Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Still scored a goal, which is more than can be said for your man in 4 games in the WC knockout stage...

Whilst heading, freekick, timing etc mean nothing... :rolleyes:
That right there sums you up. You'd value Ronaldo tucking away the 4th goal from the penalty spot in the CL more than say, Messi teeing up Di Maria for a late winner against Switzerland at the WC.

You can't be reasoned with, fanboy is a term banded about far too easily on this forum, but you sir really have earned it.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Did you not realise you just quoted yourself here?
Yea, that was intended (ref to Cait Sith's post). I just wanted to share another angle for that goal. I think the post came out really weird. You would think it's tough to quote a comment 10 pages back, without intentionally doing it!

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Still scored a goal, which is more than can be said for your man in 4 games in the WC knockout stage...

Whilst heading, freekick, timing etc mean nothing... :rolleyes:
That right there is the modern day problem with football, people only look to goals and nothing else. Ronaldo scored a penalty in 120 minutes against Atletico Madrid in the biggest game of his career.

In 120 minutes that was his over all contribution to the team, there may as well have been 10 players on the pitch for Real Madrid that night as Di Maria, Modric and Ramos were the ones who stepped up for the team that night.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
That right there sums you up. You'd value Ronaldo tucking away the 4th goal from the penalty spot in the CL more than say, Messi teeing up Di Maria for a late winner against Switzerland at the WC.

You can't be reasoned with, fanboy is a term banded about far too easily on this forum, but you sir really have earned it.
Err, don't want to spoil the party, but you too are one, sir.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
:lol: keep fighting the good fight Cal, you're literally the only one left in that corner.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Does anyone have stats on Messi/Ronaldo free kick goals this season? I remember Messi hitting the post more often than scoring. One against Villarreal(?), Celta Vigo, Getafe. I remember him scoring a free kick against Sevilla.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Funny how the Ballon D'Or was definitely proof when Messi kept winning despite not really deserving to in 2012 yet now he doesn't win it, it means nothing?
No, of course, Sneijder or Iniesta should have won it. Don't make me laugh.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Cal, get out of my thread once and for all. Go to your home (Ronaldo thread)!

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Does anyone have stats on Messi/Ronaldo free kick goals this season? I remember Messi hitting the post more often than scoring. One against Villarreal(?), Celta Vigo, Getafe. I remember him scoring a free kick against Sevilla.
Don't have anything for this season, sorry. Maybe @Skorenzy does.

From the end of the 2010 World Cup until the start of the 2014 one though he scored about 8% of his free kicks while Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 7% of his. I'd guess that both are down on that this season, don't think Cristiano has scored any?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
The penalty stats are ridiculous. Amazing how the supposed more complete player because of his physicality and two-footedness has scored 6 less goals with his weak foot and only one more with his head. He's also better at free kicks apparently... More complete player? Well, yeah, I'd say it's pretty obvious who's more complete!

Edit: The free kick stats (Liga+UCL) are in the picture below

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
That pretty much sums up an 'average' season for him!

BTW, does shot on post/bar considered "on target'? There was a time this season when Messi had 5/6 shots on post without scoring any.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Is Messi not taking penalties? Those stats are silly.
Had 2 penalties whole season, 1 in league another in CDR. Missed penalty against Levante in league, scored in CDR against Elche. This stat doesn't take into account CDR numbers.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He is. He's taken two this season (I think). Missed one against Levante in the league and scored in the cup.

Edit: beaten to it!

JUPITER

Those stats are incredible for Messi on an 'average season'.

If he actually does go up for sale, Woodward should go to any lengths to get him - it's one of those scenarios where I'm firmly in the 'it's not my money camp'! £200m, £300m I couldn't care less if it meant seeing him play for United.

Just imagining him at Chelsea or even worse City is an abhorrent thought.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
The penalty stats are ridiculous. Amazing how the supposed more complete player because of his physicality and two-footedness has scored 6 less goals with his weak foot and only one more with his head. He's also better at free kicks apparently... More complete player? Well, yeah, I'd say it's pretty obvious who's more complete!

Wonder how Cal will explain this one away?

But, but... but... Ronaldo is better looking so there!

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He's definitely not having an average season. Not as good as a few years ago (...yet?) but he's been fantastic, a massive improvement on last season. Different role though so numbers don't really tell it all.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Messi never have an average season, otherwise he won't be able to finish top 2 in Ballon all the time. It's just that he hasn't been able to stay at his absolute peak every other year.. As no other player can anyway (not even Pele or Maradona).

Last edited:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Messi never have an average season, otherwise he won't be able to finish top 2 in Ballon all the time. It's just that he hasn't been able to stay at his absolute peak every other year.. As no other player can anyway (not even Pele or Maradona).
Yeah, it goes to show how unbelievably great he has been since, say, 2008 onwards that what would be an all time great season/year for other players is dubbed an average one for Lionel Messi. Makes you think about how much pressure must be on him every single game to live up to the standards he's set.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
That right there is the modern day problem with football, people only look to goals and nothing else. Ronaldo scored a penalty in 120 minutes against Atletico Madrid in the biggest game of his career.

In 120 minutes that was his over all contribution to the team, there may as well have been 10 players on the pitch for Real Madrid that night as Di Maria, Modric and Ramos were the ones who stepped up for the team that night.
Whilst I do indeed agree with this I think we can all agree Ronaldo was clearly seriously unfit for the final (and the World Cup after that) so obviously he's barely going to do anything.

