Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
messi "shit" year:

58 goals
22 assists
broke la liga goal scoring record
broke CL goal scoring record
played world cup final

I doubt there is a single person saying he had a ''shit'' year. But it wasn't one of his best.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Don't see how, Messi is currently ahead and has a few years on Ronaldo. He also has more to his game which can help him transition into the 30's - as in his ability to act as a playmaker, which Ronaldo simply doesn't have in his locker.

However Ronaldo is a supreme athlete who obviously keeps himself in peak condition. I can see him being lethal into his mid 30's, and I don't doubt he won't be able to evolve his game further to counter any physical decline he goes through. He's changed his game a whole lot over the years so who's to say he can't do it again. Maybe he'll end up as a CF by the time he retires?

I think Messi will be affected by physical decline more than Ronaldo.

I just hope it's not injuries that keep one of them down.
Messi has 2 years on Ronaldo, but anyway, I can see Ronaldo maintain his fitness for much longer than Messi. I'm not saying Messi will do a Ronaldinho, but Ronaldo is a freak of nature.

Cal?

CR7 fan
messi "shit" year:

58 goals
22 assists

played world cup final

It's not like he did those all in 2014, he did spend a few years before building up to that...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Messi has 2 years on Ronaldo, but anyway, I can see Ronaldo maintain his fitness for much longer than Messi. I'm not saying Messi will do a Ronaldinho, but Ronaldo is a freak of nature.
Ronaldo is a freak of nature physically. Messi is a freak of nature in terms of footballing ability. They will both sustain their levels.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ronaldo is a freak of nature physically. Messi is a freak of nature in terms of footballing ability. They will both sustain their levels.
Many would have said the same about Ronaldinho 10 years ago, whilst I'm not suggesting Messi will drop off like Ronaldinho did, footballing ability counts for little when players physically drop off...

PvsNP

Many would have said the same about Ronaldinho 10 years ago, whilst I'm not suggesting Messi will drop off like Ronaldinho did, footballing ability counts for little when players physically drop off...
As for Ronaldinho, his decline at Barca was more due to lack of discipline rather than his physique letting him down. I remember reading stories about how he would show up hungover at training, go out clubbing before a league game, etc. Such a shame, he was definitely the most entertaining player I've ever seen.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's not like he did those all in 2014, he did spend a few years before building up to that...
Hey Cal? you still owe me an admission buddy!

I recall our conversation during the world cup...you said you'll drop the Ronaldo v Messi debates and admit to Messi being the better player if Argentina either made it to the final or won the world cup!

Let me guess....you don't recall said conversation? ;)

Revan

Assumptionman
Ronaldinho just stopped bothering. He was fairly young when he declined, so it wasn't that he dropped off physically.

Revan

Assumptionman
messi "shit" year:

58 goals
22 assists
played world cup final

His fault. He set ridiculous standards for himself. Now everything other than the best player in the world (by a significant margin) will be considered as a bad year.

He's really ridiculous! Even is he hangs up the boots today, he will be the GOAT for me (unless someone else surprasses him in the future). Would have said that 2-3 years ago too.

Revan

Assumptionman
Played, not won, not dominated, not even showed up.

After the first ten minutes he was completely invisible.

Not something to champion him for.
And almost single-handed send Argentina there. Considering that both Aguero and Di Maria were either shit or injured, while Sabella didn't call Tevez, and Higuain is as wasteful as you can be in big matches, the entire responsibility was put in Messi's shoulders. He arguably could have done better, but anyway he did well. Argentina wouldn't have been near the final if it wasn't for him.

crimsonife

And almost single-handed send Argentina there. Considering that both Aguero and Di Maria were either shit or injured, while Sabella didn't call Tevez, and Higuain is as wasteful as you can be in big matches, the entire responsibility was put in Messi's shoulders. He arguably could have done better, but anyway he did well. Argentina wouldn't have been near the final if it wasn't for him.
Partly true but Messi wasn't the only one crucial to their run. Aguero was shit but Di Maria was very good until he got injured at the end (one reason they lost?). Unless you're just talking about the attack, their defence played a big part - Rojo, Garay, Zabaleta, Demichelis and Macherano were very solid. Mascherano was arguably their best player, so by no means was everything through Messi. He scored a few game winners but didn't show up later on.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Partly true but Messi wasn't the only one crucial to their run. Aguero was shit but Di Maria was very good until he got injured at the end (one reason they lost?). Unless you're just talking about the attack, their defence played a big part - Rojo, Garay, Zabaleta, Demichelis and Macherano were very solid. Mascherano was arguably their best player, so by no means was everything through Messi. He scored a few game winners but didn't show up later on.
Ha, not that shit about Di Maria again.

Why do people keep saying he was good, because he moved to Man Utd? Him and Agüero were the two huge disappointments of the tournament, neither of them had a single good game.

Revan

Assumptionman
Di Maria was awful on the world cup. Probably not his fault because he was playing with an injury, but he realy was bad (although he scored a very important goal).

