Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

fergosaurus

That assist for the third goal tonight will be played for decades to come when people bring up the goat discussion. 36 years old at his last World Cup in the semi final and he does that?
We are witnessing greatness
The one against the Dutch was special too but he somehow managed to eclipse that with tonight's wizardry.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
This would be true if it was an individual sport. But it isn't it's a team sport. There's only so much one out of 11 players can do. If they come up against a firing France on Sunday Argentina is probably gonna lose that. And that will not be because Messi choked, but because France is a better football team. Messi has been world class this tournament whether he wins the title come Sunday or not, and that is only gonna add to his GOAT-status.

Also, serious question here: if Messi picked up the ball with his hand on Sunday and threw into the goal and somehow the ref and VAR managed to miss, and that is the winning goal - would he suddenly be the greatest of all time then?
Scoring with his hand is what made Maradona the greatest ever.

el3mel

Messi winning this World Cup will settle the GOAT debate for good, and it'll be best for everyone. Hopefully he pulls it out.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
It will always be a discussion because there is a man who debuted at a World Cup at 17 and scored 5 goals in his first World Cup, went onto win another one at 30 and in between that time was embarrassing any defender he faced whether European or South American, a true number 10 who could score and assist and playmake shoot with both feet dribble and was ace in the air.

As long as there is Pele there will always be a debate for me and a lot of people, Messi is right up there though and personally would have him number 1 but there is little he can do to erase what others who have done before him.
A wise post right here.

Eddy_JukeZ

It will always be a discussion because there is a man who debuted at a World Cup at 17 and scored 5 goals in his first World Cup, went onto win another one at 30 and in between that time was embarrassing any defender he faced whether European or South American, a true number 10 who could score and assist and playmake shoot with both feet dribble and was ace in the air.

As long as there is Pele there will always be a debate for me and a lot of people, Messi is right up there though and personally would have him number 1 but there is little he can do to erase what others who have done before him.
Well said.

There's no need to diminish others to prop up Messi.

I have him and Maradona neck and neck(might lean Messi after this WC), but Pele to me still has the best argument for GOAT.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
At least the debate is Messi v Pele/Maradona now. A frankly more entertaining and worthwhile debate. For me he was always third in line until he wins a World Cup but two finals in addition to a magnificent club career probably puts him top of the pile… if he wins on weekend, cements him as numero uno. This Argentina side is nowhere near as good as Pele sides… it would be a magnificent achievement.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Aargh apologies, bud. You are a PSG fan, right? Possibly why i thought you're French and would be supporting France.
I'm not a PSG fan. Why would you say such a thing? I'm a United fan. :lol:

Eddy_JukeZ

At least the debate is Messi v Pele/Maradona now. A frankly more entertaining and worthwhile debate. For me he was always third in line until he wins a World Cup but two finals in addition to a magnificent club career probably puts him top of the pile… if he wins on weekend, cements him as numero uno. This Argentina side is nowhere near as good as Pele sides… it would be a magnificent achievement.
Don't you think his performances in the WC were more important than him winning it? Team sport after all.

Pele's got two WC titles 12 years apart playing a key role in both and a magnificent club career too. It's an interesting argument between the two.

MostHandsomePlayer

PSG are terrible. They give up so many chances. Doesn't help to have 3 lazy forwards. And when they play together, there is too much overlap. For a team with Messi, Neymar, Mbappe they really are shit.

King Pablo

Supports
Leeds United
In my opinion Messi is the greatest ever.

His sheer volume of records is unmatched.

His goalscoring and assist numbers are unmatched (or atleast nobody has both, some compare on one or the other).

But crucially His longevity is unmatched.

He has been the best or top 3 best players in the world for well over a decade.

At his age now Maradona had been done at the elite level for years and Pele was in the MLS.

His numbers are practically unmatched but it's his longevity that gives him the edge.

Reactions: Invictus

Ole'sattheWheel

The one against the Dutch was special too but he somehow managed to eclipse that with tonight's wizardry.
Yeah. If Argentina win it this year it will be undisputed imo. People will look back on this tournament for the rest of time as the one that made Messi the goat.
Even if he does nothing in the final

Frank Grimes

Messi is a genius, we are lucky to witness his greatness. To be so good at 35 years of age is unbelievable. His consistency of brilliance over his career puts him in top 3 players of all time and a great shout for the best. I would like to see him crown his career with the World Cup now but even if he doesn't his place is secured.

Ted Lasso

Might be that I'm just not remembering well but this WC performance has been miles above Messi's performance last time Argentina made it to the final. Very impressive considering he's that much older now.

It feels like the Cops America win has broken the spell on him in international tourneys

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Don't you think his performances in the WC were more important than him winning it? Team sport after all.

Pele's got two WC titles 12 years apart playing a key role in both and a magnificent club career too. It's an interesting argument between the two.
If Messi wins it, it will be between Pele and Messi for the number 1 spot. Currently he is second and maradona 3rd for me. I personally think that Beckenbaur should also make this table of 4 (Tier S). The rest including CR7 and Cryuff belongs to the next tier

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well said.

There's no need to diminish others to prop up Messi.

