Lionel Messi

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You know, I just started writing a lengthy post and decided to delete it because the lines of what I'm trying to construe seem to be getting blurred and I don't particularly want to go down the Messi rabbit hole with this for another rodeo in a particular debate that's been 'raging' for years now.

I'm watching goals roll in over and over as I'm typing this. Messi can't be blamed for the defensive shambles we're seeing, but if he's not injured, he gave up in this game a long, long time ago. It's not a characteristic you'd associate with his peers, or even those ranked that bit below him.

I guess this thread will be deluged with mocking posts or some such shortly, but what can you say about what we've seen tonight? As with the numerous victories, these types of capitulations will also be etched into his legacy. They're becoming commonplace enough to be a talking point.
As games he participated in, not as some stain on his legacy.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
The team was terrible.

But boy did he even show up to play? Barca were playing with 10 since the 1st minute.

rooney2009

They are playing 1 man down
This is absolutely ridiculous, you can’t just give up
He is not even sweating or even trying
I love home to bits but this isn’t good on any level
Show some passion
You are the captain for Godsake

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Should be in the office tomorrow with a transfer request if he has any brains. Barca are done. They've been declining, over reliant on him and he's incapable of single handedly winning competitions on his own now. Needs to go to a team where he won't be the only player.
I remember getting quite a bit of flack for suggesting that even Messi and Ronaldo struggle to justify such wages (€600k+ per week). You might get away with it for a season or two, but it hamstrings your squad building long term. I know Barca have wasted money on big signings, but Messi is as accountable for demanding such a ridiculous salary which would burden any club he played for.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Sorry, you can't have it only one way. Messi's head dropped in the 1st half and he came back out with no fire his belly. Just anonymous. Some tout him as the literal best player of all time; he's still head and shoulders the best player in the world now, and yet, he just went down with the ship, just no fight from him at all.

adexkola

Supports
I remember getting quite a bit of flack for suggesting that even Messi and Ronaldo struggle to justify such wages (€600k+ per week). You might get away with it for a season or two, but it hamstrings your squad building long term. I know Barca have wasted money on big signings, but Messi is as accountable for demanding such a ridiculous salary which would burden any club he played for.
Barcelona could have stood firm and said no. Bayern wouldn't have capitulated.

marktan

He's a world class player with the ball but that was a shocking performance off of it. Watching Alaba run into the final third past you and just standing there, loosing the ball and doing nothing to chase back.

It's a sad fact of reality but time waits for no one, if he can't run distances any more then for Barca to be a top team they need younger players who can run and track back. I don't know if it's the coaching or if it is just that he can't run, but top teams cannot play with the front 2 just watching the game. Imagine Mane, Rashford just standing around every time we lose the ball? It doesn't work. A top player is Messi but for the big games they need players that can run.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Messi gave up midway through the first half.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
so that's your GOAT?!
Posts like these are strange. As if over a decade of domination doesn't matter anymore and legacies for him and Ronaldo are now diminshed in their mid 30s because they're not as out of this world as they used to be :lol:

Zen

So much work needs to be done that the most reasonably start is Messi leaving?

They can't financially rebuild with him surely? But they probably wouldn't be able to 'cash' in either, whole package wise - he's gonna cost anyone more than Ronaldo did - viable options are PSG or, crazily and probably, one of the Manchester clubs.

Both flanks need endless work, de Jong's alrite, but even with Pjanic everyone with him in the middle is old. Pique's old, Suarez's is old, Griezmann is hardly a young whipper either.

No manager wants it.

adexkola

Supports
Sorry, you can't have it only one way. Messi's head dropped in the 1st half and he came back out with no fire his belly. Just anonymous. Some tout him as the literal best player of all time; he's still head and shoulders the best player in the world now, and yet, he just went down with the ship, just no fight from him at all.
I don't know if he's the best player ever. I haven't seen enough football to determine that. He's definitely top 2 of his generation (I have him as best of his generation but I'm not getting into that debate here)

I'm just fighting this nonsense of him needing to show some rah rah boo yah as if that would have changed a damn thing about the result. And I severely doubt that other GOAT candidates could have had a better impact on this match given the same conditions, and even if they had a better fortitude (pun not intended) about their face, it shouldn't matter much in the grand scheme of things

RepardReece

People actually blaming Messi. What a joke :lol: Man he obviously didn't do much but how's he supposed to prevent the Barca defence from playing dreadful and conceding 8????

It's a disgrace he didn't even try and gave up but seriously if you were Messi would you even want to play with that absolute shambles?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He still created for Barca but yeah he absolutely wrapped his tits in at the end.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
The team was terrible.

But boy did he even show up to play? Barca were playing with 10 since the 1st minute.
Biggest hater in the world comes to criticize him on a historically shambolic performance from all our midfield and defense, had to happen.

edcunited1878

That's your GOAT and club captain just doing half the work, not fighting, and not leading by example. Understand that it was a frustrating, embarrassing, and lost cause, but gotta show some character. Not a good night for him nor Barca...but you reap what you sow. Deserved.

