Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
And it seems to be very obvious he allows tactical flexibility and rapid shifts from 2 to 3 man systems; transitioning should be seamless. DM in 2; 3rd CB in 3. Eclectic.

Rolaholic

Worth noting that Javier Mascherano was the same height and a centre back for Barca and he did pretty alright. Used to be funny hearing football experts talk about how his height was a disadvantage and he could be got at and it never happened (Similar to Blind when he was here)

Different league I know.
He was decent for the Scousers as well tbf

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He was decent for the Scousers as well tbf
Exclusively a DM at Liverpool I believe.

There have obviously been many successful relatively short CBs in football history, especially in Italy and Spain.

I honestly can’t remember the last 5’9 CB in the Premier League, let alone a successful one for a big club.

I like Martinez as a LB option for Arsenal who can cover CB if necessary. Or as a LCB in a three man back line, sort of like a left sided Azpilicueta. But no way would I want him as a regular starter in the middle of a four man defense.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

There have obviously been many successful relatively short CBs in football history, especially in Italy and Spain.

I honestly can’t remember the last 5’9 CB in the Premier League, let alone a successful one for a big club.

I like Martinez as a LB option for Arsenal who can cover CB if necessary. Or as a LCB in a three man back line, sort of like a left sided Azpilicueta. But no way would I want him as a regular starter in the middle of a four man defense.
Ake was 1.8 m as per google, he had good career. Azpi played in 3 CB system, he was shorter than Ake.

It's still a risky option but winning headers is more than just height.

dasty

Just like how older players age slowly goes up on redcafe (Ibra's age moved up from 35 to 39 and Perisic from 28 to 31, all in 1 transfer window!), it seems that the height of a player slowly goes down as well :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Can any of our Dutch fans do a Martinez vs Timber assessment?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I prefer Timber but I think Martinez is better right now. They're about equal when it comes to their general press resistance and dribbling, but Martinez is a better playmaker and is more sound defensively.

I do think Timber will end up better, though, which is why I prefer him, and why I think ten Hag wanted him before van Gaal put a stop to that.

Amsterdam Devil

Can any of our Dutch fans do a Martinez vs Timber assessment?
Timber much more talented but still young, right footed.

Martinez more experienced and with some Argentinian toughness in his play, left footed.

Timbur more elegant player and good positional awareness. Timber is a good right back as well. Martinez can play in midfield.

Hard to pick one but maybe Timber because he will a future star.

Some of the credits for Ajax performances the last couple of years have gone to players like Martinez and Alvarez because they gave some extra South American fight, toughness and hard mentality to passing and attacking game Ajax already had.

Pronewbie

Peep

Martinez more experienced and with some Argentinian toughness in his play, left footed.

Timbur more elegant player and good positional awareness. Timber is a good right back as well. Martinez can play in midfield.

Some of the credits for Ajax performances the last couple of years have gone to players like Martinez and Alvarez because they gave some extra South American fight, toughness and hard mentality to passing and attacking game Ajax already had.
We've certainly lacked that grit and toughness in recent years.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Thanks mate. I hope that the Dutch revolution would have a similar effect of the famous 3 Dutch men that enchanted my childhood back in the day. Its a shame that it didn't happen at our club

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Arsenal agree a fee, only for us to gazump them by offering a little bit more. Like with Malacia. It’s one way to avoid the United tax.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Arsenal agree a fee, only for us to gazump them by offering a little bit more. Like with Malacia. It’s one way to avoid the United tax.
Honestly I dont think this is an actual strategy. We just stepped in as soon as the de Jong fee was agreed and we knew what we can allocate for Malacia.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If only United were able to negotiate several deals at a time...

Pronewbie

Peep
I'm lukewarm on this signing because based on reports the 1st choice was always Timber. We also have a horrific track record with Argentinians. Does anyone if Martinez is as good as a DM as he is in CB? If we push hard for this deal I'll take it that EtH doesn't like what he's seen in training.

Kag

I do like the idea of a left footed centre half. He can fight it out with Maguire and Lindelof can fight it out with Varane.

Nero

Just seems like the runners-up prize after we actually wanted Timber.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

The wee Chilean bulldog looking one did ok at both DM and CB for Cardiff I seem to remember.

Zoo

Not sure about that as buying a left-footed CB has been talked about for a long time. And who is to say that we won’t return for Timber in the future.

Dazzmondo

Ronaldo was the runners-up prize after we actually wanted Ronaldinho. Andy Cole was the runners-up prize after we actually wanted Alan Shearer.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I find it interesting that people automatically attribute these Ajax players to their established position on the pitch. I’d have thought the first thing to consider each time is what they offer and how they are generally expected to be capable in multiple positions, which in turn benefits them when they move on. The need we have for him is DM, at another club, he’d be going as a LB and another still, he’d be a CB.

Of course, all subject to change in the future, even at the club he joins - but the very first thing to utilise is the eclectic nature of these players to fill the particular hole in your squad, is it not?

For us, it’s exactly the crossover of positions we’re desperate to fill in with him being a DM as well as a CB who can fill in at LB or LCB. Tactically, it’s a dream signing who gives so much flexibility outside of simply using him in midfield, but I don’t think of the guy as CB above all else - he’s Rice for half or a third of the price!

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'm lukewarm on this signing because based on reports the 1st choice was always Timber. We also have a horrific track record with Argentinians. Does anyone if Martinez is as good as a DM as he is in CB? If we push hard for this deal I'll take it that EtH doesn't like what he's seen in training.
He hasn't trained many of our first team players yet.

cyberman

Doesn’t make sense. Ten Hag have told Martinez to sit tight for a few days until we get sorted. It’s not something you can really rush through

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Malacia and De Jong are now at player agreement levels right? The tedious part of the deals look done.
Both are very close to done deals. If we're serious about landing Martinez and are willing to pay around 40M for him then I don't think Arsenal stand much of a chance. I think Martinez would prefer to come here and play under ten Hag again. Not to mention we have agent Edwin. :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.