Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I just don't understand the criticism, if anything he's taking a far bigger risk leaving Barcelona than by staying. People accusing him of leaving when the going gets tough, it's not as if Barcelona's just started struggling recently, it's been a steady decline for at least 4-5 years now and he's been the main reason it hasn't completely imploded until this season. Who would want to waste their last few years at the top for a club as badly managed as Barcelona? It's a shamble of an organization, and I don't think a new president will change that over-night. He doesn't owe Barcelona, or any football fan for that matter, anything. He's, for me, the greatest player I've ever seen and I'm surprised and excited that he's potentially willing to take a big risk moving to a different league at this stage of his career. If it's City, even better, so it can shut these arrogant PL fans who think the league is some kind of challenge for players like that.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Surely he should have come out with a statement by now? Barca fans deserve a clear explanation at the very least
From his pov there's nothing to explain, at least not yet. His contract gives him the option to terminate it. He has taken that option.
Even legally, I don't think he should be making any comments until things are cleared up.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Both Barca and Messi deserve each other. Hope it is a long painful saga and afterwards he just stays at Barca.
Also hope that whatever happens some annoying Barca fans here (aka Pep fanboys as long as he is at City) just stop talking nonsense here and post on Bluemoon or wherever instead.
They can create a United thread there just for the Barca fans or join the City posters on any other thread and as long as they write nonsense about United and keep praising City all will be good.

cyberman

Then why would he join them? To win domestic titles? He's got more than enough of them. Apparently he told Guardiola he wants anotger two Balon D'Ors and it's quite obvious which kind of titles are required for that.
Because Barca are a mess and he wants out. He cant say hes going to City because only they, and PSG, can afford him.
Theres a difference between wanting out of this shit fire and wanting a move to win the CL because there is nothing in City that has shown that they can. He has to say he wants CL success or it loojs as if hes leaving a sinking ship that hes bailing on, abandoning the fans.
We cant suddenly lie and pretend City are a European powerhouse just because it ties into Messis narrative.

Hulksmash

Apparently according to Tancredi Palmetto:

Manchester City would be ready to pay 500m€ after taxes to Messi in 5 years!

Messi would earn 50m€ per year +a staggering 250m€ bonus after 3 years moving to New York City in last 2 years. No FFP issues since he will be earning most of the money in New York

trims

Supports
Arsenal
PSG, Madrid, Liverpool, Bayern. Hell Barca last year got as far in the CL as City have in their entire existence.

He can lower his wage demands and join a genuine CL contender but, lets be honest, theres a reason why City and PSG are his only suitors.
In no way are City a CL contending side. Dont let the propaganda machine get to you.
They are as much CL contenders as we are league challengers.
Madrid were brushed aside by City and joining them is out of the question obviously. I see Liverpool being in a similar position to City in terms of winning the CL at the moment. They've shown vulnerabilities in the past 6 months. City have the advantage of being able to strengthen any positions needed without worrying about money and there's the Guardiola connection.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I just don't understand the criticism, if anything he's taking a far bigger risk leaving Barcelona than by staying. People accusing him of leaving when the going gets tough, it's not as if Barcelona's just started struggling recently, it's been a steady decline for at least 4-5 years now and he's been the main reason it hasn't completely imploded until this season. Who would want to waste their last few years at the top for a club as badly managed as Barcelona? It's a shamble of an organization, and I don't think a new president will change that over-night. He doesn't owe Barcelona, or any football fan for that matter, anything. He's, for me, the greatest player I've ever seen and I'm surprised and excited that he's potentially willing to take a big risk moving to a different league at this stage of his career. If it's City, even better, so it can shut these arrogant PL fans who think the league is some kind of challenge for players like that.
Are you a Utd fan?? Because, if yes, then it is a weird sentiment to have.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm

I don’t know if this video has been shared anywhere already but I’m in hysterics:lol: Incredible stuff.
Looks like Messis biggest hope for a statue will be outside of Etihad :lol:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Are you seriously suggesting on a United forum where i should post? I have no problems Messi leaving or staying. As far as being a United, it doesn't really matter to me. You compared Messi as someone who takes 1m a week (deserved salary) as some sort of charity footballer who should be freed while Ronaldo asking for salary is mercenary. I called you out for your awful take. So spare me your bs. You are on ignore list now.