NoPace

Ronaldo really has improved creatively in the last few years. Miles away from Messi, but I used to believe you'd be best off with 3 Messis up front (if cloning were legal) and now I think I'd go for 2 Messis and Ronaldo on the left of the trident for the aerial threat and pace.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

This is just silly. It says nothing about how many times they've shot with their weaker foot and how good of a chance each of those instances were. Here's one thing. Ronaldo plays on the left. He's right footed. Chances are he's more often in a spot to shoot with his right. Messi however has a free role. He's a bit more on the right side of the pitch but generally he's all over the place. His last hat trick for example, 2 of 3 goals were from the left.

Either way, Ronaldo has 14 assists this season. 12 in LL and 2 in the CL. Messi has 12, 10 in LL and 2 in CL. Wonder what else is wrong when the most basic thing to count after goalscoring is wrong. I somehow doubt that Messi only completes every other dribble.

Zen

The 10 assist stats are going from one source(that whoscored uses). The ones that give you 15(+2 for CWC so 17) for Ronaldo will give you 14 for Messi(2 in CDR). So yeah not really wrong, just using difference sources. Assists aren't the easiest to record, as some will take due to any deflection, some obviously don't...and some count rebounds, and some don't.

Dumbat12

Here's one thing. Ronaldo plays on the left.
That's not true. Ronaldo starts on the left, but most of the time he has a free role to roam whenever he wants. Most heat maps show him in the striker position. So saying he plays on the left is not true.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Comparing the CL final to some game against Switzerland... :lol:
All of which Messi is also pretty good at.

What is timing, btw?
He's quite good at heading? :lol:

Biggest game in his career? Isn't it the 3rd time he's played a CL final?
Cal, get out of my thread once and for all. Go to your home (Ronaldo thread)!
It's all fine and dandy when Messi fanbois invade that thread, yet you lot get all upset if anyone disagrees with your view. :rolleyes:

Let's exclude penalties because it makes your man look bad, next exclude headers as it's called "foot"ball. Using half a season of stats is obviously the fairest way to compare players.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
He is, just Real Madrid get a hell of a lot of them.
Comparing the CL final to some game against Switzerland... :lol:

He's quite good at heading? :lol:

Biggest game in his career? Isn't it the 3rd time he's played a CL final?

It's all fine and dandy when Messi fanbois invade that thread, yet you lot get all upset if anyone disagrees with your view. :rolleyes:

Let's exclude penalties because it makes your man look bad, next exclude headers as it's called "foot"ball. Using half a season of stats is obviously the fairest way to compare players.
Comparing a meaningless penalty to creating a game winning goal.

You keep going on about heading, 2 days ago messi scored a header better than any of the ones your boy has scored this season, for anyone with a short memory he also scored a brilliant header in the CL final against Utd, probably not as impressive as a penalty 120 odd minutes in, in a 4-1 victory though.

No wonder you're a laughing stock dude, you're inconsistent and full of contradictions.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
This passing-map is from their last game. Both scored a few goals in a relatively easy game for both teams; but I wanted to check what they did in the game apart from goals, dribbles etc.,

I am not naming which map belongs to which player. Which map do you like in terms of trying to influence the game?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
This passing-map is from their last game. Both scored a few goals in a relatively easy game for both teams; but I wanted to check what they did in the game apart from goals, dribbles etc.,

I am not naming which map belongs to which player. Which map do you like in terms of trying to influence the game?
left is Messi?

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Messi has to be the right one. He makes longer passes than Ronaldo and is more likely to drop back defending on the right flank.

Also, clearly, he has far more touches during the game.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Ok, 1 question could be which map belongs to which player. More importantly, irrespective of the player which map do you like? And why?

I can easily see one player having more passing %, but never really played a singe pass into the opposition penalty box. Which one would you take?

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Surprised Messi has a lower shot accuracy there. Alwayso thought Cristiano Ronaldo was the more trigger happy and Messi the better finisher.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Comparing a meaningless penalty to creating a game winning goal.

You keep going on about heading, 2 days ago messi scored a header better than any of the ones your boy has scored this season, for anyone with a short memory he also scored a brilliant header in the CL final against Utd, probably not as impressive as a penalty 120 odd minutes in, in a 4-1 victory though.

No wonder you're a laughing stock dude, you're inconsistent and full of contradictions.
Wow, that's 2 headers over his entire career.

Messi's goal against United was the icing on the cake a bit like Ronaldo's against AM.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Ok, 1 question could be which map belongs to which player. More importantly, irrespective of the player which map do you like? And why?

I can easily see one player having more passing %, but never really played a singe pass into the opposition penalty box. Which one would you take?
Messi's is the right one clearly, and irrespective of the players I prefer the right one because I prefer attacking players that are more involved during a game. It's to be expected though, Cristiano's game is different to Messi's and he plays in a different set up so there's going to be differences in their passing.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Wow, that's 2 headers over his entire career.

Messi's goal against United was the icing on the cake a bit like Ronaldo's against AM.

:lol: :lol:

You have to be at the wind up. I'm giving you the benefit and saying that you're winding us up because there's no way you're THAT daft. Now you're comparing a header to make it 2-0 to the FOURTH goal from the penalty spot when a team are already comfortable :lol:

Either at the wind up, or completely delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.