The defense was okay and Mascherano was great though.

crimsonife

Why do people keep saying he was good, because he moved to Man Utd? Him and Agüero were the two huge disappointments of the tournament, neither of them had a single good game.
Well he was at least decent. Running at people and injecting pace unlike Aguero who was terrible.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

If you're talking about entire games, neither did Messi.

He picked his moments and granted they were crucial but often he was completely innefective for huge parts of each 90 minutes.

The opening game against Bosnia is a prime example. He did feck all until he scored.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Well he was at least decent. Running at people and injecting pace unlike Aguero who was terrible.
He wasn't decent, he was greedy and constantly disrupting Argentina's attacks. Better than Agüero but that doesn't say much, it was like he was a completely different player to the one at Real Madrid the season before.

Messi was fairly average in the World Cup by his own standards. Scored a couple of important winners but was largely invisible in many games. Mascherano and a few of their defenders were much better in the tournament.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
If you're talking about entire games, neither did Messi.

He picked his moments and granted they were crucial but often he was completely innefective for huge parts of each 90 minutes.

The opening game against Bosnia is a prime example. He did feck all until he scored.
Messi wasn't at his best but he was far, far better than Di María. At least he was creating chances for his team mates, Di María was being a greedy fecker which is weird after he was so selfless for Real Madrid.

matherto

Messi wasn't at his best but he was far, far better than Di María. At least he was creating chances for his team mates, Di María was being a greedy fecker which is weird after he was so selfless for Real Madrid.
Oh don't get me wrong, Di Maria was shite.

crimsonife

He wasn't decent, he was greedy and constantly disrupting Argentina's attacks. Better than Agüero but that doesn't say much, it was like he was a completely different player to the one at Real Madrid the season before.
Fair enough, though the point isn't about Di Maria, Messi was still bang average throughout (compared to his standards), I'd give more credit to the defensive side.

PvsNP

Messi was fairly average in the World Cup by his own standards. Scored a couple of important winners but was largely invisible in many games. Mascherano and a few of their defenders were much better in the tournament.
Had it been any other player, people would've said different. The standards he has set for himself are really biting him in the ass.

Had it been any other player, people would've said different. The standards he has set for himself are really biting him in the ass.
Of course, but then no other player is being talked about as the best player in history. And Messi was a long way off that in the World Cup.

Revan

Assumptionman
If I am not mistaken, every goal Argentina scored was scored either from Messi or from an assist by Messi. And Argentina didn't score many goals, so he was fairly integral to them. In my opinion, their best player.

He shoudln't have won the main award though. Muller, Lahm, Kroos or Neuer should have won it IMO. But the problem there was that there were 4 equally deserving winners for Germany so the votes likely got divided between them.

PvsNP

Of course, but then no other player is being talked about as the best player in history. And Messi was a long way off that in the World Cup.
While he didn't meet his own standards, he was more or less Argentina's offence. He created the most chances, completed most dribbles and had a part in pretty much every goal they scored. I don't think any other player could play as well as him with Sabella's sterile tactics.

amolbhatia50k

It counts for a lot when you're possibly the most talented guy or one of to ever play football. It will see him being the best or right up there till he wants to be.

amolbhatia50k

Hey Cal? you still owe me an admission buddy!

I recall our conversation during the world cup...you said you'll drop the Ronaldo v Messi debates and admit to Messi being the better player if Argentina either made it to the final or won the world cup!

Let me guess....you don't recall said conversation? ;)
:lol: brilliant. That's not happening I'm guessing.

amolbhatia50k

He was still very good by everyone else's. Given he was one of the tournaments better players and his main rival was dogshite, it deserves to be brought up for sure when talking about what he did in 2014.

matherto

you are right, playing a world cup final is something you shouldnt bring up when talking about a players year
It is if you actually played well.

If you didn't you might as well be talking about Jonathan Greening in a Champions League final. At least he won.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Played, not won, not dominated, not even showed up.

After the first ten minutes he was completely invisible.

Not something to champion him for.
As a German I was absolutely terrified whenever he got the ball. The the most dangerous player on the night for Argentina next to Lavezzi.
Our defenders couldn't take the ball off him.

matherto

As a German I was absolutely terrified whenever he got the ball. The the most dangerous player on the night for Argentina next to Lavezzi.
Our defenders couldn't take the ball off him.
For the first ten minutes he was running rings around Hummels.

For the next 110 he disappeared off the pitch.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
It is if you actually played well.

If you didn't you might as well be talking about Jonathan Greening in a Champions League final. At least he won.
you say he played bad, i dont think he played bad

but the thing is that i said that he played that game, and to play it he had to bring his team there

that's the importance of that statement

HE PLAYED that game, not robben, not benzema, not ronaldo

HE, and the Jonathan Greening example is something a guy like you would bring up

i mean, is a stupid example

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Messi was still the best attacking player of the final. Not to his standards, but still...

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
World cup debate still going on :lol:

Highest dribbles and highest key passes which are typical of a #10. Like always, people tend to judge him on much higher standards than other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.