Facts are straight, Messi left Argentina team when they were in mess. Retired twice before he got his way. Barcelona got hammered in Champions league and when (reportedly) he was told, he no longer has the same power that he enjoyed, he decided to leave your football club. You can be delusional about it, it doesn't really change anything. As far as knowing what is happening inside, its fair to say, even you are not privy to that information. So please dont act like one.

As far as Messi is concerned, he can go to whichever club he wants to go. That was never the point. You mentioned Ronaldo's ambition as "mercenary" while Messi is going to Man City of all clubs. If you cant see your bias then i cant help you. Infact there was no reason to bring up Ronaldo. Thats why i think you are trolling.
Ronaldo went to the biggest club in England, the biggest club in Spain, and then the biggest club in Italy. Absolute mercenary no matter what mental gymnastics you opt for.

As for Messi, why hold a player against his will? Let him leave, let the team rebuild.

Messi only “retired” once not twice, and didn’t miss any games for it, poor judgement from him. But without him Argentina don’t qualify for a World Cup anyway.

cyberman

Madrid were brushed aside by City and joining them is out of the question obviously. I see Liverpool being in a similar position to City in terms of winning the CL at the moment. They've shown vulnerabilities in the past 6 months. City have the advantage of being able to strengthen any positions needed without worrying about money and there's the Guardiola connection.
But City havent strengthened weak positions. Hell they have been trying to do that for years now.
City in CL have been judged on what ifs for too long now. We have seen and know what they are. Its not just the squad that needs adjustment but management as well.
Also tad unfair on Liverpool. 2 CL finals in a row and actually winning it last year.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
You’re so full of rubbish. No idea what you are talking about except out your arse. Messi sees the board has no clue what it is doing. Literally the worst board for a major club of the last 20 years. He has a good 2-3 seasons tops. I understand that you like this holier than thou bs to help you sleep at night but you have absolutely no idea what is going on in this situation.

And yes, Ronaldo is a mercenary no question. And that’s okay. He wanted to be the highest paid football player in the world and now made the awful awful decision of signing with a Juventus team that is nowhere close to winning UCL. A club that got demoted to second division for corruption and rigging matches. Messi is the goat, but Barca need to move on so we can rebuild. All this drama is hurting our chances of working on other transfers we desperately need.
Despite whatever shenanigans Juve may be up to, you are off your rockers if you are going to argue that City are somehow more of. a prestigious club to join. As far as CL is concerned, Juve did reach a final some time ago something City has not managed despite Pep spending big.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Despite whatever shenanigans Juve may be up to, you are off your rockers if you are going to argue that City are somehow more of. a prestigious club to join. As far as CL is concerned, Juve did reach a final some time ago something City has not managed despite Pep spending big.
When did I ever say city were more prestigious than Juventus? Juventus have had their share of stains as well. Obviously they’re a big club

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Ronaldo went to the biggest club in England, the biggest club in Spain, and then the biggest club in Italy. Absolute mercenary no matter what mental gymnastics you opt for.

As for Messi, why hold a player against his will? Let him leave, let the team rebuild.

Messi only “retired” once not twice, and didn’t miss any games for it, poor judgement from him. But without him Argentina don’t qualify for a World Cup anyway.
How does that make him a mercenary? He stayed at united for years, real for years and now he will probably be at Juve for a while.

Moved club 3 times in a 15 year+ career and a mercenary? I hope you never changed jobs before, be terrible if you were a mercenary!

