Lionel Messi transfer rumors

Needham

It will be the one black mark on his CV, the fact that he never left Barcelona and failed somewhere else.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
It will be the one black mark on his CV, the fact that he never left Barcelona and failed somewhere else.
Really, now being a one club man is a black mark on someone's CV? Is that a black mark in Scholes or Giggs' CV? Because I dont think like that

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Really, now being a one club man is a black mark on someone's CV? Is that a black mark in Scholes or Giggs' CV? Because I dont think like that
'It will be the one black mark on his CV, the fact that he never left Barcelona and failed somewhere else.'

:rolleyes:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A lot of people still perceive his international career as failure despite leading Argentina to second place at the World Cup.
He's their all time leading scorer (21 more goals than the likes of Maradonna and Aguero).

Camilo

I don't think he'll ever leave - for the greatest player on the planet I imagine he has a relatively peaceful life in Barcelona, and gets to play with great players in great weather! He's basically spent his whole life there, so I don't see him having an interest in moving back to Argentina.

He may even retire fairly early, in 3 or 4 years time. I can't see why he'd want to run his career down for a few more years in America.. And I can't see him in China chasing more money... Although it's an amazing country, so maybe he'd consider it..

But never to another European club. No chance.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?

This is a pretty interesting video (in fact, the whole channel is good) about transfer fees.

He mentions Messi, saying that he will probably never be sold (especially while he is playing at the top level) because he is worth too much to Barcelona.

No transfer fee (no matter how 'daft') will come close to how much he is worth to Barca in terms of revenue.

Ibi Dreams

He's their all time leading scorer (21 more goals than the likes of Maradonna and Aguero).
Rooney is England's all time top scorer and nobody would say his England career has been much of a success. And the expectations are higher for both Messi and Argentina.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Rooney is England's all time top scorer and nobody would say his England career has been much of a success. And the expectations are higher for both Messi and Argentina.
Yeah but when you view his career in its entirety, he has been very successful. Argentinas success is irrelevant here.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
My BSS mate,

I tend to disagree that Rooney has been a failure for England. I wouldnt by any means put him up with the likes of SBC or SBM by any means, but I would argue that the team failed more so in spite of him.

... but then there is the very questionable/dubious tournament goal scoring record that he has. Thing is, I just have a tough time accepting that a player who holds the scoring record for England and has as many caps as he does can be viewed as anything other than a success.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bloody hell, just the all time top scorer. :lol:

I suppose he didn't do what.... 11 other players in the history of our nation did though, so thus it's not "Much of a success"

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
£30m net a year opening contract offer. :eek:
Surely has got to be bollocks. That figure is insane. No wonder they're stretched financially.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Bloody hell, just the all time top scorer. :lol:

I suppose he didn't do what.... 11 other players in the history of our nation did though, so thus it's not "Much of a success"
Mainly due to playing more against minows than any other England striker.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I can't think of any important England game Rooney played to his ability in bar 2004 (I think). Then again, bar Beckham and Ashley Cole, I can't say that about anyone else in recent times either.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm sure Messi is/will be on something absurd, but 30m net, wouldn't that basically be 60m pre-tax? Which would be a wage of like 1m a week?

cheeky_backheel

This would be the best time for Barcelona to sell him and get maximum returns.

The current squad needs a massive overhaul. Besides neymar and Umtiti, I cant think of any other players that are young and good enough to form the core of their next team.

Given the crazy prices in the current market, and his high wages, selling him to City, Chelsea, PSG or any other team offering crazy money would let them pursue younger talents in all areas.

Messi his past his prime and there is a lot of mileage on that body.

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
He's never leaving Barcelona whilst he's still this good. If he goes on a crazy decline then they he may leave but there's no way Barcelona would ever sell him even for the sums that certain teams would offer as it would basically be a huge show of weakness from them. You just do not sell arguably the greatest player of all time. I think the reality is Messi will be at Barcelona a while longer and will probably go back and play in Argentina for a year or two after that when he and Barca mutually agree to it.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
This would be the best time for Barcelona to sell him and get maximum returns.

The current squad needs a massive overhaul. Besides neymar and Umtiti, I cant think of any other players that are young and good enough to form the core of their next team.

Given the crazy prices in the current market, and his high wages, selling him to City, Chelsea, PSG or any other team offering crazy money would let them pursue younger talents in all areas.

Messi his past his prime and there is a lot of mileage on that body.
Heard this opinion in 2012 and 2014 with his injuries, even last year after the 4-0 win vs Real Madrid with people saying that was proof Messi was not needed.

Is the same with Cristiano Ronaldo, every year since he turned 30 he has to be sold for "maximum profit", yet the two of them keep performing above any other player who would be their replacements. Like Mascherano said, when you have the best player of the world (maybe history) you don't count every penny, you make him the best paid player in the world, doing otherwise would be stupid.

