g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Tbf Ronaldos physique isn't exactly unobtainable without ped use or modern medicine, I made the assumption with Messi that we were just counting his ability in the discussion
It is not, but it's no secret that modern players use peds and other shit that is barely legal to enhance physical resistance and endurance, plus all the modern training that we see nowadays.

FriedClams

Yeah I think @jm99 it's missing the point.

Ronaldo and Messi in the 80s, would be a complete different thing comparing to their modern version, one wouldn't have the physique he had to dominate, because lack of modern medicine,diet, training, etc and the other guy probably wouldn't even be a footballer.

Now imagine a talent like Maradona with better nutrition, better medicine,legals PEDs, and sport psychologists...scary.
it’s not scary, it’s Messi, almost literally.

tomaldinho1

the point is that everybody demands insane performances from Messi, if he has only a good game it will be a bad game for his ridiculous standards. He put the bar way too high.
Not sure that's true - it's simply a case of him being older and, naturally given his age and the type of player he is, having a role which I'm not sure is a net positive for the team when you play a team that is more or less equal to you. It's great offensively but not defensively and at the top level I don't know if this works, hence why I'd take the other two players today if I was putting together a team.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
so you think that PSG or Argentina would’ve been better teams with either Son or Mane in the place of Messi? I’m not sure that you’ve been watching football this last 10 months
Argentina no. PSG? Yeah, i think they'd be better with Mane. Not with Son. Although most of that comes down to the need to play all 3 of Neymar, Messi and Mbappé at the same time. Drop Neymar, and they're better off with Messi probably

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Yeah I think @jm99 it's missing the point.

Ronaldo and Messi in the 80s, would be a complete different thing comparing to their modern version, one wouldn't have the physique he had to dominate, because lack of modern medicine,diet, training, etc and the other guy probably wouldn't even be a footballer.

Now imagine a talent like Maradona with better nutrition, better medicine,legals PEDs, and sport psychologists...scary.
Indeed, or a Pele, who was already a phenomenal athlete. Imagine him with all these modern methods. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
it’s not scary, it’s Messi, almost literally.
On the subject of Cocaine earlier. Isnt it performing enhancing if you use it sparingly just before games? I know a daily habit isnt, but its not like playing drunk or a hangover like Best did sometimes.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Cesc Fabregas a couple of years ago on Twitter put out the question to his followers: what would you rather win in a football career - one World Cup or three Champions Leagues? IIRC, most people said the World Cup.
Yep, it's probably every footballers dream.

It's not the highest level of football though clearly. It's a prestigious tournament because it only happens every 4 years and player usually only get 2-3 chances at it in their career. That doesn't make the level of football better
You're conflating prestige and quality/highest level. Not sure why you're trying so hard to downplay the WC. Oh, actually I do know why.

For the individual player it depends on the manner you win it and the team you win it with. But yeah I dont think you and I disagree much tbh. The landscape of the WC is also skewed towards whatever nations have the strongest squads. Underdogs sometimes make it far, but they almost never win it. Croatia being a case in point recently. Marocco making the semi final was special.
Yep, absolutely. I think every sport's (except maybe for the US exceptionalism) pinnacle is basically international tournaments. Be it cricket, rugby, football....

BalanceUnAutreJoint

You just know he's going to ghost the Bayern game next week, get booed by PSG fans every matchday until May and still collect his ballon d'or by a landside come September

Pocho

You just know he's going to ghost the Bayern game next week, get booed by PSG fans every matchday until May and still collect his ballon d'or by a landside come September
he can do whatever he wants, he´s the GOAT and achieved everything he wanted to achieve. he didn´t ghost at the WC as others though.

