Lionel Messi

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Come on, we all know what happened for years between CR7 and Messi and the massive ego race to know who has the highest salary. That's the reason why Perez decided to let Cristiano go. Obviously nobody forces the board to give Messi this insane salary but nobody wants to be the manager who lost Messi in Barcelona, so they keep on paying more and more to the point where it becomes ridiculous.

Great exemple mentionning the bulls, what happened after Jordan left because they couldn't renew their team? No playoffs for 6 years straight and 1 single conference final in more than 20 years. Brilliant.
On the other hand, Dwayne Wade left 18M on the table to bring the big three to Miami (and so did Bosh and Lebron) and we all know what happened. That's team players.
You still don't get it. It is all about role and responsibility, and that is exactly Messi's point. Messi is a player and captain of Barcelona. Does he fullfill his responsibility of his role?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
You still don't get it. It is all about role and responsibility, and that is exactly Messi's point. Messi is a player and captain of Barcelona.
It's not what we were talking about but good diversion. We all know the board is to blame for a number of mistakes, it's not a black and white situation.
But if you want to talk about role and responsabilities, we can talk about Messi's role on the pitch as a captain and is total inability to motivate his teamates. Phenomenal player, poor leader. I know what i'm talking about, i'm a PSG fan and we have no captain on the pitch for years.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It's not what we were talking about but good diversion. We all know the board is to blame for a number of mistakes, it's not a black and white situation.
But if you want to talk about role and responsabilities, we can talk about Messi's role on the pitch as a captain and is total inability to motivate his teamates. Phenomenal player, poor leader. I know what i'm talking about, i'm a PSG fan and we have no captain on the pitch for years.
my point since my first post. Role and responsibility.
"Messi has a point. The directors should do their jobs and take responsibility of their actions. Barca's transfer has been a mess since Neymar's transfer to PSG, their coach quality since Pep resignation is questionable, and they failed to find a replacement for Suarez this winter. It weakens the chance for Messi to win the league and also another UCL."

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Barcelona spent a combined 215 million euros in transfer fees and around 60 million euros a year in wages for griezmann and de jong

How are they hindered by Messi's wages?

Johnny Love

Come on, we all know what happened for years between CR7 and Messi and the massive ego race to know who has the highest salary. That's the reason why Perez decided to let Cristiano go. Obviously nobody forces the board to give Messi this insane salary but nobody wants to be the manager who lost Messi in Barcelona, so they keep on paying more and more to the point where it becomes ridiculous.

Great exemple mentionning the bulls, what happened after Jordan left because they couldn't renew their team? No playoffs for 6 years straight and 1 single conference final in more than 20 years. Brilliant.
On the other hand, Dwayne Wade left 18M on the table to bring the big three to Miami (and so did Bosh and Lebron) and we all know what happened. That's team players.
This makes no sense. The NBA has a salary cap so leaving money on the table directly impacts the team's spending capabilities. Does Barcelona look like they have trouble spending money or bringing in players? They've spent well over €450 million the last few seasons bringing Dembele, Coutinho, Griezmann, De Jong. Their issue is bringing in the wrong players, not Messi's salary.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

If we go by this logic it is CR7's fault that Real Madrid did not win the league and UCL last year because his wages hinder the rebuild of the club.

Baneofthegame

Mentioning the Bulls isn’t the same as Miami, the Bulls whole team had come to the end of its cycle, Jordan retired negated his salary against the cap.

The Miami team also crumbled after Lebron left 5 years ago, it’s only this year they have come back to resemble a decent team.

Also in football terms salary is different, Messi earns every penny of his astronomical wage and I’d pay it to have him here for 3 years.

He’d make it back in merchandising and sponsorships alone.

Ramble over.

Mr Smith

Do you have any evidence for this at all?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's the best player ever for me, but you'd be god damn insane to pay him that now as a new club. Let's be honest Messi is going nowhere.
You wouldn't be paying that (and more) for the player on the pitch (alone) but also the capturing of an icon. Any club Messi went to would be instantaneously elevated to another level and would go down in history as achieving the impossible.

Capturing Messi would be historic, meteoric and all other kinds of 'ic' you can mention.

Only an oil club could entertain the notion, not that he's going anywhere, mind.

Stadjer

If Ed signs him he should get a statue in front of Old Trafford.

Also this is basically a done deal already, Messi cant wait to play with Lingard. If Messi wants to prove to be the GOAT he can do that by making Lingard score 20 goals in one season.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture

Some Barca fans on Reddit reckon there's truth in this ... citing that Ter Stegen publicly criticised Valverde, whilst Messi was a staunch supporter of him.

DVG7

Would be great to see him play with any team other than Barca.

Son

Would be great to see him play for another team at some point but Abidal will get the sack and things will carry on as usual.

He can keep adding to his goal record at Barcelona and quite honestly apart from oil money no other club can afford his wages. He earns a kings random there rightly so.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The only other club I could really see him at (unless he becomes a spent force who can't leave the game behind) is Juventus, who showed the ambition to get Ronaldo. Maybe he could go to PSG, just maybe, as he has been public in wanting to play with Neymar again.

Bayern won't pay that money. He won't go to Madrid. Hard to see him rocking up in the North West of England for various reasons at each club.

As good as Messi is, he's a massive part of why Barca haven't quite been as good as they were for a few years. His financial demands are ridiculous and that comes at the expense of investment in the rest of the team.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
As good as Messi is, he's a massive part of why Barca haven't quite been as good as they were for a few years. His financial demands are ridiculous and that comes at the expense of investment in the rest of the team.
:lol:

Okay this needs to stop.

