Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Honestly, he's kind of going the way of Di marzio at this point, who was deemed some sort of oracle.
He's just a copy cat. He just recyclyed Mike Verweij's tweet of yesterday evening. He does that all the time, albeit most of the time he does also make the referrals to the orginal source. Romano doesn't seem to have any direct sources himself, but appears to be in close contact to various journalists that do have close sources within the clubs. Nothing is really wrong with that, especially if he refers to the original source. It just means that he isn't some kind of oracle.

In this tweet he may be the first one to mention that Ajax and United discuss this deal tomorrow. However, anyone could have guessed that from the news that's already known. That the deal is approaching the final stage is something I concluded myself as well. United is nearing what Ajax have always asked and Ajax have now conceded that they're willing to discuss the departure. After all this time and all the offers that came in, it doesn't take a genious to conclude we're in / approaching the end game. It's just a matter of discussing the last few millions and the conditions of the add ons. A 50-60m deal won't break over those details.

Probably tomorrow or the day after we get a confirmation that a verbal agreement is reached and then it takes a day or two more to discuss all the details and put it on paper. My guess is it will be official on Friday or Monday.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's trying too hard to be a front runner of every story. He's got a lot of his "here we go"s and "in the final stages" calls wrong this summer.

His "exclusive" on this is we're meeting them on Wednesday. Everyone else has already reported everything he said already, it's just a bit tiresome him trying to paint his reports as the golden source, even to the extent he clearly made a passive aggressive dig at Shraeger getting the Vitinha story wrong.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's just a copy cat. He just recyclyed Mike Verweij's tweet of yesterday evening. He does that all the time, albeit most of the time he does also make the referrals to the orginal source. Romano doesn't seem to have any direct sources himself, but appears to be in close contact to various journalists that do have close sources within the clubs. Nothing is really wrong with that, especially if he refers to the original source. It just means that he isn't some kind of oracle.

In this tweet he may be the first one to mention that Ajax and United discuss this deal tomorrow. However, anyone could have guessed that from the news that's already known. That the deal is approaching the final stage is something I concluded myself as well. United is nearing what Ajax have always asked and Ajax have now conceded that they're willing to discuss the departure. After all this time and all the offers that came in, it doesn't take a genious to conclude we're in / approaching the end game. It's just a matter of discussing the last few millions and the conditions of the add ons. A 50-60m deal won't break over those details.

Probably tomorrow or the day after we get a confirmation that a verbal agreement is reached and then it takes a day or two more to discuss all the details and put it on paper. My guess is it will be official on Friday or Monday.
Exactly, sorry I posted my reply before I saw this. Summed it up quite well, I am surprised he is passing this off as his exclusive.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's the United way.

New manager -> Buys expensive CB to fix defensive -> Wonders why nothing changes when we have no DM
Stupid narrative this summer to blame the midfield for everything and absolve the injury prone, error ridden wheelie bibs we had for cbs last season

Chief123

It’s abit of a luxury buy when we still have four centrebacks at the club, isn’t it?
You could say we have 10 centre backs if you include reserve and academy players too, but we certainly don't have 4 that are good enough to rely on for a full season. Bailly and Phil Jones are dispensable and not one of the options. Neither can be relied upon

marktan

Stupid narrative this summer to blame the midfield for everything and absolve the injury prone, error ridden wheelie bibs we had for cbs last season
Fair enough but Varane is a starting CB for France who won 3 CLs with Madrid. New guy isn't suddenly going into come in and be any better, same issues that caused Maguire and Varane to be run ragged will apply to Martinez as well.

MUnchies

Is this chap really only 5'9" or is someone playing silly buggers on wiki?

I know Cannavaro was similarly teeny but he'd be the shortest CB in the Prem at that height I would imagine.
And who cares? Worry about the hype Koulibaly

Rolaholic

Murtough and tricky Dick are scheduled to be in Amsterdam today too...

Welcome aboard

golden_blunder

Staff
Fair enough but Varane is a starting CB for France who won 3 CLs with Madrid. New guy isn't suddenly going into come in and be any better, same issues that caused Maguire and Varane to be run ragged will apply to Martinez as well.
First thing for Varane is prove he can stay fit. Same for Lindelof and his ongoing back problem. On that basis alone we should be getting a new CB because we can’t rely on the fitness of the ones we have.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He'll soften the blow of Timber changing his mind.

I actually think Martinez is better right now, but I do think Timber will end up being the better of the two. Just have to hope this season is a success and we can convince him next year.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Just realised this guy started at Newell's Old Boys. back in the day, they were known for defenders who made Billy Bremner looked clean! The only way their kicking and hacking could have been worse was if they had used an electric hedge trimmer! the only ones worse were Boca, who included the loony Rattin who got sent off against England in 1966.

I have never seen martinez play but I hope he's worth all the trouble and is a bit more cultured! I'd really like to see someone who is as comfortable on the ball as Rio was. Varane hasn't shown much of that as yet, Maguire never will in my opinion. Lindelof actually comes closest if you ask me and is always better when he plays on his favourite side of the CB pairing.

What side does Martinez prefer? Can he play in a three and a four?

Last edited:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I mean Varane has fitness issues and hasn't played well for about 3 years. That was always a risky signing.

Mcking

He'll soften the blow of Timber changing his mind.

I actually think Martinez is better right now, but I do think Timber will end up being the better of the two. Just have to hope this season is a success and we can convince him next year.
Would have preferred Timber for the range of positions he could play. A CB that is pretty comfortable at RB and could also perform well at DM would have been fantastic.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Would have preferred Timber for the range of positions he could play. A CB that is pretty comfortable at RB and could also perform well at DM would have been fantastic.
Agree about the ability to play across the line... although never seen either play. If we are dong well at Xmas, it might be worth another punt in the January window

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just realised this guy started at Newell's Old Boys. back in the day, they were known for defenders who made Billy Bremner looked clean! The only way their kicking and hacking could have been worse was if they had used an electric hedge trimmer! the only ones worse were Boca, who included the loony Rattin who got sent off against England in 1966.

