Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Partly agree with you but think we need instant stability in this position rather than potential. Would rather spend money in this position to strenghen this weak area now, and btw Koulibaly is 31 and could play for 4 more years so it's not like he's already 39
This would make sense if you re-hired Mourinho as the manager. This kind of thinking is also why United still is where it is, a decade after SAF. Just signing players based on name and reputation, rarher than a player that actually suits the managers philosophy in the long term. Koulibaly doesn't suit EtH's philosophy. Makes no sense to sign him.

MDFC Manager

Being comfortable in possession in his current league is a world away from being comfortable in the Premier League
True, but also, being comfortable in possession is a team effort. Makes it easier when most/all in team are able to do it

Yagami

Good post resistant
Being comfortable in possession in his current league is a world away from being comfortable in the Premier League
You have a point, but two things. First, regardless of the quality of the league, it’s rare to see a CB as good in possession as he (& Timber) are. Second, he maintained that standard in Europe. Very promising stuff, imo.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Double announcement - Martinez and Antony?

They've given us the price for both and the players are pushing for the move, so.....
I'd rather take Timber than Antony. Makes our transition smoother and more balance from the wings. RW can be interchangeable between different players as I understand we'll be very fluid in attack's formation.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Double announcement - Martinez and Antony?

They've given us the price for both and the players are pushing for the move, so.....
United havent made any proper bid on Antony yet. The package deal rumours are total bollocks. No serious media has reported on that. It also doesnt make sense. The only word that came out is that for Ajax to reluctantly sell these players it would take €50-60m for Martinez and €80m for Antony.

Given how firm Ajax have stood regarding the fee for Martinez, I wouldn't expect Ajax to be much more willing to concede on the €80m for Antony. Don't see United paying this kind of money, if even able to afford that.

Lyng

If we are to pay 50 million for him then that would be 5 million more than what is reported Torino want for Bremer.
I am sure they would prefer to sell him to us rather than Inter?

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
If we are to pay 50 million for him then that would be 5 million more than what is reported Torino want for Bremer.
I am sure they would prefer to sell him to us rather than Inter?
Martinez would be cheap then. Bremer? Never played for NT, never played a Champions League match, never played for a team that's expected to win every week and compete for prizes. Martinez is a year younger and has much more experience already. Not to mention Bremer has played for Torino, meaning a side that mainly plays in a defensive organization, dropping back with 11 players on their own half. Martinez is used to playing a high line for a team that domimates the game through possession.

If Bremer cost 50m, Martinez for 55m is cheap.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Why is this taking so long?
Because people aren't done saying the exact same things on loop in here yet.

Both clubs are on tenterhooks for when the discussions revolving around his: height, position, worth and shoe size conclude, and then they shall proceed.

Trex

Because people aren't done saying the exact same things on loop in here yet.

Both clubs are on tenterhooks for when the discussions revolving around his: height, position, worth and shoe size conclude, and then they shall proceed.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought I posted that on Eriksen thread.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Martinez would be cheap then. Bremer? Never played for NT, never played a Champions League match, never played for a team that's expected to win every week and compete for prizes. Martinez is a year younger and has much more experience already. Not to mention Bremer has played for Torino, meaning a side that mainly plays in a defensive organization, dropping back with 11 players on their own half. Martinez is used to playing a high line for a team that domimates the game through possession.

Sadly I don't think you're going to convince some people that someone from the Dutch league is worth that much. It seems to be the common thought, which admittedly, I was guilty of initially. After looking at his profile and experience as you say, there's not a great deal of players out there like him. When you add in you'll have to spend something like 20m euros on the replacement (Mykola Matviyenko for example) it's not an outlandish figure at all.

Kostov

I assume we've learned our lesson there atleast. We won't jump from a guy like Ten Hag to someone like Conte / Mourinho.

I'd also prefer to ignore Eriksen, FdJ, Malacia signings here. Malacia, Eriksen were cheap. FdJ is world class so any new manager will be able to use him just fine.