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
To be fair to him, I see where he's coming from. I agree with you on how Messi is the goat and he's leaving due to issues with the board.
However, this is starting to look like a pattern, isn't it? Retires each time Argentina lose a major final and here again, he's pretty much taking the easy way out after Barca's worst moment in years. You probably know that there have been issues with board for years now but he seems to be leaving at a time where Barca are actually trying to clean house and rebuild. Suarez has been mediocre this season and there were barca fans calling for him to be replaced for months now. Koeman comes in and does exactly that and Messi immediately sees that he is going to have less of an influence on club decisions now and decides to call it in. Seems a bit like a low blow to just leave when Barca need him the most.
Even as a Man United fan, I have mixed feelings about Ronaldo now and believe that he used us a few times for better contracts but he honestly doesn't look the kind of guy to leave when things get tough. I'd cite his initial years at madrid where they didn't win much and repeatedly got hammered by barca as an example. Same with the current season where a lot of the juve squad let them down in the UCL. The fact that Messi just wants to walk away the minute his teams lose instead of sticking around for a challenge seems a lot like him throwing a fit when he doesn't get his way.
Ronaldo bounced because of one thing = money.

And that’s totally fine, he’s earned it, but in regards to Messi he stuck with this team his entire career. When they lost 7-0 aggregate to Bayern, and CL humiliation after humiliation. People need to understand this Current board has zero plan. It’s run by clowns. The fact that puyol of all people, one of the biggest Barca legends ever is applauding Messi for trying to leave, and that Xavi didn’t want to come near the club right now shows how toxic the board is. This isn’t Messi leaving because things are tough. This a guy who was always on an island carrying this team time and time again. He’s 33, it’s time to play in a team with an actual proper manager and squad. I just want him to leave now and wish him well so we can focus on rebuilding the squad. This drama isn’t helping anyone

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Are you a Utd fan?? Because, if yes, then it is a weird sentiment to have.
I like United a lot, more so than City, but I wouldn't call myself a fan of the club as I'm not bothered one way or another if Messi goes to City or elsewhere, but I can understand why it'd be a problem for some here and how it would be a weird sentiment.

King7Eric

I like United a lot, more so than City, but I wouldn't call myself a fan of the club as I'm not bothered one way or another if Messi goes to City or elsewhere, but I can understand why it'd be a problem for some here and how it would be a weird sentiment.
Ah okay. If you don't support Utd, then I can understand where you're coming from. As a Utd fan though, I hope he doesn't come anywhere near England if he's leaving Barca.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football

And that’s totally fine, he’s earned it, but in regards to Messi he stuck with this team his entire career. When they lost 7-0 aggregate to Bayern, and CL humiliation after humiliation. People need to understand this Current board has zero plan. It’s run by clowns. The fact that puyol of all people, one of the biggest Barca legends ever is applauding Messi for trying to leave, and that Xavi didn’t want to come near the club right now shows how toxic the board is. This isn’t Messi leaving because things are tough. This a guy who was always on an island carrying this team time and time again. He’s 33, it’s time to play in a team with an actual proper manager and squad. I just want him to leave now and wish him well so we can focus on rebuilding the squad. This drama isn’t helping anyone
Ronaldo moving from United to Real was more of his obsession to play for Real than the money. The Juve transfer again seemed like a move to look for something new after winning 4 UCL's there. Even Real didn't really seem to stand in his way since he was going out on a high and they were going to start the rebuild. They still have quality senior players around with Ramos, Modric, Kroos around to smoothen the transition.You can see how they've signed a bunch of younger players now to build for the future too. Contrast that to Barca now, they need a rebuild and are desperately looking for senior players with quality to stick around while they try to replace the ones who are past it and the one who is supposed to be their leader decides to move on? That's the very definition of a mercenary. "I'm going to be around when things are going well but will walk the minute I don't get my way"
Your point about how he stuck with the club in the past is correct but I would say that the situation was very different back then. The managers who were around pretty much ensured messi got his way. A couple of them (martino comes to mind) seemed like messi picks. Yes, the board has been a mess in the past but there really didn't seem to be any direct conflict with messi in what they did. They continued signing players for huge sums and giving messi bigger contracts. Like I said, nothing that the board did seemed to go against what messi wanted for the club. A 7-0 over 2 legs isn't as bad as an 8-2 demolition. Bartomeu is running the club to the ground but Koeman seemed a decent choice to take the club forward specially with this new fad of former players starting to fix clubs. Obviously tough decisions would have to be made and the first one was culling Suarez. Days later, messi wants to leave? Doesn't this seem an awful lot like someone throwing his toys out of the pram?
I understand how he's fed up but you'd think that he would show some loyalty to the club that stood by him during the tax fraud years, has let him have a huge say in how the club is run and has developed him into one of the greatest of all times when they need him the most. That's why there's an argument that he's not far off from being a mercenary.