The only reason for Barca's downfall are idiots who spend money on random players they think are stars and not actually the players they need. I would actually argue that their board is worse than United's, at least our people acknowledge positions that we lack but buy the wrong players, but Barca just buy bunch of random players who they saw scoring good goals and try to fit them in later. I mean, they wanted to bring Neymar again for some reason after buying the likes Griezmann, Coutinho and Dembele, while having absolutely average set of players all over the team that isn't attack.

Move Messi out of that team and that is not even a top4 team.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The only other club I could really see him at (unless he becomes a spent force who can't leave the game behind) is Juventus, who showed the ambition to get Ronaldo. Maybe he could go to PSG, just maybe, as he has been public in wanting to play with Neymar again.

Bayern won't pay that money. He won't go to Madrid. Hard to see him rocking up in the North West of England for various reasons at each club.

Bolded is nonsense.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

And Messi isn’t a team player? He sacrificed on the pitch for other players, allowed Suarez to move to the middle a few years ago so he could flourish. Gives away penalties to teammates all the time if they are struggling.

The Heat one is a poor analogy because the NBA has a salary cap. Messi’s salary has absolutely ZILCH to do with preventing them from rebuilding. They’ve thrown MULTIPLE 100M euro contracts and purchases. Messi isn’t holding Barca back from anything financially.

Madrid’s first season without Ronaldo was a disaster. And the jury is still out on how this season will pan out.

Barca needing years to recover from losing Messi won’t be because of his salary, it will be because of a board that is clueless

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Bolded is nonsense.
Look at his salary from the leaked documents. Messi is the best player in the world, but he's paid an amount that will take up a massive proportion of any club's budget. It feels somewhat churlish to lament your club for no longer being the best team in the world, when they are paying you an amount that places real restrictions on what they can do with the rest of the squad, even for a super club.

If Sanchez is a financial burden at United, then what's Messi at Barcelona? He is an amazing player, very likely the GOAT, but the amount he is paid is so far beyond astronomical.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Do you have any evidence for this at all?
It's pretty obvious when you watch his games with Barcelona or Argentina, when his team is down he doesn't have the ability to remotivate them unless he scores 2 goals himself. It's impossible not to see it, it's blatant in any big losses with both teams. Against France during the world cup he was just looking at his shoes like an helpless child, and it was the same against Liverpool. No encouragements, no shouting, no intensity in his words, nothing. For those who watched the documentary made by Piqué's company last year, it's almost embarassing how the locker room is reacting at half time against Liverpool when the score is only 1-0 with Alba in tears and everybody looking desperate. It wouldn't have happened with Ramos (even if I really don't like him), Chiellini, Puyol or leaders like that.

He's just not captain material, few players are, it doesn't mean he's not amazing on the pitch.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
And Messi isn’t a team player? He sacrificed on the pitch for other players, allowed Suarez to move to the middle a few years ago so he could flourish. Gives away penalties to teammates all the time if they are struggling.

The Heat one is a poor analogy because the NBA has a salary cap. Messi’s salary has absolutely ZILCH to do with preventing them from rebuilding. They’ve thrown MULTIPLE 100M euro contracts and purchases. Messi isn’t holding Barca back from anything financially.

Madrid’s first season without Ronaldo was a disaster. And the jury is still out on how this season will pan out.

Barca needing years to recover from losing Messi won’t be because of his salary, it will be because of a board that is clueless
And yet, had Messi's salary been lower, the club might have had the means to buy Neymar back last summer, who knows. Don't try to turn that into a black or white situation, the board making mistakes doesn't mean Messi's wage doesn't prevent Barcelona from buying even more players.

Pocho

It's pretty obvious when you watch his games with Barcelona or Argentina, when his team is down he doesn't have the ability to remotivate them unless he scores 2 goals himself. It's impossible not to see it, it's blatant in any big losses with both teams. Against France during the world cup he was just looking at his shoes like an helpless child, and it was the same against Liverpool. No encouragements, no shouting, no intensity in his words, nothing. For those who watched the documentary made by Piqué's company last year, it's almost embarassing how the locker room is reacting at half time against Liverpool when the score is only 1-0 with Alba in tears and everybody looking desperate. It wouldn't have happened with Ramos (even if I really don't like him), Chiellini, Puyol or leaders like that.

He's just not captain material, few players are, it doesn't mean he's not amazing on the pitch.
two assists in that game against France, shitty by his standards but better than 99% players in the world.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
two assists in that game against France, shitty by his standards but better than 99% players in the world.
You're confusing his abilities as a player and as a captain. That's 2 very different things. Nobody disputed his abilities as a player. He looked like a ghost during the entire second half before his assist to Aguero.

MalcolmTucker

Messi is my favourite player to watch but his contract is ridiculous and Barca's wage bill is mega bloated. Didn't Barca have to sell two players to be able to afford a striker this January (who they didn't even get)?

Of course he's worth it but if I had £400m in the bank I'd probably rather spend my final peak years with the best players possible than just add a few numbers to my already unspendable mountain of money. It's a fan-owned club so it's not as if the money is going to go into some oligarch's pocket.

DVG7

I’ll never understand the need for someone like messi to want more money. He simply doesn’t need it. He could have retired at 25 and been set for life, his kids too. Why the hell do athletes always want more?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
You're confusing his abilities as a player and as a captain. That's 2 very different things. Nobody disputed his abilities as a player. He looked like a ghost during the entire second half before his assist to Aguero.
Of course he's a bloody captain. What are you talking about? There's more to being a captain than simply screaming in someone's face. He simply elevates everyone and inspires them by merely being in the pitch for a start. Who do you think players look to when things go to shit? Who do you think they look to when they're losing? Or need a goal? Or need someone to pull them through a tight game again?

If that isn't being a captain, i don't know what is.