jm99

On the subject of Cocaine earlier. Isnt it performing enhancing if you use it sparingly just before games? I know a daily habit isnt, but its not like playing drunk or a hangover like Best did sometimes.
I doubt it, it can be used as a performance enhancer for something like weightlifting where you need an immediate burst of strength, but to take something that increases your heart rate and blood pressure right before going out to do a very cardio intensive sport seems like it would be the opposite of performance enhancing

jm99

You're conflating prestige and quality/highest level. Not sure why you're trying so hard to downplay the WC. Oh, actually I do know why.
Nope there were definitely people arguing that because some players score less at international than club level it is a higher level of football

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I doubt it, it can be used as a performance enhancer for something like weightlifting where you need an immediate burst of strength, but to take something that increases your heart rate and blood pressure right before going out to do a very cardio intensive sport seems like it would be the opposite of performance enhancing
Indeed. I would see coke as the exact opposite of performance enhancing when it comes to football, and judging by the reputed habit Maradona had even in his playing days, he would have been a far better player without it.

SerendipityNow

Supports
Barcelona
I mean if Ronaldo had Messi's PR he's surely getting that ballon d'or 2018 pretty easily let's be honest here
And if we are beeing really honest, why didn't Messi win it? If you look at the numbers, individually, Messi was the best football player that year. But because of the World cup, he didn't. But this year, he did, and the goalposts kinda... moved? Hmmm!

BalanceUnAutreJoint

And if we are beeing really honest, why didn't Messi win it? If you look at the numbers, individually, Messi was the best football player that year. But because of the World cup, he didn't. But this year, he did, and the goalposts kinda... moved? Hmmm!
Might have something to do with his shameful CL exit vs Roma too no ??? While Ronaldo demolished PSG and Juventus ...

SerendipityNow

Supports
Barcelona
Might have something to do with his shameful CL exit vs Roma too no ??? While Ronaldo demolished PSG and Juventus ...
Barca were horrible in 1 CL match and went out. That's the name of the game. The different versions of Barca Messi has played on has been like a huge rollercoaster ride. But individually Messi had a great 2018.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I mean if Ronaldo had Messi's PR he's surely getting that ballon d'or 2018 pretty easily let's be honest here
Ronaldo won a Ballon D'Or without winning a single team trophy. What are you talking about? This kind of nonsense belongs on Twitter in those discussions among 12 year olds, not on a football forum where people are supposed to know what they are talking about.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
So let me get this straight. The guys in here hating on Messi are all Ronaldo fans? I honestly thought they were objective people arguing on behalf of Benzema and others. Silly me.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Argentina no. PSG? Yeah, i think they'd be better with Mane. Not with Son. Although most of that comes down to the need to play all 3 of Neymar, Messi and Mbappé at the same time. Drop Neymar, and they're better off with Messi probably
Messi needed more PSG than the other way around, he was allowed to enter resting mode last season in order to gain form right before the world cup.He picked up his game but it was at the expense of PSG's ambitions. So I don't think they need him at all while he has treated his time there like a preseason for the last world cup.

He was crucial for Argentina although I still hold Mbappe as the better player.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I have doubts he could achieve what Cristiano and Messi have done. I can picture him having a similar career to Ronaldinho, not becuase of a lack of lack of ability and talent but because him not being as professional as Messi and Ronaldo.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Messi needed more PSG than the other way around, he was allowed to enter resting mode last season in order to gain form right before the world cup.He picked up his game but it was at the expense of PSG's ambitions. So I don't think they need him at all while he has treated his time there like a preseason for the last world cup.

He was crucial for Argentina although I still hold Mbappe as the better player.
I find this glorification of Mbappe a bit confusing. I mean, Messi clearly provides more outside of assists and goals than Mbappe. Yet Messi (33 scorers in 28 matches, goal or assist every 75 minutes) keeps up with Mbappe (36 scorers in 29 games, goal or assist every 64 minutes) in terms of raw output despite playing farther away from goal and not taking penalties (which account for 3 goals). Now people like to criticize Messi for his low workrate but if there's one footballer in world football who beats him to that then that's Mbappe.

I feel many people let themselves be swayed by the occasional highly spectacular plays of Mbappe that usually revolve around his insane pace. Think the WC final is actually quite representative of the two with Mbappe having a bit more penalty box scenes while Messi contributes much more outside of it.

