Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sb_16

There's always two sides to an argument but still all this to go and play for a plastic club?

romufc

There's always two sides to an argument but still all this to go and play for a plastic club?
Money talks... If he leaves, he will paint it as linking up with pep again.

Is it his dream to go from 101,000 fans to the empthiad?

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He's not leaving on a free but his posture is that the 700 mill clause is no longer valid. Even if it says he can leave for free he wants to compromise the club to negotiate his exit before resorting to leave on free but it seems Barcelona is going to hold on their posture and force him to act legally against them.

So even though I dislike Barcelona I have nothing against Messi as a player and so I think they're being very petty and small time about this. It might be seen as a dick move by him but I don't see the point of making things so hard for him when he no longer wants to play for them. Also it might be beneficial for them in the long term to start rebuilding the club without him (they'll have to do it sooner or later but it is inevitable) but oh well, it's very apparent Bartomeu is just interested in saving his own neck.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Just can’t see it going to court. Both sides will compromise and he’ll leave for a fee.
I believe the fact that the compensation of 700m doesn't apply doesn't mean that he can leave om a free. Read that im case his termination clause applies, the CAS or some other institution is in charge to set the height of the compensation, probably based on age market value, remaining years om the comtract and wages.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Is this the biggest story in Spain at the moment? How much coverage is it getting outside of basic news and sports shows?
Definitely.I don't watch TV much but in general football is always very present.
On the radio they announce each update instantly and on television the chiringuito is being very popular, this week they canceled the holidays and are breaking audience records.
Youtubers, celebrities, politicians ... they all have an opinion

Sb_16

You'd think with all the money he has earned, at the end years of his career a great player and a one club man (professionally) like him he'd go to another prestigious club. Every club in the world will be willing to sign him and offer him the best deal they could possibly give him.

Its a little bit sad if he has his head set on city only.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Definitely.I don't watch TV much but in general football is always very present.
On the radio they announce each update instantly and on television the chiringuito is being very popular, this week they canceled the holidays and are breaking audience records.
Epic. Not often a player of this stature moves clubs let alone when it's shrouded in such subterfuge and ill feeling from both camps.

I wonder if this is about ill feeling towards the club or the chance to earn almost a billion pounds out of City. Hmm..

Dr. StrangeHate

It won't be the emptihad when he goes there. In fact I think even TV viewing figures will become the most for City.

For City it will be like the cake on top of the cherry.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Epic. Not often a player of this stature moves clubs let alone when it's shrouded in such subterfuge and ill feeling from both camps.

I wonder if this is about ill feeling towards the club or the chance to earn almost a billion pounds out of City. Hmm..
On the one hand, maybe he wants to win one last Champions and balon d'or and he won't get it at Barcelona.
He will be blamed for what happens. It is reasonable that he thinks that his cycle is over but I think he has done it wrong and late.
It may be his father's bluff to renew but I can believe that he is really fed up

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Do people in Spain who don’t like Barcelona want to see Messi leave?

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, I think if he were to leave I'd like him for him to join something like Juventus and play with Ronaldo just to see them play for the same team once before they retire. Manchester City has been built to be something like Barcelona 2.0, it might not feel right but it's the best club for him (besides Barcelona) but while fans of rival teams might no be too thrilled about having to play against him it would make the Premier League more interesting no matter what club he goes there.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
On the one hand, maybe he wants to win one last Champions and balon d'or and he won't get it at Barcelona.
He will be blamed for what happens. It is reasonable that he thinks that his cycle is over but I think he has done it wrong and late.
It may be his father's bluff to renew but I can believe that he is really fed up
I think he wants to leave and he wants to win UCL as he knows this current squad isn’t good enough. But I think he wants to avoid a lawsuit and city won’t make a bid until it seems like Barca won’t take it to court. I think Barca are screwing up here. They should have negotiated with City for a 150M fee but they keep pushing for 700M. City don’t want to get caught up in a court case so now Messi may be forced to stay against his will.
His lawyers seems to have advised him not to speak but I agree with you. He needs to say something because it’s getting more and more awkward. I think he genuinely wanted to leave on amicable terms but the club is fighting him too much to let him go.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
People are enjoying the shitshow and at this point it doesn't really matter if he stays or leaves as both outcomes seem to have damaged Barcelona's reputation. They either force their best player ever to stay and play for them unhappy for another season or they lose them, either way they have acted really small time upsetting their whole fanbase. For me it's a lose-lose situation for the club and their board. I'd guess some supporters of Barcelona and Messi would prefer for him to stay though.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You'd think with all the money he has earned, at the end years of his career a great player and a one club man (professionally) like him he'd go to another prestigious club. Every club in the world will be willing to sign him and offer him the best deal they could possibly give him.

only psg and city can afford his wages though and not get crushed by FFP.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
People are enjoying the shitshow and at this point it doesn't really matter if he stays or leaves as both outcomes seem to have damaged Barcelona's reputation. They either force their best player ever to stay and play for them unhappy for another season or they lose them, either way they have acted really small time upsetting their whole fanbase. For me it's a lose-lose situation for the club and their board. I'd guess some supporters of Barcelona and Messi would prefer for him to stay though.
thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love Messi but if he wants to leave, let him go with dignity. I’d hate for him to stay against his will. 2020 really is the most bizarre timeline.

romufc

The money he has earned and he will continue to do so.. I am sure he has colossus deals with Nike / Adidas and many other commercial partners which will go on past his footballing days. It is clear he is money driven.

