Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
You must have problems with your vision then because I'll be shocked if many players had more touches of the ball than him.
:lol: Touches on the ball. How many touches did Benzema have? Which touches mattered?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Stop coping and making yourself look like a joke.

He ghosted. He's finished. Deal with it.

Ah you must be one of those weirdo fan guys, are you attempting to "trigger me"? :lol: I don't really care if he's finished or not.

How can a man be finished if he was one of the best performers on the pitch?

Him and Verrati bossed the game until the defence shit the bed.

bakalhau

Really hurts seeing him play lately. Ronaldo not doing too well lately either.

His passing is just sublime still, and eternal, at least.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
:lol: Touches on the ball. How many touches did Benzema have? Which touches mattered?

Err.. cause it means he was involved in the play and not ... invisible???

Benzema scored the goals. Nobody is disputing that :lol: I didn't claim he was invisible did I?

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Just not that guy anymore. It makes sense why he went to ligue 1 slower pace if he had gone to a more difficult league they would have ran through him on the pitch I reckon. Truly the end of an era.
Not necessarily. He really picked the wrong team to go to. If he was at Manchester City, which he should have gone to the season before, he would be closer to the box all the time and it would have been perfect for him. Ligue 1 is actually the worst league he could have gone to because it is arguably the most physical league of the top 5 leagues. The issue is, he needs to be in a structure and he doesn't have that burst of pace anymore. His passing is still very good and his press resistance is decent.

The problem at PSG is the same at Barcelona when he was there. No one can give him the ball in dangerous areas so he has to drop deep to facilitate play. This is an issue because when he loses the ball in the centre, his team can get counter attacked straight away.

Red_White_Cathedral

I always wonder, if players that can't be bothered to run during a match, act any different during training.

It's insane how quickly Messi's athleticism has declined, but that wouldn't really be a suprise, if he doesn't work on it. Otherwise it's also incredible, how long he was able to be the best player without really working for it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Err.. cause it means he was involved in the play and not ... invisible???

Benzema scored the goals. Nobody is disputing that :lol: I didn't claim he was invisible did I?
Claiming touches on the ball is a staggering reach. He did nothing for 90 mins. Biggest game of the season.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not necessarily. He really picked the wrong team to go to. If he was at Manchester City, which he should have gone to the season before, he would be closer to the box all the time and it would have been perfect for him. Ligue 1 is actually the worst league he could have gone to because it is arguably the most physical league of the top 5 leagues. The issue is, he needs to be in a structure and he doesn't have that burst of pace anymore. His passing is still very good and his press resistance is decent.

The problem at PSG is the same at Barcelona when he was there. No one can give him the ball in dangerous areas so he has to drop deep to facilitate play. This is an issue because when he loses the ball in the centre, his team can get counter attacked straight away.
He doesn't move off the ball. He wants the ball to feet every single time.

We can't keep blaming others for his complete resistance to making any runs off the ball.

He drops deep for another reason too. It's an easier way for him to collect the ball.

PSG have plenty of creative players to get him the ball in dangerous areas.

SirMonteyne

At least Ronaldo makes few big chances in a match, can't believe Messi has been this bad. Everyone just running around him like he is not there. So sad

cyberman

The amount of CL collapses on Messis team resume is startling at his stage

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It's sad to see him like this. Really hope he calls it quits in Europe after this season and goes back to Argentina or something like that. He has nothing left to gain here, and won't win anything significant at PSG, especially if Mbappe is gone next season.

YooNow

You must have problems with your vision then because I'll be shocked if many players had more touches of the ball than him.
Had more touches = more turnovers

That was a terrible performance by Messi, deal with it

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid

Are you really arguing that players like Neymar, Verratti, Mbape aren't capable of putting Messi in dangerous position? I couldn't disagree more, the problem is Messi and his lack of off ball movement. He is just terrible without the ball at his feet.