The only questions are if we'll give him both Martinez and Antony. I convinced myself that Martinez is fine because him with FdJ will be a get out of jail free card in terms of build up play. Would like us to try out existing players on the RW before committing significant funds towards Antony.

In my book that's a 50M signing that the new guy wanted and that's reasonable.
Is he really that good? I mean FDJ I understand but Martinez? You are making him out like he is prime Piquet.

He did exceptionally well in the Champions League, but sure, Tim Waterbucket of mighty Nottingham Forest will surely destroy him. It seems a lot of you mistake his height with being weak. Kanté is short. Is he targeted and lose a lot of duels?

Martinez is aggressive and a strong defender, and although being taller would help him, it is by no means critical, especially not for the way we're going to play. Besides, he pocketed Haaland - a physical specimen.
And you started watching the PL this June or something? PL football is often played on the front foot, aggressive, with lots of duels and aerial play. Now you might only watch City play tiki taka but most of the teams don't play champions league football and are pretty physical and demanding. Now imagine Manchester United backline consisting of Lindelof and Martinez playing any fecking side in the PL, their aerial weakness will destabilize the whole team, and there is no going around that.

Bondi77

You have a point, but two things. First, regardless of the quality of the league, it’s rare to see a CB as good in possession as he (& Timber) are. Second, he maintained that standard in Europe. Very promising stuff, imo.
Why is he not first choice with the national tem then?
Ottamendi is shite and I have not seen enough of Romero to have a real good opinion yet.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Why is he not first choice with the national tem then?
Ottamendi is shite and I have not seen enough of Romero to have a real good opinion yet.
No idea! At the rate he’s improving, though, I’d be surprised if he doesn’t start more often than not sooner rather than later!

zaafi

And you started watching the PL this June or something? PL football is often played on the front foot, aggressive, with lots of duels and aerial play. Now you might only watch City play tiki taka but most of the teams don't play champions league football and are pretty physical and demanding. Now imagine Manchester United backline consisting of Lindelof and Martinez playing any fecking side in the PL, their aerial weakness will destabilize the whole team, and there is no going around that.
You're just proving my point. Martinez is an aggressive and proactive defender who engages in duels. We don't want another Lindelof with Pau Torres. Martinez is strong and wins most of his duels, both on the ground and aerially.

Also don't understand your point about Lindelof and Martinez playing together. It would be either Martinez and Maguire or Martinez and Varane. Martinez is a LCB, while Maguire, even though plays LCB, prefers to play RCB.

Bondi77

No idea! At the rate he’s improving, though, I’d be surprised if he doesn’t start more often than not sooner rather than later!
Maybe he could be good in England but for me upwards of 40mil is getting a bit unrealistic.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
He started the last 2 matches before his injury, so he might already be a starter

A-man

He did exceptionally well in the Champions League, but sure, Tim Waterbucket of mighty Nottingham Forest will surely destroy him. It seems a lot of you mistake his height with being weak. Kanté is short. Is he targeted and lose a lot of duels?

Martinez is aggressive and a strong defender, and although being taller would help him, it is by no means critical, especially not for the way we're going to play. Besides, he pocketed Haaland - a physical specimen.
I took a look at his CL games and it seems he only played against two PL teams.
Chelsea as DM, one match lost by 0-1 and one 4-4 draw. And then Liverpool two times loosing with 0-1. Don’t think that is enough to evaluate him for PL, it will sure be a risk taking.

Lyng

Surely being named in the serie a best 11 means something.

Teja

Is he really that good? I mean FDJ I understand but Martinez? You are making him out like he is prime Piquet.
No idea - just saying I'm okay with trusting the manager on a single signing. He is definitely not as good as Pique as a total package, but his passing ability does look top notch.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No idea - just saying I'm okay with trusting the manager on a single signing. He is definitely not as good as Pique as a total package, but his passing ability does look top notch.
Yeah his passing looks exceptional and also looks he is aggressive CB which is something we need.

