't blame him for going to PSG, I would definitely be doing the same. It's not a character flaw that he's choosing the fattest pay packet in the easiest of the top 5 leagues for his twilight years. It's a conscious choice that shows his priorities. they're not bad or good.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Prove =/= challenge.

He's obviously proven. He's also clearly chosen the money over a continuing challenge. I don't blame him for it, I'm just stating facts.
I doubt he would have gone with PSG, if City or anyother club came up with an attractive contract. Cristiano didn't went to Juventus because of challenge, he went because they offered him more money than Real, and he knew Juventus will give him a chance to challenge for CL, outside of Real given they came close twice last decade.

Money talks, and all this challenge thing is a romanticism which practically is not possible.

Would I have loved to see Messi in PL with United, definitely, having the bragging rights of having employed both Cristiano and Messi is something surreal.

MadMike

Money talks, and all this challenge thing is a romanticism which practically is not possible.
Wtf are you on about? Of course it's possible, plenty of players turned away more money either for the love of their local club or for a playing in more challenging leagues.

It's rare, sure, but impossible? Come off it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fans are not a hive mind, each has their own opinions and everything you do as a player, some fans will agree and some will disagree. The fact that there'll always be criticism doesn't mean it comes form the same people who act bipolar though. We weren't even in for him as Utd, so I'm not sure how the last sentence stacks up.

I don't blame him for going to PSG, I would definitely be doing the same. It's not a character flaw that he's choosing the fattest pay packet in the easiest of the top 5 leagues for his twilight years. It's a conscious choice that shows his priorities. they're not bad or good.
Fans are definitely a hive mind, like a very large amount of other groups of people. It's a normal social dynamic. But here the point I made is that it barely matters what someone does a large amount of people will have a critical issue. Also I didn't say that it was the same people, I listed a range of common complains from football fans.

mav_9me

Does anyone else compare their salaries to these players'?
Makes my stomach turn.
I mean, sure he deserves it and all, but it still makes me sick.

As for his career, it is even more important for the football Gods to ensure that they don't win the UCL.
It's very simple. Would you rather the clubs and owners make all the money without players getting much? Cuz the reason we watch is for them no?

I have zero issues with their money.

Ixion

In terms of history, ability etc I rank him above Ronaldo but I respect Ronaldo going to Italy more than Messi going to a farmers league.