Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
World cup debate still going on :lol:

Highest dribbles and highest key passes which are typical of a #10. Like always, people tend to judge him on much higher standards than other players.
He set the standards to which he's judged now though so surely that's fair game that they're higher than other players?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
World cup debate still going on :lol:

Highest dribbles and highest key passes which are typical of a #10. Like always, people tend to judge him on much higher standards than other players.
Key passes 3.3 but he was average apparently. I guess it makes Ronaldo look decent.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
If you're talking about entire games, neither did Messi.

He picked his moments and granted they were crucial but often he was completely innefective for huge parts of each 90 minutes.

The opening game against Bosnia is a prime example. He did feck all until he scored.
After seeing all the debate in the Ronaldo thread this comment is gold :lol:

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
What a way to answer back to Ronaldo. Roll on 2015's chapter.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Somehow him and the team started playing much much better football after that "fight" with coach. Weird for sure..

Cal?

CR7 fan
Hey Cal? you still owe me an admission buddy!

I recall our conversation during the world cup...you said you'll drop the Ronaldo v Messi debates and admit to Messi being the better player if Argentina either made it to the final or won the world cup!

Let me guess....you don't recall said conversation? ;)
I'm absolutely sure I did not say that, as I've always believed that making the final and losing means very little.

Feel free to prove otherwise.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ronaldinho just stopped bothering. He was fairly young when he declined, so it wasn't that he dropped off physically.
He clearly dropped off physically due to not bothering.
It counts for a lot when you're possibly the most talented guy or one of to ever play football. It will see him being the best or right up there till he wants to be.
Like I already explained, people would have said the same about Ronaldinho 10 years ago, look what happened...

Dumbat12

Like I already explained, people would have said the same about Ronaldinho 10 years ago, look what happened...
Ronaldinho never put the numbers Messi has put. 90 goals or something in a single year is ridiculous and that doesn't count his assists.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ronaldinho never put the numbers Messi has put. 90 goals or something in a single year is ridiculous and that doesn't count his assists.
I'm not saying Ronaldinho was as good as Messi is, but rather the pace he went from "possibly the best player in the world" to playing in the Brazilian league.

Now even if Messi has a higher peak, once the drop off begins, he'd be nowhere near a Ballon D'Or again.

[I'm not saying it has, just highlighting the importance of physique]

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Ray Hudson on Messi : ‘Centipedes go to bed dreaming about a left leg like his. He alters everything. He’s like Higgs Field’.”

:lol: I'm not even surprised, that's genius

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
How were Messi's goals? I seen Ronaldo had a few tap ins today were Messi's easy or did he have to work for them?

Revan

Assumptionman
Well yeah. Like going late at nights, drinking too much alcool, going on training when in hangover etc. It's hard to stay in a great shape if you aren't dedicated.

All of these things aren't problems for Messi who from all reports is a very hard worker. So, while he may decline physically faster than Ronaldo, I can see Messi being one of the best in the world until he would be in his mid thirties. And I would be very surprised if he doesn't win an another Ballon D'Or.

Raul Madrid

Somehow him and the team started playing much much better football after that "fight" with coach. Weird for sure..
Not really. There has been a pick up in teams form plenty of times over the years after some sort of fallout, drama, controversy or even a managers sacking. Think back to Madrid's second half of 12/13, Atletico 11/12, United 10/11, Chelsea 07/08 (and to a lesser extent in 08/09 under Guus Hiddink), Madrid 08/09 (still a shit season from Madrid but there was a big improvement in form in the second half of the season under Juande Ramos in comparison to the first half under Schuster) etc.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
All of these things aren't problems for Messi who from all reports is a very hard worker. So, while he may decline physically faster than Ronaldo, I can see Messi being one of the best in the world until he would be in his mid thirties. And I would be very surprised if he doesn't win an another Ballon D'Or.
Why would he physically decline quicker than Ronaldo?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I think mostly because of his size. He will always have that insane balance, but I don't think he will be quick or have that burst of pace into this 30's.

For mine Ronaldo is the peak athlete with the perfect physique (no homo). He will be strong and quick into his mid 30's in my opinion.

However Messi has all the tools to adjust his game. He is and will still be the best player in the world and will retire the greatest ever player, no doubt.

amolbhatia50k

He's been outstanding this season. It's just that he's a mortal now who doesn't beat defender after defender whenever he feels like it.

Things are finally back to normal at Barca with Messi being their top scorer. For a while I thought Neymar was going to be their "main" man.
It was never going to happen. Even when neymar was their top scorer early everything was going through messi. Although the latter was dropping a bit too deep at one point.

Neymar is looking good though. He injects something into their game and I can see him and alba striking up a great partnership.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think mostly because of his size. He will always have that insane balance, but I don't think he will be quick or have that burst of pace into this 30's.

For mine Ronaldo is the peak athlete with the perfect physique (no homo). He will be strong and quick into his mid 30's in my opinion.

However Messi has all the tools to adjust his game. He is and will still be the best player in the world and will retire the greatest ever player, no doubt.
Weird you say that. Ronaldo's athletic abilities are visibly on the decline already. Having watched him in almost every game this season, I have to say how mind blowing it is that he scores so much, he's no where near as agile and quick as he used to be a few years ago.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Things are finally back to normal at Barca with Messi being their top scorer. For a while I thought Neymar was going to be their "main" man.
Hard to be main scorer when you play in the wing.

Rezyuz

Weird you say that. Ronaldo's athletic abilities are visibly on the decline already. Having watched him in almost every game this season, I have to say how mind blowing it is that he scores so much, he's no where near as agile and quick as he used to be a few years ago.
I always wonder if Ronaldo has actually peaked yet (goal scoring wise, not performance). When he loses his speed, he will eventually become a striker.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
So another 'pure' hattrick (18 out of 22) without penalties. A header, a right foot goal and another from left foot.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Maybe I'm clouded by his physique? He may not be lightning anymore but he is still quick enough to get by defenders. I think he'll become a CF and his strength will show through.

Revan

Assumptionman
Ronaldo looks one of the top athletes I have ever seen in football, something that I don't think applies for Messi.

Saying that, Messi has much more to his game and is a more intelligient player, so when he start declining I think that he can easily adapt his game. Probably less dribbles but more passes. Anyway, can see both of them being as some of the best in the world until they're 35 or so.

amolbhatia50k

Ronaldo looks one of the top athletes I have ever seen in football, something that I don't think applies for Messi.

Saying that, Messi has much more to his game and is a more intelligient player, so when he start declining I think that he can easily adapt his game. Probably less dribbles but more passes. Anyway, can see both of them being as some of the best in the world until they're 35 or so.
Yeah I think they can both be right up there till their mid 30s. But I do think others will catch up to them over the next 3 years and it might not be Messi-Ronaldo and the rest anymore.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah I think they can both be right up there till their mid 30s. But I do think others will catch up to them over the next 3 years and it might not be Messi-Ronaldo and the rest anymore.
I can't see another player catching them up in terms of performance/Stats unless there is a ridiculous drop from either of them. They're way too good and productive compared to the rest.

Cait Sith

Just dropping this here belatedly. A United game was on at the same time before Christmas so probably everyone has missed it.

Great touch. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.