Lionel Scaloni| World Champion Coach

Idxomer

Hiring one of the Soprano crew has worked wonders for Argentina.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I really like him, brought back a sense of character to that Argentina side after a series of disastrous mangers appointments, them being so defensively superb gives them a ton of advantage in the world cup , especially seeing how they have a pretty good penalty goalie in Martinez.

Would instantly become a national hero in there if he manages to win it for them.

Skills

Snitch
They might just do it at the world cup. France should win it based on talent but they are fallible and nobody wins them back to back.

Nobody else really stands out

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Wasn't he an International and his brother?

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I really like him, brought back a sense of character to that Argentina side after a series of disastrous mangers appointments, them being so defensively superb gives them a ton of advantage in the world cup , especially seeing how they have a pretty good penalty goalie in Martinez.

Would instantly become a national hero in there if he manages to win it for them.
Absolutely agree, mate

That’s the reason why I create this thread, he is very interesting manager to watch at world-cup. He has a lot of potential to perform well at World Cup 2022 ( too hard to tell which round they will achieve).

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
For some reason I was sure he played for Real Madrid

Who am I thinking of?
He played for Depor for many years. In fact, before he was famous, there was a lot of hope in Coruña that he would be the coach one day.
As a footballer he was quite bad, but he sacrificed a lot for the team. An idol in the city

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
This guy deserves a lot of respect, such a very adaptive and class manager. I hope he will win the World Cup.

A bit old thread( from me :lol:), but he deserves his thread.

GinobiliTheGOAT

It is absolutely insane that he had zero senior experience as a manager prior to becoming the national coach. No matter what happens Sunday he's done a phenomenal job.

Last edited:

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
He'll probably become the fourth most famous "Lionel" ever if he wins. Well-deserved.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
This guy deserves a lot of respect, such a very adaptive and class manager. I hope he will win the World Cup.

A bit old thread( from me :lol:), but he deserves his thread.
Yup people wax lyrical about the work that Southgate has done with the English set up (harmony between the players and supporters) but it pales in comparrison with what's happened in Argentina under Scaloni.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
He's done a fantastic job with Argentina and the artisan of their renewal. He made them look like a team again. I didn't give him much credit until the quarter finals (shows how little I knew) but he's up there with Regragui as the best coaches of the tournament.

MostHandsomePlayer

He's easily the best manager in the tournament. Not only is he did win the Copa, Finalissima, go on that huge streak, and get them in the final but had to do it building the team almost from scratch. Then his midfield comes in all broken and he finds solutions. Has the balls to drop big players, like Lautaro, without messing up team chemistry and promote youngsters. His tactics have varied depending o opposition and have been spot on. Hormone has really not been impressive at all. It's down to Scaloni's tactics more than anything else.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He identified what's wrong with the team and brought in hardworking players to cover Messi's lack of defensive efforts.

He has had fair share of mistakes too. But definitely deserves the credit for turning it around. Basically Argentina wasted Messi's peak by appointing clueless managers . Maradona, Sabella (despite reaching final, he was too defensive), Sampaoli etc.

Pekerman was the last manager under which Argentina looked like a team. He resigned after 2006 world cup. Says it all about AFA.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's easily the best manager in the tournament. Not only is he did win the Copa, Finalissima, go on that huge streak, and get them in the final but had to do it building the team almost from scratch. Then his midfield comes in all broken and he finds solutions. Has the balls to drop big players, like Lautaro, without messing up team chemistry and promote youngsters. His tactics have varied depending o opposition and have been spot on. Hormone has really not been impressive at all. It's down to Scaloni's tactics more than anything else.
Exactly this, his different tactical approach from game to game was the most impressive.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He played for Depor for many years. In fact, before he was famous, there was a lot of hope in Coruña that he would be the coach one day.
As a footballer he was quite bad, but he sacrificed a lot for the team. An idol in the city
He played with Duscher didn't he in that Man. United game when Beckham broke his metatarsal and English press did its usual.

Also played for West Ham in 2006 fa cup final and his scuffed clearance in 91st minute went to Gerrard 30 yards out....

Anyway it's quite a story this. Think Scaloni was lurking in Argentina youth set up and he got the job as caretaker in 2018 despite having no managerial experience whatsoever. Even with someone like Southgate he managed Boro for three seasons.

Considering how dysfunctional Argentina were at 2018 world cup he's produced a miracle for them to be one victory away from Copa America-World cup double. Time will tell if that will eventually translate to club management but he'd probably have a good run at Argentine presidency if he so wishes if he wins v France.:lol:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Yeah he's been fantastic at this tournament as he has been since he got the job. His game to game approach has been refreshing. It feels like we rarely see that in international tournaments. Usually teams have their way of playing and their preferred XI and that's that.