I have never seen martinez play but I hope he's worth all the trouble and is a bit more cultured! I'd really like to see someone who is as comfortable on the ball as Rio was. Varane hasn't shown much of that as yet, Maguire never will in my opinion. Lindelof actually comes closest if you ask me and is always better when he plays on his favourite side of the CB pairing.

What side does Martinez prefer? Cn he play in a three and a four?
Martinez is fantastic on the ball. Can resist pressing opposition, dribble/carry the ball forwards, and is a Blind-esque playmaker.

He's left footed and prefers being the lcb.

I think Martinez is pretty versatile himself. The both of them being so comfortable in possession is key to that.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Martinez is fantastic on the ball. Can resist pressing opposition, dribble/carry the ball forwards, and is a Blind-esque playmaker.

I think Martinez is pretty versatile himself. The both of them being so comfortable in possession is key to that.
I always felt we mis-played Blind. We never got the best out of him so if this guy is what both of you say, sounds like a good one and not massively overpriced

Yagami

Good post resistant
I always felt we mis-played Blind. We never got the best out of him so if this guy is what both of you say, sounds like a good one and not massively overpriced
I definitely think he'll be a fantastic addition to the squad. I was a bit miffed when it seemed like Arsenal were going to sign him but wasn't that bothered as I thought we had Timber sewn up. After that fell through, though, I'm glad we shifted our attention to him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I definitely think he'll be a fantastic addition to the squad. I was a bit miffed when it seemed like Arsenal were going to sign him but wasn't that bothered as I thought we had Timber sewn up. After that fell through, though, I'm glad we shifted our attention to him.
timber definitely sums up the window so far... looked a certainty and quickly went nowhere

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What are the chances ten Hag has plans to play 3 at the back this season?
Team trained in 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 shape and we played 4-2-3-1 against Liverpool. That gives a clear indication on how we are lining up.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Don't know about him to be honest, but 55M seems really high.

Really hope that he's a potential world class player, because at this price we could have Koulibaly that would have bring instant quality and leadership.

Hope that we will be able to offload Jones/Bailly/Tuanzebe so we will not have 6 players at the same position.

DevilRed

Murtough and tricky Dick are scheduled to be in Amsterdam today too...

Welcome aboard
Maybe we should be hijacking his replacement :lol:

But it does seem like ETH really wants him. Is he going to play in midfield though? Can't see us dropping Harry after he is confirmed to be captain.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't know about him to be honest, but 55M seems really high.

Really hope that he's a potential world class player, because at this price we could have Koulibaly that would have bring instant quality and leadership.

Hope that we will be able to offload Jones/Bailly/Tuanzebe so we will not have 6 players at the same position.
I'd definitely prefer Martinez to Koulibaly. Aside from how much one actually suits our needs at CB more that the other, we don't need make our current collection of CBs any older by adding a 31 year old.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I'd definitely prefer Martinez to Koulibaly. Aside from how much one actually suits our needs at CB more that the other, we don't need make our current collection of CBs any older by adding a 31 year old.
Partly agree with you but think we need instant stability in this position rather than potential. Would rather spend money in this position to strenghen this weak area now, and btw Koulibaly is 31 and could play for 4 more years so it's not like he's already 39

Real Name

we haven't exactly, shone have we? everything is taking an age when it looked fairly simple eg fdj and eriksen - one of whom no one else is after, the other is a free
Well since Barca is owning FDJ some money and wont pay him I wouldn't say its simple.

As for Martinez, its negotiating the price.

So how is that the same as Timber deal which fell through really quick.

Rake

Honestly, he's kind of going the way of Di marzio at this point, who was deemed some sort of oracle.
He has connections. The thing is that he is not even remotely as connected within the game as he would like to appear.

golden_blunder

Staff
we haven't exactly, shone have we? everything is taking an age when it looked fairly simple eg fdj and eriksen - one of whom no one else is after, the other is a free
You said a desk falling through is a summary of our summer. How’s that the case? We’ve got one deal done, another at medical stage, 2 more which are looking very positive. So how’s it the same?

zaafi

This has flop written all over it. I think Erik is massively underestimating the physical nature of the PL. A 5’9 centre back is going to get absolutely mullered on a weekly basis. It doesn’t matter how good he is on the ball he’s going to be such an obvious target for the opposition.

For £50 odd million too, when we are working to a budget and are desperately short in midfield and in attack. Just doesn’t make sense at all. So many red flags with this signing.
He did exceptionally well in the Champions League, but sure, Tim Waterbucket of mighty Nottingham Forest will surely destroy him. It seems a lot of you mistake his height with being weak. Kanté is short. Is he targeted and lose a lot of duels?

Martinez is aggressive and a strong defender, and although being taller would help him, it is by no means critical, especially not for the way we're going to play. Besides, he pocketed Haaland - a physical specimen.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Does it not get tiring, constantly moaning? Of the two you've listed, one has agreed to come and the other, we've agreed a fee but the move has been delayed due to factors outside of our control.

Even Timber, it's widespread news that he was talked out of a move by his national team manager.

What would you have liked the club to have done different?

Bondi77

Being comfortable in possession in his current league is a world away from being comfortable in the Premier League

flameinthesun

One of the best young passing defenders in the world who can play cb, lb and the magical dm? What is there not to like about this transfer?

Can play on a back 2, back 3 or as the dm. I'm very excited for this signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.