Some data on this for the 2022/23 season:

Key passes
Messi 2.65
Mbappe 1.67

Progressive passes
Messi 9.45
Mbappe 4.24

Progressive passing distance
Messi 272.5m
Mbappe 97.5m

Passes into penalty area
Messi 4.11
Mbappe 2.29

Progressive carries
Messi 3.91
Mbappe 6.12

Progressive carries distance
Messi 169.8
Mbappe 161.8

Progessive passes received
Messi 7.08
Mbappe 14.9

Shot creating actions
Messi 6.32
Mbappe 4.24

Successful dribbles
Messi 3.04
Mbappe 2.45

Successful dribbles %
Messi 54.6%
Mbappe 37.7%

I find the notion that Mbappe is the best player at PSG. Messi has Mbappe in his pocket in almost every attacking metric - and that confirms the eye test. My impression is rather that people want a new name at the top of the pyramid. Plus the extreme bias towards pace these days.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I feel many people let themselves be swayed by the occasional highly spectacular plays of Mbappe that usually revolve around his insane pace. Think the WC final is actually quite representative of the two with Mbappe having a bit more penalty box scenes while Messi contributes much more outside of it.
On the world cup final I thought Mbappe was the best player on the pitch but Messi had an overall very good tournament. I don't rate him (Messi) as much as you do and I think is normal as he's an older player past his peak while Mbappe is still on the rise.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I find this glorification of Mbappe a bit confusing. I mean, Messi clearly provides more outside of assists and goals than Mbappe. Yet Messi (33 scorers in 28 matches, goal or assist every 75 minutes) keeps up with Mbappe (36 scorers in 29 games, goal or assist every 64 minutes) in terms of raw output despite playing farther away from goal and not taking penalties (which account for 3 goals). Now people like to criticize Messi for his low workrate but if there's one footballer in world football who beats him to that then that's Mbappe.

Key passes
Messi 2.65
Mbappe 1.67

Progressive passes
Messi 9.45
Mbappe 4.24

Messi 272.5m
Mbappe 97.5m

Passes into penalty area
Messi 4.11
Mbappe 2.29

Progressive carries
Messi 3.91
Mbappe 6.12

Messi 169.8
Mbappe 161.8

Messi 7.08
Mbappe 14.9

Shot creating actions
Messi 6.32
Mbappe 4.24

Successful dribbles
Messi 3.04
Mbappe 2.45

Successful dribbles %
Messi 54.6%
Mbappe 37.7%

I find the notion that Mbappe is the best player at PSG. Messi has Mbappe in his pocket in almost every attacking metric - and that confirms the eye test. My impression is rather that people want a new name at the top of the pyramid. Plus the extreme bias towards pace these days.
Dont know whats wrong with being swayed by talented players with insane pace. R9, Giggs, Ronaldo, Bale etc. I feel Mpabbe is able to help create those chances in the first place by being too fast. But i get what you mean. I just feel there's something always dangerous about Mpabbe while Messi has been weak or average now in the big cl matches now for few years whilst Mpabbe is in his prime and just seems up for it.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football

Key passes
Messi 2.65
Mbappe 1.67

Progressive passes
Messi 9.45
Mbappe 4.24

Messi 272.5m
Mbappe 97.5m

Passes into penalty area
Messi 4.11
Mbappe 2.29

Progressive carries
Messi 3.91
Mbappe 6.12

Messi 169.8
Mbappe 161.8

Messi 7.08
Mbappe 14.9

Shot creating actions
Messi 6.32
Mbappe 4.24

Successful dribbles
Messi 3.04
Mbappe 2.45

Successful dribbles %
Messi 54.6%
Mbappe 37.7%

Messi is better than Mbappe at football even at this age. But mbappe's meep meep ZOOOOOOOOOFFFFFF moments impresses this generation and makes him the bestest of all time.