BigTimeCharlie

Heard this opinion in 2012 and 2014 with his injuries, even last year after the 4-0 win vs Real Madrid with people saying that was proof Messi was not needed.

Is the same with Cristiano Ronaldo, every year since he turned 30 he has to be sold for "maximum profit", yet the two of them keep performing above any other player who would be their replacements. Like Mascherano said, when you have the best player of the world (maybe history) you don't count every penny, you make him the best paid player in the world, doing otherwise would be stupid.
You can't reply to a post in this thread without referencing a past united player, united or real madrid can you ?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Moises Llorens is a good source and this is pretty believable.

Obviously they can't let Messi leave, the fans would kill the board members if that happened. That's a lot of money though and Barça aren't in a good financial position right now and they need to rebuild parts of the team. The refusal might have something to do with some clauses and not the money per se though.

cheeky_backheel

and what happens when they stop performing and you still have to pay their bloated wages?

Those players most often than not are reluctant to be relegated to role players and thus make it difficult to rebuild the team. Thus you end up with a period where you are trying to patch a team which is no longer competitive at its core.

The advantage that CR has is that he has been able to modify his game and becoming more of a goal poacher. Messi does not have those physical qualities, and as he ages and loses his burst of speed and acceleration, his effectiveness will decline. Yes he will still provide the occasional blast from the past, but it will not make up enough for the weight his personality and wages would cost the team.

Already Barcelona has been struggling to rebuild the midfield since Xavi declined and the patchwork around Iniesta has crumbled. Suarez is 30 while Messi will be 29 this June and has played more games than most players will ever play their entire career. The more money Barcelona spend on Messi, the more difficult it would be for them to rebuild.

In my opinion, if his rumored wage demands are true, the club should sell him and use the incoming funds and saved wages to build around a lot of the younger talents in the market. Of course, if he is willing to take less and gradually becomes a role player, then that is a different scenario. Problem is these player dont accept their decline quietly.

Madrid had similar issues with Raul who couldnt accept he was no longer good enough to start and resulted in some locker room rifts and problems for the coaches. In hindsight, United could probably have gotten better value if they had sold Rooney a few seasons ago

Hojoon

£30m net a year opening contract offer. :eek:
Surely has got to be bollocks. That figure is insane. No wonder they're stretched financially.
Marca said something different yesterday, saying there was a breakthrough. Maybe the opening offer was rejected but they're still in the same ballpark.

Aza Boy

It is time to release Messi...If Barca meet his demand, i believe Neymar will also ask for increase...no matter how good Messi is, as human being he will decline...imagine, for 2 years extention, if it's true the yearly wage will be 60 millions, it means 120 millions for one player salary only...

Every hero will fade away...one by one, Barca gold generation is in the dawn of the career...currently Iniesta, perhaps next year Busquet, and i believe in the 2 years Suarez and Messi will also decline rapidly...

Despite of fulfilling the greedy request of Messi and his father, Barca should focus of building team around Neymar...his future still far far away...and once Messi-Ronaldo fade away, his stage will come...

Just my 2 cents...And i believe, there will be no other big clubs wants to pay 30 million net of wages for one player...

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
If I was Messi I'd be more interested in who the manager will be and what they will do to compete next season than how ridiculous the wage will be (which is beyond ridiculous already). May not be a wage issue.

cheeky_backheel

If I was Messi I'd be more interested in who the manager will be and what they will do to compete next season than how ridiculous the wage will be (which is beyond ridiculous already). May not be a wage issue.
why? He has won everything worth winning and has numerous club records to his name. Will likely go down has Barcelona's greatest player.

At this point, he should be looking to get the max wages he can from what his left of his career.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Marca said something different yesterday, saying there was a breakthrough. Maybe the opening offer was rejected but they're still in the same ballpark.
The AS article states both parties expect to come to an agreement.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
why? He has won everything worth winning and has numerous club records to his name. Will likely go down has Barcelona's greatest player.

At this point, he should be looking to get the max wages he can from what his left of his career.
Because he will have more money than he can spend regardless of what he does, and winning things may motivate him more. You may be right that it's all about the money, but it might not be.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
and what happens when they stop performing and you still have to pay their bloated wages?
The thing about Messi because of his technique, vision and final ball he's less reliant on physicality than say Rooney is/was so could become a playmaker as he gets older. That and the fact his fitness has always been top notch and he looks after himself

beingshe7don

This thread is so pointless. This is not a thread for the transfer forum. Even if Messi became available, he wouldn't play for United.

Cloud7

Messi does not have those physical qualities, and as he ages and loses his burst of speed and acceleration, his effectiveness will decline
Messi is the most creative passer in world football in my opinion. As we saw with our own Giggsy, the vision and ability to pick out a defense splitting pass doesn't leave you with age. If he has a mobile enough midfield around him to do the leg work, Messi can easily adapt to an attacking midfield role.

el3mel

How is there a thread about his transfer here ??

Messi will never leave Barca. Case closed.