SportingCP96

Supports
Biggest hater in the world comes to criticize him on a historically shambolic performance from all our midfield and defense, had to happen.
I never come to this thread?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He saw it coming and even said Barcelona had no chance. I know that no professional goes into a game thinking they're going to lose, especially the best player in the world, but if you didn't know any better, I wouldn't blame anybody for feeling like that was exactly the case.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's slowly becoming a villain with his wages and lack of work ethic on the pitch without justification.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's going to be enjoyable watching their demise over the next few seasons as he fades away.
No doubt they'll still be top 2 in their own league though!

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Should have been on the bench, passenger in the big CL games not at the nou camp last 2 years as well. Need more work rate for this kind of match no matter how good you are on the ball.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Not even remotely his fault although he was pretty bad too and the difference in pressing was key to the game. Bayern just have a much better team, they should have avoided humiliation but they would have lost regardless.

I think this game might make him retire for good after the World Cup, will be interesting to see what impact it has on his future.

padr81

Supports
Man City
For sure I mean he's an amazing player (the best of all time) but right now he's not worth $1m per week. To be honest nobody is. He's still probably the best player in the world but the gap is a lot smaller than it was. The one thing I will say is his heart just doesn't look in it right now. I don't know if he has the hunger for a new challenge.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He already showed enough during the first 15 years of his career to be the GOAT imo. Barca are a mess now at management level, and it transmits down to the players. He doesn't have the same fire anymore, doesn't erase him being the best player in the world now or his previous years being the greatest of all time levels.

People say he needs to do this or that to be considered something at 33, but then call Maradona the greatest ever despite lasting nowhere near as long as Messi at the top and not achieving a third of what Messi achieved in their careers

lilcurt

People actually blaming Messi. What a joke :lol: Man he obviously didn't do much but how's he supposed to prevent the Barca defence from playing dreadful and conceding 8???
Maybe it would help if he even thought about tracking back...

He was embarrassing tonight as a captain.

SportingCP96

Supports
That's your GOAT and club captain just doing half the work, not fighting, and not leading by example. Understand that it was a frustrating, embarrassing, and lost cause, but gotta show some character. Not a good night for him nor Barca...but you reap what you sow. Deserved.
Yep.

Can he quit on Barca like he did Argentina or what happens now?

As good as he is he is just soft as hell. No fight, No work rate at all and just played with his head down.

They probably always would have lost but show some fight no?

Zen

Barca were playing with 10? I'm not even sure I'd say that.

There was literally nothing on the flanks for them throughout, yet they looked like they were playing with 2 in the middle too, bafflingly odd. Where are those 2 midfielders hiding? Bare in mind Pique's old and slow, Messi and Suarez ain't coming back.... I watch them when it gets exploited and wonder how the hell they manage to win sometimes, Liverpool did more or the less same, how exactly did they beat them 3-0 in the first leg then? How did they really keep Napoli out.... I'm not sure. Football is baffling sometimes. The same exploit is there every game.

They are seemingly missing 2 players or well, 2 players that have no clue what their actual role is at all. I'm not sure many of them know their role truly at the mo.

Eddy_JukeZ

Should have been on the bench, passenger in the big CL games not at the nou camp last 2 years as well. Need more work rate for this kind of match no matter how good you are on the ball.
He was pretty good at Anfield tbf.

It'll get ignored because his teammates didn't bury key chances he set up.

padr81

Supports
Man City
There are over reactions and there is this... ffs who are they gonna bench him for? He was yet again their only semi-competent attacker despite a poor game.

Red Stone

It's absolutely a stain on his legacy. He's done his usual disappearing act again because his team is getting rinsed and he just can't be bothered with it. Without mentioning names, there are other players at the very top level of the sport that at least have the decency to stand up and try to turn the game around when shit starts hitting the fan. Barca have been knocked out after capitulating completely in the second leg of three for the last four tournaments, and got completely dominated by Juventus in the first leg of the fourth, and then they lose 8-2 today. Messi nowhere to be found in any of those games when his team needed him most. Same story for Argentina.

The fact that he's such an immensely talented footballer, with an ability to both orchestrate and finish attacks that arguably has never been seen before in the history of the sport makes it even worse. He should have the ability to make a difference whenever he wants to, but his mentality when the going gets rough leaves so much to be desired. Every player Laudrup ever played with said he was the best player they'd ever seen, but he just didn't have that fire in him that most truly legendary players have. I fear Messi is going to end up with a similar reputation, while rightfully also being considered most talented player ever to play the game.

SportingCP96

Supports
He started the action for the Suarez goal
Also was the cause of a goal.

The whole game is NOT his fault as Barca were terrible but he showed no gut or fury. Just head down as usual when his teams are losing.