The one thing I would criticise him for though was his subs v the Netherlands. He took Romero off and kept Martinez on while the Netherlands were throwing on Weghorst and de Jong who are both massive and monsters in the air. I know Martinez is a good defender, don't get me wrong, but his size is an issue when you're talking about him being isolated v someone like Weghorst. I felt he should've subbed Martinez off instead to counteract what was obviously going to be a desperate high ball approach by the Dutch. Weghorst's first for example highlighted this. Although obviously I'm not privy to fitness issues, perhaps Romero was carrying a knock, I'm not sure. Romero was booked so it could be that he was protecting him from a possible suspension but so too was Martinez, so I don't know. It just seemed a risky change to make.

bond19821982

Yeah he's been fantastic at this tournament as he has been since he got the job. His game to game approach has been refreshing. It feels like we rarely see that in international tournaments. Usually teams have their way of playing and their preferred XI and that's that.

The one thing I would criticise him for though was his subs v the Netherlands. He took Romero off and kept Martinez on while the Netherlands were throwing on Weghorst and de Jong who are both massive and monsters in the air. I know Martinez is a good defender, don't get me wrong, but his size is an issue when you're talking about him being isolated v someone like Weghorst. I felt he should've subbed Martinez off instead to counteract what was obviously going to be a desperate high ball approach by the Dutch. Weghorst's first for example highlighted this. Although obviously I'm not privy to fitness issues, perhaps Romero was carrying a knock, I'm not sure. Romero was booked so it could be that he was protecting him from a possible suspension but so too was Martinez, so I don't know. It just seemed a risky change to make.
His all changes in one go, definitely has been a concern. As soon as his changes goes in, they invite pressure. I don't know if it's a sub issue or a tactic issue.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
His all changes in one go, definitely has been a concern. As soon as his changes goes in, they invite pressure. I don't know if it's a sub issue or a tactic issue.
Yeah definitely. In the Croatia game the other night he made a sub before defending a free kick which I thought was strange. Croatia nearly scored from it. Just wait until after you've defended it then make the change.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He identified what's wrong with the team and brought in hardworking players to cover Messi's lack of defensive efforts.

He has had fair share of mistakes too. But definitely deserves the credit for turning it around. Basically Argentina wasted Messi's peak by appointing clueless managers . Maradona, Sabella (despite reaching final, he was too defensive), Sampaoli etc.

Pekerman was the last manager under which Argentina looked like a team. He resigned after 2006 world cup. Says it all about AFA.
That was the most laughable one. It was shooting yourselves in the foot really. The game against Germany was hilarious - they played with one midfielder. One.

bond19821982

That was the most laughable one. It was shooting yourselves in the foot really. The game against Germany was hilarious - they played with one midfielder. One.
Yep,.still remember the line up. Against a possession oriented German team Mascharano and Maxi defensive midfield , Messi, Aguero, Tevez, Di Maria attackers and Otamendi right back .

Jeez !!!!

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan

Tbf, if Argentina had lost a penalty shoot-out to the Netherlands, I wouldn’t have come back to this old-thread or it would be another way of answer like why the feck this bum he took Romero blabla.:lol:

Agree in match against Netherland part

NoPace

Yeah, he probably should have trusted Foyth to come on in the Dutch game but Scaloni has done brilliantly, matching the Dutch formation and then stifling the Croats. His strategy of nullifying the other team and trusting Messi to win it isn't that duplicable, but it's absolutely been the right way to play this WC.

ScholesyTheWise

They might just do it at the world cup. France should win it based on talent but they are fallible and nobody wins them back to back.

Nobody else really stands out
What a brilliant (if unintentional?) prediction for the best 2 candidates to win it... well done hehe

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
First two are obvious. Who is number 3?
The third would, I believe, be dependent on your personal cultural context. My list has Lionel Jospin, a former French Prime Minister, in the third spot. Someone earlier mentioned Lionel Hutz, whom a massive Simpsons fan as myself should really have thought of. But it would seem that watching Lionel Jospin's appearances as a puppet in "Les Guignoles de l'info" (the French "Spitting Image"), has stayed with me more than Lionel Hutz. I was kind of surprised by that.

BerryBerryShrew

Yep,.still remember the line up. Against a possession oriented German team Mascharano and Maxi defensive midfield , Messi, Aguero, Tevez, Di Maria attackers and Otamendi right back .

Jeez !!!!
All while the likes of Cambiasso, Zanetti, and Riquelme watched on forlornly from home...

RopersReturn

Interesting to note that Scaloni is the polar opposite to Southgate, in that he’s not averse to changing the squad or tactics when the games slipping away from him.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Today he uses a 4-4-2 formation. I think this formation will suit to contain Greizmann and probably the flanks from both sides. Maybe he will plan to defend deep making Mbappe's and Dembele's life difficult and then counter it.