Lionel Messi

IFC 1905

After the third goal he decided to become a provider. Suarez missed a sitter and then Pique scored.

Another day at the office.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
18 games... 20 goals... 12 assists... and they say he is the 5th best player in the World... perhaps perhaps... time to finish this individual awards, they are becoming a bad joke and a vanity fair. When its like this you just have to say congratulations and nothing more. Going to take a few weeks off, no more discussions about players for me here.

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
18 games... 20 goals... 12 assists... and they say he is the 5th best player in the World... perhaps perhaps... time to finish this individual awards, they are becoming a bad joke and a vanity fair. When its like this you just have to say congratulations and nothing more. Going to take a few weeeks off, no more discussions about players for me here.
He is making a mockery of it and I'm loving it. I get voter fatigue, I get that it's boring to give it to the same two guys for the last ten years, but Modric winning and Messi being 5th is probably the biggest fraud in the award's history.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He is making a mockery of it and I'm loving it. I get voter fatigue, I get that it's boring to give it to the same two guys for the last ten years, but Modric winning and Messi being 5th is probably the biggest fraud in the award's history.
I am not against Modric. Being portuguese and from Sporting huge respect for Cristiano but this? I have 2 eyes and a brain and when he does this no one can come close. Simple as that.

Deleted member 101472

He’s just very clearly and very visibly better at football than anyone I’ve ever seen.

Eddy_JukeZ

Those awards should be disbanded.

Messi being 5th was a farce.

Clearly the best player in the world.

SteveW

There's been a bit if a push to not give it to him over the last few seasons imo. Ronaldo's won a couple based on playing well for 2-3 months as part of a really successful team. At no stage has someone actually been better than Messi imo.

kidbob

He is the one thing that still brings me joy in football. I can't even imagine what he means to fans of Barcelona. The guy is beyond anything I have witnessed in this sport. He is in the same boat as hurlers, gaelic footballers and rugby players I have seen in my mind but he has achieved it without me having a vested interest in the team he plays for. Irish people are only likely to get this but watching the game today he has the efficiency of a Shefflin and the wondrous artistry of a BOD. Basically he must be the best of all time because I'm pretty sure my brain would fry if there was better.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
I’m not an advocate for individual awards in team sports but if you have to give them out, it’s a disgrace that he only has 5 Balon D’ors as he’s been easily the best player on the planet since 2009.

He used to have Xavi and Iniesta, lost them so decided he would just become Xavi Iniesta and himself as one player because he can. How can anyone who watches him week in week out think he’s declining? If anything he’s getting better as he’s adding more and more strings to an already ridiculous bow.

He’s making a total mockery of competitive football. I feel so so sorry for you if you’ve never seen him play live - make sure you do before he’s gone!

Skills

Snitch
He's a genius. He's the only footballer for who that term is appropriate.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
18 games... 20 goals... 12 assists... and they say he is the 5th best player in the World... perhaps perhaps... time to finish this individual awards, they are becoming a bad joke and a vanity fair. When its like this you just have to say congratulations and nothing more. Going to take a few weeks off, no more discussions about players for me here.
Everyone know Messi is one of greatest of all time....however for everyone making this point the award was for year 2018 not 2005-18.

Messi simply didn't factor in the business end of the big tournaments, wasn't a factor when Roma won 3-0 in the quarter final and couldn't do anything with a dysfunctional Argentina.

Mbappe and Griezmann were influential in a world cup win and Ronaldo was in a champions league winning team. Modric also in that and helped his country to massively overachieve at the WC.

It's nothing malicious, just that Messi's year simply wasn't as special as those guys.

If in 2019 he inspires Barca to win another CL and even more importantly finally gets international title in the Copa America he's obviously going to win 2019 Balon D'or.

Kag

He’s just very clearly and very visibly better at football than anyone I’ve ever seen.
The eye test is the best test. Always laugh when some wank video of Pele running past bean cans is used to demonstrate how he may have been the best.

