Status
Not open for further replies.

Loon

:lol:
“I would never go to court against Barca as it is a club I love.”

.:...also, it would cost a shit ton of my money too

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The anti-Messi brigade is pathetic. Comical arguments.

Messi should have paid the 700M to prove himself to them in another league.What a quitter! He should have done like Ronaldo. Try and achieve the hardest feat in the world of football: Juventus winning Scudetto. Talk about a real challenge!

He should also stop getting the ball a lot to prove that he can give more assists without having the ball, as a genius cafite suggested earlier.

Tsk Tsk, Leo.
Indeed

He won't leave la liga because that's the only thing that suits him. He is comfortable in Spain and will not seek any new challenges. I would have respected him more if he took on a new challenge even if that meant going to a stacked Man City team.
Shut up man. You wouldn’t respect him no matter what. We don’t have to make everything about Messi vs Ronaldo.

fps

Haha, yes. Giggs went through court proceedings so he didn't have to publicly own up to fecking his brothers wife.
No no, is Ryan Giggs a coward for staying his whole career at Man Utd?

red4ever 79

A lot of people especially Barca fans making Barca out to be the villain and Messi an angel, not forgetting that this was the club that gave Messi a life, an opportunity and made him who he is today. When he was 10 and diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency, no club took a chance on him except Barca. It was Barca who paid for his treatment and gave him a chance and of course the rest is history.

I'm starting to think that a lot of these Barca fans in meltdown who are supporting Messi over Barca are not actually Barcelona fans but Messi fans. No player should be bigger than a club no matter how great he is. David Beckham is probably the most iconic footballer in Man Utd history and he was the main reason why I became a fan of Man Utd. When he left us in 2003 for Real Madrid, I was devastated. The next day the first thing in the morning in school, my mates were all coming to me and saying to me "Beckham left so I guess you are going to be a Real Madrid fan now." I actually questioned myself and then came to the conclusion that I might really be a fan of Beckham and not Man Utd. After all, I became a fan of the club through Beckham but I can't really bring myself to support Real Madrid and even though I follow his career closely at Real Madrid in his first season, there was no way in hell I'd be a Real Madrid fan so I ended up losing interest in his second season and came to the conclusion that the club should always be bigger than the player anytime.
God this guy cant get promoted. Wrote all that, and it's crap

fps

Ryan Giggs was never best player in the world.
Is that relevant to the discussion? The point being made was that he was a coward for staying at one club and not trying somewhere else.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
A lot of people especially Barca fans making Barca out to be the villain and Messi an angel, not forgetting that this was the club that gave Messi a life, an opportunity and made him who he is today. When he was 10 and diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency, no club took a chance on him except Barca. It was Barca who paid for his treatment and gave him a chance and of course the rest is history.

I'm starting to think that a lot of these Barca fans in meltdown who are supporting Messi over Barca are not actually Barcelona fans but Messi fans. No player should be bigger than a club no matter how great he is. David Beckham is probably the most iconic footballer in Man Utd history and he was the main reason why I became a fan of Man Utd. When he left us in 2003 for Real Madrid, I was devastated. The next day the first thing in the morning in school, my mates were all coming to me and saying to me "Beckham left so I guess you are going to be a Real Madrid fan now." I actually questioned myself and then came to the conclusion that I might really be a fan of Beckham and not Man Utd. After all, I became a fan of the club through Beckham but I can't really bring myself to support Real Madrid and even though I follow his career closely at Real Madrid in his first season, there was no way in hell I'd be a Real Madrid fan so I ended up losing interest in his second season and came to the conclusion that the club should always be bigger than the player anytime.
This needs a Nicholas Cage gif ffs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Well handled interview that, he needed to make a statement and staying one more year is definitely the right decision to avoid any legal disputes between him and the club.

Now we'll get a full season without knowing if he'll stay or not at the end of it though. They have good young players coming up and by the time the season ends they'll have a new board and most likely a new coach so everything will be different and he could easily change his mind.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Could be a slightly awkward season for him if he doesn't immediately hit top form!

Has gone about this whole thing very messily indeed.

At least City can bore off though

NoLogo

He's been there since 2014.

The level of success they've had isn't sustainable, it was always going to reach it's peak and then gradually decline.
You might be right about that but it felt under him the club took a direction away from being this club who prides itself in producing the best players in the country and having a distinct playing style to Real Madrid mk II.

mu4c_20le

Is that relevant to the discussion? The point being made was that he was a coward for staying at one club and not trying somewhere else.
And the only reason people are calling him a coward is because he is a contender for GOAT. If the team was built around Ryan Giggs for over a decade and he was on that level, I'm sure we would have a similar discussion. That's why i'm confused why ability is irrelevant

Mindhunter

If his contract had a deadline and he wanted to go, he knew he had to make the request earlier. It didnt have to be public. If the President agreed to let him go at the end of the season, it would have been more than a word of mouth.. Something legally binding

No one is that naive.

He can spin it as much as he wants. He knew he didnt have a case.. He just loves the attention. Some fecking power trip .

Like I said.. he has previous.
You go about with such certainty as if you are inside his head. No one knows what Messi is thinking so to portray such conviction in your statements is borderline egotistical.