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Ah okay. If you don't support Utd, then I can understand where you're coming from. As a Utd fan though, I hope he doesn't come anywhere near England if he's leaving Barca.
Anywhere in England though, or just City/Liverpool? What if he came to United? Wouldn't it be a huge advantage for the PL to have a player like that playing in England?

King7Eric

Anywhere in England though, or just City/Liverpool? What if he came to United? Wouldn't it be a huge advantage for the PL to have a player like that playing in England?
Anywhere in England. I don't think it's at all realistic that Utd will sign him. Realistically City are the only ones who could sign him and that would only widen the gap already existing between us and them. Even if he goes to any other club it'd make them favourites for the title for at least the next couple of years, further lowering Utd's chances.

I really don't care about the PL as a whole, just Man Utd, so I really don't want him anywhere near this country.

Last edited:

yan man utd

Don’t understand people who say they don’t support any club. It’s way more fun when you do!

anyway as you please. Personally i think Messi would wish he had joined United if he joines city. United is the biggest club in the world and he would also have the challenge of bringing us back to the very top - which he could do

at city he would just be the replacement for silva and not anything new as he would be back under Guardiola who seems tired mentally

Either way it looks difficult for him to leave and I can see him staying at Barca

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
What a sour end to his Barca career. La Liga will suffer with no Messi too.

yan man utd

Which is why la liga are doing their best to prevent it from happening

He can’t leave for free!

to be honest I don’t think he will leave

how can anyone pay 500-700 million within fair play rules - city just got out of jail so they can’t do it - surely!

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Regardless of where anyone stands on this, one thing is for sure, this is very entertaining to follow, along with the reactions to it. It would be a pretty anti-climactic end if he does wind up staying at Barcelona, which is probably the likeliest outcome.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

And that’s totally fine, he’s earned it, but in regards to Messi he stuck with this team his entire career.
Yes. Messi stuck with barcelona for his own reasons. 400 millions of reasons, to be exact(and he wants out now after raking in 300 millions of those)
The Juve transfer again seemed like a move to look for something new after winning 4 UCL's there.
Nope. He left because he wanted a new 4 years 30m euros a year after tax contract, a year after signing a new 4 years, 22m after tax contract, and we refused. The big difference was he made that decision earlier than Messi and so was able to negotiate a gentleman's agreement to leave for a fixed price

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Yip that's why La Liga probably released that statement. Didn't La Liga have a similar meltdown when Neymar left?
I vaguely remember that, I believe they attempted to block it.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes. Messi stuck with barcelona for his own reasons. 400 millions of reasons, to be exact(and he wants out now after raking in 300 millions of those)

Nope. He left because he wanted a new 4 years 30m euros a year after tax contract, a year after signing a new 4 years, 22m after tax contract, and we refused. The big difference was he made that decision earlier than Messi and so was able to negotiate a gentleman's agreement to leave for a fixed price
Messi, the captain, bounced after his team got humiliated in one of worst ways imaginable. Some guy.

Yip that's why La Liga probably released that statement. Didn't La Liga have a similar meltdown when Neymar left?
shocking bollocks from them all, last thing I want is to see him at City but the release part of the contract is clearly designed to be at the end of the season.

To try fecking him over here after everything he has given them is typical of the cnutish “more than a club” they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.