Fox outside the box

I took a look at his CL games and it seems he only played against two PL teams.
Chelsea as DM, one match lost by 0-1 and one 4-4 draw. And then Liverpool two times loosing with 0-1. Don’t think that is enough to evaluate him for PL, it will sure be a risk taking.
He was a midfielder when he was bought by Ajax though and it was Ten Hag (I believe) who moved him to CB because his attributes there, along with Timber, suited the style and system he wanted.

With Ten Hag saying that midfield and attack are our priorities, I wouldn't be surprised to see him return to the position he played in up until around 2019 and potentially be used as a utility player as well to fill in on the left or at the back, should he need to.

It seems to me that his versatility and main strengths (aggression, ball winning, ball progression and passing) could see him playing a couple of different positions. With Ten Hag's apparent stance on Maguire, I don't see him dropping Maguire or Varane at CB and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play like 70% of games in midfield, with the others being split into some games at CB and maybe a couple of games at left back or in a back 3.

Could be a brilliant signing though. Tenacious, tough, no bs style of player. His nickname of 'the butcher' is one I can see our fans picking up quite happily as well. He's also at a great age, having not long turned 24. The character and mentality he'd bring in is something that could see him ending up as a bit of a cult hero with.

Martinez, Bruno and De Jong is (on paper at least) an elite midfield. It has everything from energy and work rate to creativity and aggression as well as being so much more press resistant to a pivot of Scott and Fred. It can keep the ball, progress it, win it back and create moments of magic. Theoretically we go from having a midfield that's probably in the bottom 25% in the league, to instantly being one that's more like in the top 25%

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Surely being named in the serie a best 11 means something.
Means something, but not that he should be valued higher than Martinez who has a lot more going for him. As I said, if Bremer is valued 50m, then 55m/60m for Martinez is about right. Also compared to (apparent) transferfees of Botman and Ake, it is not a crazy fee at all. Don't get me wrong, 6 months ago I would have said 55-60m is a crazy amount for him. However; given whats happening in the market it's not so crazy at all - especially considering Ajax never wanted to sell and holds the levetage of a 3 yr contract. A 55-60m fee is on the high end, but still in line with other transferfees on the market.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Pokémon. Gotta sign em all.

Im looking forward to seeing how he helps us in possession and in the transitions. If he’s so great 1 v 1 it should in theory allow us to push higher up and he can also step into midfield and play a pass through the lines. I wonder who gets dropped for him? Most likely Harry?

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Because we're not being linked another? How are you sure he is not?
Because Ten Hag very publicly stated that he wasn't good enough for the DM spot, at Ajax, so unless Ajax is way better than United, he's not going to play there(unless in emergencies of course).

romufc

No. Why do people keep saying this?
Various reasons actually.

He has played DM and got praise from ETH
Ten Hag has said mid and attack is what they need to focus on
We have 6 CB's at the club.

romufc

Because Ten Hag very publicly stated that he wasn't good enough for the DM spot, at Ajax, so unless Ajax is way better than United, he's not going to play there(unless in emergencies of course).
Have you got any links to this? If it was a public calling out, there must be articles.

Contrary to your point, Ten Hag has also said:

"At the beginning of the season we were looking for a brain for central midfield," Ten Hag said at the time. "We knew Martinez had played in central midfield, but could he do it in Ajax's system? We tried him there and we saw good things.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/tenhag-martinez-man-utd-arsenal-27437840

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Have you got any links to this? If it was a public calling out, there must be articles.

Contrary to your point, Ten Hag has also said:

"At the beginning of the season we were looking for a brain for central midfield," Ten Hag said at the time. "We knew Martinez had played in central midfield, but could he do it in Ajax's system? We tried him there and we saw good things.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/tenhag-martinez-man-utd-arsenal-27437840
If you've read the topic you'd know. He said it on public television, but it's in Dutch, the english version of it has been posted like 50 times already in this topic

Status
Not open for further replies.