I have him and Maradona neck and neck(might lean Messi after this WC), but Pele to me still has the best argument for GOAT.
How many 90 minute games did you watch Pele play to form that opinion? Because you must have watched an absolute shit load of Messi games. Good and (occasionally) bad. Not just a highlight reel, which is basically all that exists for Pele.

I find it really strange the way anyone can be certain that someone like Maradonna or Pele is definitely better than Messi when they’re working off such scanty evidence.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
How many 90 minute games did you watch Pele play to form that opinion? Because you must have watched an absolute shit load of Messi games. Good and (occasionally) bad. Not just a highlight reel, which is basically all that exists for Pele.

I find it really strange the way anyone can be certain that someone like Maradonna or Pele is definitely better than Messi when they’re working off such scanty evidence.
Plenty of full games of both, I find the people who put effort in to watch thier games really appreciate the full extent of their game/skills .

Plenty of books, articles and documentaries around to get a feel of the context too which makes a big difference on how you see these older players. Especially Maradona who's back story is particularly unique .

beer&grill

The greatest doesn’t lose the two biggest games of his career though. In an era where Ronaldo wasn’t given credit for winning the Euros because he was subbed off it’s hard to ignore Messis failings here if he does lose.
For too many years now in these sort of big games, the big knockout games, Messi has underperformed with his team and have seen some truest shocking results since they last won the CL in 2015. To have another one on top of that, on top of another losing World Cup final on top top of that as well, would be too much.
He’ll still have the rightful claim to greatest player of all time but he’s lose the argument for the all time great. How Pele would be behind him after that wouldn’t be fair
Now we see him with a fantastic Argentina side and he’s still playing stupidly well. There really isn’t an excuse for any underperformance come Sunday and that’s against France. Lose v Morocco and feck knows where it leaves him.
Oh, come on, stop talking about Messi losing two games, it would be Argentina who’d lose two games. Argentina! 10 players other than Messi, maybe 15 at the end of match considering subs. Are you aware that one man isn’t even 10% of the team? One player out of 16 means 6.25%. Does that look like an outstanding percentage? What if Messi scores 2 goals and Martinez channels his inner Karius? Would it be Messi’s fault for losing? Was it Messi’s fault for Higuain missing that chance? Is Messi responsible for clean sheets? There’s only so much one player can influence and Messi has done it countless times over 17 years, no player comes even close to that. Anything else is nitpicking.

KeanoMagicHat

Doesn't it work the other way though equally (moreso with Pele) where how can you certain than Messi is better than Pele, for example, because you haven't seen enough of Pele to know? Some of Pele's best games apparently, including his best goal according to reports, aren't even on film.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Oh, come on, stop talking about Messi losing two games, it would be Argentina who’d lose two games. Argentina! 10 players other than Messi, maybe 15 at the end of match considering subs. Are you aware that one man isn’t even 10% of the team? One player out of 16 means 6.25%. Does that look like an outstanding percentage? What if Messi scores 2 goals and Martinez channels his inner Karius? Would it be Messi’s fault for losing? Was it Messi’s fault for Higuain missing that chance? Is Messi responsible for clean sheets? There’s only so much one player can influence and Messi has done it countless times over 17 years, no player comes even close to that. Anything else is nitpicking.
Better give it up. The poster you quoted will always find an argument against Messi and will try to disguise it as legit criticism. This is leading nowhere. He'll either understand it by himself in a few years when it is probably to late to fully enjoy the occasion or he'll never will.

Zen

Doesn't it work the other way though equally (moreso with Pele) where how can you certain than Messi is better than Pele, for example, because you haven't seen enough of Pele to know? Some of Pele's best games apparently, including his best goal according to reports, aren't even on film.
You mean this banger?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Yes, I think so as well. Even if you saw them play and your memories don't fool you because you maybe rewatched the games recently.. there are far too many variables to be considered to draw any real conclusion. It's by no means a leveled playing field. Some who thrived under the harsher conditions of the past might not be fit for the highly professional and systematic football landscape they'd find these days. It's always about context and when it differs so much, there's really no point in comparing. I mean, we've already seen how hard it is to compare two players of the same era because they play in different teams or positions. Between two different eras, you could probably bring up endless arguments for and against each player. The difference in quality has to be really clear to draw a conclusion and I struggle to see how this is the case for any of those who are in contention.

Eddy_JukeZ

Nowhere near the amount of full games as Messi's, but there is a website with full games of old players. It doesn't necessarily have their greatest games. The argument you present can go both ways in my opinion.

Also, I never said definitely better to be fair. I think all 3 are very close.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He can’t be called the greatest if he loses 2 World Cup finals. It’s all or nothing for his optimum legacy this Sunday
He's called the greatest already. The final is about strengthening that claim. Actually scratch that the final is about, and people forget this, winning the darn world cup for Argentina.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
If somebody's reasoning for Messi not being the GOAT is that "Too often in recent years Messi hasn't shown up at the big knockout moments" while simultaneously ignoring the fact he's scored against Mexico (practically a knock out considering the opening result ) , Australia, Netherlands (+ a worldy assist) and tonight vs Croatia (+ another worldy assist) in the past 3 weeks then you just have to take a step back and allow them to continue their weirdo agenda.