He believed the gentleman's agreement to let him decide his future at the end of the season, something that was apparently reinforced multiple times over the year. I don't hear the president responding to Messi's criticism and refuting his claims. In the contract itself, they may have added June 10th as the deadline as they had to put in a date. Nobody knew that covid would hit and extend the season beyond that date. Messi had the right to test waters by checking if the club still uphold their promise of letting him choose. Seems like they don't.

amolbhatia50k

He won't leave la liga because that's the only thing that suits him. He is comfortable in Spain and will not seek any new challenges. I would have respected him more if he took on a new challenge even if that meant going to a stacked Man City team.
:lol: Sure. Some moronic stuff in this thread alright

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Buddy, he didn't back down due to his fear of the EPL. Did you read his interview? A lawsuit with Barca would be messy and heartbreaking. His clause says "June 10, at season's end". His team argues for "season's end" wording, while Barca hold stiff on the exact wording of June 10. Messi could obtain a certificate to leave for city while it goes to court but if he loses then city would have to pay 700M. Messi can now leave for free after the season. Barca screwed up royally.
I’m sure there is a bit of both in there l, if he was committed to leaving he would have. Because of Covid I believe fifa would honor the contract they signed. Would be a long process but they would.

The “heartbreaking” stuff to me is bollocks. The whole situation that is going on with him and the board allegedly is already heartbreaking enough so a few court dates would not change that.

We can agree to disagree but like I said he is Lionel Fecking Messi, If he was fully committed to leaving he absolutely would of and could have.

I have no doubt he thought about it and considered it but I think he got cold feet. We know how Messi Personality is so it is not out of the real of possibility.

clarkydaz

He has just publicly wiped his dick on the presidents face for not letting him leave La Liga and seek new challenges :lol:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
This is a 33-year-old man-child that looks to his dad to tell him what to do and the outcome is to pretend to want to leave a job that pays him half a million quid a week.

Prick.
Your argument makes no sense. So if you’re a man you can’t get advice from your parents? And that half a million he will earn here or at City so that ain’t going to change.

amolbhatia50k

Horrible take. Just running your mouth with no basis. His wanted to leave, but Barca wouldn't budge from 700M. People are acting like he just signed a 5 year extension with Barca while giving pep the bird. He still wants to leave, he's treated awfully by this toxic board.
He's best ignored or laughed at. There's no reasoning with such posters.

Crashoutcassius

not to be anti messi but he does seem to be fairly money driven even relative to other footballers. he tried to leave for free and the loop hole isn't there, probably needs to get over it now like every other footballer in the world whose tried to leave a club for cheap but the club doesn't let it happen

Shiva87

Just saw this, and I really feel for him. He did the right thing, and is getting royally back stabbed by the board at Barca. If anything, Messi should have been given a legend's send off (like Schweinsteiger got from Bayern), but the board made him the villain who wants to break his contract and leave as a rebel.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Hmm.. so the clause is for him to be able to leave for free, just by notifying the board by June 10? Whoever legally advised him to sent in the fax after June 10 needs to be fired then. Unless of course if there's a clause about "or season's end". So I don't see the problem.
It does seem suspicious and maybe it was just a power move but it would had been disruptive for the club had he handled the burofax in time when they were still competing, so I find Messi's version believable as well.

Anyway his statements and responses is what I was expecting for him although to make everything definitive a cement his posture and version I think he needed to state this is his last season and end up with the ambiguity or at least clarify his position regarding if his continuity is definitive. This way it seems like he still playing it safe which might lead to believe he was never serious about leaving.

So overall this just seems like a win for Real Madrid, and perhaps Manchester United fans if they were that afraid of him playing for City. By the way things have been dealt this puts a lot of pressure on Koeman, the board, the players and Messi himself so things are likely to get ugly if they have a poor season.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
not to be anti messi but he does seem to be fairly money driven even relative to other footballers. he tried to leave for free and the loop hole isn't there, probably needs to get over it now like every other footballer in the world whose tried to leave a club for cheap but the club doesn't let it happen
Agreed, he should give Josh King a ring

Castia

More transfer requests and retirements from the national team than I don’t know what.

Irrational.

Has Messi just done a Gerrard?

Though the motivations for doing the U-turn were slightly different: one didn't want to take his beloved club to court, the other changed his mind after his fans started burning his shirts and issuing threats.

It’s not exactly a usual situation, that we’ve seen before. He’s the best player in the world, and gets paid as such. I don’t see this move as money driven, otherwise he would have exorcised their clause in June, and be at City right now having banked the biggest signing on fee in the history of the game, perhaps any team sport.

Though the motivations for doing the U-turn were slightly different: one didn't want to take his beloved club to court, the other changed his mind after his fans started burning his shirts and issuing threats.
Similar, although I think the motivation was greater for Gerrard as he wanted to win the league.

clarkydaz

its not a u turn, the club wont allow the sale. seems he has the support of the fans anyway if he left

RedDevil@84

Just saw this, and I really feel for him. He did the right thing, and is getting royally back stabbed by the board at Barca
So Messi knew Bartemou was a snake. But then believed him anyways. That too for a full season. And he never told his legal advisors about his intention to leave for free, again for an entire season. So they never looked up the contract and advise him correctly.

Seems lot of naivety by someone who has been in this business for so long.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
So Messi knew Bartemou was a snake. But then believed him anyways. That too for a full season. And he never told his legal advisors about his intention to leave for free, again for an entire season. So they never looked up the contract and advise him correctly.

Seems lot of naivety by someone who has been in this business for so long.
He never wanted to leave for free ffs. He wanted to terminate his contract and negotiate a transfer fee with city. But Barca refused to negotiate

Status
Not open for further replies.