Lionel Messi

Ladron de redcafe

Except a team that has an easy run to the final such as England in 2021 and Portugal in 2016 should have players who are similarly dominant statistically in those tournaments but they don't. I mean, leading in all of them - through passess, key passes, goals, assists etc - is incredible really.
Nobody that played in the euros was good enough to dominate all categories because nobody that played in the euros is good enough to do so, even against the inferior competiton and the fortunate draws.
As you said, it would have been incredible had someone done it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Except a team that has an easy run to the final such as England in 2021 and Portugal in 2016 should have players who are similarly dominant statistically in those tournaments but they don't. I mean, leading in all of them - through passess, key passes, goals, assists etc - is incredible really.
England 2021 or Portugal 2016 isn’t my topic of concern here. I am looking at the 2 different competitions as whole, and let’s just say there are far more better opponents out there in general in one of competition.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Perhaps, but England 2021 or Portugal 2016 isn’t my topic of concern here. I am looking at the 2 different competitions as whole, and let’s just say there are far more better opponents out there in one of competition.
Hardly matters when you don't need to meet/beat them

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Nobody that played in the euros was good enough to dominate all categories because nobody that played in the euros is good enough to do so, even against the inferior competiton and the fortunate draws.
As you said, it would have been incredible had someone done it.
Neymar was by far the 2nd most dominating player in Copa. Mbappe and Sancho has at least similar stats (goals, assist, dribble, key pass, chance created etc) as him in their club seasons over past few years. Both of them have been poor or irrelevant in Euro.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Neymar was by far the 2nd most dominating player in Copa. Mbappe and Sancho has at least similar stats (goals, assist, dribble, key pass, chance created etc) as him in their club seasons over past few years. Both of them have been poor or irrelevant in Euro.
Sancho didn't play and Mbappe has deservedly gotten criticism because his euros performance was a flop

Ladron de redcafe

I know. Neymar might be the 2nd best player on the planet when on form. He's expected to dominate.
Meanwhile, Patrick Schick dominates the Euros.

Ladron de redcafe

England 2021 or Portugal 2016 isn’t my topic of concern here. I am looking at the 2 different competitions as whole, and let’s just say there are far more better opponents out there in general in one of competition.
And that competition definitely wouldn't be the euros. But even in an inferior competiton, nobody could dominate to the extent that Messi just did.

VanKenny

Out of the top "forward tridents" Messi played in, which one do you prefer?

Ronaldinho - Eto'o - Messi
Henry - Eto'o - Messi
Villa - Messi - Pedro
Neymar - Suarez - Messi

I think the MVP is extemely underrated TBH. Villa and Pedro were both the perfect match for Messi's false 9 (his best position IMO, starting slightly from the right). Also can you imagine the MSN with the Xavi and Iniesta prime midfield of 2008-2012? Scary to think of