We have the luxury of being able to watch just about every player that has ever played the game through a video sharing platform called YouTube. Objectively, and you can sit and watch videos all year, Messi is the best. He just is. It’s the eye test.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The eye test is the best test. Always laugh when some wank video of Pele running past bean cans is used to demonstrate how he may have been the best.

We have the luxury of being able to watch just about every player that has ever played the game through a video sharing platform called YouTube. Objectively, and you can sit and watch videos all year, Messi is the best. He just is. It’s the eye test.
What if your/my eye is shit?

This is a conversation independent of Messi, and my eyes (which tell me he is head and shoulders above any player of this era), but without objective metrics, these convos devolve to "opinions are like assholes, everyone got one"

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Should wait with his good performances until the start of 2019 or they will not count again for the Ballon D'Or & Co. Atthe moment he is really the best player on the world.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I appreciate he is the by far the best player when you watch him in La Liga. Sadly he can‘t seem to show these performances in CL knockout stages or at the world cup as much.

I‘m not saying he‘s showing nothing, but clearly there‘s a drop off, even if you don‘t want to talk about Argentina because it has weaker players etc (I don‘t think that should matter but whatever). He has the same players around him in CL, but the CL knockout stages in the last 3 years have been very disappointing.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I saw this in the BBC comments section, so take it with a huge pinch of salt as it sounds like an absolute impossible stat, but if it's anywhere near true...

"Interesting stat Messi has either scored or assisted in 47% of all goals scored in La Liga for barcelona for the last decade!!
He makes the difficult look easy,Genius!!"
I'd love to know if it's true or not, & if not, what the true figures are.

Also, as a bonus: https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/a6t9oh/messi_now_has_the_most_goals_the_most_assists_the/

Culero

Europe's top five leagues in 2018-19:

Most goals - Messi
Most assists - Messi
Most dribbles - Messi
Most chances created - Messi
Most free-kicks scored - Messi
Most key passes per 90 mins - Messi
Most goals from outside the box - Messi

He missed three weeks through injury.

Source: @FootballFactly

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I haven't even watched La Liga this season. It sounds like I'm missing out on a true masterclass performances by Messi.

Deleted member 101472

I haven't even watched La Liga this season. It sounds like I'm missing out on a true masterclass performances by Messi.
Highly recommend a YouTube binge of some of his individual highlights from this season

AndyJ1985

Honestly can't get my head around how it's even up for debate whether this guy is the greatest ever. His ability is out of the world.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Highly recommend a YouTube binge of some of his individual highlights from this season
It’s going to be quite a long binge :drool:

The sheer number of chances he creates, or just moments of excitement by beating a player or 2, is just unrivaled.

That’s without taking his goals and actual assists into account.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Watching Messi is like rewatching The Wire for me. It's just such a high standard that everything else you see afterwards just seems second rate. By some distance the most magical & constantly awe inspiring player I've ever seen.

El Zoido

Europe's top five leagues in 2018-19:

Most goals - Messi
Most assists - Messi
Most dribbles - Messi
Most chances created - Messi
Most free-kicks scored - Messi
Most key passes per 90 mins - Messi
Most goals from outside the box - Messi

He missed three weeks through injury.

Source: @FootballFactly
Not bad for the worlds 5th best player.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Watching Messi is like rewatching The Wire for me. It's just such a high standard that everything else you see afterwards just seems second rate. By some distance the most magical & constantly awe inspiring player I've ever seen.
Wait till you see Mad Men

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
There's been a bit if a push to not give it to him over the last few seasons imo. Ronaldo's won a couple based on playing well for 2-3 months as part of a really successful team. At no stage has someone actually been better than Messi imo.
I second this.

izec

Good that i havent watched The Wire yet, so i can watch everything for the first time and see what the fuss is about.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Good that i havent watched The Wire yet, so i can watch everything for the first time and see what the fuss is about.
I'm jealous.

Anyway, on-topic: I hope we see Messi put in some masterclasses in the CL knockout matches.