For what Barca have done for him, I know people say he didnt pay for free, they made him the best paid player, sacrificed alot of talented players positions, most seasons the team was set up for him to shine.

When a player then says he wants to leave for free when the club needs money and players to re-build is quite dis respectful in my eyes. Even if he wanted to leave, get some fee rather than leaving for free so that you can get the cream of the signing on fee.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Isn't he something like 40 odd goals away from breaking a really famous landmark of most goals at one club or something like that? Maybe it's Pele's record I'm not sure. Seem to remember reading something like that fairly recently.
he’s ten goals away from most goals with a club team in history

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I'd say people want him to stay. Reasonable since a lot of people,neutrals, have seen him play from the beginning and everyone is enjoying the show Bartomeu-Messi.
Among Madridistas, the joke is "I hope he goes away, we've suffered him a lot " but many want him to stay.
It would be delaying the inevitable another year

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The money he has earned and he will continue to do so.. I am sure he has colossus deals with Nike / Adidas and many other commercial partners which will go on past his footballing days. It is clear he is money driven.

For what Barca have done for him, I know people say he didnt pay for free, they made him the best paid player, sacrificed alot of talented players positions, most seasons the team was set up for him to shine.

When a player then says he wants to leave for free when the club needs money and players to re-build is quite dis respectful in my eyes. Even if he wanted to leave, get some fee rather than leaving for free so that you can get the cream of the signing on fee.
messi does not want to leave for free at all. Not sure where you are getting that from. The only reason that gets brought up is because Barca want nothing less than 700M which no team can afford on top of his wages. Messi’s camp has stated many many times that they want an amicable split. They want Barca and city to negotiate a fair fee (100-150M) but Barca keep threatening with A lawsuit so city doesn’t want to get involved until the issue is resolved between Messi and city. Messi does not care for the money as much as you say right now. He wants ucl and knows the squad is too mismanaged to get there.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Apparently the club paid third parties (agencies etc.) to ruin his reputation publicly. I think there are reasons why he has that clause in his contract. "The club" is a pretty heterogeneous entity. I'm sure he's attached to it emotionally, hence he stayed for so long but it's the board he's gone to war with. If the apparent City contract tells you anything then that he could've still earned a lot more than he did at Barcelona if that was what he was looking for.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I'd say people want him to stay. Reasonable since a lot of people,neutrals, have seen him play from the beginning and everyone is enjoying the show Bartomeu-Messi.
Among Madridistas, the joke is "I hope he goes away, we've suffered him a lot " but many want him to stay.
It would be delaying the inevitable another year
cheers. I’d like him to stay but not like this. Him leaving on a free would be terrible too a season from now. Puzzling behaviour from the board.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
:lol:
What a puss.. Knew he wouldn't have the balls to try a new league out. Go continue to dominante one of the easiest & lopsided leagues in football.
Yes, as oppose to the epl which was the most lopsided having the season winner decided barely halfway through. A two horse league at best right now. Or should he been like Ronaldo and go to Juventus who have won the league nine straight times? Such an idiotic comment

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Funny if he did a Bale
That would require him to be desperately wanted out the door at Barca.

I don't care if people think it's crazy, him at City, I want to see him in the Prem.

romufc

messi does not want to leave for free at all. Not sure where you are getting that from. The only reason that gets brought up is because Barca want nothing less than 700M which no team can afford on top of his wages. Messi’s camp has stated many many times that they want an amicable split. They want Barca and city to negotiate a fair fee (100-150M) but Barca keep threatening with A lawsuit so city doesn’t want to get involved until the issue is resolved between Messi and city. Messi does not care for the money as much as you say right now. He wants ucl and knows the squad is too mismanaged to get there.
Depends which reports you read. If he wants to leave, like every transfer he has to wait for the clubs to negotiate. There are 0 reports saying City are negotiating with Barca for Messi. I have seen players move despite having release clauses. The fact that City will only want to sign Messi if he is free shows you why they are willing to pay him the money they will.

Messi does not care for money? Come on you cannot be that naive.. that is the only reason that only City can afford him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That would require him to be desperately wanted out the door at Barca.

I don't care if people think it's crazy, him at City, I want to see him in the Prem.
Yeah, me too. I think he tries to win back sympathies from Barca fans. Let's see if that increases the pressure on Bartomeu. Moreover, this could take a whole different term now that Bartomeu's apparently has completely different problems with the fraud accusations.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sensible. I don't see what Barcelona gain through this whole ordeal. They've mismanaged the life our of themselves and now instead of gracefully letting their greatest legend have a change of scenery are dicking about due to one extra season when he doesn't want to be there. They afemt obligated to listen to him but you'd think the would considering how much he'd done for them.

Not that I'm complaining. Not having to see him at city is good

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Depends which reports you read. If he wants to leave, like every transfer he has to wait for the clubs to negotiate. There are 0 reports saying City are negotiating with Barca for Messi. I have seen players move despite having release clauses. The fact that City will only want to sign Messi if he is free shows you why they are willing to pay him the money they will.

Messi does not care for money? Come on you cannot be that naive.. that is the only reason that only City can afford him.
you are wrong, Messi does not want to leave for free. City don’t want to pay 700M. Messi’s camp has constantly said they want an amicable split. Yes, he makes big wages but to say he is doing all this because he’s “money driven” is just blatantly wrong. He specifically wants to link up with Pep. He wants ucl above all. The clause in his contract supposedly says he can leave for free hence why it gets brought up. He wants Barca to let him go but they won’t budge from 700M. Messi isn’t leaving for money or anything close to it, he’s leaving because the sporting project at Barca has failed. He wants to win ucl and time is running out

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Let's see shall we, different sides seem to be briefing the media constantly and impossible to know what is coming from Barcelona or other interested parties and what is coming from Messi.

To me it would be very strange he would stay if this clause really does exist and that he has activated it in line with how it's written and properly (as seems likely given the lawyers he's using). By Barcelona refusing to honour it you would think it would make him more determined to leave rather than less. Barcelona would essentially be reneging on the contract they agreed with him.

How could he possibly want to stay and want to play for the club given such a dishonourable action?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Sensible. I don't see what Barcelona gain through this whole ordeal. They've mismanaged the life our of themselves and now instead of gracefully letting their greatest legend have a change of scenery are dicking about due to one extra season when he doesn't want to be there. They afemt obligated to listen to him but you'd think the would considering how much he'd done for them.

Not that I'm complaining. Not having to see him at city is good
At least you get it. Some of the takes on this thread are just appalling and clueless. He doesn’t want a court battle, and city especially don’t want to get involved if it goes down that road. He wants an amicable exit but knows no club can afford a 700M release clause. Players can move for much less than the release clause but only when the original club is willing to see for below that. He’s going to leave for free After the coming season if he does stay and it’s a lose lose for everyone

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yes, it could be the football side of things and the pursuit of more trophies in a functional team during his last years, but I'm wondering how many people would believe him over thinking the huge dangling carrot of all that money not being the driver? I suppose it could be both in equal measure, *Squint eye*

I still think his intention is to say, but I'm not as sure of that now as I was a week ago!

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Let's see shall we, different sides seem to be briefing the media constantly and impossible to know what is coming from Barcelona or other interested parties and what is coming from Messi.

To me it would be very strange he would stay if this clause really does exist and that he has activated it in line with how it's written and properly (as seems likely given the lawyers he's using). By Barcelona refusing to honour it you would think it would make him more determined to leave rather than less. Barcelona would essentially be reneging on the contract they agreed with him.

How could he possibly want to stay and want to play for the club given such a dishonourable action?
It’s such a crap situation. But he can’t risk a lawsuit and city don’t want that either. He can leave for free after the season but imagine holding your goat as a hostage.
So bizarre

amolbhatia50k

At least you get it. Some of the takes on this thread are just appalling and clueless. He doesn’t want a court battle, and city especially don’t want to get involved if it goes down that road. He wants an amicable exit but knows no club can afford a 700M release clause. Players can move for much less than the release clause but only when the original club is willing to see for below that. He’s going to leave for free After the coming season if he does stay and it’s a lose lose for everyone
Yeah don't see how it benefits both sides. Barcelona need to transition and now have their greatest ever unhappy and not wanting to be there - so probably another poor season coming up. Messi, if Bartemeu continues running riot, will most likely continue to carry a declining team who fall short, and then gets his move one year older and close to the end of his career, and less room to settle in a new league.

I guess it saves Bartemeu s skin which is the main thing.

amolbhatia50k

It's about having a change and trying to have a fresh title at the big honours after having tried to carry your current team to no avail (other than La Ligas). I don't think footballers as driven and brilliant as Messi and Ronaldo move for such reasons. It's a nice add on but nearly enough.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yep.

@cyberman

Status
Not open for further replies.