Jericho

He still has so much class on the ball he’s obviously not what he once was. In terms of being the match winner he once was he’s probably done, just not Ronaldo done.

cyberman

He still has so much class on the ball he’s obviously not what he once was. In terms of being the match winner he once was he’s probably done, just not Ronaldo done.
I think he’s worse than Ronaldo at this stage, I really do. At least Ronaldo gets in position to miss big chances, there’s still something there
Messi just disappears

Volksie316

Messi has been a lot better than Ronaldo overall this season, so all this Messi bashing is utter nonsense.

Yes he hasn't scored much or as many as Ronaldo, but his overall play is a million times more better than Ronaldo and his assists prove that, this season.

Messi was great in the first half tonight, and like all PSG players, did not turn up in the 2nd half.

That's it.

End of story.

Cloud7

It's sad seeing him and Ronaldo these days. Their days as the undisputed best are over and it's just not the same anymore.

Cloud7

I think he’s worse than Ronaldo at this stage, I really do. At least Ronaldo gets in position to miss big chances, there’s still something there
Messi just disappears
So true but also so funny :lol:

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Messi just disappears
Ronaldo plays as a poacher while Messi plays deep in the midfield, big difference..

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Literally, the last good thing he did in the UCL was that free-kick against the vermin in 2019...

The Messi/CR era is over, for real.

PoTMS

He's 2 years younger than Ronaldo. Ronaldo at his age was still tearing up Serie A.

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's a bit annoying people act like Ronaldo and Messi owe them good performances at their age. I don't get the sadness or aggression or bitterness over their poor performances. They are old. Get over it

cyberman

Ronaldo plays as a poacher while Messi plays deep in the midfield, big difference..
That’s why Messi is worse? He hasn’t the legs to play up top, he hasn’t got the ability to change his game.
to be honest why should he? It’s not a law to play at the highest level until you’re 36

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
He doesn't move off the ball. He wants the ball to feet every single time.

We can't keep blaming others for his complete resistance to making any runs off the ball.

He drops deep for another reason too. It's an easier way for him to collect the ball.

PSG have plenty of creative players to get him the ball in dangerous areas.
Oh that's a given. His laziness off the ball is well documented. He is at fault for that as well. He actually pressed this game which shocked me. Actually I disagree about the players giving him balls in dangerous areas. Veratti and Neymar kept losing even easy passes. His time is over anyways. Happens to every great player.

Eddy_JukeZ

Oh that's a given. His laziness off the ball is well documented. He is at fault for that as well. He actually pressed this game which shocked me. Actually I disagree about the players giving him balls in dangerous areas. Veratti and Neymar kept losing even easy passes. His time is over anyways. Happens to every great player.
Their supply to him wasn't great this game, but I don't think it's a consistent theme.

But yes, he is pretty much finished as a top level difference maker in the Champions League. Time catches up to everyone.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Oh look, another collapse on his resume. I still have him in my top 3 of all time but he isn't the guy you want when your back is up against the wall.

Jericho

Messi just disappears
Much of a muchness I suppose. To me it looks like Ronaldo’s decline has been physical. He can’t seem to do anything right. While Messi‘s decline has been more mental. Unlike Ronaldo he looks competent on the ball but he just doesn’t seem to have the drive or desire to do anything.He just hangs out in midfield.

Eddy_JukeZ

Oh look, another collapse on his resume. I still have him in my top 3 of all time but he isn't the guy you want when your back is up against the wall.
In my top 3 too, but if I had a game with my life on the line, I'm picking Maradona over him easily.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
In my top 3 too, but if I had a game with my life on the line, I'm picking Maradona over him easily.
Agreed. He would be way further down my list if that was the criteria.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
That’s why Messi is worse? He hasn’t the legs to play up top, he hasn’t got the ability to change his game.
to be honest why should he? It’s not a law to play at the highest level until you’re 36
Nope, you think that he is worse while many think he has been doing better since January. Ronaldo is a poacher and scored 1 goal in 11 games since January. My point was it does not make sense to compare both just looking at goals as Messi (as Messi plays deep in the midfield as a playmaker) has the most assists in Ligue 1 despite having a mediocre season and is the 2nd top goal scorer at PSG in CL..

And, I agree Messi has clearly regressed, no doubt about that.

Last edited: