Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertd0803

Best of both worlds, he doesnt go to City for another year at least and him and Barca can continue their messy divorce in public for our amusement.

I sure wouldnt like to be Koeman.

cyberman

He never wanted to leave for free ffs. He wanted to terminate his contract and negotiate a transfer fee with city. But Barca refused to negotiate
And if City refused to pay a fee for someone who was a free agent?
This doesnt make an ounce of sense

Squeaky Bumtime

You can't be serious. Messi and Coward. Even from the most 'tinted' or 'baised' person, I never thought I would hear that word for Messi. I guess you need to understand what comfort zone is better. The guy has literally been the back bone carrying that side for years - he is anything but a coward.

If anything, him staying means that he is being a leader who is accepting that he has been short-changed despite everything that was promised to him. And yet - he is going to give his best to remain a professional. Messi will have a phenomenal season again - i can guarantee it.

Coward better suits Sanchez, who decided that United was not for him within one week of joining (although, he is talking about Jose's dressing room, and not United as a club).
What to expect from an user with that kind of name.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
And if City refused to pay a fee for someone who was a free agent?
This doesnt make an ounce of sense
it absolutely does. Messi leaving on a free was never a possibility. He just needed to legally file for contract termination and have Barca negotiate with city. City GLADLY would have paid 100-150M for him. They just couldn’t do 700M or have a lawsuit with Barca. Tons of tier 1 city sources reporting a reasonable would have been on the table to buy Messi. Barca get a decent payout from the transfer and Messi gets to go to a competent team.

cyberman

Cant believe he did this with goal.com. That was a joke of a website a few years ago, they had an interview with me on it about 5 years ago ffs!

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Why would he need to if he was told he could leave?
it was a last resort. He was constantly brushed aside all season when he told Barto he wanted out. The fax makes it a legal step towards terminating the contract. It was the only way when every other step had been exhausted.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Cant believe he did this with goal.com. That was a joke of a website a few years ago, they had an interview with me on it about 5 years ago ffs!
hahaha I was thinking the same thing. So random

cyberman

it absolutely does. Messi leaving on a free was never a possibility. He just needed to legally file for contract termination and have Barca negotiate with city. City GLADLY would have paid 100-150M for him. They just couldn’t do 700M or have a lawsuit with Barca. Tons of tier 1 city sources reporting a reasonable would have been on the table to buy Messi. Barca get a decent payout from the transfer and Messi gets to go to a competent team.
How can Barca get a fee if the contract is terminated? It literally means Barca doesn't hold his registration anymore. Why terminate at all if Barca are getting a fee?
Its nonsense

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Typical Messi isn't it, after making so much noises he did a U-turn, yet again.

mu4c_20le

They are popular with fans around the world and are openly biased towards Messi. They also make amusing illustrations.

Crashoutcassius

It’s not exactly a usual situation, that we’ve seen before. He’s the best player in the world, and gets paid as such. I don’t see this move as money driven, otherwise he would have exorcised their clause in June, and be at City right now having banked the biggest signing on fee in the history of the game, perhaps any team sport.
I'm not saying this move is money driven, but like aaron rodgers in NFL (this being a less talked about but comparable example) his drive to increase his wages to a rumoured 100m a season has hurt the clubs ability to rebuild (among other factors, which are talked about very often). In general he seems to threaten to leave every other season and his yearly pay goes up and up beyond what anyone has ever got paid before in football.

I tried to get across in original post, but whatever people think of this level of greed in an absolute sense, relative to most other footballers it seems he is pushing barce to their limits. Its barces decision to have played ball all these years of course, they really want Messi to retire there and will drive the club into the ground financially to achieve that

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Florentino Perez should make an offer for him or just state he's always welcome to join Real Madrid just to wind them up.

GiddyUp

Is that relevant to the discussion? The point being made was that he was a coward for staying at one club and not trying somewhere else.
Coward, absolutely no. The comfort zone is a very valid point though. Let's be honest, it hasn't been a healthy situation for a while. Both he and the club should agree to cash in or just walk away from each other. They owe each other nothing at this point.

Okey

Always the most likely outcome. Unnecessary, cringe worthy drama. Quite the stinking mess.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Right on, it was a power move and I think towards the elections he will dangle his desire to stay just to seal the deal. The board is done and he will have influence over who comes in.
Their fans are going to vote, right? You can bet on them choosing whoever Messi wants.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
How can Barca get a fee if the contract is terminated? It literally means Barca doesn't hold his registration anymore. Why terminate at all if Barca are getting a fee?
Its nonsense
Trying to terminate the contract shows how serious Messi is about leaving. Hence why he had to fax it in. Now that Barca now he's put his foot down they should have negotiated in good faith. He knew he wouldn't be let go for free. Barca rebuffed him all season when he said he'd like to leave.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Coward, absolutely no. The comfort zone is a very valid point though. Let's be honest, it hasn't been a healthy situation for a while. Both he and the club should agree to cash in or just walk away from each other. They owe each other nothing at this point.
comfort zone goes out the window when he tried so hard to leave. it's a rubbish excuse especially when you factor how poor the squad is in recent years.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It does seem suspicious and maybe it was just a power move but it would had been disruptive for the club had he handled the burofax in time when they were still competing, so I find Messi's version believable as well.

Anyway his statements and responses is what I was expecting for him although to make everything definitive a cement his posture and version I think he needed to state this is his last season and end up with the ambiguity or at least clarify his position regarding if his continuity is definitive. This way it seems like he still playing it safe which might lead to believe he was never serious about leaving.

So overall this just seems like a win for Real Madrid, and perhaps Manchester United fans if they were that afraid of him playing for City. By the way things have been dealt this puts a lot of pressure on Koeman, the board, the players and Messi himself so things are likely to get ugly if they have a poor season.
So what does Messi want from the board/President? more investment? change of manager? What is it that he's not satisfied with? Does he blame the President that the Club doesn't challenge the CL, even though they've been investing left and right?

Rooney1987

Thing I'm most confused about is how on earth did Goal.com get this interview? Is it considered more reputable outside of England?

Brophs

The One and Only
At least it saves him the embarrassment of not being able to dislodge Riyad Mahrez.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
So what does Messi want from the board/President? more investment? change of manager? What is it that he's not satisfied with? Does he blame the President that the Club doesn't challenge the CL, even though they've been investing left and right?
First of all he shouldn't be satisfied with himself and his performances in the latter stages of the UCL, he's a player and their captain so I'd expect him to be critical about how the team performs and his role as leader. If we're talking about the board and direction of the club some of their transfers have been questionable in terms of balancing the squad and I think some players wanted the club to get Neymar back and personally I think they need to start replacing players like Busquets and Pique. Recently it was also reported he didn't like the club getting rid of Suárez, or something among those lines, he might wish for a different board and different players but it's not healthy a player having so much influence so what he says about leaving being the best for the club and Barcelona makes sense and I agree with him.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Thing I'm most confused about is how on earth did Goal.com get this interview? Is it considered more reputable outside of England?
Perhaps it is friendship or sympathy with Rubén Uría, who interviewed him. He writes in goal but also works in other places (tve or goltv)

steffyr2

Honestly, doesn't this happen with Messi every summer? Usually to be followed by a new contract (and more money) for him?

trims

Supports
Arsenal
He wants a competent board who have a clear strategy and know how to invest. From his interview:

“I always said I wanted to end here and I always said I wanted to stay here. That I wanted a winning project and to win titles with the club, to continue expanding the legend of Barcelona.

"The truth is that there has been no project or anything for a long time, they juggle and cover holes as things go by."

Barca have spent close to 1B euros in the last 5 years since they won the champions league in 2015.

Andre Gomes, Alcacer, Neto, Alexis Vidal, Digne, Delafou, Mina cost a 180 mill alone. Spent 110 mill on Dembele who although is extremely talented, he hasn't the mentality to become a top player. Only 130 mill of the 1B they spent in the last 5 years started against Bayern.

There's also the Barcagate debacle where the board hired I3 Ventures to boost their image and negatively portray club legends and current players who were slating the board. That deal is also currently being investigated for possible corruption.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Matching Ronaldo with his "irreversible" decision to leave Madrid a couple of years before he actually did :lol:

RooneyLegend

Why don't they just sell him for 80 - 100 million and call it a day. Maybe just ask for Walker and Aguero. Seems a bit stupid to have a footballer who doesn't want to be there especially when he does zero work off the ball already.

Shiva87

So Messi knew Bartemou was a snake. But then believed him anyways. That too for a full season. And he never told his legal advisors about his intention to leave for free, again for an entire season. So they never looked up the contract and advise him correctly.

Seems lot of naivety by someone who has been in this business for so long.
When you are a legend at a club, you do the right thing by not declaring your intention to leave midseason. He has to keep it under wraps.

He was being a leader, not naive.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
I really hope Barca have a terrible start to the season. I am going to enjoy every minute of this soap opera!

Tbh I think Barca should be milking a rich club for as much as they can for him. It seems like he is a much part of the problems at that club as the people running it.

Get a massive fee for a problem player and use that money to aid a rebuild and a fresh start.

Why don't they just sell him for 80 - 100 million and call it a day. Maybe just ask for Walker and Aguero. Seems a bit stupid to have a footballer who doesn't want to be there especially when he does zero work off the ball already.
Personally don’t believe City will pay that money, not with the massive wages and signing on bonus.

City have spent a massive amount of money over the years, but they’ve never spent anywhere near that amount of money on one player.

Robin Van Cutie

I don’t think this is over for this window.

The option of selling Messi for a fee now rather than nothing next year has to be weighing on the Board’s mind. The comments today also mean it’s pretty impossible for the Board to save face, so the political motive for keeping him doesn’t seem that strong to me.

It sounds weird to say, but the footballing reasons to keep also don’t feel that strong. Even with him in the team, they’re maybe favourites for the league but no where in Europe. Without him, it still feels like they have a shot at league.

At this stage I think it’s fair to say Messi genuinely just wants out - he may not like management, but turnover there won’t make them the competitive force in the UCL Messi wants.Him staying just feels like the worst option for all parties. For what it’s worth, if he goes to City it’s not like he’ll miraculously improve their defence!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He wants a competent board who have a clear strategy and know how to invest. From his interview:

“I always said I wanted to end here and I always said I wanted to stay here. That I wanted a winning project and to win titles with the club, to continue expanding the legend of Barcelona.

"The truth is that there has been no project or anything for a long time, they juggle and cover holes as things go by."

Barca have spent close to 1B euros in the last 5 years since they won the champions league in 2015.

Andre Gomes, Alcacer, Neto, Alexis Vidal, Digne, Delafou, Mina cost a 180 mill alone. Spent 110 mill on Dembele who although is extremely talented, he hasn't the mentality to become a top player. Only 130 mill of the 1B they spent in the last 5 years started against Bayern.

There's also the Barcagate debacle where the board hired I3 Ventures to boost their image and negatively portray club legends and current players who were slating the board. That deal is also currently being investigated for possible corruption.
As in every Club, it's the manager that mostly do the signings. Is it different in Barca, that the President identified these signings? or does Messi want the CLub to consult with him, which players to sign beforehand?

Status
Not open for further replies.